Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Sinteres posted:

If Republicans are going to pursue an investigation of the Trump Justice Department, however reluctantly, Democrats need to be willing to make gestures of nonpartisanship.

No, they don't. There is no such thing as nonpartisanship with the right wing, and it's a foolish myth that the left wing needs to constantly prove how even-handed they are. Every nonpartisan act by the left wing plays into the right's hands as they work ever harder to dismantle our system of government and way of life.

Despite all the negative attention drawn by Trump and his supporters we still haven't had one inch of actual progress. Even the guy that physically attacked a reporter won his election and was praised by the right wing for using violence.

Nothing matters until the right begins paying an actual price for their acts. Not bad polling numbers, not negative comments from allies, not close but still victorious races. People have to lose their job, their office, their reputation. They have to lose political contests, not win them. They have to be drummed out of the government and out of society beyond the ability of any propaganda to support or rehabilitate them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

mccain, like every republican, won't go full on let's get rid of donald until the writing's on the wall.

and yeah bipartisanship is dead and the republicans killed it. the fuckers stole a supreme court seat. they obstructed at every turn even on poo poo that was originally their idea (the aca). gently caress em all. slide that overton window all the way to the other end.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jun 12, 2017

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

John McCain got by on his reputation as a "maverick" who would go after his own party if necessary for a long time. I mean, before his last presidential run he was a semi-regular commentator on The Daily Show. But under his watch the Tea Party was allowed to fester and grow, birtherism was founded, and he stunt casted the Vice President position with Sarah Palin. He's an opportunist who no longer has the capacity to play the game due to his brain turning to applesauce.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

The Lord of Hats posted:

. But that guy must have been hotboxing his own farts for,the past year or something.

/Pol in a sentence

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
It's impossible to take McCain serious after his comments on the filibuster and then his subsequent action that was the exact opposite of his comments

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Pellisworth posted:

idk but he just won re-election this year and is 80 years old

if he ran again it would be in 2022 and he would be 85-86

McCain's corpse will continue to run for office and win every time.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Isn't McCain not running for re-election, on account of the fact that he's old and done with this? Of course republicans say that kind of stuff a lot and don't mean it (I'm looking a you lil' marco).

His re-election is in 6 years and while he hasn't said this is his last term he's getting up there in age.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

No, they don't. There is no such thing as nonpartisanship with the right wing, and it's a foolish myth that the left wing needs to constantly prove how even-handed they are. Every nonpartisan act by the left wing plays into the right's hands as they work ever harder to dismantle our system of government and way of life.

Despite all the negative attention drawn by Trump and his supporters we still haven't had one inch of actual progress. Even the guy that physically attacked a reporter won his election and was praised by the right wing for using violence.

Nothing matters until the right begins paying an actual price for their acts. Not bad polling numbers, not negative comments from allies, not close but still victorious races. People have to lose their job, their office, their reputation. They have to lose political contests, not win them. They have to be drummed out of the government and out of society beyond the ability of any propaganda to support or rehabilitate them.

Mueller's investigation is massive progress, and the Senate's expressions of concern, bullshit though they may be, are signals to Trump that there are limits. If every Republican senator was just sticking to the Paul Ryan line of refusing to comment or making excuses, Trump would feel emboldened to fire Mueller too. Republicans are bad actors, and they won't go as far as you want, I want, or as far as the situation deserves, but they aren't doing nothing, and they aren't being 100% partisan on this investigation, with some obvious exceptions like Devin Nunes.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Evil Fluffy posted:

Now look at how many of those votes actually mattered.

"This person crosses the line and votes with the other party often" is meaningless when it's not actually changing the outcome of anything. All it does it give them a false air of bipartisanship and potentially make their reelection campaigns easier (see also: mcmagic's favorite dem senator).

Don't throw him a parade. He's still a republican and all republicans are monsters. He is far to the right of even the most rightward democrat. He's not a good man.

