Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Kosumo posted:

Third from the left at the back - what are the odds we will one day see that face on the nightly news?

That guy was definitely in Hellraiser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

DarkRefreshment posted:

"Hey baby, I got a picture of my Idris here in my wallet."

*looks at her friend*

"It's multi-crew if you know what I'm saying"

Dickwulf account spotted.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Amazing Zimmo posted:

Don't tar all modders with the CIG brush, they can do amazing work sometimes. Hell team fortress was my favorite mod for quake, they then went on to do TFC for half-life and now we have hat simulator :)

Oh I'm not. Modding is very cool, and people have done amazing things.

Honestly what CIG made with their Star Citizen tech demo is really fantastic work for modders. But there comes a point where your modding is too janky and slow and you need to do some legitimate programming.

Right now I'm pretty sure this is where CIG is. Stuck between being able to swiftly mod something in for a presentation, and the more labor and less fast task of actually programming the mods into the engine itself.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

The Titanic posted:

Oh I'm not. Modding is very cool, and people have done amazing things.

Honestly what CIG made with their Star Citizen tech demo is really fantastic work for modders. But there comes a point where your modding is too janky and slow and you need to do some legitimate programming.

Right now I'm pretty sure this is where CIG is. Stuck between being able to swiftly mod something in for a presentation, and the more labor and less fast task of actually programming the mods into the engine itself.

:v:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Scruffpuff posted:

There is absolutely nothing in Star Citizen that indicates that any of it was thought out on any level whatsoever - just the idea that if you create a big enough JPEG, then somehow capital ship bridge gameplay would just emerge from it organically. And now a game comes out of literally nowhere and flawlessly translates the events you've seen hundreds of times on the bridge of the Enterprise into a multiplayer coop experience.

This is precisely what Chris Roberts believes in.

He builds systems, and from these systems, gameplay magically emerges.

He believes these systems can be modular as well, and built by different groups, and plug in together to work.

So group A is working on cargo loading via that highly detailed animation system, and group B is working on scanning via the golf swing mechanic. When you compile these together, you can scan a ship and get its currently loaded cargo manifest.

If you're having a hard time figuring out how that's supposed to actually work, welcome to game development by CIG. :3:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/TheHadnot/status/874022986042552320

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

AP posted:

https://twitter.com/SC_Facts/status/873494929925971968

Imaginary thing is now longer, thrilling to imagine.

I hope they do one better :

Interesting Star Citizen fact:

Squadron 42 is the primary game Chris Roberts focuses on, including tons of motion capture and actors. Star Citizen will only be funded further if Squadron 42 is a critically acclaimed success!

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

He dresses as well as he draws traces.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Amazing Zimmo posted:

https://twitter.com/RooSmash_/status/873761655519191040

I'm gonna party like it's 2099 and 4.0 was just delayed another week

Natural selection for strength and general survivability in the wild is no longer a factor in the human genome. I wonder what factors allow this group to survive and thrive...

DarkRefreshment
May 5, 2015

Nothing is funnier than a dog in a formal outfit. Look it up on the internets.

The Titanic posted:

I hope they do one better :

Interesting Star Citizen fact:

Squadron 42 is the primary game Chris Roberts focuses on, including tons of motion capture and actors. Star Citizen will only be funded further if Squadron 42 is a critically acclaimed success!

This is really the most hilarious scenario. S42 comes out: that's immediately funny because, well, it's a 20 hour fmv with like 2 hours of terrible no clip. Many dancing cat videos follow.

Then three months later after it flops CR sends out the email saying funding just isn't there to finish SC but it was a good run. Thanks for the donations to make S42 a reality. Then some hand waving in to immediate silence. Then everyone playing it off on Reddit like it was no big deal and they knew it could fail but at least they got their participation trophy.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

DarkRefreshment posted:

This is really the most hilarious scenario. S42 comes out: that's immediately funny because, well, it's a 20 hour fmv with like 2 hours of terrible no clip. Many dancing cat videos follow.

Then three months later after it flops CR sends out the email saying funding just isn't there to finish SC but it was a good run. Thanks for the donations to make S42 a reality. Then some hand waving in to immediate silence. Then everyone playing it off on Reddit like it was no big deal and they knew it could fail but at least they got their participation trophy.

This is the part that makes me really sad. As gullible as the citizens are, I think that they will eventually come to a point where pledging will no longer makes sense. As soon as the cash reserves run dry and the paychecks bounce, everything goes into lockdown mode. Chris Robberts' Magnum Dope-us will be locked away on a hard drive to never see the light of day.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbE8BnO6oug

✓ multicrew
✓ ship customization
✓ boarding
✓ salvage
✓ exploration
✓ actually exists

star citizen wins again 🤔

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

hot balls man no homo posted:

This is the part that makes me really sad. As gullible as the citizens are, I think that they will eventually come to a point where pledging will no longer makes sense. As soon as the cash reserves run dry and the paychecks bounce, everything goes into lockdown mode. Chris Robberts' Magnum Dope-us will be locked away on a hard drive to never see the light of day.

