Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

What do I have to do to completely disable voice detection on the Apple watch? All the instructions I find are about disabling 'Hey Siri', which I've done, but I still find that once or twice a day something triggers the watch and I get a "I'm not sure what you said there" alert

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

.Z. posted:

What do I have to do to completely disable voice detection on the Apple watch? All the instructions I find are about disabling 'Hey Siri', which I've done, but I still find that once or twice a day something triggers the watch and I get a "I'm not sure what you said there" alert

Are you somehow accidentally holding down the crown? That will bring up Siri also.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

ddogflex posted:

Are you somehow accidentally holding down the crown? That will bring up Siri also.

Oh, that is probably it. My jacket snags on the crown when I pull back the sleeve.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Just get Beats X

Yeah gonna second that. The Beats X rule.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I have a set of AirPods, a pair of Beats X, and a pair of Bose SoundSport Wireless. Here's my general opinion of all three:

I've had the AirPods for about a month, and they are nice to wear around work because they are easy to take in and out and you can hear other people around you while wearing them, but the sound quality is not quite as good as the Beats X and they were uncomfortable for the first few days until my ears got used to them. My main gripe is the lack of volume controls, but it's easy enough to use my phone or my watch, so I've gotten used to not having them on the buds themselves. The charging case is nice, and I've never felt that I was in any danger of losing one or both of them. Battery life is the worst on these, though the charging case helps remedy this.

I bought the Beats X about a month before the AirPods were available in my area, and they are great to wear while doing yard work because they block out the sound of my lawnmower/various gas powered equipment, and the sound is pretty good, though the bass can be lacking depending on the type of music you're listening to. Battery life is probably the best on these compared to the other two, as I've gotten more than the 8 hours they're rated at, and in a pinch 15 minutes of charging will get you 2 hours of sound.

I've had the Bose SoundSports the longest out of the three, and they have the best sound quality of all three, are probably the most comfortable, and I find to be the best to use while working out or running, as they are supposedly sweat proof and allow some sound to come in so you can hear cars or other people around you easier than the Beats X, but they do look a bit goofy as they stick out of your ears quite a bit, though honestly I think the AirPods look the goofiest of all if you don't have them placed in your ears just right. Pairing isn't as easy as the AirPods or Beats X, but then again, how much easier does pairing a bluetooth device need to be? It's not rocket science. Battery life is pretty good on these, but just shy of the Beats.

That being said, I still hear that the Jaybirds beat all three of the above mentioned in terms of comfort and sound quality, and I wish I had gone with them instead of the Bose, but I'm still happy with the Bose overall. If I was to pick just one pair out of the three I own, I would probably go with the Beats X, although I have been using the AirPods more than the others this past month.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Thanks for that overview. Ironically as I was reading it I thought, "yeah, pretty much any of these sound like a great replacement for my jaybirds, which I don't like."

Maybe I'll just wait for Airpods version 2.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Agronox posted:

Thanks for that overview. Ironically as I was reading it I thought, "yeah, pretty much any of these sound like a great replacement for my jaybirds, which I don't like."

Maybe I'll just wait for Airpods version 2.

If you don't like the jaybirds, you probably wouldn't like the Bose, as they are pretty similar and both have the "wings". The beats X come with optional wings, but you don't have to use them, and my main complaint that I left out of my last post about the AirPods is that the fit isn't customizable at all (and any third-party options would mess with the fit in the charging case). I've never used the jaybirds myself, but all of the reviews I've read and first hand accounts from people I know who do have them have all been excellent, which is why I say I would have probably picked them knowing what I know now.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Thanks for the write up. I'm pretty sure that AirPods won't fit my ears. I'm hoping the beats x get thrown into the next student MacBook deal this summer.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
I use the Jaybirds but took the stupid wings off and replaced them with the Decibullz moldable casing.

That combo makes for the best earphones I've ever had.

https://www.decibullz.com

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Alfalfa posted:

I use the Jaybirds but took the stupid wings off and replaced them with the Decibullz moldable casing.

