Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Runs like poo poo based on that video, not sure what you're trying to get at here? You'll get much better performance simply running one of the modern Atom mobile designs.

Seriously go check out one of those GPD Win devices, they work a whole lot better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

fishmech posted:

Runs like poo poo based on that video, not sure what you're trying to get at here? You'll get much better performance simply running one of the modern Atom mobile designs.

Seriously go check out one of those GPD Win devices, they work a whole lot better.

Spergmech strikes again.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

That's actually really impressive.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

dont be mean to me posted:

Why did you think inherently and incontrovertibly quantifiable phenomena would be exempt from 'lol nothing matters'?

In relevant news: Brazen intimidation over Microsoft's x86-on-ARM interpolation! Who else actually has anything vaguely resembling a commitment to x86 these days, Intel? Do you really want to tango with Microsoft over this?

At least now I can give those tinfoil conspiracy nuts that Apple will go "all ARM" one day. I'd be a total bloodbath with absolutely Zero compatibility layer. If intel can bite the hand that fed it the lion share of desktop sales, it can attack anyone.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

incoherent posted:

If intel can bite the hand that fed it the lion share of desktop sales, it can attack anyone.

I really want to see the outcome of Intel continuing to attack Microsoft.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

incoherent posted:

At least now I can give those tinfoil conspiracy nuts that Apple will go "all ARM" one day. I'd be a total bloodbath with absolutely Zero compatibility layer. If intel can bite the hand that fed it the lion share of desktop sales, it can attack anyone.

Also, intel might be developing a case of hubris???

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I've read some blahblah about how that Der8auer dude says that replacing the Skylake-X TIM with liquid metal gives a similar temperature drop as he got when removing the indium solder from a 5960X, so the TIM doesn't appear to me that bad and I guess it means they got the gap right (apparently).

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

Combat Pretzel posted:

I've read some blahblah about how that Der8auer dude says that replacing the Skylake-X TIM with liquid metal gives a similar temperature drop as he got when removing the indium solder from a 5960X, so the TIM doesn't appear to me that bad and I guess it means they got the gap right (apparently).

at this stage I would take anything that Der8auer says with a pinch of salt given how much stuff intel is chucking at him

eames
May 9, 2009

yeah he posted this on instagram

GN made a whole video on how their X299 coverage didn't get enough views :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep27BFa-QfQ

eames fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jun 11, 2017

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

That's a weird video.

eames
May 9, 2009

der8auer reports that the 7900X @ 5 Ghz pulled 350W which would explain the pretty toasty temps with an AIO.

edit: X299 motherboard CAD prices leaked. 200-500 USD. http://www.ncix.com/search/?qcatid=0&q=x299

eames fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jun 11, 2017

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Wish those placeholders had feature lists so I could know what the gently caress the top end is adding to be worth $600

edit: wifi, tb3, u.2, and a built in screen

Malloc Voidstar fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jun 12, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Malloc Voidstar posted:

Wish those placeholders had feature lists so I could know what the gently caress the top end is adding to be worth $600

Maybe the top end comes with the ~RAID KEY~.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
To be fair to those prices while I was shopping for X99 boards before I settled on one for just under 200 there were X99 options for 500 too. If people want to give them extra money they need to figure out how to let them even if all it means some black plastic and a silk screen.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
make your own screen with an arduino

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

eames posted:

yeah he posted this on instagram

How seriously should I take this?

It looks like most of the chips are actually going quite a bit farther than the first one he delidded. Like the one on the very top right is labeled '5525', if that's a golden sample then he got a lovely chip the first pick.

edit: maybe those are LN2 clocks? But that does look like thermal paste on top, which you probably wouldn't use with a LN2 pot?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jun 12, 2017

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

pcgamesn.com posted:

Gregory Bryant, Intel's head of PC gubbins, said the first Core i7 X-series chips and the 10-core Core i9 will be available next week, with pre-orders for the 'mega-tasking' (bleurgh) 12-, 14-, 16- and 18-core processors also kicking off at the same time.

While the more mainstream, though still pricey, CPUs will be on sale in June, the big chips will be hitting the retailers from August through to October this year. You know, should you want to drop $2,000 on a CPU.

I found AMDs 1 week of pre-orders for Ryzena bit on the nose. Really not sure how I feel about pre-orders starting next week for a CPU you won't get until sometime in October... holy poo poo.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Measly Twerp posted:

I found AMDs 1 week of pre-orders for Ryzena bit on the nose. Really not sure how I feel about pre-orders starting next week for a CPU you won't get until sometime in October... holy poo poo.