Until an 80 year old man requiring 2 fork lifts operating in tandem to move around , discovers it hidden deep away inside a landfill

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

No Mods No Masters posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbE8BnO6oug

✓ multicrew
✓ ship customization
✓ boarding
✓ salvage
✓ exploration
✓ actually exists

star citizen wins again 🤔

How dare rareware steal the technology of grabby hands, from the visionary croberts

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Sappo569 posted:

Until an 80 year old man requiring 2 fork lifts operating in tandem to move around , discovers it hidden deep away inside a landfill

I was sort of thinking along these same lines. During the end of days a few employees basically steal everything not nailed down and someone copies the source code and 80TB of assets and just dumps it on the interwebz.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Please stop doxxing me

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

hot balls man no homo posted:

As soon as the cash reserves run dry and the paychecks bounce, everything goes into lockdown mode. Chris Robberts' Magnum Dope-us will be locked away on a hard drive to never see the light of day.
I still think that's going to be at the very end of a long, slow death: if they're very lucky, they'll manage to get a MVP of Squadron 42 out the door while the money's still coming in, some kind of "part 1" with the promise that the rest of it will be out when it's ready. Then they'll make sad noises about how it's not selling as well as they had hoped, and how they're working around the clock to get it patched into something more presentable. Some crash bugs will get fixed. Sales won't pick up. Future chapters will never arrive.

Meanwhile, they'll keep up the pretense that they're working on Star Citizen and are making progress with it, even while they're purging "non-essential" studios and employees to keep their burn rate below whatever they're still able to squeeze out of their whales. They'll still be making big promises about what big features are just around the corner, but not as often; maybe it'll eventually just be Chris and a small "core team" left, spending most of their time rearranging the deck chairs, commissioning concept art/ship assets from the cheapest offshore developers-from-hire they can find so they'll still have something to sell to their few remaining backers, and trying to package up whatever they've managed to put together in case any developer too rich and too dumb to know better might be interested in buying them out. I doubt that even a MVP version will ever get within two weeks of release; it'll still be a couple of janky, ill-conceived, and entirely separate modules up until the day that they shut down for good.

Epilogue: some number of years after CIG is dead and gone, Squadron 42: Part 1 will end up in a "studio-killer" bundle alongside Duke Nukem Forever and, I dunno, some indie kickstarter boondoggles or one-hit wonders, and we'll get to read funny reviews from people who missed all the drama when it was happening. They'll say things like "You can see what they were trying to do" and "This bit is so bad that it flips all the way around and becomes fun and charming" and "Whoever designed this definitely never tried to play it." Old whales will step forward and speak wistfully about how Derek Smart and an army of internet trolls killed the game before it could get good, and if they're asked how much money they gave Chris Roberts, they'll either ignore the question or just pretend they only bought a starter package, no big deal, it was fun while it lasted.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Colostomy Bag posted:

I was sort of thinking along these same lines. During the end of days a few employees basically steal everything not nailed down and someone copies the source code and 80TB of assets and just dumps it on the interwebz.

If I was an ex employee and I got hold of a 2TB drive with all the assets and source code to make Star Citizen a possibility if given to a team of dedicated fans then about 20 mins after I got the drive I would have a nice clean formatted 2TB drive in my PC with Elite probably installed on it

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
https://twitter.com/PeterLNewton/status/873769589959565314

:lol:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

If I was an ex employee and I got hold of a 2TB drive with all the assets and source code to make Star Citizen a possibility if given to a team of dedicated fans then about 20 mins after I got the drive I would have a nice clean formatted 2TB drive in my PC with Elite probably installed on it

You filthy griefer.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I don't believe any of you that are thinking of a long slow collapse while they milk whales for ever smaller amounts. It doesn't matter how long it's taken to get until now.

This poo poo is Wile E. Coyote running off the cliff, he just hasn't looked down yet

Downsizing or anything indicating money problems will be looking down, backers are so salty about what we say because it makes sense. They know it can happen and any indication that it is will be disastrous.

Until now CIG makes up hilariously fake videos and "demos" and passes off a Crysis mod as Dreams.exe and lies by omission controlling the narrative. Something outside their control that they can't hide like downsizing is completely different.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Amazing Zimmo posted:

https://twitter.com/RooSmash_/status/873761655519191040

I'm gonna party like it's 2099 and 4.0 was just delayed another week

Mind you, that was originally billed as the "3.0 launch party Bar Citizen"

Not so much now.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

I'm guessing that this is something that would be insanely useful in creating SC as promised and only goes to further underscore Chris Roberts' idiocy in choosing CryEngine?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

DigitalMocking posted:

Not so much now.

I hope somebody still had a PowerPoint presentation to share with the class.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Posting itt to remind everyone that Chris Roberts' vision of a game where different zones have different physics applied to them, something never done in gaming before, may have actually first seen the light of day in a little-known sleeper series called Dead Space by indie publisher EA, where there are zones in the game that can have zero gravity or vacuum or both, where it's possible to nipple ankle jet around at will and stick to walls/ceilings in any orientation, and you can fire physics objects from inside of one of these areas to the outside and vice versa.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

DigitalMocking posted:

Not so much now.

