Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Longbaugh01 posted:

I thought Alice had very quickly lost the knowledge she gained as a niffin, and that was just some of the last of it when she told Quentin he hosed up. Two months later or whatever it was, and it's probably all gone.

My take was that she has the knowledge, but she has to re-learn how to use that knowledge in a human body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
So when is this season going on Netflix so I can finally catch up?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That was fuckin excellent.

Josh fuckin rules.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Blazing Ownager posted:

Why

THE

gently caress

was sparing Renard the right thing to do?

If I was in Julia's shoes in that scene my only deep regret would be I didn't have two bullets to kill them both. I'd probably shot Lady Underground first just to make Renard watch. The fact she knew what was going on and let it go on gives her a big gently caress you in my book.

ED: Seriously I am literally thinking of a reason shooting Renard, seriously, would be wrong and can find none. He's just going to come back and murder more people in vengeance for John. Lady Underground clearly sucks and will abandon post again. Blow his head off and poo poo down his neck, I say.

Caught up to this episode and thread to see comments for this.

It would've made perfect loving sense drama-wise too seeing Renard is a trickster. It's the logical thing to do, Persephone could've​ been one of Renard's tricks and a case of the boy who cried wolf with Persephone witnessing her son die due to his own transgressions and nature. Could not fault Julia for wrongly calling the bluff.

It would've been poetry. Perfect scene wasted.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Dessel posted:

Caught up to this episode and thread to see comments for this.

It would've made perfect loving sense drama-wise too seeing Renard is a trickster. It's the logical thing to do, Persephone could've​ been one of Renard's tricks and a case of the boy who cried wolf with Persephone witnessing her son die due to his own transgressions and nature. Could not fault Julia for wrongly calling the bluff.

It would've been poetry. Perfect scene wasted.

I don't think that, Lucas. I think it was OLU. Otherwise it makes quite a bit of tertiary characters' screen time and exposition worthless.

I need to re-watch, but Reynard already knew Julia aborted his heir, correct? So, what need did he have of her except maybe intrigue? At that point, Julia and Katie also destroyed his "legacy". What was the purpose of Reynard showing up at all a putting on a show?

Given Reynard, he may be a trickster, but he's also a braggart. He would opine how he got cute deaf west wing woman to divulge information, etc.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Ouhei posted:

So when is this season going on Netflix so I can finally catch up?

Yeah, I just finished binging through Season 1 on Netflix and I can honestly say that the only way I'm ever watching this again is when and if Season 2 goes up on Netflix, Hulu or Amazon without a rental fee. I can honestly say that the last episode in Season 1 was the most screwed up, unwatchable, disappointing, and just god awful sack of poo poo, 50 minutes of television I'm ever seen. I was truly disturbed by the idea that it was totally acceptable to allow and even precipitate the murder of three people and the mutulation of two others in order to advance your desire to murder someone for sexual assault; that was very hosed up.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah, I agree, it was perfect.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

The best part of the resolution to the Season 1 finale was Quentin going on a quest to help his friends, giving his blood to some rando tree witch, and it all being resolved almost instantly after he left by Alice still running on Godpaste.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm going in for a season 2 rewatch. Bonus feature: I can see Julia sassin up the place in tight jeans.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

SLOSifl posted:

The best part of the resolution to the Season 1 finale was Quentin going on a quest to help his friends, giving his blood to some rando tree witch, and it all being resolved almost instantly after he left by Alice still running on Godpaste.

Margo is probably the closest the show will come in regards to have a character on the show that isn't a complete moron.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

radical meme posted:

Yeah, I just finished binging through Season 1 on Netflix and I can honestly say that the only way I'm ever watching this again is when and if Season 2 goes up on Netflix, Hulu or Amazon without a rental fee. I can honestly say that the last episode in Season 1 was the most screwed up, unwatchable, disappointing, and just god awful sack of poo poo, 50 minutes of television I'm ever seen. I was truly disturbed by the idea that it was totally acceptable to allow and even precipitate the murder of three people and the mutulation of two others in order to advance your desire to murder someone for sexual assault; that was very hosed up.

