Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Nah, she talks several times. For instance, she prompts Samuel L. Jackson on how good it feels to kill someone himself after he shoots Colin Firth.

My favourite line of hers is "Do I look like I play bingo?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Len posted:

Presumably "Strange case of Dr Jekyl and Mr Hyde"

"
edit: :thejoke:?

Yeah, poo poo maybe that is a spoiler if this is the cultural awareness.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Them being the same person was the twist in the original work but it has since then become public knowledge. Like the Planet of the Apes being earth and Soylent Green being people and Bruce Willis being a ghost.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Them being the same person was the twist in the original work but it has since then become public knowledge. Like the Planet of the Apes being earth and Soylent Green being people and Bruce Willis being a ghost.

Bruce Willis is a ghost on the Planet of the Apes trying to stop the apes from eating Soylent Green because it's people!

We found the next cinematic universe!

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

Now I want to see a grizzled old Bruce Willis beating the poo poo out of a gorilla.

After he gets tossed around a bit, he says "Enough monkeying around" and then tackles it down a mine shaft.

ed: Oh and then at the end of the fight he says "More like planet of the japes" and spits out blood.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

Strontosaurus posted:

Now I want to see a grizzled old Bruce Willis beating the poo poo out of a gorilla.

After he gets tossed around a bit, he says "Enough monkeying around" and then tackles it down a mine shaft.

ed: Oh and then at the end of the fight he says "More like planet of the japes" and spits out blood.

It's not even really connected to the main thread of the movie, there's just a gorilla in the way that Ol' Bruce takes care of the only way he knows how.

The rest of the movie is not an action film.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah, poo poo maybe that is a spoiler if this is the cultural awareness.
:thejoke: is that the title doesn't spoil poo poo aside from two people being involved in a strange case.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Strontosaurus posted:

Would you settle for Woody Harrelson?

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

Phylodox posted:

Would you settle for Woody Harrelson?

If he doesn't make a quippy pun I will demand my monkey back. My money back.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

SO, I went to see The Mummy.

The mummy is...a movie. A bad movie, with bad acting and some really silly awkward poo poo. I wish we got more creepy mummy, which was actually a bit scary to see, and less hot-sexy with revealing outfit mummy. Jekyll was a nice and I was left wanting to see more about it. The jokes weren't funny, at all, you would get the ocassional chuckle but people wouldn't burst in laughter like I've seen in other movies. I could go with a list of how none of the actors had chemistry between them. Tom Cruise is quite buffed for his age. And, eh. I recommend everyone to wait for the blu-ray,amazon or netflix.

Also, I don't live in the US, so I guess is true they are expecting to get their money from the foreign market. The place was nearly full, which I found odd as it's all over the media how bad the movie is and it was a Saturday, in a movie theater that's doesn't attract as many people as the other's in my town. (I was surprised this brand of theater has enough money to hire Tom Holland for a pop-corn ad :psyduck:)

Desperado Bones fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 11, 2017

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Neo Rasa posted:

Her character was really fun, I hope they don't totally forget she exists when they make another one.

Beyond significantly under-performed, financially (despite them moving production to Canada to save money), and even Quinto's saying he's not sure if they'll do another one -- despite him and Pine actually being under contract for it.

I wouldn't hold your breath for a fourth nuTrek.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Timby posted:

Beyond significantly under-performed, financially (despite them moving production to Canada to save money), and even Quinto's saying he's not sure if they'll do another one -- despite him and Pine actually being under contract for it.

They murdered all of the goodwill that was gained from ST09 with the flat out awful Into Darkness. I really enjoyed Beyond, but it was probably not good enough to change that series trajectory.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Desperado Bones posted:

Also, I don't live in the US, so I guess is true they are expecting to get their money from the foreign market

Checks out!

(I'm cheating, the movie has only been out in the US for 3 days but over a week in other markets.)

Red Letter Media just posted their review of the movie and they said pretty much everything we've been saying in this thread about how lovely and awful it was but they also argued that the entire movie is formatted to appeal to foreign markets, from the star they chose (who is recognisable to foreign audiences even though he's a bad fit for the role) right down to things like how the exposition dumps are mostly done via voiceover which makes it a lot easier to dub the film into other languages.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Enos Cabell posted:

They murdered all of the goodwill that was gained from ST09 with the flat out awful Into Darkness. I really enjoyed Beyond, but it was probably not good enough to change that series trajectory.

Into Darkness is the biggest-grossing movie of the series and it isn't even close. People didn't hate it nearly as much as a small section of the Internet would have you believe (nor did it rehash Wrath of Khan nearly as much as that same section of the Internet would have you believe).

Beyond under-performed because it was a rushed production, Paramount played right into the "oh great, Fast and Furious guy directing it, just gonna be all lolaction" crowd by releasing that terrible first trailer in December 2015, and then didn't start the marketing in earnest until about a month before the film's release.

Seriously, it's impossible to put into words how much goodwill was pissed away with that first trailer (and both Lin and Pegg came out publicly as saying they hated it):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRVD32rnzOw

Also, they hadn't gone to WGA arbitration yet, so that first trailer had five credited writers, and of course people latched onto that as a sign it was going to be a mess.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Timby posted:

That (and your next post about that awful trailer pissing away their good will) is sad to hear, Beyond is my favorite one of the three by a huge margin.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Neo Rasa posted:

That (and your next post about that awful trailer pissing away their good will) is sad to hear, Beyond is my favorite one of the three by a huge margin.

