Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I could see quickly Swiftcasting a Veraero or Verthunder if your white or black mana is just below melee combo range (meaning high enough that Manafication would be a waste) and you don't have a Dualcast ready to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Is swiftcast going to be used as a rotational tool in the RDM kit or just as utility?

Dualcast only procs off stuff with a cast time, which means Swiftcast doesn't give you Dualcast, so it's only really going to be used as an emergency fix for your mana (since having a difference of 30+ between black/white screws you over big time) or if you want to get a stone/fire off just before the boss goes invulnerable.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Is swiftcast going to be used as a rotational tool in the RDM kit or just as utility?

I somehow doubt it will play much into the Red Mage toolset, but it might be worth having as a cross class spell anyway. I'd probably take Quelling, Shroud, Drain and play loose with the last two without playing it yet.

I've not played with the simulator to check it all out, but I imagine it's probably not the worst ever idea to use Vercure to trigger Dualcast in a situation where you need to Swiftcast something ASAP like Verraise, or a nuke.

e: That being said, there's not lots of competition for Swiftcast in the actions for a RDM on a must have basis either so it's probably good, just not as good as it is for all other magic users.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jun 11, 2017

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

FortMan posted:

Late to yearbook too. (Warning: Heavenward spoiler)

Feona Elgrande.
Probably last goon on Faerie.

Nah, I'm still on Faerie, as I have a FC that a bunch of online friends and my brother plays on. I always lurk the thread though so I don't know if I count as a goon player.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Harrow posted:

Oh god I hope there's starter gear for the SB jobs because I haven't really played much since like 2.1 and there's no way I could gear up a RDM.

Well I can tell you right now that your DRK, MCH, or AST gets spit out of the intro quest naked with a weapon so that seems unlikely! But yes there's vendor gear freely available and you'll start getting HQ gear from the quests if you haven't done HW questing yet.

From what I remember Ironworks lasts at least until 55-56ish so it's not really "A few levels" and yeah, having the tokens for a weapon will be the biggest boost to leveling speed (outside of POTD, of course, though since POTD is going to be nothing but DPS for a few weeks I'm probably going to avoid it.)

Though having the aether stored for a kinna weapon at 60 is probably a good idea too. Hmm.

Mostly I'm just thinking of fun things to do over the next week while I wait for Early Access.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

mistaya posted:

Well I can tell you right now that your DRK, MCH, or AST gets spit out of the intro quest naked with a weapon so that seems unlikely! But yes there's vendor gear freely available and you'll start getting HQ gear from the quests if you haven't done HW questing yet.

Are you sure? I remember getting a robe and some pants for AST, not a full set or anything but more than naked + weapon. Looking at Garlandtools confirms this (quest reward is weapon + jobstone + robe which includes headgear + pants).

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

The Black Stones posted:

Nah, I'm still on Faerie, as I have a FC that a bunch of online friends and my brother plays on. I always lurk the thread though so I don't know if I count as a goon player.

Me too, san brother. What's your character's name? If you want a body for things, let me know, eh?

Everyman
Jun 4, 2009
Quiz and Friends is recruiting! https://catgirl.bargains/topic/73-quiz-and-friends-kicking-back-with-friends-new-and-old-now-recruiting/ Raiding weeknights 9PM EST to Midnight.

We knocked out A9-12 Savage on a pretty chill schedule, and we're currently looking for some more pals to raid with in Stormblood. Raid experience in this game or others is always a plus, but we cleared Creator with some returning players who hadn't raided in close to two years along with a first timer who never raided in XIV at all, so don't be shy if you don't have a super serious raiding resume.

Right now we're mostly looking for a tank, healers, or a BRD/MCH. Though honestly til we get the patch notes most of us won't really decide on a main. The excitement of mystery roles!