The first season went up in December of 2016.

None of that bothered me. What bothered me was ending the season on many really bad cliff hangers. That was super lazy. I rewatched the end of the episode a day later to make sure I hadn't missed another scene at the end of the episode since the actual ending was so awkward.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Alhazred posted:

Margo is probably the closest the show will come in regards to have a character on the show that isn't a complete moron.

I don't think Julia or Alice are morons. At least Julia...she's just desperate and extremely traumatized what with how a god raped her and murdered her friends.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Alhazred posted:

Trading away her ex-boyfriend's first-born to the faeries was pretty loving moronic.

That said, she is the most no-nonsense character on the show and plays that role very well. Penny is a close second, but he can be a really whiny bitch at times.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

enraged_camel posted:

Trading away her ex-boyfriend's first-born to the faeries was pretty loving moronic.

Wait, you think Margot and Elliott dated?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

enraged_camel posted:

Oh, my sweet summer child.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

radical meme posted:

Maybe I haven't seen the season 1 finale in a while but I never once got the impression it was okay with any of that? Some characters made some awful loving choices because they can be awful loving people, nothing more and nothing less.

Xealot posted:

I don't think Julia or Alice are morons. At least Julia...she's just desperate and extremely traumatized what with how a god raped her and murdered her friends.

And took the body of a guy she genuinely liked to go on a continued rape & murder spree, too.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Xealot posted:

Julia willingly joined a group that pretty much had "sudden but inevitable betrayal" as their motto and Alice pissed of a powerful magical monster for shits and giggles.

enraged_camel posted:

She made a deal where she got power and someone else had to make the sacrifice, while it's not the most moral thing to do it isn't the dumbest either.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Wait, you think Margot and Elliott dated?

I mean, they have a codependent intimate relationship and they hosed.

Blazing Ownager posted:

And took the body of a guy she genuinely liked to go on a continued rape & murder spree, too.

Even before all that she was pretty hosed up by Brakesbills introducing her to magic, loving with her mind, loving it up and leaving her all messed up, and then having a dickhead best friend who basically told her to gently caress off about it.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 19, 2017

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, they have a codependent intimate relationship and they hosed.

We don't even know that they hosed. They were in a drunken threeway with Quentin. Who knows who was touching whose parts.

And even still, one drunken loving between a gay guy and his best gal pal does not constitute dating.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I was just joking.

I mean, clearly they never "dated." But also they kind of do have a "relationship" in every way besides the romance and sex... and well, the sex kind of happened at least once. Even if we don't exactly know their naughty parts touched.

I think derisively and insultingly calling them "exes" is not only figuratively fair but also totally within bounds of two characters who would do the same to any of us.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Alhazred posted:

Julia willingly joined a group that pretty much had "sudden but inevitable betrayal" as their motto and Alice pissed of a powerful magical monster for shits and giggles.

She made a deal where she got power and someone else had to make the sacrifice, while it's not the most moral thing to do it isn't the dumbest either.

Did we watch the same show?

Julia joined a group of people who wanted to make their lives better - they wanted to help each other.

Who did Alice piss off at that point? We didn't learn that til the end of season 2.

As for Margo, I think Margo expected that after Eliot returned / prevailed they would be able to magic / negotiate the return of his child. Not realizing the rules are very different and despite magic, they do not hold the advantage.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

geeves posted:

Julia joined a group of people who wanted to make their lives better - they wanted to help each other.
I can agree Marina and her group, that Julia joined, wanted to make their lives better.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, obviously geeves is referring to Richard's group Julia joins AFTER Marina's goes to poo poo and traumatizes her further.

