Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Last Chance posted:

How long do you reckon it'll take them to build that into the OS?

Build what in? OneDrive, outlook.com, etc are all already in the OS. They already have the ability to respond to DMCA takedowns when you try to host things publicly for other people to get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

fishmech posted:

Build what in? OneDrive, outlook.com, etc are all already in the OS. They already have the ability to respond to DMCA takedowns when you try to host things publicly for other people to get.

The ability to detect "unacceptable" media in local storage

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Last Chance posted:

That'd be dead simple, people use audio/video fingerprint tools in Windows all the time already. It's not for lack of ability, but there's nothing really in it for Microsoft to implement it in Windows. It ain't going to make them any money.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Last Chance posted:

In theory it could be done years ago.

In practice Microsoft isn't liable for what's on your local computer so why bother. (Whereas in some places they COULD be liable for what's on your share of their file servers even if they try to disclaim liability for it, hence why they pursue content ID at all.)

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

fishmech posted:

That'd be dead simple, people use audio/video fingerprint tools in Windows all the time already. It's not for lack of ability, but there's nothing really in it for Microsoft to implement it in Windows. It ain't going to make them any money.

dont be mean to me posted:

In theory it could be done years ago.

In practice Microsoft isn't liable for what's on your local computer so why bother. (Whereas in some places they COULD be liable for what's on your share of their file servers even if they try to disclaim liability for it, hence why they pursue content ID at all.)

I don't know, it might be a bit :tinfoil:, but they could use tech like that to seek exclusive deals with content providers and in return MS helps content providers curb piracy or something.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Last Chance posted:

I don't know, it might be a bit :tinfoil:, but they could use tech like that to seek exclusive deals with content providers and in return MS helps content providers curb piracy or something.

Which would probably be perceived as taking legal responsibility for the contents of a billion general-purpose computers, 98% of which will STILL never use the store because either "nuts to the Store", or "what is this Store thing I keep hearing about", or "rolling the dice on torrents has worked for the last fifteen years despite copyright cartel bluster and all infringement notices are e-mail Trojans anyway so why stop now" (the reasons need not be accurate or rational, so long as they affect the decision). That couldn't be worth it for Microsoft, not when media is answered by Groove Music Pass and the movie Store. At least that brings SOME money and isn't a gigantic liability. See also how Apple and Google already have billions of reasons to do exactly this, and Google has been pressed hard about doing this, and haven't shown any signs of even planning to do it on local storage.

Also Microsoft already has anti-'piracy' stuff for Store apps, but that's pretty laser-focused to the AppX domain because of system resources and preventing security breaches into or out of AppX. Thus Microsoft's anti-software-piracy push is basically Windows 10 S and Centennial.

But in your case I'd go for broke and make a tinfoil pyramid to wear. It might even keep out the Redmond Devil.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 1, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Last Chance posted:

It's already been mentioned but it adds what maybe a few hundred million in revenue a year while putting Microsoft at risk of being sued by copyright holders for everything they fail to prevent, now that they'd added a scanning system, And that'll probably exceed any new revenue opportunity.

It's like how it'd be relatively trivial for an ISP to block a large chunk of pirated content that goes on their network, but then that would make a responsibility to attempt to block all, which they couldn't do and suddenly they're liable for a shitload of stuff. Better to only send pestering letters when a rightsholder ask and do little more with repeat offenders than try to force them to upgrade their internet package.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jun 1, 2017

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
It would also be trivial to defeat locally. It would wind up being some service you disable, or a dll you patch, and every P2P app you'd install would just make the change for you as part of the install. It would be a lot of engineering work and negative press for something that wouldn't even work.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
I used to keep my computer hibernating all the time but as of the last month or so it is always woken up on its own when I come back. It had no problems staying asleep in the past. I'd rather not prevent my ethernet adapter from being able to wake itself because I have used that in the past to remotely wake and install software on my machine. Running powercfg -devicequery wake_armed shows only my ethernet, keyboard and mouse are armed to wake, and we don't have any pets in the house so it must be my ethernet adapter right? Running powercfg -lastwake proved useless and it didn't give me any information. I've also looked at my system event logs, filterd down to power Power-Troubleshooter but it only showed me one log and that was from a windows 10 update.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
Does anything show up with powecfg -requests or powercfg -waketimers?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Hungry Computer posted:

This is probably it. Windows Media Player will create a job that wakes the system in the middle of the night daily so it can download updated TV guide listings even if you don't have a tuner card. Very sloppy.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

You've been able to remove Internet Explorer and Windows Media Player since Windows 8.1, and at least by 10.1703 it's fairly up-front: Settings: Apps > Apps & features > Manage optional features; they each present as removable components.

