Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Jay Rust posted:

Two questions:

1. What's the best way to break a rival's back that doesn't involve eating their land? Releasing nations seems expensive, and what's stopping the rival from reconquering them again? I have France breathing down my neck as Andalusia but now would be a perfect time to strike, but my Aggressive Expansion is really high and starting to reach the HRE.

2. Does the strength of your army affect whether or not nations with join a coalition against you? I just reshuffled my army, a year or so after my latest war (replacing mercenaries with actual troops now that my manpower could handle it), and in the few months between getting rid of my mercs and raising homegrown regiments, I started getting a coalition formed against me. Just curious if there's any correlation between coalitions and army strength.

1. Releasing nations is pretty chancy, yes. You can always guarantee the released nations but usually I would say this isn't worth it unless you vassalize the released nations and feed your rival to them with reconquest to avoid AE. Other stuff like privateering, embargoes, sending condottieri against them, and various types of espionage are very limited and situationally effective compared to just taking land out from under them. But if they are on the ropes you might have some joy with them.

One other thing you can try next time you fight a war with them, if you can manage it, is wiping their armies, running them up to 100% score or as close as you can get it, and then just waiting for a couple years until your war exhaustion starts to mount. Then declare a white peace. Because you aren't gaining anything from them, they won't lose any of their through-the-roof war exhaustion, and will have to deal with poo poo tons of rebels and probably debt and instability and maybe a crisis while rebuilding their armies from scratch. Granted this is entirely contingent on having the ability and opportunity to crush them in a war to begin with, but if you really want a nation to be down in the dumps for a while, that's what to do.

2. Yeah. The bigger you get, the less eager nations are to do anything about their outrage towards you. They're less likely to join coalitions if the AE is marginal, and far less likely to actually declare a coalition war even if they do join. If you're playing something huge like Ming or Mughals where all your enemies are an order of magnitude smaller than you and not all the same culture/religion, you can run up an absurd amount of AE and as long as your armies are at full strength they'll be content to send you strongly worded letters while you devour half the old world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

Two questions:

1. What's the best way to break a rival's back that doesn't involve eating their land? Releasing nations seems expensive, and what's stopping the rival from reconquering them again? I have France breathing down my neck as Andalusia but now would be a perfect time to strike, but my Aggressive Expansion is really high and starting to reach the HRE.

2. Does the strength of your army affect whether or not nations with join a coalition against you? I just reshuffled my army, a year or so after my latest war (replacing mercenaries with actual troops now that my manpower could handle it), and in the few months between getting rid of my mercs and raising homegrown regiments, I started getting a coalition formed against me. Just curious if there's any correlation between coalitions and army strength.

1. What skasion said. Taking an opponent's land gives them Revanchism, which is a huge boost to taxes, manpower recovery, unrest reduction, and army tradition. The purpose of this mechanic is to reduce the likelihood of a nation getting dogpiled all at once and completely collapsing after a significant defeat, but it can also have a comeback effect; your opponent may have lost some prime real estate but the Revanchism bonuses might put them in a position to eat their smaller neighbors. If you really want to crippple an opponent, then you can try to wipe out their manpower, drive them to 100% occupation, wait for a bunch of rebels to spawn (because occupied provinces have high unrest), and then in a peace deal take war reparations, ducats, and release whatever nations you feel like spending diplo on. This will result in the rival getting no Revanchism, and therefore no bonuses from the war's end, plus they'll be broke with low manpower and tons of rebels (hopefully Separatist rebels who will wind up successfully seceding). Since you're not taking much in the peace deal, your truce timer will be small and you'll be able to declare again not long after.

In general it's best to take land, but if your AE is high then you can still effectively cripple an opponent with a successful war, and you still get something out of it (ducats, plus Humiliation for PP, and probably a weakened opponent)

2. Yes. As you grow, coalitions will eventually stop forming at all because you're simply too big and powerful.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I too miss the halcyon days of YTMND.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Returning cores is always good for busting up your rivals too.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Jay Rust posted:

Two questions:

1. Release nations and guarantee or ally them to avoid them getting curbstomped right off the bat (the releaser nation gets a truce with them but everybody around doesn't..), occupy them until WE is very high so when you peace out they're facing rebellions everywhere, loot them, take their money. If they are weakened enough other rivals will also pounce on them.