Skylake-X is shipping on June 19 though, woot. And I assume NDA will lift sometime before that? So it really won't be long until we get real answers on overclockability.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
So we know for sure that Coffee Lake won't run on Z170/Z270... but do we know the inverse? i.e. will Skylake and Kaby Lake run on Z370, or is Z370 restricted to literally only Coffee Lake?

Not that it's not going to be an upgrade for the consumer platform... but is there any reason for high-end users to wait for Coffee Lake when 6-core/8-core Skylake-X is just around the corner?

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I thought the nda was ment to havw lifted by now?

eames
May 9, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

How seriously should I take this?

It looks like most of the chips are actually going quite a bit farther than the first one he delidded. Like the one on the very top right is labeled '5525', if that's a golden sample then he got a lovely chip the first pick.

edit: maybe those are LN2 clocks? But that does look like thermal paste on top, which you probably wouldn't use with a LN2 pot?

Yeah most likely LN2 or single core clocks. He mentioned in other videos that he had access to SL-X six months before the announcement and that the sample presented is one of the best, so not necessarily representative. 4.7-4.8 with an AIO is more realistic. It also hits a wall around 1.3V Vcore even under LN2 unlike Kaby Lake which handles up to 2.2V.

PS: They do use thermal paste with LN2. Gamer's Nexus recently uploaded a LN2 with him.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

eames posted:

Yeah most likely LN2 or single core clocks. He mentioned in other videos that he had access to SL-X six months before the announcement and that the sample presented is one of the best, so not necessarily representative. 4.7-4.8 with an AIO is more realistic. It also hits a wall around 1.3V Vcore even under LN2 unlike Kaby Lake which handles up to 2.2V.

PS: They do use thermal paste with LN2. Gamer's Nexus recently uploaded a LN2 with him.

Broadwell-E hit 5.7 GHz on LN2 though, so 5.5 GHz doesn't sound very good to me.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So when sre we going to see reviews come out? I remember seeing somewhere that the 12th was ment to be the end of the nda?

Also I'm really torn between intel and amd, im ether going to go with intels 10 core offering or a 16c threadripper

i really really hate the x299 eco system and how intel has taken stuff away from people re pcie lanes etc but if that 10core can get overclocked to 4.5ghz all cores or higher with water it would be so hard to say no to such performance:(

eames
May 9, 2009

Rumors are that the NDA lifts on Friday.

I'm also interested in X299 because a 6 or 8 core clocking to 5 Ghz would be all the CPU I need at the moment, assuming KVM GPU passthrough actually works.
Threadripper singlethread performance should be roughly identical to the 1700X/1800X and while they're nice I'm not sure it's enough for a 165 Hz screen. Muh frames. :pcgaming:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Scarecow posted:

So when sre we going to see reviews come out? I remember seeing somewhere that the 12th was ment to be the end of the nda?

Also I'm really torn between intel and amd, im ether going to go with intels 10 core offering or a 16c threadripper

i really really hate the x299 eco system and how intel has taken stuff away from people re pcie lanes etc but if that 10core can get overclocked to 4.5ghz all cores or higher with water it would be so hard to say no to such performance:(

What are you doing to regularly hit that many cores? I have a really hard time justifying more than a 6-8c machine personally. Even video encoding can fall off across 10+ cores.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gwaihir posted:

What are you doing to regularly hit that many cores? I have a really hard time justifying more than a 6-8c machine personally. Even video encoding can fall off across 10+ cores.

Probably browsing the internet.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

PerrineClostermann posted:

It's the type of power you need if you're gonna browse with Chrome and like 40 tabs open. And 64GB of RAM. Fuckin' memory leaks.

(in all seriousness I'd love if FF would just fuckin' eat some more RAM already and not crash regularly every time I have more than a dozen or so tabs running for a few days)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

DrDork posted:

It's the type of power you need if you're gonna browse with Chrome and like 40 tabs open. And 64GB of RAM. Fuckin' memory leaks.

(in all seriousness I'd love if FF would just fuckin' eat some more RAM already and not crash regularly every time I have more than a dozen or so tabs running for a few days)

Just checking but, you did make sure to upgrade to the 64 bit version of Firefox when it became the mainstream release a while back right?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

fishmech posted:

Just checking but, you did make sure to upgrade to the 64 bit version of Firefox when it became the mainstream release a while back right?

