Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

WhiteHowler posted:

We just finished at a hair under four hours, halfway through year 3. People started playing a lot faster, at least.

I think Seafall just isn't my kind of game. Two people appeared to enjoy it, the other three seem to vary between being bored with the game and being actively angry at it.

Trying to decide on a graceful way to bow out of the campaign without damaging friendships (these are all people I like but don't get to play games with very often).
Give the game to the players who liked it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

PMush Perfect posted:

Give the game to the players who liked it?
One of the two players who liked it owns the game. I just hate ditching a campaign in progress, but I really don't want to play again any time soon.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Regarding teaching more complex games, I've had differing experiences. I've had a guy who never played anything more complex than LotR Risk come in second in his first game of 1830 and I've had people give me blank stares when teaching something relatively simple like Codenames. I think it has a lot more to do with the person than the game. I often think that if my start in the hobby had been Ticket to Ride I would have been turned off from boardgames.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
It's part of human nature that if you think something is hard, you won't learn it very well, so people who just go in expecting it to be overcomplicated aren't exactly wrong. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Played my first game of War of the Ring

I played the Free Peoples. My daughter delighted in putting a bunch of dice in the hunt box and really made it impossible to move the fellowship and terrified me to go through Moria.

I left Gondor tantalizingly weak while I strengthened Rohan and the elves. Legolas marched from Lorain stood next to Moria, when she recruited in moria the group left and met up with the Woodland elves and they both marched into Dol Guldor. Gandalf and Ronan Marched into Isenguard and I managed to capture both and hold them in 1 turn winning a free peoples military victory.

On the back of a razed Gondor and dead Aragorn but hey wins a win.

Game is super fun.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Bombadilillo posted:

I played the Free Peoples. My daughter delighted in putting a bunch of dice in the hunt box and really made it impossible to move the fellowship and terrified me to go through Moria.

I left Gondor tantalizingly weak while I strengthened Rohan and the elves. Legolas marched from Lorain stood next to Moria, when she recruited in moria the group left and met up with the Woodland elves and they both marched into Dol Guldor. Gandalf and Ronan Marched into Isenguard and I managed to capture both and hold them in 1 turn winning a free peoples military victory.

Game is super fun.

Username and post combo!!

Yeah game owns, a lot.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bombadilillo posted:

Game is super fun.

Free Peoples Military is the rarest kind of victory, treasure it. By the next time you play someone will have learned about DEW and you'll start seeing the race against time that makes the game feel really thematic.

The thing that bugs me most about WOTR is the whole chunk of the map west of Rivendell. Each side has a stronghold there, but it's never ever used because the game objectives and the geography force everyone into different routes.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
I just can't stop playing the dam game. Just finished our 5th war of the ring in 2 days. Expansions arrived today. Can't wait till tomorrow!

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Jedit posted:

The thing that bugs me most about WOTR is the whole chunk of the map west of Rivendell. Each side has a stronghold there, but it's never ever used because the game objectives and the geography force everyone into different routes.

Not sure which one but one of expansions addresses this problem to some degree but I agree, it doesn't get used much unles free people gets "fear fire foe" event card early.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
It's 2.40am. gently caress it. Time for another month of pandemic legacy cos we are both drunk.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

I've been reading the rules for Keyflower in preparation for a potential first playthrough today. The game itself looks really interesting, but the rulebook has to be one of the worst I've seen in a long time.

The biggest crime of the rule book is that it fails to properly explain what the main game mechanics are. It immediately dives into minutiae about all the different components and rules, including ones that don't come into play until late in the game, and completely skips over the why. As an example, one of the coolest mechanics is that you can place workers in another player's village. You still get all the benefits from the action, and you can even block an action in another player's own village, but the advantage for the tile's owner is that he will get to keep your workers at the end of the round. This means that it may be worth bidding extra on a particularly awesome tile, since it can bring a steady stream of outside workers to your village.

This is a really clever and unique mechanic, but you wouldn't know it if you just read through the rules. On page 5, they briefly mention that you can place workers in other villages, and then on page 7, one bullet point in a list of five says that you get to keep all workers in your village, and you're just supposed to figure out that this is a game-defining set of rules. In my case, it didn't click until I watched an instructional video (the Watch It Played one), which actually took the time to stress these core concepts, and present them in an order that makes sense.