That combo makes for the best earphones I've ever had.

https://www.decibullz.com

Which Jaybirds are you using? I have the X3's and the foam tips + wings are working pretty OK for me but I'd like something a bit better.

Is this what I want to buy for the moldable earplugs?

https://www.decibullz.com/product/custom-earplug-pro-pack/

Or are they all the same and I just need to buy the normal earplugs?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

empty baggie posted:

I've had the AirPods for about a month, and they are nice to wear around work because they are easy to take in and out and you can hear other people around you while wearing them, but the sound quality is not quite as good as the Beats X and they were uncomfortable for the first few days until my ears got used to them. My main gripe is the lack of volume controls, but it's easy enough to use my phone or my watch, so I've gotten used to not having them on the buds themselves. The charging case is nice, and I've never felt that I was in any danger of losing one or both of them. Battery life is the worst on these, though the charging case helps remedy this.

Take Airpod reviews with a grain of salt y'all. They are extremely dependent on the fit in your ear.

For instance, Airpods have excellent sound quality if they fit in your ear tightly and correctly. They also don't hurt when you get them if they fit correctly. As a result, even professional reviews are all over the place. Some people say they sound like poo poo, others say they sound outstanding.

I'm not defending Apple here... they probably shouldn't have used a "one size fits some" sizing strategy for a flagship product... but my point is, don't rely on others for their perceptions of the Airpods as YMMV. I highly recommend trying them in an Apple Store or using a buddies pair for an hour or 2.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Taima posted:

Take Airpod reviews with a grain of salt y'all. They are extremely dependent on the fit in your ear.

For instance, Airpods have excellent sound quality if they fit in your ear tightly and correctly. They also don't hurt when you get them if they fit correctly. As a result, even professional reviews are all over the place. Some people say they sound like poo poo, others say they sound outstanding.

I'm not defending Apple here... they probably shouldn't have used a "one size fits some" sizing strategy for a flagship product... but my point is, don't rely on others for their perceptions of the Airpods as YMMV. I highly recommend trying them in an Apple Store or using a buddies pair for an hour or 2.

Yeah, I agree, although most people can test with the EarPods that came with their phone to see how the AirPods might fit, since they are basically the same as far as fit goes, though I think the AirPods feel lighter when in your ears (I assume due to not having the cords hanging down constantly pulling on the buds).

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt

Protocol7 posted:

Which Jaybirds are you using? I have the X3's and the foam tips + wings are working pretty OK for me but I'd like something a bit better.

Is this what I want to buy for the moldable earplugs?

https://www.decibullz.com/product/custom-earplug-pro-pack/

Or are they all the same and I just need to buy the normal earplugs?

https://www.decibullz.com/product/replacement-molds-for-wireless-earphones-and-earplugs/

Then you just take the wings and earplug portion off, mold these, and snap them on.

Instructions are on website

They tried to stop offering these as other ear phone replacements, but these still work on 99% of earphone brands and models.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I am reading google that apparently the nylon band smells bad and is hard to clean after some wear according to some users. Is this experience typical or are these people particularly gross?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

They absorb sweat pretty readily, so yeah, they can get stinky. That said, I just throw mine in the laundry and they come out fine, so I wouldn't say they're hard to clean.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Rick posted:

I am reading google that apparently the nylon band smells bad and is hard to clean after some wear according to some users. Is this experience typical or are these people particularly gross?

I've used mine working in the yard pretty heavily, including mowing, weed eating, chainsaw use, and chucking limbs into a wood chipper for 3 days straight. At one point they had contact with poison oak and reinfected me a few weeks later when switching back to the band, but before washing it, it never smelled bad or anything, even though it most definitely was soaked in sweat for more than two days. I've since started using the original silicone band when working in the yard, but the nylon band never stank at all before I gave it a thorough cleaning, even after plenty of abuse.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Rick posted:

If you have particularly pungent sweat, I can imagine it would smell since nylon/polyester pick up odors aggressively.

That said, like previous poster said, seems fine to wash it. I put mine in a little delicates bag so the clippy thing doesn't tear up poo poo.

