Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Is there an audiobook version of Mulholland Drive? If so, go with that. Fun for the whole family. :devil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Grabbed Drew Hayes' book "NPCs".
Wonderful narrator, fun exposition and likeable characters so far, though you can see the first "twist" (which character is which class) coming almost immediately.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Anyone got any good horror/spooky/thriller style books? They don't have to be straight up ghost/demons/clowns but I'm looking for something new to listen to at work.

Things I've gone through lately and enjoyed:
14/The Fold
It
Southern Gods
Head full of Ghosts/Disappearance at Devils Rock
Horrorstor
John Dies at the End

Ideally I'm looking for cosmic horror but finding good books with that label is pretty hit or miss

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
That Which Should Not Be has an auidobook version, really enjoyed the ebook. One of the recently released cosmic horror books that is good.

KingShiro fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jun 5, 2017

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Thanks everyone! Those all look like great suggestions.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

Mister Facetious posted:

Grabbed Drew Hayes' book "NPCs".
Wonderful narrator, fun exposition and likeable characters so far, though you can see the first "twist" (which character is which class) coming almost immediately.

Just started NPCs too and it's OK so far. A bit too much of a parody to my liking. Like the first Discworld novels but not as good. The twist wasn't really a twist it's the premise of the book but good thing it happened right away. The main cast of characters seem genuinely enjoyable people and it's nice to "read" about good guys for a change.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Len posted:

Anyone got any good horror/spooky/thriller style books? They don't have to be straight up ghost/demons/clowns but I'm looking for something new to listen to at work.

14/The Fold
It
Southern Gods
Horrorstor
John Dies at the End

Ideally I'm looking for cosmic horror but finding good books with that label is pretty hit or miss

Bird Box

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Len posted:

14/The Fold
It
Southern Gods
Horrorstor
John Dies at the End

Library At Mount Char.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Seconded, as a person who generally avoids horror.

Oh I came here to complain about Wil Wheaton never changing the way he reads ever so that keeping track of characters is a chore with him. I somehow managed to enjoy Redshirts despite that so I hope for the same with Collapsing Empire.

Kraps fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 6, 2017

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

Kraps posted:

Oh I came here to complain about Wil Wheaton never changing the way he reads ever so that keeping track of characters is a chore with him. I somehow managed to enjoy Redshirts despite that so I hope for the same with Collapsing Empire.

Please tell me how it goes because I had the same problem yet all the reviews gushed over how good of a narrator he was.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

coyo7e posted:

Library At Mount Char.

Library At Mount Char isn't quite a horror book, but it's really good.

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
It's pretty much the same deal with collapsing empire. Also the book itself was a bit of let down as it presents itself as this massive space empire with machinations, conspiracies and a huge revelation but its all so paper thin. Everything is so unnecessarily convoluted so the whole time I kept getting pulled out of the story thinking why would anyone make these decisions.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Kestral posted:

Library At Mount Char isn't quite a horror book, but it's really good.
He asked for horror/spooky/thriller, and mentioned "cosmic", and I feel that it's a perfect fit.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I enter data at a computer for 8 hours a day I'll listen to anything. Disappearance at Devil's Rock and Head full of Ghosts weren't really horror or cosmic but I thought they were pretty okay

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

coyo7e posted:

He asked for horror/spooky/thriller, and mentioned "cosmic", and I feel that it's a perfect fit.
I noticed today that Metro 2033 has an english audio version out now. That is a very good sci-fi/horror/thriller imho.

It's sort of a hero quest/thriller about a Russian boy named Artyom who uhh, has to leave his settlement and go look for something to save his people or escape bad guys or something, it's been a long time. Thre's crazies, mutant animals, crazed communists and fascists, and some weird supernatural poo poo going on as well. It's set in the subway stations below moscow, generations after nuclear holocaust, except that there's a hell of a lot weirder poo poo going on that rad roaches and stuff. There's an ok videogame based on the novels as well, and I'd like to get my hands on a legible sequel, and looking on amazon it appears that 2034 and 2035 have been translated to english since I read 2033... When I got it, it was only easily available in kindle and the OCR and text recognition was really abysmal although someone edited it for cleanliness in the years since I read it.