Then there's a bunch of weird word choices, unsightly walls of text, and absolute clunkers of sentences, like this one:

quote:

In the 3 to 6 player games it is recommended that players do not place tiles with roads so as to prevent tiles being placed next to the water side of their home tile, as this would prevent them scoring a bonus from the Sea Breese boat tile in the event that they acquire this.

This sentence is printed two whole pages before the Sea Breese tile is first introduced, so if you're reading the rules for the first time it is guaranteed to make zero goddamn sense.

Anyway, rant over, PYF awesome or terrible rule book.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Yeah the Keyflower rulebook is surprisingly bad for a game whose mechanics can probably be summarized in <10 sentences. Beyond that it's mostly just learning the setup for different player counts, and the iconography which is pretty consistent and intuitive I think.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
Strange question, maybe, but here we go:

I was recently gifted a well-used copy of Axis & Allies 1940. The previous owner is a smoker and has cats and so the board is covered in a fine layer of dust/ash/hair/whatever. Is there anything I can use to clean this off with that won't damage the board or smear the ink?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Gau posted:

I was recently gifted a well-used copy of Axis & Allies 1940. The previous owner is a smoker and has cats and so the board is covered in a fine layer of dust/ash/hair/whatever. Is there anything I can use to clean this off with that won't damage the board or smear the ink?

A light amount of soap and water?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

My biggest problem with ADP is counting uncontrolled population to make sure the marker is in the right place. COIN control is pretty easy, but I always end up double counting some provinces for uncontrolled.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Gau posted:

Blot it with a very slightly wet paper towel, wipe down with dry one (test spot a corner first). Stuff the inside of box and wrap components with laundry dryer sheets overnight to absorb the smell. Curse people who smoke inside their homes because they're only destroying the value of their asset.

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

Kitchen Rush's Kickstarter is ending soon. Is there any great reason to back it instead of just waiting for the retail release?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Jedit posted:

Free Peoples Military is the rarest kind of victory, treasure it. By the next time you play someone will have learned about DEW and you'll start seeing the race against time that makes the game feel really thematic.

What's DEW?looked it up. Shouldnt have. Havent played Shadow yet.
It felt rare. I was burning almost all my spare troops. If I failed my assault or I got kicked out of a stronghold I just would not have the troops to try again and I had ignored fellowship movement so I would have been screwed.

The North west looks like a stronghold you could sneak into, but you don't start with enough troops there so you will most likely be spotted working the AT war track and mustering there. I like the thematic pace of seeing "oh no, building an army over there."

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jun 11, 2017

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

EnjoiThePureTrip posted:

Kitchen Rush's Kickstarter is ending soon. Is there any great reason to back it instead of just waiting for the retail release?
The reasons given on the kickstarter itself are these (copied directly from the FAQ on the kickstarter):

- To help us bring this brand new game to life.
- To get the stretch rewards that will get unlocked during this campaign for free. Afterwards, while stock lasts, they will be available for sale as separate product.
- Even if the game ends up hitting the retail market, it is quite likely it will have a higher price than 55$ due to its high manufacturing cost.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I have a couple of rules questions for Feast for Odin:

On the exploration tiles, do you have to cover up the "inside" squares to cover a new income step? I thought yes but there aren't the same concentric squares as on the home tile. Specifically for the tile with two tracks (I think it's Greenland) do you need to fill the whole lower left corner before you can cover the 0 on the higher track?

Can you trade sheep/cows into hides/robes with the trade actions?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Aston posted:

I have a couple of rules questions for Feast for Odin:

On the exploration tiles, do you have to cover up the "inside" squares to cover a new income step? I thought yes but there aren't the same concentric squares as on the home tile. Specifically for the tile with two tracks (I think it's Greenland) do you need to fill the whole lower left corner before you can cover the 0 on the higher track?

Can you trade sheep/cows into hides/robes with the trade actions?

The rules for income stay the same. You need to cover everything below and to the left of the income so yes, to get the second track (even covering the 0 spot) you have to obey the rules. Bonuses and "mountains" on exploration tiles are considered filled in.

Yes, you can upgrade livestock.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I taught a friend to play Codenames. When it came to their first go as the spymaster, they stared at the cards in front of them for about ten minutes. Suspense built as we wondered what this ultra-clue was going to be.