In earlier versions, Programs and Features: Turn Windows features on or off: note (and if desired uncheck) Internet Explorer 11 and/or Media Features > Windows Media Player.

It doesn't save any space but unless you need to use web apps that only work in Trident or playback old WMC things maybe? might as well close the loopholes. You shouldn't even lose any codec compatibility.

But this is just an option.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 1, 2017

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

dont be mean to me posted:

Which would probably be perceived as taking legal responsibility for the contents of a billion general-purpose computers, 98% of which will STILL never use the store because either "nuts to the Store", or "what is this Store thing I keep hearing about", or "rolling the dice on torrents has worked for the last fifteen years despite copyright cartel bluster and all infringement notices are e-mail Trojans anyway so why stop now" (the reasons need not be accurate or rational, so long as they affect the decision). That couldn't be worth it for Microsoft, not when media is answered by Groove Music Pass and the movie Store. At least that brings SOME money and isn't a gigantic liability. See also how Apple and Google already have billions of reasons to do exactly this, and Google has been pressed hard about doing this, and haven't shown any signs of even planning to do it on local storage.

Also Microsoft already has anti-'piracy' stuff for Store apps, but that's pretty laser-focused to the AppX domain because of system resources and preventing security breaches into or out of AppX. Thus Microsoft's anti-software-piracy push is basically Windows 10 S and Centennial.

But in your case I'd go for broke and make a tinfoil pyramid to wear. It might even keep out the Redmond Devil.

fishmech posted:

It's already been mentioned but it adds what maybe a few hundred million in revenue a year while putting Microsoft at risk of being sued by copyright holders for everything they fail to prevent, now that they'd added a scanning system, And that'll probably exceed any new revenue opportunity.

It's like how it'd be relatively trivial for an ISP to block a large chunk of pirated content that goes on their network, but then that would make a responsibility to attempt to block all, which they couldn't do and suddenly they're liable for a shitload of stuff. Better to only send pestering letters when a rightsholder ask and do little more with repeat offenders than try to force them to upgrade their internet package.

Very informative, thank you both. I really don't want MS (or any other software company) to be on the defensive/liable for any content stored on a user's own hardware. Seeing Microsoft working on this fingerprinting technology for their cloud offerings gives me the creeps and makes me paranoid that eventually the common lawmaker might lose track of the meaning behind what's actually stored "offsite" (aka in the cloud) and what's on the user's computer and lump them both together.

Like I said though, :tinfoil:

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Hungry Computer posted:

Nothing for wake timers. Requests shows:

code:
C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg -requests
DISPLAY:
None.

SYSTEM:
[DRIVER] Virtual Audio Cable (ROOT\MEDIA\0002)
An audio stream is currently in use.
[DRIVER] High Definition Audio Device (HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0892&SUBSYS_1043860B&REV_1003\4&165326bb&0&0001)
[DRIVER] USB Audio Device (USB\VID_14ED&PID_29B6&MI_00\6&1730b250&0&0000)
[DRIVER] USB Audio Device (USB\VID_0D8C&PID_1319&MI_00\6&1e62fe&0&0000)
[DRIVER] Legacy Kernel Caller
[DRIVER] Legacy Kernel Caller

AWAYMODE:
None.

EXECUTION:
None.

PERFBOOST:
None.

ACTIVELOCKSCREEN:
None.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Last Chance posted:

Very informative, thank you both. I really don't want MS (or any other software company) to be on the defensive/liable for any content stored on a user's own hardware. Seeing Microsoft working on this fingerprinting technology for their cloud offerings gives me the creeps and makes me paranoid that eventually the common lawmaker might lose track of the meaning behind what's actually stored "offsite" (aka in the cloud) and what's on the user's computer and lump them both together.

Like I said though, :tinfoil:

That would be a government problem, which not even Microsoft is likely to escape, and means you got bigger problems than Microsoft doing a thing.

