Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Well, we already know from bits of marketing jargon that it's an online-centric FPSRPG, what else should we be comparing it to if not Destiny?

*strokes chin thoughtfully*

The Division?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYDJNf4LyBs

What a clusterfuck of development.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

this guy's just reading the kotaku article verbatim

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Endorph posted:

this guy's just reading the kotaku article verbatim

Yeah, but in a rare move for a youtuber he's at least credited the content and linked to the original. :laugh:

But Yongyea seems to be the guy who's already spent quite a long time bashing Bioware, so it's cool.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

ashpanash posted:

Destiny does actually have a pretty neat story.

Barely a whiff of it shows up in the game. You have to dig through a bunch of unlockables on their website and then rely on other people to help you interpret what's going on. But if you do, you get the feeling like, 'hey, a game with this story in it would be really pretty cool.'

Instead we got Destiny. Which is a mechanically fantastic shooter that has very little else going for it.

It's u

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

The armor in Destiny looks cooler than that the Iron Man knock off-going in Mass Effect: Anthem

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SgtSteel91 posted:

The armor in Destiny looks cooler than that the Iron Man knock off-going in Mass Effect: Anthem

I did like the little fakeout of the 'power armor' opening up to reveal a cockpit as a giant robot.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
i stopped reading this thread 500 pages ago and just uninstalled the game. did i miss anything good?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

MadBimber posted:

i stopped reading this thread 500 pages ago and just uninstalled the game. did i miss anything good?

Watch this first:

Then watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi0Uq7QmKm4

Don't forget to preorder Mass Effect Dylan: Destiny Firefall Battleborn when they have the packs available. I recommend the super ultra deluxe "I never learn" edition of the founder packs.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

MadBimber posted:

Mass Effect is dead and you were wrong to have hope for this game, now where's my free copy.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

JawKnee posted:

so would you say more or less people are playing mp compared to ME3 at this time after it's launch?

No idea but I get full gold games in under 10 seconds so works for me

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Jastiger posted:

Hot Take: I'm enjoying Mass Effect: Andromeda.

Do you have a mod that makes all the terrible design decisions good?

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Or given that this is Bioware, showed something about characters and story. Those are what get people hooked on Bioware games, not art or action (ME3 multiplayer excluded).

Bioware has been bad at stories since at least da2 and confirmed they were incompetent with me3.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

Their multiplayer team is at least implementing proper changes right now, so not all is lost.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You mean like the one intern left at Bioware Montreal?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

geonetix posted:

Their multiplayer team is at least implementing proper changes right now, so not all is lost.

Back in the day I used to implement changes to serial cable Doom 2 multiplayer by editing the using dehack and other tools. It was no more complicated than editing a text file or a simple spreadsheet of values.

Tuning weapon stats is something a literal unqualified child or teenager can do.

exquisite tea posted:

You mean like the one intern left at Bioware Montreal?

This is my assumption too.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Having never played Destiny the Anthem trailer looks to me like "Attack on Titan Fall". I'm...more skeptical of Bioware games than I would have been 5 years ago, but we've got plenty of time to see how this goes (especially since you can be drat sure I won't buy it till about 2 weekends after release).

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

neonbregna posted:

Do you have a mod that makes all the terrible design decisions good?

I dunno, im having fun playing the game. Its fun and serviceable. Does it live up to Mass effect quality? No. But is it terrrriibbllee? No.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Jastiger posted:

I dunno, im having fun playing the game. Its fun and serviceable. Does it live up to Mass effect quality? No. But is it terrrriibbllee? No.

Also no sequels coming so none of your choices (what choices there are) matter in the slightest :toot:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
One thing they copied properly from W3 at least. :v:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I mean none of the choices mattered much from me 1 through 3

Except maybe you get 1 extra convo that goes nowhere.

The notion of choices matter is p dumb. When it cones to multiple games

Just let you color the dialogue with how you want to play it. And only have poo poo that kinda matters in the same game.

Was p much just Wrex Mordin and genophage handling that made it through.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Jastiger posted:

If it isn't good, it must be bad. There are no shades of gray.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

Mass Effect is dead and you were wrong to have hope for this game, now where's my free copy.

You didn't leave the thread, so nothing for you.