Yeah, it just seems to have problems freeing memory or somesuch after a while. I'll have 20 pages of basically static content open for a few days with no changes, and randomly it'll crash on me due to running out of memory (on a 16GB system + pagefile). It's just a minor annoyance though, so whatever.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Ostensibly there's some benchmarks of the Threadripper 1950X out (3.4GHz). Linear scaling based on clockrate should be 30,7% compared to the 2.6GHz of the 16C/32T Xeon used as reference. On single-threaded, the TR only around 8-17% faster than the 30% slower clocked Xeon. In multi-threaded, the Xeon wipes the floor with the TR. The gently caress knows how turboing influences it all.

Wccftech, so salt etc.

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-threadripper-1950x-specs-performance-leak/

So yeah, still 7820X for me it is for now.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jun 13, 2017

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Combat Pretzel posted:

Ostensibly there's some benchmarks of the Threadripper 1950X out (3.4GHz). Linear scaling based on clockrate should be 30,7% compared to the 2.6GHz of the 16C/32T Xeon used as reference. On single-threaded, the TR only around 8-17% faster than the 30% slower clocked Xeon. In multi-threaded, the Xeon wipes the floor with the TR. The gently caress knows how turboing influences it all.

Wccftech, so salt etc.

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-threadripper-1950x-specs-performance-leak/

So yeah, still 7820X for me it is for now.

Very likely a fake since a R7-1700X will hit around the same score at 3.4GHz.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Or bad BIOS or microcode or OS that's not able to use the platform effectively, for all we know not all cores are being used correctly.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Im doing a full retard build (never done one and im going all out with sli 1080tis full custom water loop with 2 res and 4 radiators hard line tubing etc)

Yes i know its loving stupid but ive always wanted to do one so thats why i want to do a 10core intel or a 16core threadripper

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Scarecow posted:

Im doing a full retard build (never done one and im going all out with sli 1080tis full custom water loop with 2 res and 4 radiators hard line tubing etc)

Yes i know its loving stupid but ive always wanted to do one so thats why i want to do a 10core intel or a 16core threadripper

hi jayz

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Scarecow posted:

I didn't mean it sarcastically, if that's how it was interpreted. Browsing the net can sap a lot of resources and multitasking is pretty important.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

I didn't mean it sarcastically, if that's how it was interpreted. Browsing the net can sap a lot of resources and multitasking is pretty important.

Yeah i figured :) and i do run 2 27inch 1440p monitors in portrait mode with a x34 in the middle while gaming i have a million crome pages open, discord, mumble and ether netflix or something else running so i figure having cores spare to dump that stuff on while 4-6 cores are being used purely for the game cant be a bad thing

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
The 10 core skylake-x is going to come up a lot because of PCIe lanes and I really don't think it's positioned very well. Or it's positioned particularly spitefully. The niche of people who would be better served by the 7900x than the 16 core threadripper will probably be pretty small since you're already deep into the realm of heavily threaded workloads. Except I might be stuck firmly inside that niche myself because I want to game in a Windows VM while giving enough resources to both the host and guest.

Though realistically a 12c threadripper - especially if it had higher base clocks and more consistent overclocks from disabling marginal cores - would probably be a better choice, 16 cores just sounds so appealing.

e: What do you need two reservoirs for?

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Desuwa posted:

The 10 core skylake-x is going to come up a lot because of PCIe lanes and I really don't think it's positioned very well. Or it's positioned particularly spitefully. The niche of people who would be better served by the 7900x than the 16 core threadripper will probably be pretty small since you're already deep into the realm of heavily threaded workloads. Except I might be stuck firmly inside that niche myself because I want to game in a Windows VM while giving enough resources to both the host and guest.

Though realistically a 12c threadripper - especially if it had higher base clocks and more consistent overclocks from disabling marginal cores - would probably be a better choice, 16 cores just sounds so appealing.

e: What do you need two reservoirs for?

I have a sma8 so its a rather large case

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Scarecow posted:

Yo, it's not "loving stupid." Go for it. I'm going to do a similar thing, because like you, I've always wanted to put together something high-end like this too.

People buy things or build things that are overkill or impractical in all sorts of fields/interests/hobbies, and they do it for all sorts of reasons and no one (rightly) gives gently caress about ROI, but god forbid you spend $200 more than you need to on a cpu because what are you ever gonna use those two extra cores for??!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

Yo, it's not "loving stupid." Go for it. I'm going to do a similar thing, because like you, I've always wanted to put together something high-end like this too.

People buy things or build things that are overkill or impractical in all sorts of fields/interests/hobbies, and they do it for all sorts of reasons and no one (rightly) gives gently caress about ROI, but god forbid you spend $200 more than you need to on a cpu because what are you ever gonna use those two extra cores for??!!

This is why water cooling custom loops exist. And Gucci ARs. And luxury cars.

One day, I'll do the same