And most lawmakers already have no clue about where data is.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

Klyith posted:

this looks like the real solution, thanks

Update: I tried doing this and it seemed to be working for a while, but recently I've noticed a window popping up and dying again. I'm going to try to disable the Office click to run service.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Something neat I just discovered - when you go to open or save a file, you get a window pop up with the Places Bar on it. The bar comes in two flavours, one is just like the standard Explorer window with a file tree. The other, more old fashioned version, looks something like this:

And I've always found that none of the default locations were ever any use to me. Good news is that you can change the useless locations to ones of your own choosing.

(copied and modified from instructions here on doing it in XP)

1) Launch the Group Policy Editor (Gpedit.msc)
2) Go to User Configuration | Administrative Templates | Windows Components | File Explorer | Common Open File Dialog.
3) Double-click the Items Displayed In Places Bar setting.
4) In the resulting dialog box, select the Enabled option.
5) Type the paths to your custom folder locations in the Item 1-5 text boxes and click OK

Now you've gotten rid of the useless locations Windows came with and have your own :) It even keeps your custom icons if you've gone and changed them which is nice.

Just a little thing, but handy if you hate having to always drill through folders to reach the ones you actually use.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
I did that once a long time ago and forgot it was even possible. Thanks for the reminder. :salute:

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Ever since the Creators Update, my tablet's been doing that stupid 'plugged in, not charging' thing where I have to go in device manager, delete everything under battery and restart for it to actually run off of AC.

Is there something else I can do to fix it?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Call Me Charlie posted:

Ever since the Creators Update, my tablet's been doing that stupid 'plugged in, not charging' thing where I have to go in device manager, delete everything under battery and restart for it to actually run off of AC.

Is there something else I can do to fix it?

My T100 seems to be doing it a lot more too, though I just have to replug it as far as I've found.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Any recommendations for a tabbed explorer program thats not Clover?

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

dud root posted:

Any recommendations for a tabbed explorer program thats not Clover?

Directory opus or xyplorer

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Am I being a paranoid mutant if I kinda want to use the LTSB branch of Win 10 for our deployments on desktops?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

If you have lovely "Enterprise Software" that breaks for inexplicable reasons between major Windows revisions and it takes months or years to get a patch rolled out to support it then you are way safer on LTSB.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

If you have lovely "Enterprise Software" that breaks for inexplicable reasons between major Windows revisions and it takes months or years to get a patch rolled out to support it then you are way safer on LTSB.

Well, our poo poo isn't 100% solid and I run a desktop team that's about half the size it needs to be. Stability and reliability are a big deal.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I had similar constraints with my old job and went with LTSB. You're going to lose out of rapid feature iteration (AND THE APP STORE!) but if you've been sitting on Win7 for going on 10 years like I expect then getting up to 2016 LTSB is such a massive feature jump that you probably won't care too much about the feature trickle coming out of the standard release channel.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

If you're behind a WSUS you can lock down updates anyway until they're tested working.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Deferring updates on the standard release version because a feature change breaks app compatibility means you also have a mess of CVEs you also aren't patching for. With the LTSB you at least somewhat decouple the security updates from the ones that modify functionality of the OS which somewhat reduces the risk of application compatibility issues. If you aren't prepared to roll out everything MS pushes on patch Tuesday within 30 days hell or high water then you're better off sticking to LTSB.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Why is HDR display support under the "creators update" such dumb bullshit? It worked fine before. Resident Evil 7 for example has an HDR mode built in, before the creator's update you just had to select the HDR mode and it'd switch over and everything was seamless and simple. Now you can't just toggle it in game, you gotta tab out, go into display settings, enable it, then it enables in-game but for some reason if you switch the toggle in the game itself it completely screws up the image (but appears to be working anyway? but all the brightness settings are locked behind that toggle so you have to enable it and you can't configure the brightness because the image is completely hosed). It's loving baffling. Is there a way to change it back to how it used to work?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
there is an off button for the HDR mode.. dunno if it helps. I can't get it to do anything useful when its on.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
When the login screen appears during bootup (which uses the lock screen background) and I press any key so I can enter my password, the background switches to a generic blue logo background. Is there a way to change that?

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

redeyes posted:

there is an off button for the HDR mode.. dunno if it helps. I can't get it to do anything useful when its on.