But there is a point it just comes off as whiney. Like you don't need to give him constant praise and suck his dick for agreeing with you sometimes on things rarely, but there is a line where throwing a fit every time he is on your/our side just seems dumb and counterproductive. Like singling out the republicans that you agree with sometimes to hate more than the republicans that you never agree with seems really dumb.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Fart City posted:

John McCain got by on his reputation as a "maverick" who would go after his own party if necessary for a long time. I mean, before his last presidential run he was a semi-regular commentator on The Daily Show. But under his watch the Tea Party was allowed to fester and grow, birtherism was founded, and he stunt casted the Vice President position with Sarah Palin. He's an opportunist who no longer has the capacity to play the game due to his brain turning to applesauce.

Fester? The bastard bought Palin into the world, he helped create it.

There's a political cartoon where the first three panels are "Obama is a mofo on ___________" and the 4th with the punchline "I didn't say Obama hosed his mom."

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Sinteres posted:

Mueller's investigation is massive progress, and the Senate's expressions of concern, bullshit though they may be, are signals to Trump that there are limits. If every Republican senator was just sticking to the Paul Ryan line of refusing to comment or making excuses, Trump would feel emboldened to fire Mueller too. Republicans are bad actors, and they won't go as far as you want, I want, or as far as the situation deserves, but they aren't doing nothing, and they aren't being 100% partisan on this investigation, with some obvious exceptions like Devin Nunes.

so what

you're responding to someone expressing that there are no consolation prizes by describing the consolation prizes

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Rep. Salwel has crazy person graphs on his .gov site :O

https://swalwell.house.gov/issues/russia-trump-his-administration-s-ties

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

PhazonLink posted:

Fester? The bastard bought Palin into the world, he helped create it.

There's a political cartoon where the first three panels are "Obama is a mofo on ___________" and the 4th with the punchline "I didn't say Obama hosed his mom."

actually its 6 panels

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
A happy reminder that we could've had Mindless McCain up until this past January. I'm sure 4-8 years' worth of presidency would've done wonders for his constitution and mental acuity.

We need a constitutional amendment capping the presidential age at 65. At least then the parties will have to prioritize candidates in their mid-50s at the oldest.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

skylined! posted:

so what

you're responding to someone expressing that there are no consolation prizes by describing the consolation prizes

Or responding to someone who thinks nothing matters by pointing out something that matters.

One other thing I forgot to mention is that if we take Comey's testimony as true, which we're obviously screaming at Republicans to do when it comes to Trump, Loretta Lynch's perceived soft pedaling of the investigation into Hillary set of a chain of events that led to her losing the election. If she did that, I think it's worth knowing. Our side doing stupid poo poo is a good reason to want to police behavior on our side, and a good reason for why Republicans should want to police theirs. Our side is the weaker side in American politics though, so we have to be more careful than they do.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

hanales posted:

Rep. Salwel has crazy person graphs on his .gov site :O

https://swalwell.house.gov/issues/russia-trump-his-administration-s-ties

at first glance none of that seems crazy. which is crazy.

Sinteres posted:

Or responding to someone who thinks nothing matters by pointing out something that matters.

that is not at all how i interpreted forums poster Dick Trauma's post as meaning

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Serfer posted:

https://youtu.be/JTqOqNqRyiI
Louie Gohmert calls for mass firings at the DOJ.

"We need to round up everybody [James Comey] talked to because they were all conspiring against the president and all conspiring against their oath of office, conspiring against their own employment agreement."

"We have a conspiracy remaining afoot in the Department of Justice that is going to be out to destroy this president and they’ve got to be fired, if not worse."

Ladies and gentlemen, we have here an excellent demonstration of a call for a compaction cycle coming as a direct result of narrative dysphoria.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

BIG HEADLINE posted:

A happy reminder that we could've had Mindless McCain up until this past January. I'm sure 4-8 years' worth of presidency would've done wonders for his constitution and mental acuity.

We need a constitutional amendment capping the presidential age at 65. At least then the parties will have to prioritize candidates in their mid-50s at the oldest.

