Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

right to bear karma
Feb 20, 2001

There's a Dr. Fist here to see you.
Anytime I see Ian McShane in anything, I just think of Swearengen and his EB Farnum impression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Imagine Wednesday with more dirt, more murderous and twice as charming.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

right to bear karma posted:

Anytime I see Ian McShane in anything, I just think of Swearengen and his EB Farnum impression.

You can't just drop that here and leave it at that!

Mandatory link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSchfzne9HU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Mandatory Al ranting, obviously NSFW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otrtP8MdrE8

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

double nine posted:

You can't just drop that here and leave it at that!

Mandatory link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSchfzne9HU
Lol at Titus Welliver casually covering his mouth as her starts up

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
If Wednesday doesn't let at least one "cocksucker" fly over the course of the series I'm going to be very disappointed

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
A Prayer for Mad Sweeney was great.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
That was loving sick. Top marks all around.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
True believers won't be disappointed: there's a dick in this one!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh I guess the new ep is already up places? Sweet.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

CaveGrinch posted:

For fucks sake don't go on Reddit. The Trump supporters have shown up and are now "done" with the show. They were totes cool with all the gay stuff and dongs though.

Ahahaha what

The show has made it extremely clear from episode 1, when the black main character gets lynched, what it has to say about the state of modern America

In fact it has done a MUCH better job at this than the book ever did, they're really giving this a politically relevant vibe. I know they had to wrap all the shooting ages ago but the Vulcan episode was so critical of Trump's America with all the nazi imagery

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Well it wasn't just the fact that they were neo-Nazis, it's the fact that the show explicitly said to gun-worshippers "gently caress you, your fetishes are what's ruining America and you are literally Nazis demanding human sacrifice by your hand."

I mean I agree with it but it makes sense they got upset.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
"Listen I love a gay muslim dick as much as the next guy, but then they started makin' fun of our second amendment!..."

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

GonSmithe posted:

Well it wasn't just the fact that they were neo-Nazis, it's the fact that the show explicitly said to gun-worshippers "gently caress you, your fetishes are what's ruining America and you are literally Nazis demanding human sacrifice by your hand."

I mean I agree with it but it makes sense they got upset.

They would probably dream of living in Vulcan's town, raining guns and ammo, no scary thugs anywhere.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

COOL CORN posted:

"Listen I love a gay muslim dick as much as the next guy, but then they started makin' fun of our second amendment!..."

Someone pointed out to me that they were probably okay with this scene because it confirms their beliefs that Muslim men are all gay cucks

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Great episode, the present day stuff almost felt out of place against the Coming to America sequence. Loved the costuming, the series really shines when it is doing practical effects!

I've decided the best Mad Sweeney line of all is from episode 5: "I swear by the years I spent in the loving trees..."

So perfect...

Also, what was that scene in the new episode when Sweeney flashbacked while looking at Laura and the ice cream truck? Was that supposed to be the first wreck? Did Sweeney/Wednesday set Shadow up by killing Laura and Dane Cook? :psyboom:

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Also, what was that scene in the new episode when Sweeney flashbacked while looking at Laura and the ice cream truck? Was that supposed to be the first wreck? Did Sweeney/Wednesday set Shadow up by killing Laura and Dane Cook? :psyboom:

Looks like it.

Laura concealing her open chest cavity from Mad Sweeney was some hosed up poo poo.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Given that the season finale is next week, I am a little worried. 8 episodes should mean a focused show, not one where the episodes just consist of more and more filler.
I like the episode and if we had 20+ episodes to look forward to then there wouldn't be an issue, but it just wasn't necessary for the story in any way.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

Oasx posted:

Given that the season finale is next week, I am a little worried. 8 episodes should mean a focused show, not one where the episodes just consist of more and more filler.
I like the episode and if we had 20+ episodes to look forward to then there wouldn't be an issue, but it just wasn't necessary for the story in any way.

In the immortal words of sum 41, this season has been all killer and no filler for me.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Oasx posted:

I think this episode may have worked better last week, giving more of a push to the finale, but I enjoyed the vingette and actors so much I forgave it.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

As an Irish guy, the accents bugged the gently caress out of me in this one.

The older woman had a sort of west of Ireland accent and the young one had a sort of Dublin accent. They were both supposedly from Bantry in Cork which sounds nothing like either of the accents they were doing.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

spudsbuckley posted:

The older woman had a sort of west of Ireland accent and the young one had a sort of Dublin accent. They were both supposedly from Bantry in Cork which sounds nothing like either of the accents they were doing.

