Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/sadladbukharin/status/873923135057395712

https://twitter.com/ItsTonyNow/status/873925537546334209

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 17:31 on Jun 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Man, that haircut can look really terrible at least when it's shaved on the sides like that. Oh there's an Odal rune too.

Kinda noticed a trend in these pics in that the white supremacists who show up to events in the Pacific Northwest look a bit different than the ones down South, who often seem more like Klan members, or former Klan. The PNW seem more paganistic, Euro-wannabees, etc.

I'm kinda Captain Obvious here but well :justpost:

The Pacific North West breeds a special kind of person...

They think they came from Hyperborea now.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Montasque posted:

The Pacific North West breeds a special kind of person...

They think they came from Hyperborea now.

They know Robert E Howard didn't believe in any of the poo poo he wrote? Well beyond that big strong manly men ruled.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Howard was still pretty racist, but had a special sympathy for the "savage" races and against imperialism that was positively progressive for a white guy from Texas.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
From the Trump thread:
From what I can tell this guy was mixed up with Vanguard America, a white supremacist group which is mixed up with Daily Stormer and so on. When the alt-right has a protest and no Antifa show up, do they fight amongst themselves? The answer is apparently yes.

https://twitter.com/HannaReich/status/873606680143163392

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Crowsbeak posted:

They know Robert E Howard didn't believe in any of the poo poo he wrote? Well beyond that big strong manly men ruled.

youre thinking of hyborea. hyperboria is just where greeks thought the germans came from

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Texas... good?

*checks figures again*

No no, this just isn't adding up at all!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Not a Step posted:

Texas... good?

*checks figures again*

No no, this just isn't adding up at all!

MAGA CHUDs correctly figured the Kekistani was going to make a joke of their very serious demonstration to protect the Sam Houston statue from a nonexistent effort to take it down

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

MAGA CHUDs correctly figured the Kekistani was going to make a joke of their very serious demonstration to protect the Sam Houston statue from a nonexistent effort to take it down
Correct.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

MAGA CHUDs correctly figured the Kekistani

I want to take this sentence fragment to myself circa 2015 and try and parse it.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

these are good memes

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Pro-tip: If u want to punch Nazis join the Oathkeepers then bounce them from ur rallies without police interference

It's stealth antifa they will never know

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The guy says "antifa isn't gonna take down the statue" so I wonder if he's the one who spread the rumor.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Pro-tip: If u want to punch Nazis join the Oathkeepers then bounce them from ur rallies without police interference

It's stealth antifa they will never know

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/873991671284981760

Tik tok tik tok. Another ticking time bomb.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Attention-grabbing headline. He can be released on bond but he's facing federal explosives charges.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

to be fair, he's probably only going to blow up part of florida, and that land belongs to the sea at this point

Jove
Jun 18, 2004

He doesn't come to us...we go to him...BOW DOWN, SLAVE.
I had a weird experience the other day.

I hate Milo Yiannapollis so much that I won't be bothered to google the cocksucker's (note: I'm am a proud practitioner and connisseur of fellatio; think "Deadwood") name to determine whether I correctly spelled it. I hate him so much that I would have to fight a strong compulsion to physically assault him if I ever "caught him outside". When I saw "I Am Not Your Negro", I watched it through gritted teeth and closed eyes half of the time, because of the anger; James Baldwin is pretty much my polestar for my thinking on race relations in America. J. Edgar Hoover had an FBI file on him. He was seen, by the American government, as an actual dangerous human being. We're talking matter vs. anti-matter here, basically.

I was having two drinks with two long time friends who are both aware of all of those facts. One is a gay white man who is getting his Ph. D at Yale and is married to a Google engineer; they live in Park Slope. The other is a straight, single Black woman of relatively recent Eritrean descent who works as a researcher with a well-known book publisher. I'm a gay Black man from the South whose stepfather was a Pentecostal pastor and I'm really excited for a job opportunity where I will literally be defending sex offenders daily as a substantial part of my practice.

