Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Slime posted:

A suggestion for ToME: Just cheat and unlock all the races and classes. A lot of the unlock requirements are boring, rely on luck or both and honestly a lot of the more fun classes are gated for no good reason. Don't worry if you suck, you'll improve more if you're having more fun by playing more interesting classes even if you're poo poo.

i finally took this advice and now i'm having a blast as a skeleton brawler punching the poo poo out of all the living nerds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Helical Nightmares posted:

Sheltered is getting large updates soon!

If you consider This War of Mine as a Rogue-lite then the post-apocalyptic Sheltered also fits snugly in this category.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/356040/Sheltered/

What is Sheltered?

Updates to come!

where the heck do you find info about these updates? this game looks interesting but the reviews on steam arent great so im wondering if the updates will fix those complaints

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

juggalo baby coffin posted:

where the heck do you find info about these updates? this game looks interesting but the reviews on steam arent great so im wondering if the updates will fix those complaints

Keep in mind Sheltered IS a pixel version of This War of Mine without the action during exploration. I bought it when it was 75% off (~4$) and it satisfies that crafting/accumulation itch for me. I would not pay $14 as the game stands now though.

It's still has that unfinished feel. Raids on your shelter don't occur until at least day 50 for example.

The updates are in the Steam news thread for the game.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/356040/announcements/

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Is Xenomarine the one that Kornel of DRL was working on, or is that something else?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Arivia posted:

Is Xenomarine the one that Kornel of DRL was working on, or is that something else?

That's Jupiter Hell.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Neo Scavenger is only $3.50 at chrono.gg for the next few hours!

https://chrono.gg/

What is Neo Scavenger?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3088...r-5.html#slide3

quote:

Neo Scavenger
Speaking of ugly, brutal, and wonderful games, fans of tough experiences will want to check out Neo Scavenger ($4.94 during the sale).

You wake up in a wasteland with no idea what’s going on, and must survive long enough to figure out the randomized world. Saying that’s harder than it sounds would be an understatement. The game’s mechanics don’t let up, with the constant threats of hunger, weather exposure, dehydration, and devastatingly dirty no-holds-barred combat looming. The fighting, wound system, and inventory are all gloriously, sometimes frustratingly realistic. And did I mention that when you die, you stay dead, and have to start over? There aren’t even experience points in the game—you just learn how to play it better.

Neo Scavenger won’t be for everyone. But if you like it, you’ll love it, and it’s worth rolling the dice when the game’s selling for under $5. The combat system alone is worth it.

Neo Scavenger got updated (after years) to v1.15 which....fixes a couple of autosave bugs.

They are planning to release it on iOS and Android, but buy it on PC for all the mods.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/248860/allnews/

Mods I recommend

Mighty (mini)Mod of Doom <--M(m)MoD-->
- adds items, recipes, locations and a story line

http://bluebottlegames.com/main/node/3348

[Mod]Big Bad Cheater (update #5.5) (v0.992b and later) -- adds a cheat mode and method for you to start with all the advantages. I highly recommend this mod to explore Neo Scavenger in the beginning so you can get some understanding of the mechanics instead of instantly dying.

http://bluebottlegames.com/main/node/3351

Holy poo poo How Do I Play This Unforgiving Game

Try this Let's Play: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3gz16qZOj8

Happy Wastelanding!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Neo Scavenger is so good. I have it on Steam and still play it pretty regularly.

Unfortunately, the early-game is luck-dependent hell if you don't know which skills to pick. I have just the thing.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Junkie Disease posted:

Switch needs more Roguelikes. Like all of them.
I would snap buy Sproggiwood: Switch Edition, HINT HINT to certain posters in this thread :colbert:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

why are people linking so many other inferior roguelikes then

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

PMush Perfect posted:

Neo Scavenger is so good. I have it on Steam and still play it pretty regularly.

Unfortunately, the early-game is luck-dependent hell if you don't know which skills to pick. I have just the thing.

Oh yeah. NEO is a very good game but it also loving hates you and wants you to suffer. I've never managed to beat it but still fire it up and play it from time to time.

I don't regret buying it at full price. On sale for that it's a drat steal.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

So I know it's more lite than like, but I picked up Dead Cells today. It's pretty rad, and also appropriately difficult in that it keeps kicking my rear end.