I enjoyed Metro2033 the novel because I learned a hell of a lot of Russian subway systems, and now I have a stronger understanding of their naming schemes for people and places.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Len posted:

It's been like 20 years since I read it, but I remember being extremely fond of Agatha Christie's Endless Night.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
I wanted to buy Kingkiller Chronicles just now and saw that there are 2 versions with different narrators. One read by Rupert Degas and one by Nick Podehl.
Is there a consensus on which one is better?

tim0mit
Dec 28, 2008
Not sure but the books themselves are crap.

Nuurd
Apr 21, 2005

Eezee posted:

I wanted to buy Kingkiller Chronicles just now and saw that there are 2 versions with different narrators. One read by Rupert Degas and one by Nick Podehl.

I've listened to Podehl and thought the narration was good. Haven't heard the other.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Eezee posted:

I've got the Podehl version and he was fine, iirc. Doesn't audible have a sample option?

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

There are samples, but the Degas one sounds like it was recorded in pretty bad quality. No idea if the whole book is like that.

And Podehl sounds less professional and his accents seem a bit over the top from the short sample, but he is a lot more enthusiastic.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Eezee posted:

There are samples, but the Degas one sounds like it was recorded in pretty bad quality. No idea if the whole book is like that.

And Podehl sounds less professional and his accents seem a bit over the top from the short sample, but he is a lot more enthusiastic.
Dude, you're talking about The Kingkiller Chronicles, which is about the most purple, overdone and overlauded prose, about the most obnoxious marty Stu, who does nothing but bitch about how poor he is, how much more awesome he is than everyone else, and how an attractive woman is like a deer. Also they're all whores if you don't keep an eye on them.. Don't overthink it.

It's not a good book. At best, stop after the first one.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jun 12, 2017

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

According to my research,
these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

Any good books set in the Roman Empire? I'm a huge fan of I, Claudius, and I've enjoyed Ruth Downie's Medicus series and Lindsay Davis' Marcus Didius Falco books. Just finished Mary Beard's SPQR, and enjoyed it, but I'm looking more for a narrative than a straight-up history. One problem I've come across with historical fiction set in Rome (specifically in Maddox's King's Gambit and Saylor's Roman Blood) is a tendency for authors to insert trivia about Roman history into cringeworthy dialogue exchanges, like:

"Ave, friend Cassius! I was just going to the baths, where I shall be doused in oil, which will then be scraped from my skin using an instrument called a strigil. Care to join me?"

"Alas, friend Drusus, I cannot. My cousin has been accused of parricide! If he is judged guilty by a jury of fifty of our fellow Romans, he shall be sewn into a sack with a viper, a dog, a monkey, and a cock!"

"Yes, being a Roman, I know the punishment well. In that case, I shall be off to the baths for oiling, some calisthenics, and perhaps some casual homosexual intercourse, which carries no social stigma as long as I am not the passive partner. Bonam Fortunam to your cousin!"

...So if that sort of thing could be avoided, I'd appreciate it.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Colleen McCullough's Rome series is great, though I've only read the physical copies so not sure how good the audio versions are.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
I quite liked Conn Iggulden's Emperor series. Set during the fall of the Roman Empire and following the life of Julius Caesar. Not set in Rome but his mongol books are also great.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

coyo7e posted:

Dude, you're talking about The Kingkiller Chronicles, which is about the most purple, overdone and overlauded prose, about the most obnoxious marty Stu, who does nothing but bitch about how poor he is, how much more awesome he is than everyone else, and how an attractive woman is like a deer. Also they're all whores if you don't keep an eye on them.. Don't overthink it.

It's not a good book. At best, stop after the first one.

In that case I might skip it all together. A friend recommended it, so I thought I'd give it a try.

