Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Indolent Bastard posted:

Who actually pays attention during a fire alarm?

me because everyone in the apartment building i'm in is an idiot (especially me, and not just for staying there) and there's been a few legit fires and people suspect that there may be meth labs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
What would be the best design for the smallest possible full bath with tub?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

whenever my bathroom was reno'd they built a short little wall between the tub and toilet so there'd be something behind the tub, the result is almost actually a water closet (plenty of room in front for legs, not much room side to side for... imitating a chicken while taking a poo poo?) and it's really nice

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Suspect Bucket posted:

A (modern) "unit bath" from a Japanese business hotel is probably the optimized layout (usually a 4x6 foot rectangle).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

peanut posted:

A (modern) "unit bath" from a Japanese business hotel is probably the optimized layout (usually a 4x6 foot rectangle).

Stayed in a bunch of these on our honeymoon travels in Japan. They're definitely snug, even for us (both under 5'7"). Plus, there's generally not a lick of wood or board anywhere, it's all plastic or laminate or whatever, because it's gets very steamy when you shower in such an enclosed space, no matter how good the fan is.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Progressive JPEG posted:

Nothing better than poopin on the clock

Suspect Bucket posted:

Cruise ship cabin baths.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Suspect Bucket posted:

Probably something like this (the tub is a deep Japanese style soaking tub)

Or this

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

drat, those are both pretty great!

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
Uh, just put in a tub, you can use it as a sink or poop in it or wash yourself, w/e you need

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
The standard old school bath at 5'x7' isn't bad, door on short wall, sink by door, toilet between sink and tub at far end. All wet utilities in one wall, enough room for towels and such.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The deluxe suite shower on the Seven Stars sleeper train.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
The house I used to live in in Japan had a shower/tub room that was fully fiberglass and vinyl, but it was probably 5x3 shower space with a tub next to it that sunk into the floor a little. The tub was full length and deep enough that I could sit up and still cover my shoulder with water. It really sucked to have to clean but it was luxurious. It almost made up for the trap door toilet that dropped directly into a cesspit under the toilet room (which to be fair did also have a full height urinal).

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

SoundMonkey posted:

(plenty of room in front for legs, not much room side to side for... imitating a chicken while taking a poo poo?)

What if you have a wide stance?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
My uncle has the oddest bathroom setup.

When you first enter the "bathroom", you're in a roughly 5x5' square room. Door enters on the left, on the right is a counter/sink/mirror. Opposite wall from the door is a second door, behind which is a separate room with a shower and toilet. I don't know why there needed to be an airlock in there, but here we are.

The best part?

It's all carpeted

And it's loving fabulous

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I guess during high traffic times (taco night) you might have a line. This way someone else can use the toilet while you are washing your hands or brushing your teeth without it being gross.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
:ohdear:

Just rolled into my parents' home to help while they deal with some unexpected health problems, and I look up at the ceiling...

And now I don't know whether to tell them immediately, while they're still sick, or wait 'til they're stronger before I point out that somehow the kitchen started leaking into the guest bedroom sometime after December.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Facebook Aunt posted:

I guess during high traffic times (taco night) you might have a line. This way someone else can use the toilet while you are washing your hands or brushing your teeth without it being gross.

if i put a little 3' curtain up this would literally be true in my bathroom

DirtRoadJunglist posted:

Just rolled into my parents' home to help while they deal with some unexpected health problems, and I look up at the ceiling...

coughing, perchance?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

SoundMonkey posted:

coughing, perchance?

*coughs* I haven't the foggiest idea what you're talking about.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

DirtRoadJunglist posted:

*coughs* I haven't the foggiest idea what you're talking about.

i mean i'm not saying that if there's enough water for that there's a decent chance there's enough water for mold somewhere but

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

SoundMonkey posted:

i mean i'm not saying that if there's enough water for that there's a decent chance there's enough water for mold somewhere but

Oh, gotcha. I thought you were making a joke about what I might be taking for stress relief while I'm here.