There are things I like and dislike about all three movies, and Beyond certainly wasn't without its flaws (missed opportunity for a more significant Enterprise-A redesign, casting an actor like Idris Elba and having him deliver a ton of gibberish dialogue under fifteen pounds of makeup just like they did with Eccleston on Thor 2, a phoned-in Giacchino score), but, yeah, it was a lot of fun, and the death of the Enterprise punches me right in the gut every time.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
ST09 is great and Beyond is really good. Into Darkness isn't, but I think there's some good stuff in it. Surprisingly, the writer's lovely truther opinions actually make for some of the most interesting stuff.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LesterGroans posted:

ST09 is great and Beyond is really good. Into Darkness isn't, but I think there's some good stuff in it. Surprisingly, the writer's lovely truther opinions actually make for some of the most interesting stuff.

Honestly, I think people would remember Into Darkness a lot more fondly if Paramount hadn't lowballed Benicio del Toro and then decided to go with Cumberbatch.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Timby posted:

Honestly, I think people would remember Into Darkness a lot more fondly if Paramount hadn't lowballed Benicio del Toro and then decided to go with Cumberbatch.

Easily. Del Toro would have been a thousand times more interesting and would have cut out the white washing issues. You'd still have some clunky exposition, a weird ending and an odd structure but Del Toro's presence always positively impacts a film.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Question to those who have seen The Mummy:
Is Tom Cruise playing Van Helsing like rumours suggested?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Firstborn posted:

No.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Wait, Idris Elba was the bad guy in Star Trek Beyond?

:psyduck:

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

Wait, Idris Elba was the bad guy in Star Trek Beyond?

He does show up without makeup at the end.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Firstborn posted:

Just from reading the plot synopsis it seems to me he becomes the titular Mummy.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
That sounds pretty loving bad.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Sir Kodiak posted:

I must have completely forgotten about that.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Well, with less makeup. I finally saw Beyond last week thanks to my local library, and while undoubtedly my favorite of the reboot Treks it still struck me as a fine sci-fi action flick rather than a Star Trek film.

But like Eccleston in Thor 2, it puzzles me why you'd get an actor like Elba and give him half a dozen lines in the entire movie while buried under makeup.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I kind of wish his character didn't die. Were they to make several more of these depending on where they went he'd have been a good background/recurring "everything about Starfleet is fuckin' bullshit" kind of character like Eddington in Deep Space Nine.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Cythereal posted:

Well, with less makeup.

Nah, he shows up in his completely human form briefly on the Franklin's computer log at the end; Kirk and Uhura discover it as they're investigating the crash site.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I thought Beyond was really bad, it's one of those scripts where every single thing introduced is a Chekhov's gun of some kind and it made the whole story feel very mechanical. The whole thing ended up losing any sense of verisimilitude for me.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The Mummy chat:

Zero One posted:

Just from reading the plot synopsis it seems to me he becomes the titular Mummy.

He becomes a weird amalgamation of the Mummy and Van Helsing, but at the same time not really being either. He's definitely undead by that point (he actually dies twice in the film) and the last time we see him he's riding a horse across the desert wrapped head to toe in Bedouin robes and wrappings with only his eyes showing. He's also immortal, is apparently possessed by an evil Death God and has some weird undefined powers over the dead. But he also has the power to detect evil monsters and Jekyll is pretty certain that means he'll wander the earth tracking down and defeating monsters.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I liked Beyond, but every single ST reboot movie has botched the villain.

I just don't understand why you wait to explain your villain's motivation until you are 5 minutes from the final action scene.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Timby posted:

Into Darkness is the biggest-grossing movie of the series and it isn't even close. People didn't hate it nearly as much as a small section of the Internet would have you believe (nor did it rehash Wrath of Khan nearly as much as that same section of the Internet would have you believe).

It did make less money domestically than Star Trek 2009, though, so it should be too surprising that a US-heavy forum like SA is more down on it than the box office suggests. Particularly if we incorporate the idea that audience reception of a franchise film doesn't just play into the current one, it plays into the next one, and look at just how much worse Beyond did.

Though I'd put Beyond as easily the worst of the three. All the stuff on the planet is pretty lousy, and that's a huge chunk of the movie.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Beyond is my fav nuTrek movie.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I liked Beyond, but every single ST reboot movie has botched the villain.

This isn't unique to the reboot movies, though. Nemesis was an unabashed TNG remake of Wrath of Khan, the drama in Insurrection relied upon the Enterprise crew being complete idiots, Soran was semi-sympathetic but his plan made no sense, Chang was just Nick Meyer getting his Shakespeare rocks off and Kruge was terrible.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Chang was great but I agree on the others

Sybok (if you can call him a villain) was also poorly used

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Checks out!

(I'm cheating, the movie has only been out in the US for 3 days but over a week in other markets.)

Red Letter Media just posted their review of the movie and they said pretty much everything we've been saying in this thread about how lovely and awful it was but they also argued that the entire movie is formatted to appeal to foreign markets, from the star they chose (who is recognisable to foreign audiences even though he's a bad fit for the role) right down to things like how the exposition dumps are mostly done via voiceover which makes it a lot easier to dub the film into other languages.

Yeah, I could give you a list of actors and actresses people in my country love and will go to see no matter how much of a poo poo fest the movie is. Tom Cruise and Will Smith are in there.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Why do people like Beyond so much? I thought it was awful. ST09 was the best of the new ones imo.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Syncopated posted:

Why do people like Beyond so much? I thought it was awful. ST09 was the best of the new ones imo.

The villain is forgettable, but Beyond has great character moments for almost all of the cast. Urban's McCoy finally gets the spotlight he deserves and Pine gives a great Kirk performance with an actual motivation. It's a fun film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I feel like Beyond would have made a better fifth or sixth movie. The whole "This life in space is wearing so thin! Ennui-i-i-i-i-i!" would have played better with a more established, world-weary cast.

• Locked thread