2. Yes. Having a huge army deters people from joining coalitions and declaring war on you.

Edit: Yeah everybody else beat me to it, that's what you get for not noticing a new page :v:

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jun 11, 2017

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Playing till 1500 to see if I win the colonialism lottery is not fun gameplay. Thanks.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

uPen posted:

Playing till 1500 to see if I win the colonialism lottery is not fun gameplay. Thanks.
Its going to spawn in England, hth.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Is it normal in eu4 nowadays for Indian and Asian holdings to have matching technology with Western powers? Currently continuing my England relearning game and I am stumped as to how I am supposed to crack some of these areas. All have sufficiently large alliances to make it probably impossible. I just tried to invade India and a 100k stack promptly showed up and wiped out my 50k stack no problem

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

So my Sudanese expedition run is almost done, think I did pretty well for myself. Sadly France is a huge roadblock to any further conquest in Europe, and I'm bored of stomping on Africans.

Anything else I should be doing before wrapping this up? As far as I can tell, there's no easy achievements in reach that I don't already have.

Edit: what in the everloving gently caress, ivory in Greenland? Is that from walruses or something? :stare:

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 11, 2017

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

uPen posted:

why do you need to spawn colonialism for yourself?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

uPen posted:

MrBling posted:

also if it's really that important why not save scum?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

MrBling posted:

Because for some silly reason the rules for spawning it vs passively generating points for it after it's been spawned are completely different. So if you're not in Europe you either need to spawn it yourself or spend a few thousand mp on developing a province to get it. This wouldn't be a problem if it passively generated points for nations that qualify for spawning it.

Pellisworth posted:

also if it's really that important why not save scum?

This is what you have to do which is also not fun.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

I'd be more okay with save scumming if rebooting EU4 didn't take so long (yes I have an SSD)

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Upgrade your RAM.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

TorakFade posted:

Edit: what in the everloving gently caress, ivory in Greenland? Is that from walruses or something? :stare:

Yes? Like it's come up a few times in the thread, but yeah walrus ivory was and is a thing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivory_trade#Walrus_ivory

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

uPen posted:

Because for some silly reason the rules for spawning it vs passively generating points for it after it's been spawned are completely different. So if you're not in Europe you either need to spawn it yourself or spend a few thousand mp on developing a province to get it. This wouldn't be a problem if it passively generated points for nations that qualify for spawning it.

Well you could also set up your own new world colonial nation to get it to spread to you.

Still, spawning Colonialism outside of Europe is nice to help you get a leg up on tech and not fall behind when Europe gets Printing Press way before you.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Schizotek posted:

Yes? Like it's come up a few times in the thread, but yeah walrus ivory was and is a thing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivory_trade#Walrus_ivory

Narwhal tusks as wel.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Woolly mammoth mines

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Mountaineer posted:

Well you could also set up your own new world colonial nation to get it to spread to you.

Still, spawning Colonialism outside of Europe is nice to help you get a leg up on tech and not fall behind when Europe gets Printing Press way before you.

Having a new world colonial nation would take decades and would be fine if that was what was needed to spawn colonialism but it's not. The problem is the huge difference in effort required between spawning it (find america) vs passively getting it (spend years colonizing to get a colonial nation which does jack poo poo for you because the trade routes all go the wrong way.)

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Phone posted:

Alright, sounds good.

I haven't installed it yet, but I'm going to be out of town with my 13" Macbook Pro (i7, Intel integrated graphics)... how much pain am I going to be in playing on a laptop?

Only issue you might run into with playing on a laptop is that you might not be able to play at the highest speed.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

uPen posted:

Having a new world colonial nation would take decades and would be fine if that was what was needed to spawn colonialism but it's not. The problem is the huge difference in effort required between spawning it (find america) vs passively getting it (spend years colonizing to get a colonial nation which does jack poo poo for you because the trade routes all go the wrong way.)

Forming a colonial nation for the sole purpose of getting Colonialism growth is not worth it at all. If you're planning to colonize then go for it, but otherwise just develop your land or wait for it to spread if you're close enough to the spawn point.

Also just finding America isn't enough to get it to spawn. It can only spawn in coastal state provinces that are either a capital, a trade port, or have 12 more more development. Having more eligible provinces will increase your chances of getting it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

uPen posted:

To be honest, simply finding America probably shouldn't be the requirement for spawning colonialism anyway. It should more realistically be "have a province in America" (core, colonial nation, or colony)

Spawning colonialism is not that much of a big deal and you should not stress out about it

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

TorakFade posted:

So my Sudanese expedition run is almost done, think I did pretty well for myself. Sadly France is a huge roadblock to any further conquest in Europe, and I'm bored of stomping on Africans.

Anything else I should be doing before wrapping this up? As far as I can tell, there's no easy achievements in reach that I don't already have.

When you got started did you go ham against Castille? I am allied to Grenada and joined the war against Castille and we have won like thirty battles against them but they just keep coming back; now I'm out of manpower and taking loans, and now Portugal declared war on Grenada, so I just dont feel like I'll be able to succeed.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

When you got started did you go ham against Castille? I am allied to Grenada and joined the war against Castille and we have won like thirty battles against them but they just keep coming back; now I'm out of manpower and taking loans, and now Portugal declared war on Grenada, so I just dont feel like I'll be able to succeed.

