Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

J posted:

Viper strike is a single target melee skill, also referred to as a "namelock" skill. Meaning you have to click directly on every badguy to hit them. This tends to feel a lot worse to play than skills where you can just click in the general direction of the badguys and blow them all away from a distance. If you don't mind this, then by all means go ahead and try it.

I see, it's definitely tougher than the optional drag-targetting like Grim Dawn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

myDad posted:

I see, it's definitely tougher than the optional drag-targetting like Grim Dawn

Multistrike helps a fair bit with this and I never really had a problem.

The bigger problem with Viper Strike is that it is single target and with the aoe reductions in 2.6 it becomes difficult to scale up the aoe if you wanted to use it as your general clear skill. Quality Melee Splash and Inc AOE will take up 2 supports (forget the Slayer aoe node, it's tiny) and you'll still probably want at least one aoe passive tree cluster. So in a 5L, you'll have Viper Strike - Multistrike - Melee Splash - Inc AOE - and then a single more multiplier slot.

If you're just planning on using it for single target / boss kills, it's fantastic.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
I was using Melee Splash & planned on adding Multistrike. Big problem I've noticed after watching streams was the lack of single-target damage. There's a hundred-and-a-half skills that can easily clear popcorn, but everyone was using those same skills on bosses to much less effect. Figured I'd go backwards and have a skill that would melt bosses then build towards letting it clear waves. Maybe there's another skill that can go all on physical, chaos, and poison for aoe or maybe there will be some more support gems added as the beta progresses...

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Viper strike looks like it'd have good synergy with abyssal cry or occultist boom node (profane bloom?). Kill one mob, explode the rest.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

^^ I was using Abyssal Cry too, and it has the same small aoe issue and also has an annoying cooldown.

idk, I had the same idea a few months ago (can look at my post history here where I talked about it a few times) and ended up making it to low maps in Legacy. 6L (Viper Strike - Multistrike - qual Melee Splash - qual Inc AOE - Melee Phys (I think) - Void Manip (I think)) -- it killed stuff fast but the aoe was too small and it felt bad to play. I didn't have any aoe nodes on the tree, though.

e: in fact, looking at that character, I ended up just switching to Cyclone as my clear skill because it felt so much better.

e2: NowYouWantTacos is the character if you're interested in looking at my build. I'm sure my tree is trash but w/e https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/regulargonzalez/characters

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 10, 2017

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

McFrugal posted:

I'm not sure I understand how race prizes work. When it says 100x beta keys for level 30, does that mean only the first 100 players get beta keys? Or is it a random selection from the prizes listed for that level, so the first 400 players get a random prize from the listed items? It wouldn't make sense for everyone who reached level 30 within a week to get 100 of each of those things...

It's 100 random people who've hit at least level 30 will receive a key.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I did Lacerate/Viper Strike Starforge/Cospris Slayer in Legacy. It was very, very good. Viper Strike did obscene damage for single target even in a 5L. That said, I really just did Viper because I wanted to, not because it was super good; Lacerate in a 6L was like 90% of the damage for single target, let me stay further than point blank, and didn't require namelock.

Xequecal
Jun 14, 2005

J posted:

Viper strike is a single target melee skill, also referred to as a "namelock" skill. Meaning you have to click directly on every badguy to hit them. This tends to feel a lot worse to play than skills where you can just click in the general direction of the badguys and blow them all away from a distance. If you don't mind this, then by all means go ahead and try it.

Technically you don't have to do this, if you shift+click Viper Strike it will attack a random target in range if there is one. Since you'll probably be using Multistrike with it anyways which also attacks randomly you don't lose anything doing this.

The main reason you can't use Viper Strike now is linking it to melee splash will double dip the less damage mod on the poison, causing your AOE to just completely suck. In 3.0 however double dipping is removed so it becomes much better.

Also,

Yeah, I think I'm gonna go southpaw Viper Strike Gladiator for 3.0. There's, like, seven major mana nodes in that area? They also buff your flasks so you can DW block cap with Rumi's, and then you can pick up all the skill duration that's also right next to them.

Xequecal fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jun 10, 2017

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
someone please invite BetaUshiz

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
fwiw the 1 week race has Masters and therefore hideouts and "normal" trading, the only thing that probably wont work is poe.trade because no API+website for the race

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Bushiz posted:

someone please invite BetaUshiz

regulargonzalez posted:

Sorry, anyone who hasn't been invited to the beta guild. It's full up and can't invite any more. And we can't add space because all microtransactions are disabled.

Maybe someone can start a second guild if there's enough interest.

I'll book inactives in a week or so which should free up room.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Goa Tse-tung posted:

fwiw the 1 week race has Masters and therefore hideouts and "normal" trading, the only thing that probably wont work is poe.trade because no API+website for the race

poe.trade is up for it now, no currency yet though

already bought an Anvil for my maxblock Gladiator, time to tear HC a new rear end in a top hat

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

I have a near perfect facebreaker in the beta, the highest listed so far, should I sell or try to find a bor or abyssus to jump to high end content

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Whatever you want, it's all getting deleted eventually anyways.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I used a Multistrike gem for the first time :stare:

This game feels very better now

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
drat, that new Cloak of Defiance with Hierophant is 60% of damage taken from mana before hit. I was planning to do a permastunner Juggernaut as my 3.0 league starter but might do a mana tank Pledge caster instead

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

frajaq posted:

I used a Multistrike gem for the first time :stare:

This game feels very better now

Yep. For namelock melee skills, multistrike is the biggest qol upgrade. Second biggest is a movement skill - whirling blades, shield charge, just plain old high movespeed or leap slam, in roughly that order.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I do use Leap Slam but it still feels slows sometimes

I finally beat the game on normal, and was about to enter the Cruel mode for the first time before remembering I didn't do my Ascendancy Trial yet :negative:

The labyrinth just looks so drat annoying to go through

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Leap Slam is faster than Whirling Blades but only if you hold shift and always click far away.

J
Jun 10, 2001

If you really want to go fast with leap slam, equip a brightbeak and a prismatic eclipse with 3 green sockets in your weapon swap and try leap slamming around with that. Great for zooming through the lab.

Katasi
Nov 22, 2005
White water rafting down the river styx

frajaq posted:

I do use Leap Slam but it still feels slows sometimes

I finally beat the game on normal, and was about to enter the Cruel mode for the first time before remembering I didn't do my Ascendancy Trial yet :negative:

The labyrinth just looks so drat annoying to go through

You can go to cruel and come back to normal later to do the lab.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

J posted:

If you really want to go fast with leap slam, equip a brightbeak and a prismatic eclipse with 3 green sockets in your weapon swap and try leap slamming around with that. Great for zooming through the lab.

see I'm still new to the game so I have no idea what those things are

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

frajaq posted:

see I'm still new to the game so I have no idea what those things are

Both unique 1H weapons. Brightbeak is >2aps, Prismatic Eclipse increases attack speed per green socket on it, on top of the normal 15% increase you get for dual-wielding.

Katasi posted:

You can go to cruel and come back to normal later to do the lab.

To expand: when you go to a waypoint, look at the top of the screen that pops up. That will let you move between difficulties.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 11, 2017

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Man I do like that there is a lot of depth of mechanics, builds and items in this game, but sometimes it just feels very overwhelming

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

frajaq posted:

Man I do like that there is a lot of depth of mechanics, builds and items in this game, but sometimes it just feels very overwhelming

There are ways to make sense of it all, but for now focus on one slice of the pie. I highly recommend following a build guide on one of your early characters just to get a feel for what makes a build come together.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Someone recommend me a build for the beta?

LordNat
May 16, 2009

redneck nazgul posted:

Someone recommend me a build for the beta?

https://poebuildroulette.github.io/
It is going to be wiped and the main point is to look for bugs so do something random and see what happens

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

George posted:

There are ways to make sense of it all, but for now focus on one slice of the pie. I highly recommend following a build guide on one of your early characters just to get a feel for what makes a build come together.

I feel like I joined at the worst possible time as a new player after watching this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1MXrIYaLys

Since the mechanics of this league are the mechanics of all previous leagues combined, and also 3.0 is coming soon which will probably change everything anyway :v:

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Or a very good time - you'll get a sense for mechanics, the design space, and the various systems. But yeah, focus on learning now, then push content in 3.0

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
As far as "Being a bad time to start learning the game" goes, now is not too bad. There's a lot of stuff that's being redone, sure. But soon it should be pretty stable overall for some time. Besides, the major things that new players need to overcome hasn't changed and everything should be fine.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

btw grand spectrum is limited to 3 total across all colors.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
welp that is very bad

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Count Uvula posted:

welp that is rightfully limiting a very OP, albeit expensive, mechanic

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Flat mana and flat armor can't otherwise be gotten from the tree in significant amount so red and blue grand spectrums have a theoretical use but if it's three max it's hard for me to imagine a situation where they would ever be worth using over a jewel with any increased life %. Green grand spectrums will likely be an alright stop gap on ele builds while you try to get even middling jewels that can beat them out, but if they retain the same rarity they have in 2.6 there won't be enough of them going around to serve that purpose until a bit in to the league :v:

I was defending the Grand Spectrum changes back when people thought it was 3 of each because that'd make them very strong jewels with the limitation that your build needs to want a shitload of armor and mana along with the more commonly desired ele damage. This will probably put them in with the pile of other unique jewels that are 'kinda cool but not worth using over a randomized jewel', which is a better result in my eyes than the old design where you stacked 12 green grand spectrums or didn't use them at all (outside of Guardian shenaniganery with the blue ones) but still kind of a disappointing approach to balancing them.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

No they're actually worse than three mod jewels now when stacked to the max, that's terrible

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

I still feel as though even if it were "3 max for each base type" instead of "3 max, period" it'd still make the elemental damage one too powerful.

Keep in mind I've basically never had any shiny cool expensive OP poo poo and am super bitter whenever anyone else does.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

whypick1 posted:

I still feel as though even if it were "3 max for each base type" instead of "3 max, period" it'd still make the elemental damage one too powerful.

Keep in mind I've basically never had any shiny cool expensive OP poo poo and am super bitter whenever anyone else does.

Well 1) They got rid of double dipping and 2) It's still only 30% per jewel which is technically worse than something you can alt and regal.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

whypick1 posted:

9 jewels for 270% elemental damage is worse than dedicated rares but dat armor and mana. Sadly, it was not to be.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

whypick1 posted:

You never have a decent 4 mod jewel? I'm sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Kild posted:

btw grand spectrum is limited to 3 total across all colors.

That's... yeah that's worthless.

• Locked thread