Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ZeroCount posted:

This shouldn't be an issue though right? The rules state that a magic match is decided when someone wins 2, it's not actually a best of 3. I've never done it but you should be able to hand over a match-slip with a dozen draws marked down without raising any trouble.

i think theoretically it makes your tiebreakers worse (ergo you're worse of with a 2-0-1 victory in a match then a 2-0) but the margins would be so thin as to never realistically matter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

mandatory lesbian posted:

i think theoretically it makes your tiebreakers worse (ergo you're worse of with a 2-0-1 victory in a match then a 2-0) but the margins would be so thin as to never realistically matter

Game win percentage is second (or third?) tiebreaker after opponent match win percentage I think. So it's true but you're right about never mattering.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Just won a PPTQ playing UR Control. I have never run that hot and drawn so well. 6-0 in matches beating the mirror twice, Marvel twice, B Zombies, and GB Delirium in the final. I can post the list if anyone wants. Has anyone here ever been to a RPTQ before? Is it just full of try-hard rules lawyers or just regular schmoes?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

TwistedNails posted:

Lol, wow. I've only ever played constructed and sealed (pre-releases) in stores, that seems like a really dumb rule.

It's the best rule. Giving players the option to switch to another pack is a horrible idea. Otherwise players can start deciding packs are "too good to pass ;)" and start requesting new ones. Players get the packs they get, and can either drop and go or continue drafting so they can play.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

GoutPatrol posted:

Just won a PPTQ playing UR Control. I have never run that hot and drawn so well. 6-0 in matches beating the mirror twice, Marvel twice, B Zombies, and GB Delirium in the final. I can post the list if anyone wants. Has anyone here ever been to a RPTQ before? Is it just full of try-hard rules lawyers or just regular schmoes?

They are usually the better grinders but it's a mix. It's about the same level of competition as day 2 of a SCG open.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

BJPaskoff posted:

It's the best rule. Giving players the option to switch to another pack is a horrible idea. Otherwise players can start deciding packs are "too good to pass ;)" and start requesting new ones. Players get the packs they get, and can either drop and go or continue drafting so they can play.

Ah, good point

Alaan
May 24, 2005

It really only became an issue with special inserts. A foil valuable plus a regular valuable could happen but it would never get close to the value of Force+potential pricy foil or something.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

ZeroCount posted:

This shouldn't be an issue though right? The rules state that a magic match is decided when someone wins 2, it's not actually a best of 3. I've never done it but you should be able to hand over a match-slip with a dozen draws marked down without raising any trouble.

I've done this before. It was actually neat in KTK when it was a mix of the "gentleman's draw" and that red sorcery that dealt X to opponent and 4 to yourself so it ended in a draw.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

GoutPatrol posted:

Nice work. I'd be down to see the list, definitely is a deck that when your draws cooperate you can just clean up. I've been playing it lately because I really like pull from tomorrow

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Alaan posted:

It really only became an issue with special inserts. A foil valuable plus a regular valuable could happen but it would never get close to the value of Force+potential pricy foil or something.

I don't think you can get a normal foil in the same pack as an invocation/masterpiece/expedition/whathaveyou

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Chill la Chill posted:

I've done this before. It was actually neat in KTK when it was a mix of the "gentleman's draw" and that red sorcery that dealt X to opponent and 4 to yourself so it ended in a draw.

What card was this? I thought I had a pretty good breadth of knowledge of the cards that existed, but I can't for the life of me come up with something that matches this, unless you're horribly misremembering Sarkhan's Rage.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Has any one here been trying out the Vehicles builds with Spell Queller as in 4-color or Esper?

I want your thoughts.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

What card was this? I thought I had a pretty good breadth of knowledge of the cards that existed, but I can't for the life of me come up with something that matches this, unless you're horribly misremembering Sarkhan's Rage.

That was it.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

DangerDongs posted:

Has any one here been trying out the Vehicles builds with Spell Queller as in 4-color or Esper?

I want your thoughts.

I lost to a guy on that the other day. Seemed fine if he found his colors.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
lol @ being banned from the scg chat for 20 minutes for saying "boohoogland"

what a bunch of herb rear end bitch mods

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

80s James Hetfield posted:

You were timed out by hoogland himself. He is a mod in that chat for some reason. He does it all day long. This is how thin skinned this person is.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Since it was Hoogland that banned you, watching this will make you feel better https://clips.twitch.tv/InterestingLittleTigerDendiFace

My favorite part of chat today is how someone said that Craig was dabbing after he said something like "on fleek" and someone replied "No, that's Ryan Overturf" and their response was "lol, that mental image is funny" - woooosh right over their head.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Sickening posted:

You were timed out by hoogland himself. He is a mod in that chat for some reason. He does it all day long. This is how thin skinned this person is.

why won't this man let me harass him :cry:

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
it's me, im the guy who gets upset over being muted for 20 minutes but thinks other people are thin skinned

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

I mean he's probably thin-skinned but God every post you make seems to out yourself as this tremendous loving rear end in a top hat

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

little munchkin posted:

it's me, im the guy who gets upset over being muted for 20 minutes but thinks other people are thin skinned

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Thick skinned people must feel leathery.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

DangerDongs posted:

Thick skinned people must feel leathery.

Yeah it takes a lot of time and effort keeping it supple.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Do you have to apply special polish, like with couches?

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Grape shot with one prior spell cast to kill two 1/1 death's shadows. I love modern

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dehtraen posted:

Grape shot with one prior spell cast to kill two 1/1 death's shadows. I love modern

And shadow still wins.

Edit: I am half tempted to play a single Ongoing Investigation in Temur Energy mostly for the exile a creature from your graveyard effect.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm not alone in being tired of Death's Shadow, right?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Star Man posted:

Its been on camera a lot. Did they release the meta numbers yet?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Star Man posted:

Nope, I just wish it would go away.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Guys I thought Modern was an incredibly healthy and diverse format what happened??????????

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

Guys I thought Modern was an incredibly healthy and diverse format what happened??????????

If I were todd I would be pretty happy going into this top8. Its his to lose.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Sickening posted:

If I were todd I would be pretty happy going into this top8. Its his to lose.

It's always his to lose and then he loses in the top 8. Still, wish things go his way in the top 8 for once. Especially because he's playing the deck I play, Eldrazi Tron, the best deck.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Sickening posted:

Its been on camera a lot. Did they release the meta numbers yet?

Yeah, it's on the website

Top 8: 6 Grixis Shadow, Eldrazi Tron and Living End

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Eeesh

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Lone Goat posted:

The same thing that happens after a while a more or less static format is intensively played: the "best deck" (or his more common cousin, the "best deck except for a couple of othrer decks that are MUCH worse against the rest of the field") is discovered, and suddenly you have a 3-4 deck metagame.

The only reason legacy is not like this is that it's a dying format and pro are not so interested in breaking it.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
People always cry about format getting solved or broken and whine about how no metagame is healthy. Something happens, a deck or archetype has its moment in the sun, people learn how to beat it, and the metagame evolves and people find a new deck to whine about. This isn't necessarily true of standard because the card pool there is much more limited, but in Modern and beyond, It seems to me like people just want reasons to complain when they personally aren't getting to win all the time with their favorite archetype.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Yeah, it's on the website

That is a really huge conversion rate for the numbers as far as the top8 is concerned. That day two meta looks pretty loving healthy though.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I dunno, it seems to be a matter of being able to beat Grixis Death's Shadow and if you can figure out how to weather other tier one decks.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I still love death's shadow but would probably sleeve up Abzan traverse for my next store event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Wrong

4 Grixis
2 eldrazi tron
1 dredge
1 living end