Is the Dark Tower series worth listening to?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
The first three or four I rather liked, but that was 20+ years ago that I read them. The rest I hated, but I won't go into why because you'd probably think it's a running thing with me lol

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

coyo7e posted:

The first three or four I rather liked, but that was 20+ years ago that I read them. The rest I hated, but I won't go into why because you'd probably think it's a running thing with me lol

I tried to read it several times and couldn't make it 100 pages into book one. I tried again and it finally clicked for me, and I'm in the middle of book three. I kinda wanted to read it before the movie comes out.

I've never been a fan of Stephen King audiobooks only because something about his writing style kind of grates on me when it's read out loud, but YMMV.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
There was that point when King got hit by a minivan and for me, his writing quality went way downhill.. There were no legions of robotic Dr doom robots until he'd gone pretty far off the rails to me. I was over world as myth when I was a kid, and the cast of the gunslinger stayed the same but seemed stupider and stupider. Did the paraplegic woman ever get magic mechanical legs or a jetpack or something?

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

I'll just get the first one and see if I like it. It's only 7 hours long apparently, so not a huge investment.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
I liked Podehl in KKC. He kind of sounds like a snooty rear end in a top hat so he fits the character!

Edit: Well that's what you get for not reloading the page. Still the point stands.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Are there any history must-haves in the Great Courses sale? I have Daily Life in the Ancient World, The Vikings, History of Explanation, Alexander the Great, Food: A Cultural History, and TheGilded Age. Robert Garland and Ken Albala are fantastic but I've found the other lecturers to be hit-or-miss so far.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I recommend pretty much anything by Kenneth W. Harl, Rufus J. Fears, Garrett G. Fagan, Bob Brier, and Grant Hardy.

Haven't expanded to other subjects yet; been listening to fiction again.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
The Science of Energy: Resources and Power Explained is quite good. As is Argumentation: The Study of Effective Reasoning.

I haven't gotten into the history courses yet, although Ghenghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World is good.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

coyo7e posted:

There was that point when King got hit by a minivan and for me, his writing quality went way downhill.. There were no legions of robotic Dr doom robots until he'd gone pretty far off the rails to me. I was over world as myth when I was a kid, and the cast of the gunslinger stayed the same but seemed stupider and stupider. Did the paraplegic woman ever get magic mechanical legs or a jetpack or something?

She got like a quad or motorbike type vehicle at one point

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Fried Watermelon posted:

She got like a quad or motorbike type vehicle at one point
I rest my case. :dawkins101:

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

budgieinspector posted:

Any good books set in the Roman Empire?

Maybe try Robert Harris' Imperium trilogy? It's a fictionalized, Cicero-based telling of the events leading up to Caesar's dictatorship.

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

According to my research,
these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Are there any history must-haves in the Great Courses sale? I have Daily Life in the Ancient World, The Vikings, History of Explanation, Alexander the Great, Food: A Cultural History, and TheGilded Age. Robert Garland and Ken Albala are fantastic but I've found the other lecturers to be hit-or-miss so far.

I liked most of Great Mythologies of the World (although the guy who did Asian mythology bored me shitless), The Fall and Rise of China was pretty good, and The African Experience: From "Lucy" to Mandela was a good overview (although given the timespan covered, it doesn't linger too long on any one topic). Daily Life in the Ancient World is the poo poo, though.

Mister Facetious posted:

I recommend pretty much anything by Kenneth W. Harl, Rufus J. Fears, Garrett G. Fagan, Bob Brier, and Grant Hardy.

To me, Harl comes off like a cranky old bastard, and Fears just sounds like he wants you and the other kids to gather 'round in a circle while he spins a yarn. I like Fagan in general, but he tends to stutter.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

budgieinspector posted:

Fears just sounds like he wants you and the other kids to gather 'round in a circle while he spins a yarn

That's why I love him so much... :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Thanks, guys. I picked up another Harl one - Steppe Nomadic Empires - even though sometimes he sounds like he's reading a phone book. Also one on the Black Plague.