Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
now shitposting, shitposting is for the real men

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Vox Nihili posted:

You're an idiot, dude. No one is noting your nonvote, your precious conscience is all you have. You aren't a tool if you vote for a crappy candidate over a really evil candidate, you're a tool if you refuse to vote at all because you can't get what you really want. You might as well go piss on a poor person.

I'm not telling them to refuse to vote if you actually read.

I'm telling them to vote for who they feel comfortable voting for, which if it's no one then vote for no one.
But still vote.

I want all areas to have instant runoff ranked choice to provide the best metrics and voting for the same piece of poo poo over and over because the system is designed to prevent actual good candidates gives them metrics to keep being huge pieces of poo poo.

This isn't about Dems vs Republicans.
This is about voting for things you agree with and telling people to vote against their own beliefs just because it's the only option and you refuse to give them alternate options is dumb as gently caress.

Make ranked choice default.
Vote your conscience.
Quit judging people because they don't like the lovely flavor of dem their local dems force them to be subjected to.

ThndrShk2k has issued a correction as of 03:05 on Jun 12, 2017

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

deadgoon posted:

now shitposting, shitposting is for the real men

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
Just as a metric, in many states more people voted for no-confidence/no one than they voted for 3rd party. Perhaps more so than previous years.

Maybe all candidates where poo poo? It at least provides a metric for an argument towards such to encourage those to change their views to attract more votes in that area, adjusting to the demographics, to win.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
my view is that you shouldn't vote at all on Election Day

I didn't in 2016 and it was great

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
donald trump, who has absolutely no political experience, and who's success was derided as impossible by every experienced member of the political establishment, is now president

because of shitposting

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Joementum posted:

my view is that you shouldn't vote at all on Election Day

I didn't in 2016 and it was great

I wish I could be as cool as you

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
don't blame me, i voted for al giordano

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

docbeard posted:

I still maintain that Bernie should move to West Virginia and primary Joe Manchin.

https://newrepublic.com/article/142774/its-time-west-virginia-rise-up-qa-paula-swearengin

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

https://twitter.com/SeanMcElwee/status/874077648225538048

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Concerned Citizen posted:

don't blame me, i voted for al giordano

sadly, he chickened out and isn't running in 2018. I was looking forward to him getting stomped by a parade of Birkenstocks

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Joementum posted:

sadly, he chickened out and isn't running in 2018. I was looking forward to him getting stomped by a parade of Birkenstocks

Al Giordano Would Have Won

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

cutting rent by even 1/3 for poor/middle class ppl would be a staggeringly massive boost to the economy

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Concerned Citizen posted:

i wish like 1000 more floridians had voted for gore instead of their conscience in 2000

idk if just 1000 more would have been too many for the republicans to disappear

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
you could seriously just reduce the cost of rent and implement cheaper healthcare and you wouldnt really need a 15 dollar minimum wage lol

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

don't worry once the inevitable pendulum of lovely american politics swings the other way, some woke dem can get elected president and be the serious adult in the room and gut social security with a republican congress like obama failed to do

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

anime was right posted:

you could seriously just reduce the cost of rent and implement cheaper healthcare and you wouldnt really need a 15 dollar minimum wage lol
but then pharma and health insurance will stop shoveling money into our election coffers and offering us cushy jobs in the private sector after we get out of public office

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

comedyblissoption posted:

don't worry once the inevitable pendulum of lovely american politics swings the other way, some woke dem can get elected president and be the serious adult in the room and gut social security with a republican congress like obama failed to do

I don't wanna be a jerk about this but it wasn't inevitable, it wasn't even a pendulum swing, it was a concerted effort by people who decided the future of the democratic party was literally Yuppies instead of the poor and working class

Nothing is inevitable in politics. Things are the way they are because people made them that way, and that means we can make them different. This world is ours to change.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

anime was right posted:

cutting rent by even 1/3 for poor/middle class ppl would be a staggeringly massive boost to the economy

yes, but would it solve racism?

anyway we all know that housing is one of the biggest vectors through which americans are sucked dry by rentiers and said rentiers are not interested in seeing their client politicians letting that dry up. if macron actually campaigned on housing costs despite being firmly in the FIRE world like everyone in the US establishment that's interesting. i wonder if french bankers are less engorged on real estate than their american counterparts and/or if EM will actually deliver.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
https://twitter.com/AP/status/874020406159712256

Anyone got the leanings of PR?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
someone tell trump that puerto rico loves him and they'll be a state by the end of the week

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
how many states did obama admit, trump? 0. you could make history, let's do this

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

puerto rico could probably bribe him with some land to build a lovely hotel

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

ThndrShk2k posted:

Anyone got the leanings of PR?

It's very mixed, but recent emigration makes it impossible to know now. It could end up being a battleground state or a safe-ish Democratic state with quirky local demands.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Isnt Puerto Rico disastrously in debt or something?

