Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

He is like number three for voting against the party line. He's still a republican but few republicans break with the party more than he does

That's not true. Only Cruz has voted for Trump's stuff at a higher clip than McCain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/873626394886115328

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Just returned from a backpacking trip in the Gunnison National Forest to find out Trump wants to strip more of it at the behest of a dying coal company. Can I reiterate how much I loving despise this administration?

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
"The British election is a reminder of the perils of too much democracy," such as the awful party resting on their laurels getting smashed while playing for a super majority.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Delaware just became the first state to enshrine abortion as a fundamental constitutional right.

No immediate effects. But if Roe v. Wade is ever overturned, then it will have no impact on Delaware unless Congress votes to ban abortion at the federal level.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Well well well look who wants to climb on board the sinking ship.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/874020406159712256

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Mustached Demon posted:

The Great Mattering begins in 2018 but only if every single person who isn't a piss baby and able to vote gets off their lazy rear end. At the very least go vote straight D.

Good news! At least here in Texas they're working to get rid of straight ticket voting like that.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
So what are we supposed to do now, burn all the flags with 50 stars?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Has this been posted already?

https://twitter.com/sam_kriss/status/874019528925171712

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Jealous Cow posted:

I bet Trump will refuse to accept it.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

It deserved a second posting.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Jealous Cow posted:

:cripes: why would they do that.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Discendo Vox posted:

More access to federal money, and I believe the ability to actually declare bankruptcy.

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

Cuz they're like 50 gazillion dollars in debt and statehood would help dig them out of the hole.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Deceptive Thinker posted:

The mandatory retirement age for presidents should be 65 - any president who teaches that age during their term should have to resign

You do get this would have left us with president Ted Cruz?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

I'd be okay with a law that said the POTUS had to be a dog.

The amendment has to allow room for a supreme court justice to affirm that there is no rule that a dog can't be president. Anything else ruins the fun imo.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Cheekio posted:

So what are we supposed to do now, burn all the flags with 50 stars?

Kick out a red state.

Fulchrum posted:

Being a human and having a soul should also be a requirement.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Pollyanna posted:

Republicans will because its "democrats win forever" if they get voting rights.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Republicans will because its "democrats win forever" if they get voting rights.

Hopefully Trump goes public in support of it before they explain that to him.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Fulchrum posted:

I think MOM would have beaten Ted

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
PR has voted for statehood before. Congress never admits them.

It's a non-binding resolution, a bunch of major parties boycotted the election, and PR is swimming it debt + Republican congress. It won't happen.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Puerto Rico wouldn't be enough house seats to flip it. 2018 is still going to be a real roughshod election year.

That said, if we get a D swing like 2010 again then the democrats should give statehood to every minor island and principality. Hell, break California into three states.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Problematic Pigeon posted:

Cuz they're like 50 gazillion dollars in debt and statehood would help dig them out of the hole.

As far as I could tell from the last time I looked at the financial requirements involved, it would actually screw them over worse in terms of support and governance obligations. Even if it would let them declare bankruptcy (a nightmare scenario), it'd be a temporary benefit that would create infinitely worse financia-

oh, right, this is Puerto Rico. This is basically their M. O.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

remusclaw posted:

Hopefully Trump goes public in support of it before they explain that to him.

You just need to convince Trump that PR wants on board because he's the president now.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Pollyanna posted:

His base would hate it. To then, brown Spanish speaking people are dirty Mexicans and therefore not legal build the wall maga

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
My understanding is that PR votes in it for real in October and then it would be up to Congress, correct? One house or two?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Cheekio posted:

It deserved a second posting.

The part at the end threw me off a bit, though. Initially I thought they were trying to get rid of him cause they thought he was some loser nerd and not a true believer, but then the one guy shouts "get that nazi poo poo out of here!". So they're actually somewhat, sorta, kinda not totally horrible people?

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

As far as I could tell from the last time I looked at the financial requirements involved, it would actually screw them over worse in terms of support and governance obligations. Even if it would let them declare bankruptcy (a nightmare scenario), it'd be a temporary benefit that would create infinitely worse financia-

oh, right, this is Puerto Rico. This is basically their M. O.

Everything I've seen shows they still be screwed, just less so with statehood. It would have benefited them more if they became a state like 20 years ago, but that ship has sailed.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

I thought Puerto Rico does a vote like... every year to say "WE WANT STATEHOOD!" Is this something particularly new or different, other than the fact that they're more in debt than last time?

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Mr Interweb posted:

The part at the end threw me off a bit, though. Initially I thought they were trying to get rid of him cause they thought he was some loser nerd and not a true believer, but then the one guy shouts "get that nazi poo poo out of here!". So they're actually somewhat, sorta, kinda not totally horrible people?

Maybe they're just shitheads who also think nazis are bad.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Yeah I think they had a similar referendum in 2012 or 2014. It means nothing, as long as Congress is controlled by Republicans it's not going to happen.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mr Interweb posted:

I think it's more that the non-meme nazis really fail to see themselves as nazis. The pepe guys will wear nazi regalia because "kek", but the mainstream/confederate/MAGA people will point at swastikas with that body snatchers shriek just like anyone else. They simply won't accept it if you try to explain that they, too, are nazis.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Apparently Comey wasn't the only fired official Trump made uncomfortable.

quote:

Preet Bharara, a prominent former U.S. attorney ousted by President Trump, said Sunday that he reported to the Justice Department efforts by the president to “cultivate some kind of relationship” with him, describing phone calls from Trump that made him increasingly uncomfortable.

In his first sit-down interview since his March removal, Bharara said he reported one of the phone calls to the chief of staff for Attorney General Jeff Sessions because it made him uneasy. He said he was dismissed from the important prosecutor’s job in Manhattan only 22 hours after he finally refused to take a call from the president.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

PhazonLink posted:

Kick out a red state.

Or just merge the Dakotas together.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Mr Interweb posted:

https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/extremist-files/group/oath-keepers

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Our flag is going to look like poo poo with 51 stars.

It already looks like rear end with 50. 48 stars forever.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

SgtScruffy posted:

I thought Puerto Rico does a vote like... every year to say "WE WANT STATEHOOD!" Is this something particularly new or different, other than the fact that they're more in debt than last time?

They've voted on this issue quite a few times but if I remember right they are usually pretty split between the people who want statehood, the people who want to remain a territory and the people who want independence.

Does anyone know if this is the first time they've had an "overwhelming majority" in favor of statehood? I use the quotes cause apparently less than a 1/3rd of the populace voted but I suppose it still counts as a majority.

I can see Trump being for it just because how often would someone get a chance to approve a new state? It's been a while. I doubt he'd put any more thought into it than that.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Data Graham posted:

I think it's more that the non-meme nazis really fail to see themselves as nazis. The pepe guys will wear nazi regalia because "kek", but the mainstream/confederate/MAGA people will point at swastikas with that body snatchers shriek just like anyone else. They simply won't accept it if you try to explain that they, too, are nazis.

Yeah, my impression was that they either think he's mocking them with poo poo they're accused of, or that they'll be associated with the symbols he's ironically representing, which they actually represent but would prefer not to visually embrace.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Krispy Kareem posted:

Add Puerto Rico and merge North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming, and Montana together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Krispy Kareem posted:

I dunno, I like this one.

• Locked thread