Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Already refuted unfortunately. Kings managing to succeed in trading up for Futz would've been pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Rick posted:

Already refuted unfortunately. Kings managing to succeed in trading up for Futz would've been pretty cool.

No, it wouldn't have. How dare you. Ugh.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Cool Buff Man posted:

Buddy Hield and a 2017 and 2019 first

Dany Ainge does it again

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Declan MacManus posted:

Buddy Hield and a 2017 and 2019 first

Dany Ainge does it again

*2021 first

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Cool Buff Man posted:

I understand where you're coming from but from my perspective it's basically like Vlade slipping from a precipice like halfway up a mountain, hitting his head on all sorts of comical objects on the way down, but then landing on like a magic trampoline and softly coming down on the peak.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Rick posted:

I understand where you're coming from but from my perspective it's basically like Vlade slipping from a precipice like halfway up a mountain, hitting his head on all sorts of comical objects on the way down, but then landing on like a magic trampoline and softly coming down on the peak.

I mean that's not the way Wile E Coyote/Roadrunner cartoons worked, unless something even worse was going to happen to the Coyote at the top.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Rick posted:

They somehow go back in time and include Cousins and I'm listening.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

That's actually interesting. If they still had Cousins, would Boogie + 5 get them Fultz?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
If you could get that much in return for Boogie he would have been traded for a lot more than he actually was

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

MourningView posted:

If you could get that much in return for Boogie he would have been traded for a lot more than he actually was

All the stories corroborated that Vivek literally thinks Buddy Hield is some kind of Steph-Curry-but-better in the making, I do not believe at all that they got the most they could have got for him.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

EvanTH posted:

All the stories corroborated that Vivek literally thinks Buddy Hield is some kind of Steph-Curry-but-better in the making, I do not believe at all that they got the most they could have got for him.

They definitely overvalue Hield but while I'm sure they got better offers I don't think they were getting offers that blow what they actually got away. The market for Cousins was a lot cooler than I think most people expected it to be.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

quote:

Mavs GM Donnie Nelson is on at least his second visit to Europe, in part to continue getting to know Ntilikina. And now we know that Mavs owner Mark Cuban, while vacationing in Italy, is part of a weekend breakfast in Treviso that includes "French Frank'' and his representatives.

"Donnie has always loved Treviso,'' a Mavs source tells me. "He makes that trip every year.''

The adisas Euro Camp is in Treviso. Just up the road, Ntilikina is playing in the French tournament, which may extend so far into June that he won't be available to be in the U.S. for the NBA Draft on June 22.

That will be fine with Dallas, which views this draft as being about 10 players deep (on one tier), and which views Frank to be in that tier.

As the breakfast was going on, I
asked a source close to the situation if this meeting should be taken as one more step toward "penciling Ntilikina in at No. 9.''

"It sure leans that way, doesn't it?'' he answered.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
With as much interest as the Mavs have shown in Frank I fully expect the Knicks to draft him.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Frank is like the prototypical triangle PG right?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

WhyteRyce posted:

Frank is like the prototypical triangle PG right?

If by prototypical triangle PG you mean "role player with size who doesn't really orchestrate the offense and spots up for threes" nah, he has real pg skills, and his three point shooting right now is only projected based on his U18 and camp stuff, and a little more than 1.5 attempts per game as a pro. It's not a sure thing, when confronted with NBA length etc.

He's not very athletic, you'd hope he'd be Mudiay in China esque slaloming around Bundesliga players, but he's not. He uses his length more than quickness or hops, he does have some nice crafty little bursts of agility. He's really long and does play like a pure point.

I think Dallas is ideal for him, because Rick Carlisle knows how to get the most out of pgs, Dirk is integral to that, but I think Dirk will be around for 2 more years, long enough to help Ntilikina adjust. He's built like a 6'5 Dennis Schröder, but plays almost exactly the opposite. He looks to pass first, not score, he may be a good 3p shooter, not a bad one, and he plays hard on defense, he isnt just a long armed body assigned "defensive potential" because of the body. He knows how to change speeds, he's not on turbo all the time, well he's never really on turbo, but in watching him you get a sense that he has a feel for the game.
If there's star potential, I'm missing it, but if he shoots well and has space to finish drives, he could be a decent NBA starter.

So to answer your question, in some ways he's a triangle pg, but his talent as a creator would be wasted if he was in a Derek Fisher role.

He's not Dante Exum, to further answer your question.

There's a little chance he retires with a better career than both Ball and Fox, because of their low floors. He's much better than Wade Baldwin IV the double policeman, who has a similar body, and was picked around where Frankie will be picked this year.

I think length and size in pgs is tremendously overrated. It might make a fringe guy into a solid role player or a role player into a starter, but it's not 1988 with Magic passing over peoples heads to post ups, if you don't have real skills your length isn't going to make you an NBA player. Wade went about 8 spots too high last year because of his arms. Frank has actually performed as a pg,although in limited minutes as a pro, to justify a lottery pick.