This isn't reasonable for a constitutional amendment. 65 is an arbitrary age, and as medical advances continue, people will have greater function stretching into their later years.

Regular physical and psychological screening by an independent panel makes more sense.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

There Bias Two posted:

This isn't reasonable for a constitutional amendment. 65 is an arbitrary age, and as medical advances continue, people will have greater function stretching into their later years.

Regular physical and psychological screening by an independent panel makes more sense.

People should at least stop falling in love with ancient candidates. It blows my mind how many people want Bernie to run in 2020 even though he'll be 79 loving years old. Way to show a contrast with Demented Donald. Biden's obviously far too old as well.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
So what happens if the US needs to act on defensive agreements with a country if war breaks out and Trump is making GBS threads on the country at the same time?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

There Bias Two posted:

Arbitrary or not, I like the idea of a sitting president - fuckhead or not - having some skin in the game. Knowing they still have 20-40+ years to live and children under the age of 18 might make them slightly better stewards of the country and environment than a 70+ year old man who only knocked up his current wife if she legally promised to lose the baby weight.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

yes i just can't believe every president over the last several decades has been over the age of 65 when taking office

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

skylined! posted:

yes i just can't believe every president over the last several decades has been over the age of 65 when taking office

Two have, and three of the last five nominees were well over 65. Looks like Romney was just over 65 too, so four of the last five nominees were seniors.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jun 12, 2017

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I'd be okay with a law that said either the POTUS or the VP have to be under 65.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Sinteres posted:

Two have, and three of the last five nominees were well over 65.

yes friend. i am aware.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
I'd be okay with a law that said the POTUS had to be a dog.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

skylined! posted:

yes friend. i am aware.

As Americans are getting older, it makes sense that they're voting for older candidates, so it makes sense that it's becoming a more pressing issue now than it was in the past.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Arbitrary or not, I like the idea of a sitting president - fuckhead or not - having some skin in the game. Knowing they still have 20-40+ years to live and children under the age of 18 might make them slightly better stewards of the country and environment than a 70+ year old man who only knocked up his current wife if she legally promised to lose the baby weight.

And yet, Marco Rubio.

Age is not the issue. Death cult political ideologies are. Gut the right and cripple them eternally.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Fulchrum posted:

And yet, Marco Rubio.

Age is not the issue. Death cult political ideologies are. Gut the right and cripple them eternally.

Maybe there's more than one issue. The death cult political ideology one is worse, but creeping senility in our leaders isn't great either.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

I'd be okay with a law that said the POTUS had to be a dog.

"President Lassie is in hot water today after barking at the Prime Minister of Lesotho..."

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
How old was JFK? All Presidents should be around that age.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

LBJ wasn't

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Kennedy was 43 when taking office, Clinton was 46, Dubya was 54, Obama was 47.

Graph of Presidential ages when taking office:

Guess who the "70-74" is. :v: The mean age is now ~55.5y because of him.

Teddy Roosevelt was the other "40-44."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 12, 2017

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

The Great Mattering begins in 2018 but only if every single person who isn't a piss baby and able to vote gets off their lazy rear end. At the very least go vote straight D.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
maybe instead of making hard rules about dumb poo poo voters can take candidate age into consideration when it comes time to choose who they want to be represented by

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
The mandatory retirement age for presidents should be 65 - any president who teaches that age during their term should have to resign

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

We should go full Prez and make a teenager president.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Mustached Demon posted:

The Great Mattering begins in 2018 but only if every single person who isn't a piss baby and able to vote gets off their lazy rear end. At the very least go vote straight D.

What annoys the hell out of me is that is 6 months before I become a citizen. Earliest I can vote is 2020!

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

enraged_camel posted:

What annoys the hell out of me is that is 6 months before I become a citizen. Earliest I can vote is 2020!

Depending on your locale, there could be state/local elections in 2019. Those are super important too and the Good Guys seem to ignore them all too often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Mantis42 posted:

We should go full Prez and make a teenager president.

Not many people are going to get this reference, so:

• Locked thread