I actually use a polymer band when I do anything sweaty as it feels more durable.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I can't seem to get my Beats Solo 3 Wireless to connect to my Watch. All the other devices on my iCloud account connect to them just fine but no dice for the watch. I've tried rebooting my watch, going in and out of airplane mode, etc. and no luck. Anyone else have the same problem?

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Is there a good twitter app that also works well on the watch?

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Anya posted:

Is there a good twitter app that also works well on the watch?

Not sure what you want, but my default answer is Tweetbot.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

OGB posted:

Not sure what you want, but my default answer is Tweetbot.

Tweetbot only seems to show your likes and mentions and allows you to compose tweets. I use the official twitter app to sneakily check my timeline in meetings.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Yeah, I like checking timeline and such. Official app always seems really slow and clunky via the watch. The notifications from whom I follow work fine.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I can't seem to get my Beats Solo 3 Wireless to connect to my Watch. All the other devices on my iCloud account connect to them just fine but no dice for the watch. I've tried rebooting my watch, going in and out of airplane mode, etc. and no luck. Anyone else have the same problem?

Are these the ones that use the AirPods-chip to connect?

You connect them with the airplay menu at the bottom of the control center, not the Bluetooth menu like other headphones. It's not the most intuitive thing.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Yes they are and they do not show up in the airplay menu at the bottom.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I was having unable to connect (but it saw them) with my Apple Watch S2 for my AirPods. Nothing fixed it but a watch reboot. And not sure if the Beats are any different but if they use the same chip as the AirPods, you should find them in your watch's settings > Bluetooth. Because that's where my AirPods show up. I should know, I literally just started running in the last 2 weeks and have been only taking my watch and AirPods. :)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I had a similar problem today pairing headphones to my watch. Apparently a reboot is the catch all solution

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Hey all I have a gen 1 watch, considering upgrading it at some point, is it worth getting the series 2 now, or wait for what ever the next gen will be?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Looke posted:

Hey all I have a gen 1 watch, considering upgrading it at some point, is it worth getting the series 2 now, or wait for what ever the next gen will be?

I'm in the same boat and I'm waiting. The series 2 is good and all but I think we are close enough to a refresh to wait.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I have a series 0 and I'm still waiting.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

i meant gen 0, but i might just wait then, when do they usually do hardware announcements?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Looke posted:

i meant gen 0, but i might just wait then, when do they usually do hardware announcements?

Probably at the next conference in the fall along with the new iPhones.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Looke posted:

Sept-October ish

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Looke posted:

Probably only relevant thing is if you want to do serious stuff in the water. Other than that, I'd wait.

In my case, my first is a Gen2 because the water rating to 50m was a requirement for me.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Gps for running is nice if you don't have a serious running watch and you don't like taking your phone out on runs

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Isn't the watch refresh cycle like 2 years? Where are the sources for this Sept-Oct watch release stuff?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

BoyBlunder posted:

Isn't the watch refresh cycle like 2 years? Where are the sources for this Sept-Oct watch release stuff?

Good question.

I'd predict a launch in march April next year.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Since there are only two data points it's hard to say what the 'normal' refresh cycle is likely to be. There have been pretty persistent rumors of new hardware with noninvasive glucose monitoring being tested but who knows if that's an indication of an imminent release or just that there is a thing being tested.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Well I am just expecting them to go to a yearly refresh which would be sept oct

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

Well I am just expecting them to go to a yearly refresh which would be sept oct

I would be surprised to see a yearly refresh on this product. Given that it is more of a peripheral than a main device, but still priced like a primary device, folks will not want to spend the money to upgrade as often, and will probably be more turned off by an annual refresh than on other products.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I would be surprised to see a yearly refresh on this product. Given that it is more of a peripheral than a main device, but still priced like a primary device, folks will not want to spend the money to upgrade as often, and will probably be more turned off by an annual refresh than on other products.

That's a good point too.

My only thing is that it feels like the battery on my series 0 isn't lasting nearly as long. I am really just hoping it lasts long enough for the series 3 to come out.

• Locked thread