Wayback
Aug 16, 2004

I'm made of metal
My circuits gleam
I am perpetual
I keep the country clean
Yea, I'm at the point where I really enjoy it but don't want to burn out before it hits completed status

hyperbowl
Mar 26, 2010

Arivia posted:

why are people linking so many other inferior roguelikes then

The Jupiter Hell kickstarter has only updated once since January. Is anything exciting going on with it?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

hyperbowl posted:

The Jupiter Hell kickstarter has only updated once since January. Is anything exciting going on with it?

Doesn't seem like it, but they're still plugging along. Kornel posts a lot about day-to-day development on Twitter.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

hyperbowl posted:

Kornel does devstreams, and the game is being made. So nothing exciting until they're ready to let it into the world.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Woebin posted:

So I know it's more lite than like, but I picked up Dead Cells today. It's pretty rad, and also appropriately difficult in that it keeps kicking my rear end.

My only issue with it is it's too easy to get stun-locked to death, ending an otherwise very good run. Part of that is probably me being over-confident though

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Kornel's working on Jupiter Hell despite the lure of E3:

https://twitter.com/epyoncf/status/874038329989369856

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

PantsBandit posted:

My only issue with it is it's too easy to get stun-locked to death, ending an otherwise very good run. Part of that is probably me being over-confident though
Yeah, avoiding melee engagement often seems to be key. Use your ranged weapon and skills, remember that they're not finite resources so long as you keep track of the cooldowns. I got through the first three stages by just throwing sawblades and turrets on the floor and staying out of the fray.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I'm just salty because I made it to the first boss and got pushed into the corner and brought from 100% to dead without being able to get out. I was feeling really cocky though, as I had a great build going. I've beaten that guy with way worse gear so it's mostly on me but it still sucked.

But you're right, the gadgets are immensely important. CC in general is huge as you can nuke most enemies before they can counter-attack if you're patient.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Internet Friend posted:

Dang, we were just gung ho for Cogmind's Steam release but it looks like it's going to be delayed due to injury:

https://twitter.com/GridSageGames/status/873350722414182400

RL, roguelike and real life.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

This is kind of a longshot but I played a weird first person tile-based dungeon crawler type game in like, the late 90s. I was a kid and it came on a demo disc with a pc gaming magazine. The magazine gave it a really lovely review but I thought the demo was great. I remember it being where I learned what a guild was, cause you had to pick a guild when you started a game.

Anyone know what it would be?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

This is kind of a longshot but I played a weird first person tile-based dungeon crawler type game in like, the late 90s. I was a kid and it came on a demo disc with a pc gaming magazine. The magazine gave it a really lovely review but I thought the demo was great. I remember it being where I learned what a guild was, cause you had to pick a guild when you started a game.

Anyone know what it would be?

Yendorian Tales 2 and 3?

e: Game one was an Ultima clone.

super sweet best pal fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 12, 2017

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Since we're doing requests, here's a super obscure one that I doubt anyone knows of.

Way back when, like in the era of the late 90's/2000's I found this crazy top down space based RTS/action game. In it you built up a fleet and went through engagements piloting what I remember was basically a mech while your fleet duked it out against another fleet. As you won battles you earned cash to upgrade and buy new ships for your fleet, which you could give indirect orders too while fighting and they'd carry them out for you.

Think Starsector back before Starsector ever even was a thought in the guy's mind. The game was obviously indie as hell and it was channeling some serious Gundam vibes in it's art design. It was way ahead of the era it came around in too.

Last I remember it was in development when I got a copy of it tossed my way by a friend. Anyone have any loving clue what it was? It's been periodically bugging me. I've got no doubt that it's probably primitive by today's terms but holy poo poo was it fun as hell. I think I blew like several weeks just getting a massive fleet and slugging it out in huge engagements.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Archonex posted:

Since we're doing requests, here's a super obscure one that I doubt anyone knows of.

Way back when, like in the era of the late 90's/2000's I found this crazy top down space based RTS/action game. In it you built up a fleet and went through engagements piloting what I remember was basically a mech while your fleet duked it out against another fleet. As you won battles you earned cash to upgrade and buy new ships for your fleet, which you could give indirect orders too while fighting and they'd carry them out for you.

Think Starsector back before Starsector ever even was a thought in the guy's mind. The game was obviously indie as hell and it was channeling some serious Gundam vibes in it's art design. It was way ahead of the era it came around in too.

Last I remember it was in development when I got a copy of it tossed my way by a friend. Anyone have any loving clue what it was? It's been periodically bugging me. I've got no doubt that it's probably primitive by today's terms but holy poo poo was it fun as hell. I think I blew like several weeks just getting a massive fleet and slugging it out in huge engagements.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2EQUUCsZIc

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
For more vaguely-remembered games you played 20+ years ago, check out the "Help us remember the name of a game" thread.

Kyzrati
Jun 27, 2015

MAIN.C

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Cogmind

Yeah the "sold through a one-time download link and if you lose it you're hosed" model really sucks.
As per the recovery instructions on the forum, anyone who loses the link just has to shoot me an email and I reply in like 5-10 minutes with your missing link. On request I've also been switching people's email address and sending the link to a new one. You'll *never* lose access. I don't even need a receipt or order number--just your name and/or email address you used, whichever you can remember :P

I was gonna get into launching Cogmind on Steam within a few weeks (literally the next item on my TODO list), but have had to stop dev for an unknown amount of time due to a serious injury... looks like that news was already relayed here. Totally itching to get back in, but at this point I have to deal with my stupid body first. drat RNG strikes again. Last year it broke my shoulder, this time I wish it was just that!

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

I sure wish Minecraft had as good a recovery system as you, Kyzrati. I lost my copy after the switch from a Minecraft account to a Mojang account, and my copy was a gift from my grandma, so I didn't have access to the email account used, either. Sure wish I could have just told them my name, eh? I'll buy Cogmind soon after it goes on Steam, though!

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Kyzrati posted:

Last year it broke my shoulder, this time I wish it was just that!
please launch on steam before you run into an accident that is too out of depth

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Holy poo poo. There it is. Thanks!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Darling of abandonware sites circa 2003

Kyzrati
Jun 27, 2015

MAIN.C

Awesome! posted:

please launch on steam before you run into an accident that is too out of depth
Xom is highly amused. +10 to reception on Steam!

Just working on stacking the odds in my favor.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

super sweet best pal posted:

Yendorian Tales 2 and 3?

e: Game one was an Ultima clone.

it had a one word title like nemesis or something

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I would snap buy Sproggiwood: Switch Edition, HINT HINT to certain posters in this thread :colbert:

HINT HINT

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Helical Nightmares posted:

Anyone played Depth of Extinction?

I ran into it on itch.io while back. Back when I played it, none of it really felt great, it didn't have the "snap" you want those games to have.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

it had a one word title like nemesis or something

I'm going to guess Demise. Which was actually fully titled Demise: Rise of the Ku'Tan.

Edit: it may have been too early for Demise so how about Yserbius instead?

Edit2: actually Demise was 1999. Dear god I'm old.

William Henry Hairytaint fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 13, 2017

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I'm going to guess Demise. Which was actually fully titled Demise: Rise of the Ku'Tan.

Edit: it may have been too early for Demise so how about Yserbius instead?

Edit2: actually Demise was 1999. Dear god I'm old.

thaaats the one! thanks so much!

it looks like theres an updated version of it around bizarrely, has anyone played it?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

thaaats the one! thanks so much!

it looks like theres an updated version of it around bizarrely, has anyone played it?

I've played it, and it's pretty good if you can handle graphics that old. There's a demo available here if you'd like to try it out: http://www.decklinsdemise.com/patches.php

e: Also it's supposed to be getting another update/expansion Real Soon Now™

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Yeah the "sold through a one-time download link and if you lose it you're hosed" model really sucks.

this is a fakepost right?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

this is a fakepost right?

No, why would it be? The email warns you about losing it and I didn't know there was an alternative, but three or four people have already responded with that.

And even so it'll still be really good to have it in a format that auto-updates and doesn't require me to go hunting through my webmail archives to find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

No, why would it be? The email warns you about losing it and I didn't know there was an alternative, but three or four people have already responded with that.

And even so it'll still be really good to have it in a format that auto-updates and doesn't require me to go hunting through my webmail archives to find it.

If you read the instructions on the screen, you would have known what to do