But like, even though Marina's group was always sketchy as hell it still goes back to the part where Julia had been shown a world that Brakesbills and her best friend tried to take from her (and without any grace or comfort) and she was an emotional and mental wreck when someone said "hey, you're not crazy or alone." Millions of people have been lured to bad decisions by that exact same line.

Julia isn't an idiot, she's a victim. Before Reynard it was Marina, before Marina it was Quentin, Jane Chatwin, and Brakesbills.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

Julia isn't an idiot, she's a victim. Before Reynard it was Marina, before Marina it was Quentin, Jane Chatwin, and Brakesbills.

She almost fried her best friend's brain because he was mean to her, she wasn't a victim when she was in Marina's group.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

She did a lovely thing to try and get back at a friend who treated her like poo poo. Marina didn't tell her there'd be any true danger and when she realized Quentin was in real trouble she came clean and tried to help.

Julia's made a bunch of really bad choices that have hurt people. But she's literally been getting her body, emotions, and mind hosed with by more powerful people (and her best friend) since Episode 1.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Alice, Margot and Elliot were on @Midnight last night if anybody wanted to catch it OnDemand.

I did a thing
Mar 23, 2017

On the chest of a barmaid in Sale, were tattooed the prices of ale. And on her behind for the sake of the blind, was the same information in braille.
The books are legit. :whatup:

The show is good so far. Only on season 1.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Gonz posted:

Alice, Margot and Elliot were on @Midnight last night if anybody wanted to catch it OnDemand.

Was good. Margot and Elliot seemed like legit friends.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

I did a thing posted:

The books are legit. :whatup:

The show is good so far. Only on season 1.

I love the books.

The show gets good when it veers off the path from the books.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Nihonniboku posted:

I love the books.

The show gets good when it veers off the path from the books.

Yeah, this is the correct opinion.

Also, S2 is way better than S1.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

geeves posted:

Wanting to better yourself via black market homebrew magic, sounds a hell of a lot like "sudden but inevitable betrayal" to me. It's not as thought good intentions and betrayel are mutually exclusive.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

coyo7e posted:

Wanting to better yourself via black market homebrew magic, sounds a hell of a lot like "sudden but inevitable betrayal" to me. It's not as thought good intentions and betrayel are mutually exclusive.

I think you two are talking about two different things I think one of you are talking about Marina and her coven of hedges, and one is talking about Richard and the "lets summon a god" group.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Binged through both seasons of this show in like 4 days. Big fan of the show's sense of humor, but does it feel to anyone else like another "magic is dead/dying" storyline is a bit too soon?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

tao of lmao posted:

Binged through both seasons of this show in like 4 days. Big fan of the show's sense of humor, but does it feel to anyone else like another "magic is dead/dying" storyline is a bit too soon?

I see where you're coming from, but I view it as more a continuation of the first storyline/they didn't save magic the first time

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Error 404 posted:

I see where you're coming from, but I view it as more a continuation of the first storyline/they didn't save magic the first time

Yeah I buy that, and from reading about the book series, it seems we've gotten some stories out of order.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Season 3 started filming today in Vancouver.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

STAC Goat posted:

Julia isn't an idiot, she's a victim.

I'd agree but I think she might qualify for both when her only response to the 'Please don't kill Renard' speech was not a gunshot to his skull.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Blazing Ownager posted:

I'd agree but I think she might qualify for both when her only response to the 'Please don't kill Renard' speech was not a gunshot to his skull.

Hard disagree. Quentin went on to successfully kill a god and the result was for the cosmic powers-that-be to dismantle the entire premise of human-controlled magic.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Xealot posted:

Hard disagree. Quentin went on to successfully kill a god and the result was for the cosmic powers-that-be to dismantle the entire premise of human-controlled magic.

Yea but those gods were important. Renard just seems like an escaped convict.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It seems silly to discount the fact that Reynard and his mom were all "you can't kill a god, there will be consequences" and then 2 episodes later they kill a god and there's big consequences.