DancingShade posted:

Watch this first:

Then watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi0Uq7QmKm4

Don't forget to preorder Mass Effect Dylan: Destiny Firefall Battleborn when they have the packs available. I recommend the super ultra deluxe "I never learn" edition of the founder packs.

already preordered that + battlefront 2. Money means nothing when I'm trying to kill gamer culture

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
It pisses me off that there may be no sequel

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
If they ever resurrect Mass Effect again I'm glad it won't be with Ryder and the crew of the Tempest.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Even if there is a sequel, you can be certain it will do all it can to minimize its connection to Andromeda. I imagine a reboot is far, far more likely.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Jastiger posted:

It pisses me off that there may be no sequel

There is no maybe about it. The whole franchise is shelved.

If you think it'll come back in a few years then you don't know EA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullfrog_Productions

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah thats depressing. The best direction is to make an extension of the original mass effect to tie them together and maybe ditch Ryder. Make ME:A an important step for a new galaxy, but not necessarily a huge important installment in thr series. .
Its such a rich and great universe they have created and its such bullshit that one misstep is shelving the series. The game isnt that bad. Just get the original team for ME1 and 2 and build something better, dont nuke it from orbit in favor of generic_shooter_01

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
the original team is gone dead, Jim

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'm still waiting for Syndicate Wars 3 and Magic Carpet 3 after 20 years so don't hold your breath about Mass Effecting again.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

I know a lot of people are attached to their Shepard, but personally, I would be completely fine with them just rewinding the series to Mass Effect 1 and saying "Reapers never happened, the galaxy is intact, here are some completely new stories".

I mean they could do that without a full reset, but any side-story would inevitably beg the question of what happens to them during ME3 and knowing that like 99% of literally everyone you play as or meet is inevitably doomed by canon would sour that pretty hard.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Generic American posted:

I know a lot of people are attached to their Shepard, but personally, I would be completely fine with them just rewinding the series to Mass Effect 1 and saying "Reapers never happened, the galaxy is intact, here are some completely new stories".

I mean they could do that without a full reset, but any side-story would inevitably beg the question of what happens to them during ME3 and knowing that like 99% of literally everyone you play as or meet is inevitably doomed by canon would sour that pretty hard.

Bargaining is just stage 3. Good luck with stage 4!

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Jastiger posted:

Yeah thats depressing. The best direction is to make an extension of the original mass effect to tie them together and maybe ditch Ryder. Make ME:A an important step for a new galaxy, but not necessarily a huge important installment in thr series. .
Its such a rich and great universe they have created and its such bullshit that one misstep is shelving the series. The game isnt that bad. Just get the original team for ME1 and 2 and build something better, dont nuke it from orbit in favor of generic_shooter_01

One misstep lmao

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dr. Abysmal posted:

If they ever resurrect Mass Effect again I'm glad it won't be with Ryder and the crew of the Tempest.

It's a shame, because I think Ryder herself is the closest Andromeda gets to a saving grace. She's maybe my favorite Bioware protagonist to date, she's just stuck in an awful game.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

DancingShade posted:

Also no sequels coming so none of your choices (what choices there are) matter in the slightest :toot:

This has always been kind of a bad argument. Like, Alpha Protocol is really the only game in the entire universe that did it well. Witcher 2 took it to an amazing extreme, but was far less reactive.
At best if a game does a quick choice flare and branch-back down then it's great in my book.

And while it was waaay toned down, to incompetent levels, in MEA it's not like the OG trilogy was all that much better.

Just write a good story in general, and let me add color, and give me a few short paths, to my character's story.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Rip Alpha Protocol if only Sega didnt hold on to you until like right before ME2

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Dexo posted:

Rip Alpha Protocol if only Sega didnt hold on to you until like right before ME2

It might have helped if they'd made it fun to play too.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DancingShade posted:

I'm still waiting for Syndicate Wars 3 and Magic Carpet 3 after 20 years so don't hold your breath about Mass Effecting again.

Hey, at least we got Dungeon Keeper 3: War for the Overworld.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

fruit on the bottom posted:

It might have helped if they'd made it fun to play too.

Shotgun rear end in a top hat was extremely fun to play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

DancingShade posted:

There is no maybe about it. The whole franchise is shelved.

If you think it'll come back in a few years then you don't know EA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullfrog_Productions
I mean Syndicate did come back :v:. I'd say we can at least expect a Mako racing game.