If you're interested, you can post in that thread, PM me here on SA or on catgirl.bargains, or reach me on discord at Quiz#3846.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
Also late to yearbook thing:

Signius Le'Roux
Voted most likely to change jobs 6 times before the next expansion
"What do you mean I need to know mechanics? gently caress it, gonna DPS."

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Magil Zeal posted:

Are you sure? I remember getting a robe and some pants for AST, not a full set or anything but more than naked + weapon. Looking at Garlandtools confirms this (quest reward is weapon + jobstone + robe which includes headgear + pants).

The quest reward was just vendor gear anyways

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Does anyone here remain healers and use a game board like a G13? If so, how do you handle targeting party members?

I bought one a while ago when Amazon had a sale based on the recommendation from a couple of members of my static but while I'm sure I could get used to it as a DPS I can't get comfortable with targeting. When using a keyboard I used the default f1-f8 key binds primarily for targeting party members. I never felt right using the mouse.

Thanks to the class filter sorting it always goes self/tank/tank/healer which is everyone that needs regularly needs immediate reactive healing.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

FortMan posted:

Me too, san brother. What's your character's name? If you want a body for things, let me know, eh?

I think you might still be on my friends list from long long ago? My characters name is Nana Komatsu.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

mistaya posted:

From what I remember Ironworks lasts at least until 55-56ish so it's not really "A few levels" and yeah, having the tokens for a weapon will be the biggest boost to leveling speed (outside of POTD, of course, though since POTD is going to be nothing but DPS for a few weeks I'm probably going to avoid it.)

Though having the aether stored for a kinna weapon at 60 is probably a good idea too. Hmm.

Mostly I'm just thinking of fun things to do over the next week while I wait for Early Access.

Waste of aether. I guarantee there will be vendor weapons around 250 the moment SB drops, much like how 115s existed out of the gate in HW.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Don't get the Kinna weapon. Save your Aether for levelling up RDM and SAM and then get an Aug'd Shire Katana/Epee for 60.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Allarion posted:

The quest reward was just vendor gear anyways

Yeah, you got the level 30ish white chest and pants for your role when you unlocked DRK, MCH or AST and it was NQ, too.

Whether they're that stingy with RDM and SAM of course remains to be seen, but I think it'll probably follow the same pattern. I think the assumption is that you're already level 50+ in something and have been through a good chunk of the game already, so you should have resources to fill in the blanks; if not your own crafting abilities, then at least some friends or FC-mates who can craft or, at the very least, some gil.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm not saying FATEs suck or should suck or have lovely rewards. I'm saying make them better. RNG is a lovely reward. If you need to buff the XP they give, buff the XP. Don't monkey with random poo poo.

This rumored exp buff doesn't preclude any other changes to FATEs, it just seems like a bonus a la Challenge Log. I don't think it's intended for people grind specifically for it (though they will) or get salty about how it didn't pop after x FATEs (though they will). Just from my experience with FATEs, I question them needing some systematic improvement at all. FATEs are good when they're fun to do or have an interesting story, so that's all I really hope for in the new areas. It would be nice to see more of them chain together and affect the world, or have FATEs in new areas continue to be released with subsequent patches.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MechaCrash posted:

Even if there isn't, you can just buy some ilvl 115 stuff in Ishgard. I think it runs in the 20-25k per piece range, and if you're at the point where "what am I going to put on my Red Mage," that shouldn't be an onerous cost. But I'm pretty sure you'll get some ilvl 90 gear, like the other jobs got for hitting 50.

Oh, so there are just NPC vendors I can hit up immediately upon hitting Heavensward to buy iLvl 115 gear with gil? That helps. So you're saying I shouldn't scramble to buy some iLvl 100-110 stuff on the market board before its price skyrockets?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Harrow posted:

Oh, so there are just NPC vendors I can hit up immediately upon hitting Heavensward to buy iLvl 115 gear with gil? That helps. So you're saying I shouldn't scramble to buy some iLvl 100-110 stuff on the market board before its price skyrockets?