Then they very slowly read out one of the words on the cards.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Gort posted:

I taught a friend to play Codenames. When it came to their first go as the spymaster, they stared at the cards in front of them for about ten minutes. Suspense built as we wondered what this ultra-clue was going to be.

Then they very slowly read out one of the words on the cards.

Deliberately?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I agree about Keyflower. I bought it used, read the rules and went through the components, and put it back on the shelf.

I know I'm (probably) missing out by doing so but I know it's going to be one of those games where playing the first time is going to be a learning experience with lots of back and forth to the rulebook, so it's kind of waiting for us to be in the mood for that, which is basically never.

e: Also I'm biased because a factor is the fact that bidding is one of my least favorite mechanics, and guess what Keyflower is chock full of?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Mister Sinewave posted:

I agree about Keyflower. I bought it used, read the rules and went through the components, and put it back on the shelf.

Watch a video on how to play. Rulebook is crap. Also auctions are cool and good.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Auctions are wonderful concepts in both theory and practice for other people to glow happily over engaging in.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Mojo Jojo posted:

Deliberately?

No, I think they're just brain-dead

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I'm trying to even out my collection with less wargames, even though those are my favorite to play solo.

What are the best multiplayer games that also either play well solo or have their own solo modes? Seeing Viticulture mentioned is what made me think of this.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

A Feast for Odin is by a significant margin my favorite game in that category.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Had a no-show for TTS games night, so ended up playing Jaipur.

It just might be my new favourite light 2-player game.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mister Sinewave posted:

I know I'm (probably) missing out by doing so but I know it's going to be one of those games where playing the first time is going to be a learning experience with lots of back and forth to the rulebook, so it's kind of waiting for us to be in the mood for that, which is basically never.

e: Also I'm biased because a factor is the fact that bidding is one of my least favorite mechanics, and guess what Keyflower is chock full of?

I hate auctions, but I don't mind Keyflower. They're less auctions and more of a blocking maneouvre, with the added twist that you can pay the eventual winner of an auction to set the currency used for it. (In fact it's one of my favourite strategies: activate and win the green meeple producer in Spring, then activate the Summer green meeple building with a green meeple.)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The most overlooked rule in Keyflower is that if you're losing an auction you can take your guys back, and then rebid later if you want as long as you follow the meepleist pro-segregation rules of Keyflower.

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

Jolly good show, eh old man?

Mister Sinewave posted:

Auctions are wonderful concepts in both theory and practice for other people to glow happily over engaging in.

Auctions are a lazy mechanic that passes the onus of balanced pricing into the players and exaggerates skill differences disproportionately :colbert:.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

al-azad posted:

The most overlooked rule in Keyflower is that if you're losing an auction you can take your guys back, and then rebid later if you want as long as you follow the meepleist pro-segregation rules of Keyflower.

Anecdotally, the most-overlooked is that you want to have been building a place to put a turn-order tile that you win in Winter.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

al-azad posted:

wait you can take them fully back behind your screen and everything? I thought that once you had set a group as a work-party they were locked together til death or the end of the round.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Mr. Squishy posted:

wait you can take them fully back behind your screen and everything? I thought that once you had set a group as a work-party they were locked together til death or the end of the round.

You can't return them behind your screen but you can use them to bid/work on another tile.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Mighty Eris posted:

Auctions are a lazy mechanic that passes the onus of balanced pricing into the players and exaggerates skill differences disproportionately :colbert:.

Except Keyflower auctions don't do that, just sayin.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

COOL CORN posted:

I'm trying to even out my collection with less wargames, even though those are my favorite to play solo.

What are the best multiplayer games that also either play well solo or have their own solo modes? Seeing Viticulture mentioned is what made me think of this.

Multiplayer games I own with a solo mode:

I love the solo mode:
- Forge War
- Feast for Odin
- The Colonists
- Merkator
- At the Gates of Loyang
- Fields of Arle

I like the solo mode:
- Ora et Labora
- 51 State - New Era

I'm indifferent about the solo mode:
- Glass Road
- Pandemic

Never played the solo mode but heard good things about :
- Space Alert
- The Testament of Duke de Crezy

Selecta84 fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jun 11, 2017

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

COOL CORN posted:

Mage Knight

Also, given your propensity for madness, maybe check out Magic Realm. I really doubt it's good but it's got a reputation.

cenotaph fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
How's the Steam port of Pandemic?