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

comedyblissoption posted:

but then pharma and health insurance will stop shoveling money into our election coffers and offering us cushy jobs in the private sector after we get out of public office

if they improved the social safety net, they wouldn't need to get a cushy job in the private sector when they leave office.

just saying.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Not a Step posted:

yes. one of the reasons statehood would be good for them.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Not a Step posted:

yep. and the argument against statehood is that they would be able to discharge those debts by bankruptcy.

so guess which argument is backed by the financial sector

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Grondoth posted:

I don't wanna be a jerk about this but it wasn't inevitable, it wasn't even a pendulum swing, it was a concerted effort by people who decided the future of the democratic party was literally Yuppies instead of the poor and working class

Nothing is inevitable in politics. Things are the way they are because people made them that way, and that means we can make them different. This world is ours to change.
well i should say the pendelum swing since the 80s started by the bad dems. before then FDR dems held congress for like over half a century.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i said it before, i'll say it again: gently caress it, give statehood to puerto rico and dc both.

let's make the dems have their first primaries with the newest states.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'm gonna get real for a second, and I'm gonna write a lot of words. I promise it won't hurt much.

As I've mentioned on occasion, I grew up in the Mennonite church, and I still identify with them more or less (as Terry Pratchett and/or Neil Gaiman wrote in Good Omens, when I avoid going to church, it's a Mennonite church I avoid going to). And this piece (which I found when I was looking for modern Mennonites' thoughts on voting, because in the past their position on it has been "don't") about halfway down this page has really helped me sort out a lot of my own attitude toward principled participation in a political process where, basically, all the available options suck.

(There's some other good stuff there too, and also some eye-rolly stuff, but this is the one that spoke to me, especially the line I bolded.)

quote:

As members of God’s kingdom, we will always clash with human power structures. As Christians, we are at odds with all governments that would claim our allegiance. It is our calling to stand with the oppressed, to reject greed, violence, and the destruction of creation. Christianity is essentially a religion of protest, struggle, and suffering for the sake of our God.

Of course, we could reject voting, since it condones that which we oppose. But we know we will never be able to turn our backs to the sin of government-sanctioned murder, unjust economic systems, and systemic discrimination. Alternately, we could claim our place in it, yet not of it.

When Mennonites vote, we are not voting for who we support to lead us. We are voting for who we would rather struggle against.

Without false hope or blind trust, I wholeheartedly choose Hillary Clinton as the leader I would prefer to protest in this Christian/Government dichotomy. Under Clinton’s leadership, my hope is that our faulted democracy will kill as few people as possible and save as many resources as possible to buy time for us to organize local systems which build co-operation upward rather than waiting for some form of justice to trickle down.

When I dream of the Kingdom of God, the United States of America is not the organizing principle.

(Note: "The Kingdom of God" is generally the justice-minded Christian's equivalent to "Full Luxury Automated Space Communism".)

I actually agree (sigh) with ThndrShk2k (that is so deeply unpleasant to write) that you should ultimately vote in the way that best reflects your conscience and your principles. You should know what your vote, or your non-vote, will and won't accomplish (it won't send a message, at least not any message you probably want to send, because the sorts of people who make decisions upon reading vote counts are masters at the art of making data say whatever they want), but once you understand that, you're the one who has to live with what you do. And if you can't stomach voting for a "bad Dem", I suppose I can't really blame you. I know, I know, that so many Democrats are disappointing and infuriating, and some of them are complicit in the wholly indefensible exploitation of prison labor, and so few of them in any sense represent the things I hold valuable and true. (I am super privileged to live in Keith Ellison's congressional district, so there's at least one person I can wholeheartedly support in some things, if not in everything. But that list is a very very short list.)

I would still rather spend my time trying, however futilely, to push the rich urbanites who just want to paint a rainbow flag on the status quo and call it good toward actual justice, actual change, actual relief for the folks down here on the ground than spend that time arguing against the folks who are like five minutes away from showing up in poor neighborhoods with a flamethrower and a cigar and calling the resulting war crime "infrastructure". There's a difference. It's not anywhere near enough of a difference, God knows, but it's there.

If you can't do that, if the way you choose to struggle against the excesses of powerful is to deny them even your tacit endorsement, then I respect that, I do. Just don't give up. That's the important thing.

And some potato salad. No scrapple though, I don't know anyone who actually eats that poo poo.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Why isn't DC a state?

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
What if instead of making puerto rico a state, we abolished all borders.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Grondoth posted:

Why isn't DC a state?

because that would be unconstitutional

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Grondoth posted:

Why isn't DC a state?

they can become a state when they learn to vote republican like the rest of them

Missingnoleader
Mar 10, 2014

Grondoth posted:

Why isn't DC a state?

All them disenfranchised college students and African American voters is good for the conservatives.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Joementum posted:

that's a reason

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Joementum posted:

can they make the buildings d.c. but every other part virginia or something?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

every resident of dc is now a sovereign citizen and makes up their own government, and these many governments will enter into a contract to incorporate themselves into a single corporation d/b/a a state

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

anime was right posted:

can they make the buildings d.c. but every other part virginia or something?

yes, though the land those buildings occupy would be part of the district. the only requirement is that D.C. cannot exceed ten square miles in total size. it could even be in multiple locations.

• Locked thread