Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

forgot to qualify that--i meant after the deadball era.

is there somewhere i can query this? i'm a db guy but have no idea where to find a db of such things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Abel Wingnut posted:

forgot to qualify that--i meant after the deadball era.

is there somewhere i can query this? i'm a db guy but have no idea where to find a db of such things

I assume the BB-Ref play index can do it, that's the go to for this type of thing.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
It probably happened just after the deadball era (assuming we're calling that 1800s-1920). Most of the 20s through 40s have homerun rates/game that are less than half of what we have now, and there were also half as many teams so a full slate was only 8 games.

I ran some numbers and if we assume 1 homerun/game on average, which meshes with that era, the likelihood of having 8 games with no homeruns is 1 in 2980. Roughly estimating 100 days/season having full schedules means it would be likely to happen in 30 seasons. In contrast, this season we have a HR rate of 2.46/game (!!!), and having 15 games with no homeruns is a 1 in 10^16 chance. So if it happened, it very likely wasn't anytime recently, but who knows. You can't predict baseball, Suzyn.

Petanque fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 10, 2017

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

elentar posted:

Sort of expecting Newcomb to get a baptism by fire, the knocks on him are makeup as well as command when the makeup slips. He'll be a good rotation arm, but whether he's a #2 or a #4/5 depends on if he can keep control of his poo poo.

He definitely should get every chance to do so though, not like there's too many other MLB-ready options, just loads more rookies. (At least till Medlen makes his way back up.)

I'll take what Newcomb did today any day.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The Cubs do not appear to be a good team this year. Last year's playoffs broke Joe Maddon.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I feel like colleges should teach a class on querying baseball reference (as well as pro-football/basketball reference since they all do the same platform), cause man I feel like I never get enough out of that site.

Also, I was in Seattle's Chinatown last night. So many Jays fans :sigh:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
On an inside pitch.

https://twitter.com/BryanHoch/status/873684017723441154

That's also his 19th of the season.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Brinson up for the Brewers, Villar to the DL. Bringing up all the kids lately for a taste.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Inspector_666 posted:

On an inside pitch.

Aaron Judge is going to kill a pitcher on a line drive up the middle and baseball will have to be cancelled.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Inspector_666 posted:

On an inside pitch.

the size of Judge's silhouette compared to the arc measurement makes me think he's about 30ft tall.

That's....that's not true. Is it?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Tom Gorman posted:

the size of Judge's silhouette compared to the arc measurement makes me think he's about 30ft tall.

That's....that's not true. Is it?

That's not off by much...

https://twitter.com/sung_minkim/status/873691079501004800

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Judge is the same size as Lebron if Lebron put on 15 pounds lol

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Confirmed: Aaron Judge is Bill Brasky

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I'll take what Newcomb did today any day.

Yeah, that was a hell of a debut. No tamping down expectations now.

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
In 9 hours I will be leaving for my first ever trip to the Hall of Fame. I'm stoked. Has anyone ever been? Any pointers? When I first started dating my girlfriend I mentioned to her that the Hall of Fame was one of my lifelong dreams, and for my birthday, she surprised me with this trip.

I might no-shame cry when I get there.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Dingleberry Jones posted:

In 9 hours I will be leaving for my first ever trip to the Hall of Fame. I'm stoked. Has anyone ever been? Any pointers? When I first started dating my girlfriend I mentioned to her that the Hall of Fame was one of my lifelong dreams, and for my birthday, she surprised me with this trip.

Get a picture with Homer's plaque

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

I want to see him stand next to Altuve.

I was last there 9 years ago, so I'm not sure how relevant my advice would be. I would suggest taking your time above all else. There's a lot to see and it's tempting to rush through there, but try not to.

Going there with my grandpa is a very fond memory. Just soak it all in man, it's a very cool place. :unsmith:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Altuve would probably barely make his armpits.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Judge is huge for a baseballing man, and it's cool that he's great and all, but it's weird when people go into Andre The Giant style freakshow mode about him. Among the general populace it's unusual but not THAT unusual. 6'7 is "fair chances of finding someone else in the stadium that height" tall.

I have a friend of almost 20 years who is the same height, and he lives in a tiny rear end low-density town, and he is not even the only person in the town who is that tall. I dunno. I don't mean to sound like a dick, I think the real story is that he is both an MLB player and very good.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jun 11, 2017

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

He's huge. That being said a buddy of mine is 7'2" and is astronomically huge.

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER

Craptacular! posted:

Judge is huge for a baseballing man, and it's cool that he's great and all, but it's weird when people go into Andre The Giant style freakshow mode about him. Among the general populace it's unusual but not THAT unusual. 6'7 is "fair chances of finding someone else in the stadium that height" tall.

I have a friend of almost 20 years who is the same height, and he lives in a tiny rear end low-density town, and he is not even the only person in the town who is that tall. I dunno. I don't mean to sound like a dick, I think the real story is that he is both an MLB player and very good.

whatever shortboi, the judge is the largest and goodest baseball man

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Craptacular! posted:

6'7" and in that good of shape is pretty rare. I knew a lot of guys at or around 6'7" from my Ultimate Frisbee days but none of them were built like that.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

He seems like a taller Puig. Puig isn't freakishly tall but he's built like a tank.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I went there for Ryne Sandberg's induction, which was complete insanity. The entire town was packed to the gills with people. I imagine on a normal week, the vibe is way more chill with a folksy small-town feel. My favorite part about going on induction weekend was the fact that you'd just be walking down the street and oh hey there's Dave Winfield, there's Yogi Berra, there's Rollie Fingers, just checking out the local shops like everyone else.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

DON'T RACE THE FREEZE
https://twitter.com/iamjoonlee/status/873385285140307968

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/rtjr/status/873931231402098690

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

I honestly thought that was a child until I realized what I was looking at.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I honestly thought that was a child until I realized what I was looking at.

Altuve speaks to the child in all of us.

Seriously it's like Rookie of the Year except with mashing dingers.

Nick Rivers
Nov 23, 2004

I like that Judge only does postgame interviews alongside Tonto and Tarzan.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Pancakes posted:

6'7" and in that good of shape is pretty rare. I knew a lot of guys at or around 6'7" from my Ultimate Frisbee days but none of them were built like that.

I don't even want to think about how many calories Judge has to take in on a daily basis to maintain that physique at that height.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
He won't stop. He can't stop.

https://twitter.com/BryanHoch/status/873988834811359234

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

:captainpop::chanpop:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

http://mediadownloads.mlb.com/mlbam/mp4/2017/06/11/1487561383/1497210517312/asset_2500K.mp4

Holy loving poo poo

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

What is this feeling.....is it enjoyment of Yankees based ball...?!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Der Meister posted:

What is this feeling.....is it enjoyment of Yankees based ball...?!

One of us! One of us!

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/873998703459262464

So glad this trade didn't happen.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

The catcher flinching is the best part.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
This Yankees team is incredibly fun to watch, and between Sanchez, Judge and Severino (with Torres and Frazier hopefully soon) we have this core of homegrown talent that is so exciting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
The coolest thing about Judge is that he wears #99

• Locked thread