Imagine the stench.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

Breetai posted:

Posting itt to remind everyone that Chris Roberts' vision of a game where different zones have different physics applied to them, something never done in gaming before, may have actually first seen the light of day in a little-known sleeper series called Dead Space by indie publisher EA, where there are zones in the game that can have zero gravity or vacuum or both, where it's possible to nipple ankle jet around at will and stick to walls/ceilings in any orientation, and you can fire physics objects from inside of one of these areas to the outside and vice versa.

Chip's Challenge in 1989 had zones with different physics like ice floors.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Space Crabs posted:

I don't believe any of you that are thinking of a long slow collapse while they milk whales for ever smaller amounts. It doesn't matter how long it's taken to get until now.

This poo poo is Wile E. Coyote running off the cliff, he just hasn't looked down yet

Downsizing or anything indicating money problems will be looking down, backers are so salty about what we say because it makes sense. They know it can happen and any indication that it is will be disastrous.

Until now CIG makes up hilariously fake videos and "demos" and passes off a Crysis mod as Dreams.exe and lies by omission controlling the narrative. Something outside their control that they can't hide like downsizing is completely different.

I think the most compelling evidence of Star Citizen's impending demise is their meticulously cultivated, laser-like marketing focus on precisely nobody except their existing backers. Everything - EVERYTHING - is about pressuring the existing base to squeeze out just a little more cash. The only outreach to new users is the referral system, which of course kepps all the pressure on the backers. If CIG had any confidence in what they were doing, they'd extend their marketing appropriately. But of course, they have nothing to show, and nowadays even a cursory Google search will reveal the epic-level clusterfuck failure this became, no matter how many Reddit posts claim the opposite.

Or, for the more savvy internet user, precisely because Reddit claims the opposite.

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Criminal lawyer or criminal, lawyer. Yeah. No difference.

Scruffpuff posted:

I think the most compelling evidence of Star Citizen's impending demise is their meticulously cultivated, laser-like marketing focus on precisely nobody except their existing backers. Everything - EVERYTHING - is about pressuring the existing base to squeeze out just a little more cash. The only outreach to new users is the referral system, which of course kepps all the pressure on the backers. If CIG had any confidence in what they were doing, they'd extend their marketing appropriately. But of course, they have nothing to show, and nowadays even a cursory Google search will reveal the epic-level clusterfuck failure this became, no matter how many Reddit posts claim the opposite.

Or, for the more savvy internet user, precisely because Reddit claims the opposite.

CIG is incompetent but not stupid. Why would they EVER focus on people who haven't backed already? A bird in the hand is worth two in the giltchy port olisar.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Scruffpuff posted:

What will YOU do the first time you see this ?

(Picture of a commando with his head up his own rear end)

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
The new Metro game showing off its impressive engine improvements and atmosphere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuvN4YcJ0ZA

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Quavers posted:

The new Metro game showing off its impressive engine improvements and atmosphere

Such bullshit

None of the houses started spinning and jittering around at high speed

And when the video ended it didn't replay the train going past twice

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Criminal lawyer or criminal, lawyer. Yeah. No difference.

Quavers posted:

But Star Citizen is going to have that level of FIDELITY for every planet! 100 of them!!!!1!!ll!!1 you stupid loving Goonie! FUD spreading rear end in a top hat.....

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Quavers posted:

I'm not going to lie, watching the guy pick up a magazine and seamlessly jam it into his weapon impressed me more than I'd care to admit.

I think I'm starting to show signs of Fidelity Cravings.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Breetai posted:

I'm not going to lie, watching the guy pick up a magazine and seamlessly jam it into his weapon impressed me more than I'd care to admit.

I think I'm starting to show signs of Fidelity Cravings.

*Goons circle around me, pointing and howling like Donald Sutherland at the end of Invasion of the Body Snatchers*

SpaceCurtisLeMay
Sep 30, 2016

We're at war with Goons. We were attacked by Goons. Do you want to kill Goons, or would you rather have Citizens killed?
Not sure if this got posted about MEA but interesting similarities: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYDJNf4LyBs

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers

Quavers posted:

Metro does look good but that trailer still looks way too scripted for my liking.

Also I believe the cat is a bit too scripted as well... I mean look at it, it's obviously trying to read a teleprompter in that pic.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Sappo569 posted:

Just cause youre really fat doesn't make your bellybutton a landfill, come on!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers

Trilobite posted:

I still think that's going to be at the very end of a long, slow death: if they're very lucky, they'll manage to get a MVP of Squadron 42 out the door while the money's still coming in, some kind of "part 1" with the promise that the rest of it will be out when it's ready. Then they'll make sad noises about how it's not selling as well as they had hoped, and how they're working around the clock to get it patched into something more presentable. Some crash bugs will get fixed. Sales won't pick up. Future chapters will never arrive.

The reason why SQ42 won't sell all that well is because all those that are interested in it have already payed for it, so it will be a struggle for CIG to get fresh money in based off of the most likely poorly received release.