At some point of in the conversation, my male friend states something to the effect of "The "liberal" response to Milo Fuckoppolois's apologia in defense of pedophilia and/or pederasty was, in itself, both homophobic and racist." My other friend agreed.

Of course, I didn't. At first, I was pretty much just like "gently caress THAT NIGGA*. If that's what it took to get conservatives to kick him off the island, I am all loving for it. He deserved it because he is a demon from the Abyss clothed in human flesh who should burn in an eternal goddamn car fire". The friend who made the initial statement stated that "part of the queer experience" includes "older men having sex with much younger men". I acknowledged that my first relationship constituted statutory rape but, like, I was going on 17 and other dude was 19. At that point, I thought I should look up That Cocksucker's actual statements to make sure I wasn't tilting at the wrong windmill. I tend to avoid any mention of him on the Internet because it raises my blood pressure and that poo poo runs in my family.

Anyway, when I learned that he advocated the rape of children as young as 13, my position became a bit more "AWWW HELLL NAAWW".

I admit that being a lawyer means that I can come across as aggressive when discussing diverging viewpoints with others, but I never make things "personal". That is, I don't attack the person, but I'm not afraid to be very incisive (e.g., "All legal scholars agree...", "You can't say that. You haven't read all legal scholars." "Okay. *Most* legal scholars agree..." You can't say that either. You literally cannot possible have read most legal scholarship. You can speak to what you have read, but you can't make expansive statements like that.").

I submit that arguing against such an apologia, or against the premise that pointing out its hideousness is somehow racist and homophobic, deserves aggressive arguments against either point.

The conversation devolved. I was told that I was "talking down" or "picking on" one or both of them and that I had no personal investment in the discussion (i.e., that I was more interested in scoring a "win"). I responded with the classic "I'm sorry you feel that way, but I'm not sorry for a single thing I said." Except I literally said that.

We parted on a lighter note but I was still bothered when I got home. I remembered something: "Hold up. *I* was molested as a kid." And when I say remembered, I don't mean that I recovered a memory through deep hypnosis. It's just not something I regularly think about because it happened a long time ago and it wasn't my fault? I've told one of the two friends that fact before. And then I started thinking more.

How is that my friends, progressive as they strive to be, think that they can speak to me on the same level about this subject matter when they both occupy positions of relative privilege with regard to said subject matter, vis a vis me?

That is: Friend 1, you may be queer, but you're still a white male and white men are generally terrible. Also, you're married to a fellow Yale Ph. D Google engineer and you live in Park Slope. Friend 2: You're a black woman and, got drat, I know that is hard. But it's just generally hard being black and you have the benefit of, at the very least, a) not having your relationship be seen as aberrant, more often than not, b) finding a suitable mate in the first place, and 3) not literally living with the threat of death when you have sex, without having to take HIV medication on a daily basis to prevent possible infection.

Like, the more I think about this, the worse I feel. I feel disgusted, in a word.

So, basically, is this argument something that people have espoused in a way that holds water? Outside of directly insulting my interlocutors, in what way could I have been the "bad guy" in this situation? Should I think less of these people, if they actually believe that argument?

*Don't touch my loving hair, don't police my loving speech. Code-switching, motherfucka, ever hear of it?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Source your quotes

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Jove posted:

I hate Milo Yiannapollis so much that I won't be bothered to google the cocksucker's (note: I'm am a proud practitioner and connisseur of fellatio; think "Deadwood") name to determine whether I correctly spelled it. I hate him so much that I would have to fight a strong compulsion to physically assault him if I ever "caught him outside". When I saw "I Am Not Your Negro", I watched it through gritted teeth and closed eyes half of the time, because of the anger; James Baldwin is pretty much my polestar for my thinking on race relations in America. J. Edgar Hoover had an FBI file on him. He was seen, by the American government, as an actual dangerous human being. We're talking matter vs. anti-matter here, basically.

I was having two drinks with two long time friends who are both aware of all of those facts. One is a gay white man who is getting his Ph. D at Yale and is married to a Google engineer; they live in Park Slope. The other is a straight, single Black woman of relatively recent Eritrean descent who works as a researcher with a well-known book publisher. I'm a gay Black man from the South whose stepfather was a Pentecostal pastor and I'm really excited for a job opportunity where I will literally be defending sex offenders daily as a substantial part of my practice.