I have very mixed feelings about him. I wouldn't say he has a high floor, there's too much uncertainty about him coping with NBA players, but he looks solid. Plus, if you look at the median NBA pgs, he seems to slot in perfectly. But I can't be sure!! It's possible that every single pg in this draft just becomes a role player and it's possible that all but the second rounders -1 or -2 start for a few years at least. There's so much uncertainty around everyone but Dennis Smith, or Tennis Miff, as I call him.

This is my certaintude index
Fultz- Combo guard multiple all star signature shoe because he's a scoring guard and people like that guy
Smith- Absolute bucket getter and offense creator, maybe awful defender maybe not
Ntilikina- Solid pnr guard and defender, or maybe a role player who can't cope with front line NBA length/athleticism
Ball -middle class man's Ronnie Brewer or a less cunning and athletic and skilled Jason Kidd
Frank Mason is a 3rd pg in training
Fox could be a super dynamic player or he could be hosed into poo poo because his hair prevents him from having a jumper
All the other long combo guards - Dice roll
Evans could be a really good player off the bench or he could be nothing
All the other 2nd round guards - Maybe after some time overseas or in the d-league,
monte morris and williams goss, they don't seem like NBA players

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 11, 2017

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Ntkilina could really use the clichéd NBA +15-20 lbs. It would really help his explosiveness and finishing at the rim.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I think Monte Morris could be an NBA player if he ends up on a team with a lot of scorers on it, he is such a good passer that I could see him being a beloved reserve on like, the Warriors or Cavs when they have enough offense that his outright refusal to look for his own offense won't be that bad.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

MourningView posted:

I think it's easier when you're trading him for concrete assets and it's the offseason. "1st Round Pick" sounds better than the player that usually gets drafted with that pick.

Then again we're talking about Danny Ainge.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

DSJ posted a 48" vertical for his workout for the Lakers :monocle:

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Dejan Bimble posted:

If by prototypical triangle PG you mean "role player with size who doesn't really orchestrate the offense and spots up for threes" nah, he has real pg skills, and his three point shooting right now is only projected based on his U18 and camp stuff, and a little more than 1.5 attempts per game as a pro. It's not a sure thing, when confronted with NBA length etc.

He's not very athletic, you'd hope he'd be Mudiay in China esque slaloming around Bundesliga players, but he's not. He uses his length more than quickness or hops, he does have some nice crafty little bursts of agility. He's really long and does play like a pure point.

I think Dallas is ideal for him, because Rick Carlisle knows how to get the most out of pgs, Dirk is integral to that, but I think Dirk will be around for 2 more years, long enough to help Ntilikina adjust. He's built like a 6'5 Dennis Schröder, but plays almost exactly the opposite. He looks to pass first, not score, he may be a good 3p shooter, not a bad one, and he plays hard on defense, he isnt just a long armed body assigned "defensive potential" because of the body. He knows how to change speeds, he's not on turbo all the time, well he's never really on turbo, but in watching him you get a sense that he has a feel for the game.
If there's star potential, I'm missing it, but if he shoots well and has space to finish drives, he could be a decent NBA starter.

So to answer your question, in some ways he's a triangle pg, but his talent as a creator would be wasted if he was in a Derek Fisher role.

He's not Dante Exum, to further answer your question.

There's a little chance he retires with a better career than both Ball and Fox, because of their low floors. He's much better than Wade Baldwin IV the double policeman, who has a similar body, and was picked around where Frankie will be picked this year.

I think length and size in pgs is tremendously overrated. It might make a fringe guy into a solid role player or a role player into a starter, but it's not 1988 with Magic passing over peoples heads to post ups, if you don't have real skills your length isn't going to make you an NBA player. Wade went about 8 spots too high last year because of his arms. Frank has actually performed as a pg,although in limited minutes as a pro, to justify a lottery pick.

I have very mixed feelings about him. I wouldn't say he has a high floor, there's too much uncertainty about him coping with NBA players, but he looks solid. Plus, if you look at the median NBA pgs, he seems to slot in perfectly. But I can't be sure!! It's possible that every single pg in this draft just becomes a role player and it's possible that all but the second rounders -1 or -2 start for a few years at least. There's so much uncertainty around everyone but Dennis Smith, or Tennis Miff, as I call him.

This is my certaintude index
Fultz- Combo guard multiple all star signature shoe because he's a scoring guard and people like that guy
Smith- Absolute bucket getter and offense creator, maybe awful defender maybe not
Ntilikina- Solid pnr guard and defender, or maybe a role player who can't cope with front line NBA length/athleticism
Ball -middle class man's Ronnie Brewer or a less cunning and athletic and skilled Jason Kidd
Frank Mason is a 3rd pg in training
Fox could be a super dynamic player or he could be hosed into poo poo because his hair prevents him from having a jumper
All the other long combo guards - Dice roll
Evans could be a really good player off the bench or he could be nothing
All the other 2nd round guards - Maybe after some time overseas or in the d-league,
monte morris and williams goss, they don't seem like NBA players

Awesome write up man thank you for this.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
https://twitter.com/markg_medina/status/874050231607771136

They are really not drafting him huh

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

God if Lonzo falls to three.... I don't know what I'd want the sixers to do.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Hand Knit posted:

Wasn't there an article about Lonzo Ball a couple years ago and he had some kind of crazy upbringing?

This is my favorite post in the thread in retrospect

edit Besides this one

Dejan Bimble posted:

You can't foul Andre Drummond and not expect him to make the underhand one waist level scoop shot

Cool Buff Man fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jun 12, 2017

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

euphronius posted:

God if Lonzo falls to three.... I don't know what I'd want the sixers to do.

Dear God please do not let them draft him

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Who do you take at three if Ball falls.

Or do you trade.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

euphronius posted:

Or do you trade.

What if we're in for a Nerlens Noel style draft day stock decimation? I hope there's a camera on Lavar the entire time

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Which NFL player was it that was invited to the green room on the first day of the draft and ended up not even being picked that night? It was a QB, iirc.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Rick posted:

I think Monte Morris could be an NBA player if he ends up on a team with a lot of scorers on it, he is such a good passer that I could see him being a beloved reserve on like, the Warriors or Cavs when they have enough offense that his outright refusal to look for his own offense won't be that bad.

You have a soft spot in your heart for really smart pass first pgs who are not athletic in the way I have a soft spot for undersized defensive minded wings with long arms and tons of athleticism.

You make a valid point, he is the sort of player coaches love to have around, someone who won't make mistakes and who'll just execute the offense. If some coach takes a shine to him he could haunt the NBA for years as a 3rd pg.

In watching more Edmond Sumner, I think I see his injury-proneness as result of poor movement patterns. He's continued to improve at everything in college. His midrange jumper is nice, he's become a better pure point, with a more solid handle too.

There are a lot of high ceiling/ low floor guys from 10-20. In 3 years everyone is going to say "oh the team/team/team/team were so stupid not to take Anigbogu/Anuboby/Mitchell/whoever"

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

WhyteRyce posted:

DSJ posted a 48" vertical for his workout for the Lakers :monocle:

At this point I'm convinced he's going to be the "why the hell wasn't he taken in the top three?" player for this draft.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think he goes three.

Colangelo last week described what he was looking for at 3 and basically described DSJ.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

At this point I'm convinced he's going to be the "why the hell wasn't he taken in the top three?" player for this draft.

Hopefully he will be if the Sixers are smart.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

Kibner posted:

Which NFL player was it that was invited to the green room on the first day of the draft and ended up not even being picked that night? It was a QB, iirc.

Geno Smith.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

euphronius posted:

Or do you trade.

Probably Dennis Smith Jr at this point.

I'd be happy with any of Jackson, Monk, or DSJ though

Jota fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jun 12, 2017

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Here is the colangelo quote to which I was referring

1:08 - fit with Ben & Joel].
I think we'll take the player that will best address some of the things that we want to do with our basketball team, and that fits the vision of where we want to take this basketball team. Again, talent versus fit is something that we clearly always look at, but when you're a young team at the stage where we are, you can't necessarily choose one or the other. I think right now what we're looking at is a situation that, again, the group of players that are available to us at #3 we're probably going to be able to address both with the same decision. But knowing that we've got a couple more things in place, as opposed to last year when we didn't have Ben Simmons and we weren't sure what Joel was going to be. We've got more knowns than unknowns, and I think that's helpful in assessing where we want to go with it. Whether or not Ben is the point guard of the future or whether it's an experiment or something that we go through for a time being, I think it's safe to say that his best attribute is ball handling, vision, bringing the ball up the floor, whatever you want to call him, point forward, point guard, whatever that is, you probably want to put good pieces that will fit with him. And I think good basketball players, and good decision makers, and guys that get out and run and can finish in transition, and shooting, obviously, all of those things would be something that would compliment Ben Simmons in that regard. Defensively, you probably want to put people around him that can guard the point guard in certain cases, because in some cases Ben will be able to guard the point guard and in some cases you probably want him guarding off the ball. But we want versatile basketball players. We want guys that play multiple positions, and I think that those are the types of athletes, those are the types of players that we're looking for.

[13:24 - How many guys fit that mold at the top of the draft?]
Quite a few, actually. Quite a few.

[13:29 - Number wise?]
Quite a few.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Dangit Knicks fans have been focused on DSJ since forever y'all can't do this for us.

Frank NkI'll have to learn how to spell thisilina was second

MourningView posted:

They definitely overvalue Hield but while I'm sure they got better offers I don't think they were getting offers that blow what they actually got away. The market for Cousins was a lot cooler than I think most people expected it to be.

Hopefully Jamal Murray busts (too late he's already kinda good) so Bargnani for a first rounder won't be the most lopsided trade in the last 10 years

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

euphronius posted:

Or do you trade.

Draft Ball and thank LA for passing on him.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Who is LA taking if they pass on Ball?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Looks like Jackson smith or fox.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

When was it declared that DeAngelo is not a PG?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

WhyteRyce posted:

When was it declared that DeAngelo is not a PG?

Magic said they were still looking for a point guard or something to that effect, I think, and they played him off ball a lot at the end of the year (though they were also tanking at the end of the year so). But really I think it'll just depend on who they think the BPA is. If it's a PG they'll move Russell off ball. If they decide they'd rather have Jackson he'll probably stay at PG

• Locked thread