Yes the first 50 years were dedicated to punching castile in the dick. I rivaled castile and allied Aragon, then annexed granada when they tried to defend tlemcen from my righteous fury so I had a foothold to park my whole army before declaring. I attacked asap before they could solidify good alliances and every war I grabbed 3-4 provinces (prioritizing Andalusia) and either gave Aragon 1-2 or called them in with favors, the first couple wars were pretty close and had to hide behind my forts for a while but eventually we managed to reduce them to almost nothing over about 3-4 wars and expanding south and east during truces. Once you cut them down by taking provinces, especially the gold one, they're much easier to kick around especially if they never get colonies going and don't get allies like france or Austria.

Honestly I was very lucky that the iberian wedding didn't fire (might be due to the fact we were beating them down literally as soon as truces expired) and france was busy beating up england and didn't bother attacking Aragon or allying castile.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 11, 2017

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Assassination attempts seem like a thing this game should have but doesn't for some reason. I guess it would be annoying dealing with the AI constantly attempting to kill your rulers/heirs, so I don't know how it should be balanced, but it's one of those things that feels like it's missing from this game.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

QuarkJets posted:

Assassination attempts seem like a thing this game should have but doesn't for some reason. I guess it would be annoying dealing with the AI constantly attempting to kill your rulers/heirs, so I don't know how it should be balanced, but it's one of those things that feels like it's missing from this game.

It's probably just a part of EU4 consciously trying to be less character focused, more nation focused than CK2 if I had to guess :shrug:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

QuarkJets posted:

The some reason is that it would be tremendously unfun to deal with.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Oh look my rival killed my 6/5/6 ruler

Oh look my rival killed my 5/5/6/heir and now I'm in a PU

Oh look my rival killed my 2/3/3 ruler after breaking out of the PU and I'm in another PU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Also monarchs didn't really ever assassinate each other in the period anyway. I can't actually think of an example of a ruler dying at the hands of a foreign agent.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I have never once felt that EU4 needed assassinations.That is a hole that does not need to be filled.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

The Zerozeroan rebellion of 1764 is not very well known in popular history.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Ruler Assassination in EU4 would be even more annoying to deal with than Civ4's constant water supply poisoning.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Eej posted:

Ruler Assassination in EU4 would be even more annoying to deal with than Civ4's constant water supply poisoning.

It'd be loving infuriating to lose 5/5/5 or better rulers because of it. The game doesn't need it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Eej posted:

It's a pretty good and effective mechanic in CK2, I could see Paradox successfully implementing something similarly good and effective in EU4

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

Also monarchs didn't really ever assassinate each other in the period anyway. I can't actually think of an example of a ruler dying at the hands of a foreign agent.

The idea of assassinating a tyrannical ruler gained popularity around the time of the Renaissance, and there were also many religiously-motivated assassinations that occurred during the Reformation. Whether or not any of these assassinations were perpetrated by monarchs is questionable but not necessarily relevant if you think of playing EU4 as a nation rather than as a specific person.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

QuarkJets posted:

It's a pretty good and effective mechanic in CK2, I could see Paradox successfully implementing something similarly good and effective in EU4

What exactly would make Ruler assassination good and effective in EU4

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I could assassinate my own ruler without paying 50 prestige.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Eej posted:

What exactly would make Ruler assassination good and effective in EU4

I don't know, I'm not a game designer. But neither are any of you. Paradox has done it successfully before and CK2 isn't so different that it'd be impossible to create something good here.

In the CK2 system it's something that's difficult to pull off, risky to even try, and often there's a price to pay even if you succeed because you need to bring in a bunch of collaborators. In EU4 terms that could mean having to find a country that trusts you a lot that is also well-trusted by the target, spending a ton of Favors with that country + a lot of Diplo points, and maybe suffering a ton of AE, Diplo Rep, and relations penalties if you fail or are caught.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

QuarkJets posted:

I don't know, I'm not a game designer. But neither are any of you. Paradox has done it successfully before and CK2 isn't so different that it'd be impossible to create something good here.

In the CK2 system it's something that's difficult to pull off, risky to even try, and often there's a price to pay even if you succeed because you need to bring in a bunch of collaborators. In EU4 terms that could mean having to find a country that trusts you a lot that is also well-trusted by the target, spending a ton of Favors with that country + a lot of Diplo points, and maybe suffering a ton of AE, Diplo Rep, and relations penalties if you fail or are caught.

and grappling hooks. Grappling hooks work great in other games. Could buy them with mil points?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
re-skin the "force wall breach" button to "equip troops with grappling hooks for an assault", tia

• Locked thread