At some point of in the conversation, my male friend states something to the effect of "The "liberal" response to Milo Fuckoppolois's apologia in defense of pedophilia and/or pederasty was, in itself, both homophobic and racist." My other friend agreed.

Of course, I didn't. At first, I was pretty much just like "gently caress THAT NIGGA*. If that's what it took to get conservatives to kick him off the island, I am all loving for it. He deserved it because he is a demon from the Abyss clothed in human flesh who should burn in an eternal goddamn car fire". The friend who made the initial statement stated that "part of the queer experience" includes "older men having sex with much younger men". I acknowledged that my first relationship constituted statutory rape but, like, I was going on 17 and other dude was 19. At that point, I thought I should look up That Cocksucker's actual statements to make sure I wasn't tilting at the wrong windmill. I tend to avoid any mention of him on the Internet because it raises my blood pressure and that poo poo runs in my family.

Anyway, when I learned that he advocated the rape of children as young as 13, my position became a bit more "AWWW HELLL NAAWW".

I admit that being a lawyer means that I can come across as aggressive when discussing diverging viewpoints with others, but I never make things "personal". That is, I don't attack the person, but I'm not afraid to be very incisive (e.g., "All legal scholars agree...", "You can't say that. You haven't read all legal scholars." "Okay. *Most* legal scholars agree..." You can't say that either. You literally cannot possible have read most legal scholarship. You can speak to what you have read, but you can't make expansive statements like that.").

I submit that arguing against such an apologia, or against the premise that pointing out its hideousness is somehow racist and homophobic, deserves aggressive arguments against either point.

The conversation devolved. I was told that I was "talking down" or "picking on" one or both of them and that I had no personal investment in the discussion (i.e., that I was more interested in scoring a "win"). I responded with the classic "I'm sorry you feel that way, but I'm not sorry for a single thing I said." Except I literally said that.

We parted on a lighter note but I was still bothered when I got home. I remembered something: "Hold up. *I* was molested as a kid." And when I say remembered, I don't mean that I recovered a memory through deep hypnosis. It's just not something I regularly think about because it happened a long time ago and it wasn't my fault? I've told one of the two friends that fact before. And then I started thinking more.

How is that my friends, progressive as they strive to be, think that they can speak to me on the same level about this subject matter when they both occupy positions of relative privilege with regard to said subject matter, vis a vis me?

That is: Friend 1, you may be queer, but you're still a white male and white men are generally terrible. Also, you're married to a fellow Yale Ph. D Google engineer and you live in Park Slope. Friend 2: You're a black woman and, got drat, I know that is hard. But it's just generally hard being black and you have the benefit of, at the very least, a) not having your relationship be seen as aberrant, more often than not, b) finding a suitable mate in the first place, and 3) not literally living with the threat of death when you have sex, without having to take HIV medication on a daily basis to prevent possible infection.

Like, the more I think about this, the worse I feel. I feel disgusted, in a word.

So, basically, is this argument something that people have espoused in a way that holds water? Outside of directly insulting my interlocutors, in what way could I have been the "bad guy" in this situation? Should I think less of these people, if they actually believe that argument?

*Don't touch my loving hair, don't police my loving speech. Code-switching, motherfucka, ever hear of it?

As a fellow officer of the Court, I'd like to remind you that this is a Steak 'n Shake. They expect you to order food.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah :shrug:

I think your friends' arguments are wrong but I think I relate because I'm gay, have progressive friends who will do the "well you don't really have a stake in this" (really?) and I had a lawyer grandfather (okay he was a drunk ambulance chaser who almost got himself blown up in that big Texas City container ship fertilizer explosion but bear with me) and I have to catch myself because I will argue like that, then go home and go "ah-ha! I should've said... and then I would've..." Which is not a healthy thing to do.

Once ad hominems get involved it's just bad all around. So I dunno. I try to defuse heated topics with humor. Except I'm not funny. However...