The only reason why I doubt mold is a major concern is because this is a semi-arid region with a low risk of mold. But now that you mention it, that is a good reason to get it addressed right away. I'll get them to call their contractor tomorrow.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

DirtRoadJunglist posted:

Oh, gotcha. I thought you were making a joke about what I might be taking for stress relief while I'm here.

The only reason why I doubt mold is a major concern is because this is a semi-arid region with a low risk of mold. But now that you mention it, that is a good reason to get it addressed right away. I'll get them to call their contractor tomorrow.

hey man, how you cope is between you and the lord

i was also pretty much joking but it pays to at least look anywhere that's easily accessible if you have a moisture issue

i mean i know people with mushroom farms in arizona. if there's moisture, there's a way.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

me irl

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Bozart posted:

Uh, just put in a tub, you can use it as a sink or poop in it or wash yourself, w/e you need
smh if you haven't mastered the waffle stomp

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
Is there an edit of the "this is fine" dog where all the fire has been replaced with water?

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
Honestly that is one of the better pipe clamp repairs I have seen.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I half expect that patch to be the ripped off cover of "how to patch a pipe for dummies"

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Coca Koala posted:

Is there an edit of the "this is fine" dog where all the fire has been replaced with water?
Nah but this emote fills the same niche

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

Atticus_1354 posted:

Honestly that is one of the better pipe clamp repairs I have seen.

I was an environmental consultant on a utilities construction job and that's not far off from what they use to patch up a water main when they hit it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

couldcareless posted:

I half expect that patch to be the ripped off cover of "how to patch a pipe for dummies"

Wish I still had a picture of it, but the old owner of my townhome was putting screws in the wall of the garage and mistook a supply line as a stud.

They patched it with epoxy and something that looked like gaff tape/drywall patch tape. When my father properly cut the section off and patched it up, we noticed the end of the screw was still in the old pipe.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

This is what we'd use in the fleet over a pipe crack, except we might have put a steel plate over the rubber patch. I think that's only mildly jank.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I guess actual repair couplings (or whatever you want to call them) rated for permanent installations are too expensive?

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Jerry Cotton posted:

I guess actual repair couplings (or whatever you want to call them) rated for permanent installations are too expensive?

They're very nice, but a little tricky to apply when you're getting blasted in the face with seawater.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ArcMage posted:

They're very nice, but a little tricky to apply when you're getting blasted in the face with seawater.

No it's not.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

Wish I still had a picture of it, but the old owner of my townhome was putting screws in the wall of the garage and mistook a supply line as a stud.

They patched it with epoxy and something that looked like gaff tape/drywall patch tape. When my father properly cut the section off and patched it up, we noticed the end of the screw was still in the old pipe.

Yeah, it's like when you get stabbed or shot with an arrow, you leave it in there otherwise you bleed out.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Reminds me of emergency patches for submarines.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Kanish posted:

I was an environmental consultant on a utilities construction job and that's not far off from what they use to patch up a water main when they hit it.

I drilled through a waterline one time and that was pretty much how it was fixed.

Called up a company to fix the line they asked "you guys got all your locates"?

"Yup, except for the waterline, but you can see where that one is now..."

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

kid sinister posted:

Reminds me of emergency patches for submarines.

I was going to say it reminds me of the patches you learn about in Navy boot camp. Being airside that was the last I saw of them, but I think they also had rubber slabs in metal cuffs that latched onto pipes too. I never went to the damage control classes.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Blackchamber posted:

I never went to the damage control classes.

and now you're sitting on the bottom of the ocean listing 30 degrees with a pipe gushing sea water all over everyone and you're the only one without broken limbs and NOW HOW SMART WAS IT TO DAY DRINK AT SBARRO INSTEAD OF GOING TO CLASS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

SoundMonkey posted:

and now you're sitting on the bottom of the ocean listing 30 degrees with a pipe gushing sea water all over everyone and you're the only one without broken limbs and NOW HOW SMART WAS IT TO DAY DRINK AT SBARRO INSTEAD OF GOING TO CLASS

oh my god "DAY DRINK AT SBARRO" is the most depressing phrase I've come across in a long time. :allears: