Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Even Gedo knows his perfect son was in trouble :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Swoon
Nov 25, 2003

ALL WE DO IS PARTY

Great match, great thread. I think I'm going to go watch the sun rise.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Okada's doing a great job in this post match selling the fact he's dead

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Mr. Swoon posted:

Great match, great thread. I think I'm going to go watch the sun rise.

:cheers:

What a blast, I love New Japan

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
A fantastic match and Liger shouting at the crowd to stand up makes me smile, and knowing that Sunday lunch is coming soon, it's a great day so far.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I need to sleep I'm too hyped to sleep

cams
Mar 28, 2003

https://twitter.com/MattJackson13/status/873868516172079104

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
Oh no. No no no. Do we want to see this match?

For those not watching, Cody just challenged Okada for a match at Long Beach.

A Banana
Jun 11, 2013
No we don't, shut up Cody.

Directly after almost throwing in the towel? I hope the only place this leads is 'Cody gets ignored/squashed'

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Hoss Corncave posted:

wat

i mean... hrm.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
The Bullet Club giving Kenny their power (after Cody was told to quit it with the towel) was super heartwarming. I didn't see anyone else from CHAOS come down to cheer Okada. Bullet Club are the better friends. :colbert:

Dr. Dirt
Jan 1, 2008

This one goes out to all the Legomaniacs!
My first inkling that the main event may end in a time-limit draw was when they announced 50 minutes, but that last 10 minutes definitely did not drag. What a great visual, Okada desperate to make the cover as those last few seconds passed by.

Cav
Jun 7, 2002

I'm a (3 star) Highway Star.
Omega vs. Okada I isn't the best match this year.

My brain is having trouble processing this.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

this card had two five star matches. great show. great main event. lost my poo poo at omega dodging the rainmaker by passing out.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup

Hoss Corncave posted:

Can Cody just go away?

He completely sucks

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Can Cody just go away?

He completely sucks

He should have did a full tour with New Japan on the undercard before getting a push - he's young enough where he still has time to learn

As of right now, he's mediocre

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Cody's older than Okada

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

gif Probst posted:

this card had two five star matches. great show. great main event. lost my poo poo at omega dodging the rainmaker by passing out.

Kenny FINALLY hitting the One Winged Angel only for Okada to be within reach of a rope-break was ungodly good.

PunkBoy posted:

The Bullet Club giving Kenny their power (after Cody was told to quit it with the towel) was super heartwarming. I didn't see anyone else from CHAOS come down to cheer Okada. Bullet Club are the better friends. :colbert:

Gedo was there, and Gedo provides 5000% of Okada's daily required support. :3:

Signor
Oct 10, 2005
Huzzah!
Loved the match, but the ending left me bitter, when are they going to pull the trigger on Kenny?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
If they don't do Omega vs Okada at Long Beach I'm gonna be pretty sad. I mean I'll still have fun but they'll know how sad they made me. They'll know.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Absolutely fantastic show. Never enjoyed a card so much where most of my favorites lost, and I dug the SZKG interefence a lot more than normal because they basically made it a stable war match from the get go.

The_Rob posted:

If they don't do Omega vs Okada at Long Beach I'm gonna be pretty sad. I mean I'll still have fun but they'll know how sad they made me. They'll know.

It's gonna be Cody :sigh:. Not what I envisioned when I bought my plane tickets, but hopefully the shows will deliver

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Signor posted:

Loved the match, but the ending left me bitter, when are they going to pull the trigger on Kenny?

When they're sure he'll be staying long-term

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Is there any doubt that they do Omega/Okada again at WK? The Cody match seems like a way to kill time between now and January. Maybe squeeze in an Omega/Cody match, too, after Cody gets ousted from BC.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Gut reaction is I preferred the Dome match but this was unreal and had aspects I liked better. The last 10 minutes were some of the most dramatic in a match I can ever remember.

Cody getting the Long Beach shot legitimately runs a risk of getting a ruin the match, business-for-themselves kind of crowd reaction. It's going to be "We want Kenny" chants for like 30 minutes. I say this as someone who likes Cody.

Signor
Oct 10, 2005
Huzzah!
Any chance this means Kenny wins G1 again to finally get the win?

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Signor posted:

Any chance this means Kenny wins G1 again to finally get the win?

Feels like Naito's time to me. Who knows though, this is why a good contingent of folks wanted a draw because no one knows wtf the direction is now since there are several viable directions. This is a good thing.

Watching the match back again in English and Don Callis is freaking great on commentary, some kind of combo of Jesse Ventura and 1992 Heenan with his favoring of Kenny. My one criticism right now is a technical one: he needs to move a few inches off the mic when he gets really excited.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Chris James 2 posted:

When they're sure he'll be staying long-term

Pretty much. It's Shibata all over again.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Can Cody just go away?

He completely sucks

He's pretty good.

Main event was one of the best 60 minute matches I've ever seen.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

He's pretty good.

Main event was one of the best 60 minute matches I've ever seen.

I thought the G1 Tanahashi/Okada draw was one of the best draws I've seen until last night. Both Okada and Omega killed it with selling, moves, and the best facials ever

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

sigmachiev posted:

Gut reaction is I preferred the Dome match but this was unreal and had aspects I liked better. The last 10 minutes were some of the most dramatic in a match I can ever remember.

Cody getting the Long Beach shot legitimately runs a risk of getting a ruin the match, business-for-themselves kind of crowd reaction. It's going to be "We want Kenny" chants for like 30 minutes. I say this as someone who likes Cody.

Yeah I actually like Cody a lot, and honestly I think he would have a good match with Okada. But man ending in a draw and having Kenny Omega win that title at the next event would be huge.

The_Rob fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jun 11, 2017

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The_Rob posted:

Yeah I actually like Cody a lot, and honestly I think he would have a good match with Cody. But man ending in a draw and having Kenny Omega win that title at the next event would be huge.

Yeah nothing against Cody but anybody but Omega feels like a let down. It could even be like a Young Flair or Kobashi facing Okada and it'd still feel wrong

Signor
Oct 10, 2005
Huzzah!

sigmachiev posted:

Feels like Naito's time to me. Who knows though, this is why a good contingent of folks wanted a draw because no one knows wtf the direction is now since there are several viable directions. This is a good thing.

Watching the match back again in English and Don Callis is freaking great on commentary, some kind of combo of Jesse Ventura and 1992 Heenan with his favoring of Kenny. My one criticism right now is a technical one: he needs to move a few inches off the mic when he gets really excited.

Agreed with Callis. The way he sold the story of the drop kick as a weapon brought a brand new element of the story. Now we have the One winged angel and the legendary drop kick as subsets of the feud. A big part of that is due to Callis.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I hope Cody wins the strap in LA and Kenny doesn't get it :twisted:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Cosmic Brain:

C. Everett Koop posted:

I hope Cody wins the strap in LA and Kenny doesn't get it :twisted:

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
My first ever NJPW event was WK11 followed by this one. Picked a good time to start watching I think

Gonna be hard going back to wwe straight after that main event. Raw will be piss

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
i hope cody's pants fall down and red shoes disqualifies him

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm just watching Omega-Okada now and I already have a "lol that's not 5 stars" moment - Okada whiffs on kicking Omega in the face about 6 minutes in and Omega sells it anyway

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

EugeneJ posted:

I'm just watching Omega-Okada now and I already have a "lol that's not 5 stars" moment - Okada whiffs on kicking Omega in the face about 6 minutes in and Omega sells it anyway

Okada kicks so hard that the air pressure of the missed kick stunned Kenny

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I feel a little disappointed that I watched this on VoD and not live 'cause the minute I saw the show was five and a half fuckin' hours, I could tell something was up. I figured out what the result of the main event was gonna be about halfway into the show.

Still incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

VJeff posted:

I feel a little disappointed that I watched this on VoD and not live 'cause the minute I saw the show was five and a half fuckin' hours, I could tell something was up. I figured out what the result of the main event was gonna be about halfway into the show.

Still incredible.

One way to think so as not to do a light spoiler is that I've seen a couple other really big shows have that length too, as sometimes they also do a lot of preshow and postshow stuff and include Young Lions matches in the whole presentation.

• Locked thread