You can probably give someone the money to buy it for you the moment you hit 50

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Oh derp they're gonna compact the tokens so Shire weapons will be easy to get for alts. I forgot about that! Though having some Mhachi tokens to upgrade them is a good idea.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mistaya posted:

Oh derp they're gonna compact the tokens so Shire weapons will be easy to get for alts. I forgot about that! Though having some Mhachi tokens to upgrade them is a good idea.

Was the mechanism for this confirmed anywhere?

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

The Black Stones posted:

I think you might still be on my friends list from long long ago? My characters name is Nana Komatsu.

Can't say I have seen you for a while. I'll check once I got back on Friday.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It'd be a stretch if you're not already close to 1000 scrip, but if you have 100 scrip left over this week, you can totally blitz up enough to get one 260 weapon before the all day maintenance of Thursday in case they don't merge tomes as is expected.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Sinners Sandwich posted:

You would make a japanese Kei band blush with that color scheme 12/10

I had to google that, yeah that's about right.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

hobbesmaster posted:

Was the mechanism for this confirmed anywhere?

As far as I can tell, the confirmation is that it's what they did to poetics gear when 3.0 hit. Whatever they do with tomestones, scrip gear has a pretty good chance of costing half of what it does now.

I'm not spending any tomestones except poetics until friday, either way.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The goon guild(s) is still on Excalibur, right? A friend and I will be transferring servers and I just want to make sure it's the right one.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Excalibur today, Excalibur tomorrow, Excalibur forever

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

is stormblood out yet

Kobata
Oct 11, 2012

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

As far as I can tell, the confirmation is that it's what they did to poetics gear when 3.0 hit. Whatever they do with tomestones, scrip gear has a pretty good chance of costing half of what it does now.

I'm not spending any tomestones except poetics until friday, either way.

If you're spending any tomestones, make it lore, since that's most likely to not be very useful. Save up poes and scripture.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Augus posted:

is stormblood out yet

New Expansion "Garlemald Boombastic" comes out on Saturday.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

What they hell do I spend lore on at this point if I don't need gear or another dozen Haurchefant portraits.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I don't need another dozen Haurchefant portraits.

the gently caress is wrong with you

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

You'll probably be able to convert it so just let it cap out and whatever you lose out on, you lose out on, I guess.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Lemon King posted:

I had to google that, yeah that's about right.

I like that Japan has an entire music sub-genre focused around the style of the Goblin King.

I'm a bit concerned that from what we've heard so far Poetics is going to become the singular tomestone for all ARR and HW stuff, so the Scripture tokens I've saved up may be rendered completely worthless on Friday. But then again it isn't like I had anything else to buy with Scripture so if it's gone it's gone, I guess.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

What they hell do I spend lore on at this point if I don't need gear or another dozen Haurchefant portraits.

one demicrystal is like 50 lore to 3500 gold

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Shy posted:

one demicrystal is like 50 lore to 3500 gold

This. Or if the marketboard will give you better returns than that for some of the other lore mats, buy that and flip it. But don't sell anything for worse than this ratio.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

About a week ago there were murmurs about a rotation that used it on cooldown for a very marginal potency increase but I think ultimately people realized it's better to hold onto it for situations where you might want it like moving when you don't have dualcast, fixing mana, etc.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Thundarr posted:

I'm a bit concerned that from what we've heard so far Poetics is going to become the singular tomestone for all ARR and HW stuff, so the Scripture tokens I've saved up may be rendered completely worthless on Friday. But then again it isn't like I had anything else to buy with Scripture so if it's gone it's gone, I guess.

The script vendors will stick around forever so you'll still be able to use those.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm pretty sure they said in the live letter that esoterics, lore, and scripture were all going to be merged into poetics when 4.0 hits.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I wonder if they're going to further reduce the cost of Ironworks stuff or even increase the cap on Poe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Does it matter which company I apply for? I did see each is allied with a different grand company.

• Locked thread