That's what I mean though, before there was no on or off button in windows, you'd just turn on HDR in a game, and the TV would switch over to HDR and the graphics driver changed the display to the right colour space (which at 4k is 4:2:2 chroma). But now in order to enable HDR, you have to manually set the TV to 4:2:2 chroma, turn the HDR toggle one, then go into the game. This has the side effect of loving your ability to calibrate the brightness settings in like Resident Evil 7 for example.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Disharmony posted:

When the login screen appears during bootup (which uses the lock screen background) and I press any key so I can enter my password, the background switches to a generic blue logo background. Is there a way to change that?

What version of Windows 10 are you running? The latest release superimposes the login field over the background. I think they removed the generic blue (or whatever accent colour you've chosen) background in the Anniversary Update, though I run Insider builds so I'm not positive when it was changed.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Is it not possible to get Windows 7 working with UEFI fast boot? I am running dual boot with W7/W10, and I have to turn off UEFI mode in my BIOS entirely to get the W7 partition to boot. I used a GPT USB to install W7 to a GPT partition, and I am booting using winload.efi.

The boot time doesn't worry me, but I lose HD BIOS/POST which is irritating. Everytime I boot W7 it changes the bootmenu to legacy on reboot too, which is another minor quibble.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

BurritoJustice posted:

Is it not possible to get Windows 7 working with UEFI fast boot? I am running dual boot with W7/W10, and I have to turn off UEFI mode in my BIOS entirely to get the W7 partition to boot. I used a GPT USB to install W7 to a GPT partition, and I am booting using winload.efi.

The boot time doesn't worry me, but I lose HD BIOS/POST which is irritating. Everytime I boot W7 it changes the bootmenu to legacy on reboot too, which is another minor quibble.

The graphical with mouse boot menu Windows 10 has is really some half-booted complete Windows kernel, not just a bootloader. If you ask it to boot anything other than Windows 10 (or maybe Server 2016) it has to pretty much switch itself off and reboot completely, so it doesn't get in the way of the other system.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
Win7 EFI boot is possible, but a serious PITA. Get the newest 7 install disk you can find, and do a fresh install on some spare drive to get the full EFI partition instead of the partial stub you get from a BIOS install of 7. Copy that partition to your original disk, use the install disk to pop a command prompt and bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd

Dropping this here in case it bites someone else: Cortana suggestion database corruption causes it to crash in Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy\CSGSuggestLib.dll. You can recover from this pretty trivially - it's tied to your profile.

There's tons of hits on google for it but nothing out there actually fixes it.

Login as administrator, delete or rename your profile's copy of AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_asasdasdasdas. Create a new profile and switch user to it (this stuff is created at first login) and back to administrator, then copy that profile's version of cortana to your profile.

You can't just copy from administrator's profile since it's got the files locked, but you can copy from any logged-out profile. I'm not sure why it won't rebuild if you just delete the directory - that makes Cortana completely nonfunctional.

Hopefully this saves someone a reinstall.

As an aside - goddamn is it difficult to use W10 without that search box working.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I've also learned the hard way, while Windows 7 can boot in UEFI mode, it requires the CSM (compatibility support module) to be enabled as it appears to still make use of some traditional BIOS services during the boot process, even in UEFI mode.

On some mobos this may also be called "Legacy module" or "Legacy support".

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

stevewm posted:

I've also learned the hard way, while Windows 7 can boot in UEFI mode, it requires the CSM (compatibility support module) to be enabled as it appears to still make use of some traditional BIOS services during the boot process, even in UEFI mode.

On some mobos this may also be called "Legacy module" or "Legacy support".

I've got W7 to boot UEFI fine (it's reporting UEFI mode and the C: drive is formatted GPT so it drat well must be), but I can't enable the full UEFI mode in my BIOS without it stopping at CLASSPNP.sys on boot. So I think this answers my question from before, it just won't drat work no matter what I do.

I miss my svelte 1080p boot logo/menu/bios :(

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

What's the best way to sync a laptop and a desktop, both running Windows 10, so the data between the two matches?

Caveat, I cannot use OneDrive for security reasons.

EDIT: I do have access to a large amount of networked storage, which can be accessed off site using VPN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Does "Full UEFI" mean it's enabling SecureBoot? Because only Win8+ supports that and you'll get the kind of boot halt you are describing.