Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

the amazing thing is that the big guns of the rebuild only showed up last year with Torres, Sheffield, and Frazier. the Yankees have always killed it in international FA, so it's no surprise they were able to find Sanchez and Severino

my favorite is that the trade the Yankees made for Hideki Irabu back in 1999 eventually lead to the draft pick they used to select Judge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

judge is going to be in trouble when they invent the testing for it and discover he's a toon

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
He uh, hit another one later in the game. Good God.

Also LOOK AT THIS SHIRT.

https://twitter.com/YESNetwork/status/874014846773100545

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 11, 2017

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Wait, 5-5 with 3 HR? Gross.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Some Numbers posted:

Wait, 5-5 with 3 HR? Gross.

No, only 4-4 with 2HR, double and a single. The 495 footer was his first of the game.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

21 HRs and its still the front half of June

What's Judge on pace for?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Mike_V posted:

The coolest thing about Judge is that he wears #99

The Yankees retired the other 98

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

mikeraskol posted:

This Yankees team is incredibly fun to watch, and between Sanchez, Judge and Severino (with Torres and Frazier hopefully soon) we have this core of homegrown talent that is so exciting.

Better sign a sociopathic MVP to a record deal to repeat history. Who would this generation's A-Rod be?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Pancakes posted:

Better sign a sociopathic MVP to a record deal to repeat history. Who would this generation's A-Rod be?

Bryce Harper, duh.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
I know we are all salivating over Judge and I admit he is way better and more exciting, but Mike "Moose", Mike "Career High 22 Home Runs", Mike "94 OPS+" Moustakas hit 2 dongs today giving him 17 home runs which puts him well ahead of Balboni's pace.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

alpha_destroy posted:

I know we are all salivating over Judge and I admit he is way better and more exciting, but Mike "Moose", Mike "Career High 22 Home Runs", Mike "94 OPS+" Moustakas hit 2 dongs today giving him 17 home runs which puts him well ahead of Balboni's pace.

He's going to go on a ridiculous tear and get traded the day he gets to 35 obviously.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

N: brewers bullpen

V: it's poo poo

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
I feel like Judge could somehow bunt for a home run. Dude is freaky strong

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Has anyone got the Judge/Butthead pic?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

This makes me wanna puke a little

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

iospace posted:

N: brewers bullpen

V: it's poo poo

The moment Torres went out there I was like "why is Counsell giving up on a 1-0 game?"

Also Thames is really struggling with that k rate lately. He's swinging at stuff he wouldn't have even twitched at early in the season.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Johnson as in Chris Johnson? Hard to wish him on any team.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

tadashi posted:

Johnson as in Chris Johnson? Hard to wish him on any team.

I was thinking Kelly Johnson

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Joey Freshwater posted:

I was thinking Kelly Johnson
Him or Jim

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

cis autodrag posted:

The moment Torres went out there I was like "why is Counsell giving up on a 1-0 game?"

Also Thames is really struggling with that k rate lately. He's swinging at stuff he wouldn't have even twitched at early in the season.

I don't fault Counsell for leaving the guys in a bit long though. Day off tomorrow, figured he's all "Ok, we're not going to come back from this one, might as well TRY to get three outs and not use up the entirety of the 'pen."

Still, we need to call up someone, or at least trade for a bullpen.

Also Thames :smith:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I wonder if his leg issues are worse than they let on. He came up limping after a pretty small looking spill yesterday.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

So what kind of return are we going to get on Jaime Garcia in like a month cause we are definitely flipping him while he's super hot

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Jumbo Diaz is off the DL if you want big players

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Why haven't there been more giant power hitters? It seems like being very big and strong are good things to have as a baseball player.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

bewbies posted:

Why haven't there been more giant power hitters? It seems like being very big and strong are good things to have as a baseball player.

I think the general idea is if your arms are too long it's hard to compact your swing and get the bat through the zone? I don't know, I just know that there aren't a lot of really tall guys who have been good.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Basketball hoards all the tall, athletic people.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
1) Being MLB-level good at baseball is a < 1 in 1,000,000 quality.
2) Being taller than 6'6 is probably like 1 in 200 or so?
3) The intersection of these sets is small.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Imagine a 7' tall baseball player. His strikezone would be enormous.

If anything we should be surprised there haven't been more Randy Johnsons.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Salvor_Hardin posted:

1) Being MLB-level good at baseball is a < 1 in 1,000,000 quality.
2) Being taller than 6'6 is probably like 1 in 200 or so?
3) The intersection of these sets is small.

Being NBA level good at basketball is < 1 in a million

If there were an advantage to being a tall MLB position player you'd think it would have shown up at some point.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Imagine a 7' tall baseball player. His strikezone would be enormous.

If anything we should be surprised there haven't been more Randy Johnsons.

It's almost equally difficult to keep your pitching mechanics in sync at that height. Dellin Betances is 6' 8" and was drafted as a starter.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

New Concept Hole posted:

Basketball hoards all the tall, athletic people.

This and football was what I was kind of assuming but I was curious if there were some mechanical thing about a baseball swing that put large men at a disadvantage.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc

Mike_V posted:

The coolest thing about Judge is that he wears #99

quote:

They still aren’t going to give him a new number. That’s one of many aspects of the Yankee way – humility, above all else.

Despite a very small bit of grumbling in the press, Judge is bringing himself around to the idea. It is suggested to him that 99 is actually an epic number, especially up here in Canada.

Judge nods slowly at the idea, waiting for more information. You nod with him, hoping he gets there without prompting. You’re both standing there for a long while, nodding at each other like a couple of monks on the path to enlightenment.

“Because of … because of … the hockey?” Judge says finally.

Canada, hockey – this is every American’s safe conversational harbo(u)r.

Yes, because of the hockey! Because it was … you know … it belonged to … help me out here.

Judge is not getting there.

Because it was Wayne Gretzky’s number.

Judge lights up – “Right!”

Are you familiar with him at all?

Judge starts fumbling around for something nice to say, “Um, not really. I don’t know much. I’ve heard stories about him and they’re great. It would have been cool to meet him.”

Apparently, Judge thinks Wayne Gretzky is dead.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/baseball/yankees-breakout-star-aaron-judge-is-assuming-mickeys-mantle/article35197685/

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I wish he would have thought 99 was big in Canada because of curling.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

okay that is pretty drat hilarious

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

Bryce Harper, duh.

If Theo gets the itch, the bidding war for Harper is going to be glorious.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

ihatepants posted:

Think they are gonna sit him when Ellsbury is healthy again? He's currently got the 4th highest wRC+ in baseball (170)

Given that he can play every single outfield position, they will likely cycle him between Left, Center, Right and DH as they rest Gardy, Ellsbury, Judge and Holliday. That's a good amount of playing time for him.

Still you have to wonder what the Yankees are going to do with Ellsbury, who increasingly can't play center and is under contract for 3 more years.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Even though Judge plays for the Yankees, I can't hate the guy at all. He seems real fun.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

https://twitter.com/morsecode/status/874007451510611970

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Speaking of the draft, I got a little blindsided by this:

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/874301769530191872

I've been assuming it was between Wright/McKay/Greene for the last like two months

• Locked thread