Well, Milo is correct in the abstract that young gay men often have relationships with older men. But the rule is divide your age in half and add seven years. It works for pretty much every age I think. If you're 17, then the age is 15.5. At age 20, the minimum is 17. It's quite sensible.

So Milo is at least 30. That lets him have a boyfriend no younger than... 22. He cannot go below 22. And he's talking about 13 year old boys! Yeech! Listen, some might think that's overly prudish on my part, but you've got to draw the line somewhere. We've. Got. To. Have. Standards!

So there! I would like an Original Double 'N Cheese Steakburger 'N Fries and a regular chocolate milkshake.

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 02:49 on Jun 12, 2017

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_BQfQMHvDs

what about the memes?

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

You know, for as much infighting there is on the Left, it usually materializes as 'mutual shunning' at rallies/marches, followed by passive-aggressive FaceBook 'call-out' posts later on. I can't imagine trying to take someone down in a chokehold because I thought they didn't belong there.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Ah, love me some Bat'ko. Best thing he ever did was his Stalin Gaston parody.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Jove posted:

dont be friends with pedophilia apologists lol

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

while it may be true that a lot of gay priests illegally molest kids, its not the least bit homophobic to say that it's immoral to molest kids or to defend the 'practice' as yabbadabbadoo has done

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Pederasty is real bad. This is not a controversial stance. The only people who split hairs about 'well maybe pederasty is actually cultural and good' probably also have some real bad opinions about the merits of ephebophilia and why its not the same thing as pedophilia.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
reactionary gays, especially reactionary white gays, are a lot less of a contradiction when you realize that they're just the natural result of being out of the closet being more acceptable in society, if it were 20 years ago they'd be in the closet, but still be huge reactionaries.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

did some1 say william f buckley jr

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Who plans on going sailing?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

What were these? The second account's been suspended.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

KomradeX posted:

Who plans on going sailing?

Or getting punched in the face, you god drat queeear?

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Lindsey O. Graham has issued a correction as of 07:04 on Jun 12, 2017

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Jove posted:

your friends were lovely, and inconsiderate, and worst of all unable to keep up with you in a debate

to add insult to injury, they blamed their inability to successfully defend their indefensible point, on you

you need new friends; i hate to tell you this

Lindsey O. Graham has issued a correction as of 07:08 on Jun 12, 2017

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Hand Knit posted:

What were these? The second account's been suspended.

I just woke up and honestly can't remember. :shrug:

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So because we're all on SA I'm going to assume most of know that E3 (the videogame industry tradeshow) is going on right now and Bethesda released a trailer for a new Wolfenstine game. Apparently some of the internet Nazis are upset that a game made the Nazis the badguys

http://www.dorkly.com/post/83711/nazi-pissboys-are-crying-over-a-new-game-where-you-murder-nazis

Is this a bigger thing among these idiots or is it only the dumbest of the dumb?

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

I know nothing of UK politics but isn't he the rear end in a top hat that sold his soul to Cameron?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

KomradeX posted:

So because we're all on SA I'm going to assume most of know that E3 (the videogame industry tradeshow) is going on right now and Bethesda released a trailer for a new Wolfenstine game. Apparently some of the internet Nazis are upset that a game made the Nazis the badguys

http://www.dorkly.com/post/83711/nazi-pissboys-are-crying-over-a-new-game-where-you-murder-nazis

Is this a bigger thing among these idiots or is it only the dumbest of the dumb?

Im not super certain, but I think if the argument starts with 'actually, the Nazis weren't that bad and its ridiculous that they are always portrayed as the bad guys!' then you can probably just relegate that person to the trashcan and not lose anything.

If the argument is 'Nazis are kind of played out and it would be great if game developers tried something new' I could almost see it, but, uh, the game is Wolfenstein. Killing Nazis is kind of the heart and soul of Wolfenstein. Its a proud tradition.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

Right leaning assholes are spinning this as a Hispanic loyal to the constitution choked out a leftist. WTF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/874268896844492801

:discourse: