Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
man gently caress off with that howard zinn poo poo

I've you've read exactly one history book after school I can guarantee it's Howard loving Zinn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Spoeank posted:

I've you've read exactly one history book after school I can guarantee it's Howard loving Zinn

I mean...its a pretty good book especially if you can only pick one to supplement a bullshit high school history education.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I mean...its a pretty good book especially if you can only pick one to supplement a bullshit high school history education.

Funnily enough, Howard Zinn was in my high school curriculum :v: (I go back and forth on him)

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
He's got a couple other doubles in there. Noticed From BlackLivesMatter to Black Liberation and What's My Name, Fool?

I remember kinda wanting to read What's My Name, Fool? back when it came out.

e: Long Shot and Freedom is a constant struggle too. He's either giving a lot of books away or wants a separate bathroom library.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jun 11, 2017

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Salvor_Hardin posted:

It just flings the bullshit the other direction to give you a countervailing narrative so you feel smart and Zinn can go, "everything you thought was good? It's actually bad. There you go be woke now my children." I've had so many arguments with people whose historical research starts and ends with People's History because that book convinces you that you know the real story.

It's Catcher in the Rye for history.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Spoeank posted:

It just flings the bullshit the other direction to give you a countervailing narrative so you feel smart and Zinn can go, "everything you thought was good? It's actually bad. There you go be woke now my children." I've had so many arguments with people whose historical research starts and ends with People's History because that book convinces you that you know the real story.

It's Catcher in the Rye for history.

gently caress Catcher :hfive:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Everyone read A People's Tragedy.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

I like James Loewen better than Howard Zinn. He's less nihilistic.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

JAMES LOEWEN IS EXTREMELY MY poo poo

I read Lies Across America while I worked for a museum in the education department and implemented some of the stuff I learned as a "how not to" book for museum work and historical narration.

He's a very good introduction into explaining Public History to people and how museums and monuments say just as much about the people who built them as what they commemorate.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Spoeank posted:

JAMES LOEWEN IS EXTREMELY MY poo poo

I read Lies Across America while I worked for a museum in the education department and implemented some of the stuff I learned as a "how not to" book for museum work and historical narration.

He's a very good introduction into explaining Public History to people and how museums and monuments say just as much about the people who built them as what they commemorate.

Museums are hella amazing. It's so weird to think that plaster copies of Roman statues used to be the crown jewels of any American museum collection.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Spoeank posted:

It's a good book Brent

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Braves did a tribute to the Falcons in the super bowl

https://twitter.com/120Sports/status/873393578218737666

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

bet he doesn't do it.

quote:

Eddie Lacy's next weigh-in is on Monday.

This will be the second of Lacy's seven weigh-ins. He'll hit a $55,000 incentive if he weighs under 250 pounds. Lacy met his first goal last month, checking in two pounds below his target weight of 255. The ex-Packer recently began the P90X 30-day challenge in an effort to shed weight.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

He's on P90X again? If he has to do that multiple times then he clearly isn't sticking with a long-term plan

Fat Eddie's gonna balloon up once he retires

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer
N: Melvin Ingram has been signed by the Chargers more than a month ahead of the July 15 deadline. 4 years, $66m, $42m guaranteed.

V: I wish they learned how to shut the gently caress up and get business done while they were still in San Diego. Still bitter about that.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Who would end up fatter if let to their own devices: Kelvin Benjamin or Eddie Lacy?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

aperion posted:

N: Melvin Ingram has been signed by the Chargers more than a month ahead of the July 15 deadline. 4 years, $66m, $42m guaranteed.

V: I wish they learned how to shut the gently caress up and get business done while they were still in San Diego. Still bitter about that.

man, how is it already time for Ingram to have a second contract? Time goes by so quickly.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Who would end up fatter if let to their own devices: Kelvin Benjamin or Eddie Lacy?

Andy Reid

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Ingram just makes me think about Lattimore. :smith:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

was this the guy shelden richardson manhandled?

quote:

Jets OLB Lorenzo Mauldin has been accused of beating a man for spilling champagne on him at a nightclub.

Mauldin (6'4/259) allegedly attacked 5-foot-7, 145-pound Jean Lopez when Lopez spilled bubbly on him at the Highline Ballroom. Photos published by the New York Post show a brutally beaten Lopez, who sustained "multiple maxillofacial fractures" and needed "numerous plates" inserted into the left side of his face and lips, according to Lopez's lawyer. Lopez is suing Mauldin for assault and battery, although criminal charges have not been filed.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i didn't know this but the greatest football team in the history of the state of arizona, the rattlers, are in the ifl now and their games are live on youtube now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHrqBCtIhC4

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Diqnol posted:

Andy Reid

Andy lost a lot of weight a couple of years ago.

I mean it's relative and he's still huge, but he did lose weight.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

aperion posted:

42 million guaranteed what the ever loving gently caress

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

a neat cape posted:

42 million guaranteed what the ever loving gently caress

Olivier Vernon got more than that and Ingram is arguably better :shrug:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Ehud posted:

Olivier Vernon got more than that and Ingram is arguably better :shrug:

He's played a full season twice in his career.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

He's played a full season twice in his career.

Technically 3 times but the 2 where he started every game were the last 2 years? It's not the worst contract I've ever seen.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

SKULL.GIF posted:

He's on P90X again? If he has to do that multiple times then he clearly isn't sticking with a long-term plan

P90X is great poo poo to have on your phone when doing random cardio in a park or something.

Do a 30 minute workout, go for a swim, take a shower, head back to working.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

aperion posted:

Holy poo poo at that guaranteed money. Just...

That's nuts for what kind of player he is.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

SKULL.GIF posted:

if you've ever seen his parents--they're both pretty obese (especially his dad) and from new orleans, he wasn't exactly raised on healthy eating habits. His dad has immense mantitties

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

AsInHowe posted:

P90X is great poo poo to have on your phone when doing random cardio in a park or something.

Do a 30 minute workout, go for a swim, take a shower, head back to working.

An old coworker of mine lost an enormous amount of weight doing P90X, like well over 100 lbs. But he also quit going out to guzzle beer and eat chicken wings with his bowling team 4 nights a week which was probably even more significant. That feels like the part Fat Eddie is not committed to.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

FizFashizzle posted:

was this the guy shelden richardson manhandled?

No the guy that got manhandled was Darron Lee, our first round pick in 2016. Mauldin is our third round pick from 2015. And the one who did the manhandling was Leonard Williams, our 2015 first round pick.

I'm loving sick of this team. Leonard Williams is the lone bright spot on this blight of a franchise.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
P90X is good but I absolutely cannot stand Tony Horton.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:
https://twitter.com/VicTafur/status/873980591770705920

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

These are always weird to me because I'm like... who doesn't own a Brady jersey already who's going to buy one? Or Rodgers? or... oh hello there Kaepernick.

Nice

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Raku posted:

if you've ever seen his parents--they're both pretty obese (especially his dad) and from new orleans, he wasn't exactly raised on healthy eating habits. His dad has immense mantitties

yeesh

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Raku posted:

Those are the only kind of mantitties to have sir. :colbert:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kalli posted:

These are always weird to me because I'm like... who doesn't own a Brady jersey already who's going to buy one? Or Rodgers? or... oh hello there Kaepernick.

Nice

Honestly, probably bandwagoners and people who bought the one with the screen print on (or whatever it is) it and it's starting to flake off.

Also Kaep being up there is cool and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

iospace posted:

Honestly, probably bandwagoners and people who bought the one with the screen print on (or whatever it is) it and it's starting to flake off.

So... his bastard son?

• Locked thread