I can imagine how that can take you right out of what you're watching.

It would be hilarious if that happens with an English character at some point; they're a Scouser as a kid, a Cockney when they're old, but the character is supposed to be from Derby.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

spudsbuckley posted:

It's because it's an American show and Americans can't even tell the difference between an English accent and an Australian accent.

Not that that makes it better for native speakers, but that's the reason.

Coyote Ugly
Nov 14, 2006

GonSmithe posted:

It's because it's an American show and Americans can't even tell the difference between an English accent and an Australian accent.

Not that that makes it better for native speakers, but that's the reason.

You make a very point on that. I could not tell the difference in dialect with the Irish accents. And I think Emily Browning was using one as well, but I don't even know what type her character was suppose to have.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
This is honestly one of the best shows I've ever seen. It's fascinating funny and enigmatic every single time

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Yup. I thought it was going to be Wednesday who killed Laura, but sending his minion to do it makes more sense.

I thought this episode was great and I was a little worried that the road trip was going to end.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
aw yiss opening with some dead man dick

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
I loved this ep. I can see how, if they wanted to stick with the book, they definitely could have tightened up the story to go a bit faster for one season. However, I like the fact that they are expanding on characters. Sweeney was in, like, two scenes in the book and Laura was pretty much a non-starter every time she was around. Giving Browning and Schreiber chances to expand their acting chops a bit is pretty drat welcome and keeps the series from being just a complete play-by-play of the book.

In conclusion

try the new taco place posted:

In the immortal words of sum 41, this season has been all killer and no filler for me.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

spudsbuckley posted:

Fionnula Flanagan who played the old Essie was born in Dublin, but from what I can tell hasn't lived there since the sixties. She's got quite the career including several Emmy nominations and at least one win, but to me she will always be the boarding house lady who fucks all the hockey players in Youngblood.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

Thanks for agreeing with me but I would really rather not know who is in the book or what they do or do not do in said book. There is another thread explicitly for comparing this tv show to the book.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

spudsbuckley posted:

:laffo:
The producers specifically said she was "really good" with accents, which confirms the whole "you all sound the same to Americans" cliche. OTOH your country is barely a tenth the size of Texas so you'll have to forgive us for missing some dialectic nuance... :haw:

Thanks for agreeing with me but I would really rather not know who is in the book or what they do or do not do in said book. There is another thread explicitly for comparing this tv show to the book.

I'm sure he didn't mean to ruin your safe space with the knowledge that the book exists. :gb2gbs:

TV dog Wishbone of PBS posted:

aw yiss opening with some dead man dick
Hey man, spoiler that poo poo before the episode airs! :downsrim:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Ya know, it's funny; last night right after finishing the episode i wasn't feeling overly positive about it, but now as i think back (and read about scenes here and elsewhere) i feel like i like it a lot more. Still not as strong as some of the others, but not by as big of a margin.

Maybe i was just in a lousy tv-watchin mood, who knows?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Nothing ever happens in this show and I am totally OK with that I guess. I think this was my favorite episode yet

Mads finally softening a little bit and immediately getting punched in the face and honked at for his troubles is yet another high point in the best relationship on TV. I would watch a Dead Wife and the Leprechaun sitcom every week

lmao gently caress off

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I really wish that the season was longer than 8 episodes. Like maybe just 10 or 12 would be better. Because as is it really feels like the season is ending too early.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

muscles like this! posted:

I really wish that the season was longer than 8 episodes. Like maybe just 10 or 12 would be better. Because as is it really feels like the season is ending too early.

I think they want ample time to run re-runs to catch people before GoT airs who might have not bothered to start watching because "Starz, el oh el."

There might be a Penny Dreadful effect working against it as well. People worried they're going to get screwed over again investing attention and time into a new 'weird' show.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

drat, I thought this was a 10 episode season. Interested to see how the finale will go. Probably end at house on the rock, since Sweeny was name dropping it?

:jerkbag::jerkbag:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I wasn't huge on this episode, partially because the entire thing was shot with the "Coming to America" aspect ratio even when they snapped back to the main story, and that's annoying on an iPad.

Also no Ian McShane

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Feels like nothing happened this whole episode. The opposite of last episode :(

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Feels like nothing happened this whole episode. The opposite of last episode :(

Things that happened this episode, cab driver went his own way and the rest of the sideplot team were in a car accident. To call the plot's pacing glacial would be generous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

It works as a "calm before the storm" episode for me. Can't wait for the finale next week.