Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
Just had a great match even though my team lost both rounds. The last round we got to spend the entire time listening to a guy speak in the worst Engrish ever. But why. I don't get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!

Glenn Quebec posted:

I think the bullet pen is much greater on m14 but I'm yanking that out of my own rear end in a top hat and is based off of nothing

Seems like it would be, bigger bullet and all.

Speaking of bullets though, is the Mosin off for anyone else? I'm having a gently caress of a time getting consistent hits at all kinds of ranges.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Cu Chi is great for camping next to an ammo box and pumping out long range indirect fire grenades, it's completely flat.

I got a bunch of Tks and team wounds and destroyed every tunnel that a marker came up for out to like 400m plus a bunch of random ones.

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jun 8, 2017

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

automaticswim posted:

if you fly like i fly you'll know the pain of constantly having tail rotors shot out. it's fairly easy to fly back to base or an LZ. just full collective until about ~50-55 meters, then drop the collective. it'll stabilize and you'll be able to control it just enough holding yaw and pitch down to get to where you need to, while remaining under 75m. sliding on skids into an lz between two enemy controlled points and dropping a full hot load of gi into some vc territory is the best feeling.

The best feeling is when a Huey thinks they're hot stuff and right before they drop a shitload of GIs to backcap a point you introduce them to your main man, Rocket Propelled Grenade (7th Edition). It's positively delicious when your name blots out the killfeed under the weight of a dead Huey.

Afterwards I made sure to type "gi go home" in public chat.

Hamlet442 posted:

Just had a great match even though my team lost both rounds. The last round we got to spend the entire time listening to a guy speak in the worst Engrish ever. But why. I don't get it.

Welcome to the Red Orchestra games, where casual/severe racism over text and voice chat is the norm. The playerbase are morons, but the game is Good. I'm not sure which is worse at this point - the horrible Asian stereotypes in Rising Storm games or the people RPing SS in the Red Orchestra games.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
Great times in the goon squad last night, I just wanted to drink and click icons so thanks to Speak's excellent marking got 85 kills on cu chi :clint:

I think besides that last game on cu chi where the ticket numbers got a bit close there wasn't a game where we didn't just steamroll the opposition

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Yeah yesterday morning it seemed like every server was infected with idiotic Trump fans, talking about cucking and dropping n bombs and MAGA. I guess since school is out for the summer you get a higher ratio of dumbass kids.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Last night I had liberals on my server, and you can imagine how that triggered the Trump fans when he said things like 'Obama had two terms, deal with it'. They tried like hell to votekick the poo poo out of him.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Capn Beeb posted:

Seems like it would be, bigger bullet and all.

Speaking of bullets though, is the Mosin off for anyone else? I'm having a gently caress of a time getting consistent hits at all kinds of ranges.

The only time I hit with a mosin was on a balcony and no one knew where I was. The minute my screen gets a little wobble from incoming I'm good as hosed. So, I use the AKM mostly.

Ichabod Tane fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jun 8, 2017

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Glenn Quebec posted:

I think the bullet pen is much greater on m14 but I'm yanking that out of my own rear end in a top hat and is based off of nothing

they have class files in the local directory to check this stuff.

from the data there:

m14
code:
	PenetrationDepth=17
	MaxPenetrationTests=3
	MaxNumPenetrations=2
m16
code:
	PenetrationDepth=10
	MaxPenetrationTests=3
	MaxNumPenetrations=1
and to compare with other weapons:

AK
code:
	PenetrationDepth=15
	MaxPenetrationTests=3
	MaxNumPenetrations=2
m37 shotty
code:
	00 buckshot
	PenetrationDepth=10
	MaxPenetrationTests=3
	MaxNumPenetrations=1

no.4
	PrimaryPenetrationDepth=7,
	PrimaryMaxPenetrationTests=3,
	PrimaryMaxNumPenetrations=1,
M40
code:
	PenetrationDepth=23.5
	MaxPenetrationTests=3
	MaxNumPenetrations=2
code:
	PenetrationDepth=8
	MaxPenetrationTests=3
	MaxNumPenetrations=2

LuiCypher posted:

Welcome to the Red Orchestra games, where casual/severe racism over text and voice chat is the norm. The playerbase are morons, but the game is Good. I'm not sure which is worse at this point - the horrible Asian stereotypes in Rising Storm games or the people RPing SS in the Red Orchestra games.

tbh it's been a thing since twi forum rules weren't simply telling all the nazis to gently caress off

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Capn Beeb posted:

Speaking of the Mosin, whenever you're using it you need to obsessively talk about your 'Moisten'-Nagant over voice chat and continually sing its praises.

e.g., 'My MOISTEN-Nagant is loaded with capitalist-seeking bullets, that is how good it is'

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
i am the worst player and the worst sniper in the world but i'm sorry this game is loving broken

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Died alot huh?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

At least they fixed the spooky bug though.

Death by Chickens
Jan 12, 2012

Banano posted:

i am the worst player and the worst sniper in the world but i'm sorry this game is loving broken

Movement / momentum (also suppression) = poo poo accuracy.

I have to admit it's exaggerated in this game to the point of annoyance at times, but I think once you realize just how horrifically bad your accuracy and scope sway is immediately after moving, you start to get a better feel for the game.

I wish I could run up to a wall, peek over it and shoot in a split second but in this game there's a good chance your bullet will not go where you think it will in that situation. Any amount of movement or especially sprinting causes your character to have an asthma attack. Try shooting a gun while gulping in air like a drowning man.

I exaggerate a bit, and I love this game to death, but I can see where this mechanic infuriates people. It's not immediately apparent just how much accuracy suffers from using stamina or suppression from being shot at. Once you realize how it works, you can compensate. It forces you to play the game more slowly, more tactically. But it's a big difference from any other FPS on the market outside of the RO series.

Death by Chickens fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jun 10, 2017

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Heres a clip of gay.satan shooting down two hueys back-to-back (also of me missing every SVD shot).

https://streamable.com/4rhur

Also, heres a couple of minutes of loach gameplay.

https://youtu.be/UcgbQ4TUFS0

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Had a team with a guy who killed more teammates than enemies with the rpg last night. That was fun.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Hot Diggity! posted:

Had a team with a guy who killed more teammates than enemies with the rpg last night. That was fun.

RPG squadleaders are great when they stay right next to their tunnel and backblast you when you spawn.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Shima Honnou posted:

RPG squadleaders are great when they stay right next to their tunnel and backblast you when you spawn.

Is there another way to play?

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Had a great squad today. Instead of capping points we did nothing but destroy squad tunnels on the first two points of Hill.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Regarding bullet penetration; On Hue city M16 bullets can go through the walls of the building at A, B and D among others. Use this to your advantage especially when capping D. VC players like to stand on the second floor opposite of the staircase, so if you go in the entrance to the right, spray some bullets right up through the roof above you and you are almost guaranteed a kill. Did that the other day several times and was called a filthy wallhacker. Also I was a friend of the family apparently.

Punji traps or rather, traps in general is the shiznit.

Also, Anybody actually seen a trap when playing as a pointman? Sometimes when playing pointman, my character bark out some audio cues about there being traps on the ground, but I never actually see any traps.

GyverMac fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 11, 2017

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah they glow red if you're pointman. Be careful disarming them because your idiot teammates will run right past you, trigger them, and kill you both.

I place a heck of a lot more traps than I've ever seen otherwise, they're definitely underutilized. The toepopper mines in particular are so good and so satisfying

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
I try to place as many trap as possible. I agree that they're underutilized. The best time to place traps is when you've just lost the points and need to retreat to defend another position. Nobody places traps and just tries to hang out to shoot GIs in the back.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GyverMac posted:

Also, Anybody actually seen a trap when playing as a pointman? Sometimes when playing pointman, my character bark out some audio cues about there being traps on the ground, but I never actually see any traps.

Yea I seen em, right before drunkenly blundering into them.

Hamlet442 posted:

I try to place as many trap as possible. I agree that they're underutilized. The best time to place traps is when you've just lost the points and need to retreat to defend another position. Nobody places traps and just tries to hang out to shoot GIs in the back.

Yup, make sure not to put them too close together. Any kinda grenade or whatever will clear them.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Oh, here's the thread for it. Game owns, I've had a lot of fun since the last two betas.

Hopefully it has sold well and they're working on the extra content: The Aussies.

Get some L1A1s (FN FAL) and F1 or Owen SMGs and maybe a browing for a pistol or even a bren for a machinegun variant.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The places to put the little sapper mines are in doorways because (especially on Cu Chi) people will just rush in without looking. Was in a squad with goons and a sapper pubbie and between the two sappers we managed something like 20/25 mine kills.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Who ever said the hunting shotgun is crazy good is right.

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?
I looooove traps. Even as a gi I will use claymores.

Tripwire traps for doorways or in long grass. The fact they don't go away when you die means everyone should be using them but it seems only a handful of people do.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

Glenn Quebec posted:

Died alot huh?

not much more than usual actually, it was just a very frustrating time when shots either missed for no good reason (crosshairs dead on a stationary target, shooting from prone) or registered but appeared to do nothing (e.g. 2 shots from an M14 to the chest with hit sound, 2 helmet hit sounds on a guy and no kill).

I've seen the same sort of wtf moments on videos of streamers who are way better players than me so it certainly seems to be a thing.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I just wish it were easier to place traps and tunnels. it's really loving irritating right now

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Banano posted:

not much more than usual actually, it was just a very frustrating time when shots either missed for no good reason (crosshairs dead on a stationary target, shooting from prone) or registered but appeared to do nothing (e.g. 2 shots from an M14 to the chest with hit sound, 2 helmet hit sounds on a guy and no kill).

I've seen the same sort of wtf moments on videos of streamers who are way better players than me so it certainly seems to be a thing.

Yeah there's some hit detection wonk happening. I think that part of the problem is that bullets originate from the barrel of the gun and while ADS it's pretty hard to tell where exactly that is.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Just played Sniper as VC on Cu Chi and got a solid 45 kills and made the GIs go home. poo poo was bomb and I regret not having tried sniper sooner.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I feel like Cu Chi is by far one the best maps.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Top 5 for sure.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
The only map I feel can truly be soul crushing is Hill 937. It's possible to go an entire round without ever finding a good place to get a foothold against the enemy.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Party Plane Jones posted:

The places to put the little sapper mines are in doorways because (especially on Cu Chi) people will just rush in without looking. Was in a squad with goons and a sapper pubbie and between the two sappers we managed something like 20/25 mine kills.

any high traffic area they don't have time to check (because eg people are shooting at them) is perfect. put them in the trenches in D/E, they can only see them when they're about to drop in, they can't safely defuse without a grenade and they have about 3 people shooting at them at the same time...

Pesticide20 posted:

Just played Sniper as VC on Cu Chi and got a solid 45 kills and made the GIs go home. poo poo was bomb and I regret not having tried sniper sooner.

I found it was similarly easy on hue with the m40, I got the best results shooting stationary targets in the face/chest and people loved doing that behind walls and in windows

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

JFC posted:

The only map I feel can truly be soul crushing is Hill 937. It's possible to go an entire round without ever finding a good place to get a foothold against the enemy.

There is a reason it was nicknamed Hamburger Hill. It was all close-quarters, too. Most of the fighting for 937 was done within ranges of about 50 feet. Fun fact, 937 had basically no strategic value at all for the US, one day the commanders were just like "Take that poo poo, and also do it with infantry for some reason." We won and then almost immediately abandoned it.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I'm very talented at this game.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/151275749

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

RPG is the best class, because you get access to the hunting shotgun (which is amazing) AND the RPG. Every time you shoot down a heli with one, you should always type 'gi go home' in chat just to rub it in.

Death by Chickens posted:

Movement / momentum (also suppression) = poo poo accuracy.

I have to admit it's exaggerated in this game to the point of annoyance at times, but I think once you realize just how horrifically bad your accuracy and scope sway is immediately after moving, you start to get a better feel for the game.

I wish I could run up to a wall, peek over it and shoot in a split second but in this game there's a good chance your bullet will not go where you think it will in that situation. Any amount of movement or especially sprinting causes your character to have an asthma attack. Try shooting a gun while gulping in air like a drowning man.

I exaggerate a bit, and I love this game to death, but I can see where this mechanic infuriates people. It's not immediately apparent just how much accuracy suffers from using stamina or suppression from being shot at. Once you realize how it works, you can compensate. It forces you to play the game more slowly, more tactically. But it's a big difference from any other FPS on the market outside of the RO series.

They made it a lot less apparent moving from RS1 to RS2. In RS1, at least you had a stamina meter so you could figure out how poo poo your aim would be and your gun was visibly less steady. In this one, you don't sway as much when tired (esp. if prone) but the game will throw off your bullets from the crosshairs if you are. I've unloaded an entire SKS clip against someone from 50m away and watched every shot miss despite my crosshairs being on center of mass as a result of this mechanic.

I did, however, see immediate gains when I advanced much more slowly as a sniper thanks to following this advice.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Shima Honnou posted:

There is a reason it was nicknamed Hamburger Hill. It was all close-quarters, too. Most of the fighting for 937 was done within ranges of about 50 feet. Fun fact, 937 had basically no strategic value at all for the US, one day the commanders were just like "Take that poo poo, and also do it with infantry for some reason." We won and then almost immediately abandoned it.

Didn't we take it twice? And then immediately abandoned it back to the NVA both times?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Didn't we take it twice? And then immediately abandoned it back to the NVA both times?

We may have, I only really know about the main 10-day battle for the mountain.

• Locked thread