Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

SgtSteel91 posted:

For a sec I though Erlich was going to die in that fire and that was how T.J. Miller was leaving the show

I don't think you're alone in that, and the fact that he wasn't harmed in the slightest is kind of weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Oh man, Jared's blow-softening, neutral colored, shape-negating sweater.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

priznat posted:

Prediction: Erlich dies in a palapa fire caused by Jian Yang celebration-smoking.

Well I got 1/3 of the prediction right

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I don't think you're alone in that, and the fact that he wasn't harmed in the slightest is kind of weird.

Look, Erlich is just the last Targaryen. That's all.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Why do people think he remained in the palapa while it burned?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

priznat posted:

Well I got 1/3 of the prediction right

I saw that scene start and immediately thought of this post.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

mycomancy posted:

I saw that scene start and immediately thought of this post.

:hfive: I wasn't too surprised, that palapa was gonna burn down at some time! Chekov's palapa

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Fuccccccck Jack's little hoolicon mockup and his presentation plan killed me.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

Fuccccccck Jack's little hoolicon mockup and his presentation plan killed me.

All the box puns slayed me. Gavin's ex office had some nice new Jack touches like the horse statue and the woodcut of the conjoined triangles of success.

"BOOM! Jack in the box!"

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
TJ Miller was on the Nerdist podcast just now and leaving came up of course. His main stated reason was that he's just too busy, and he felt like he needed to give up some of the more safe, comfortable things and focus on more challenging stuff.

It's a good talk, if you're not one of those people who can't stand Chris Hardwick.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
When TJ Miller's leaving first came out, didn't the news say he was getting fired? Was that inaccurate or has everyone just been playing along and letting him pretend he's leaving of his own accord?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

PostNouveau posted:

When TJ Miller's leaving first came out, didn't the news say he was getting fired? Was that inaccurate or has everyone just been playing along and letting him pretend he's leaving of his own accord?

The first reports I saw of it said the decision was mutual, but feeling the need to specify that made it seem like something was up.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Toast Museum posted:

The first reports I saw of it said the decision was mutual, but feeling the need to specify that made it seem like something was up.

Yeah. Mostly a matter of optics though, nobody wants to talk poo poo about their previous employee or employer unless it is incredibly well deserved. In this case, he had been arrested (no clue what happened with that) and his film career is taking off.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Man, Richard is really coming into his own as an rear end in a top hat in his own right this season.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

When's he leaving? Is he already gone?

No TJ Miller for Season 5?

Edit: just did a Google search on the topic. Goddamn that sucks.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jun 12, 2017

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm alright with him leaving so long as Jian Yang becomes their new landlord.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
Erhlic was all like "you were supposed to bring balance to Pied Piper, not destroy it". Except this time he ended up in the fire.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

get that OUT of my face posted:

Man, Richard is really coming into his own as an rear end in a top hat in his own right this season.

I liked how he literally suggested starting a ponzi-scheme at the beginning of the episode to get out of their liquidity problem.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

get that OUT of my face posted:

I'm OK with this. Desperation turned Jared into Ed Chambers. Let's see what it does to Richard.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I loved Jack's throwaway "well, thoughts & prayers obviously" line when he was told about the truck driver dying.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

GobiasIndustries posted:

I loved Jack's throwaway "well, thoughts & prayers obviously" line when he was told about the truck driver dying.

I also loved that. Everything about it, especially the way in which the line was delivered--there was no mistaking that it was an automatic response that one must make because of etiquette.

It's quite a powerful statement on the true worth of the oft-used variants of "sending thoughts and prayers" in times of tragedy. It truly has become naught but a "Bless you!" that people blurt out when tragedy sneezes on us.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

I'm OK with this. Desperation turned Jared into Ed Chambers. Let's see what it does to Richard.
I like it too, it adds a new dimension to Richard.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm alright with him leaving so long as Jian Yang becomes their new landlord.

This....this would actually be awesome.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
So we're getting another heist by the PP crew under Jack Barker's nose?

Worked well last time.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

So they're going to give free phones to everyone at hoolicon I'm assuming with their algorithm pre-loaded. Remember how pissed people got when they had to have a U2 album on their phone?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

kiimo posted:

So they're going to give free phones to everyone at hoolicon I'm assuming with their algorithm pre-loaded. Remember how pissed people got when they had to have a U2 album on their phone?

That was audio rape.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

kiimo posted:

But the internet 2.0 is integrated into the PP source code isnt it? Which is now being used in every device that will be running Feldspar's VR demo? Perhaps every Hooli-OS machine? So all they have to do is tell everybody there is a new, faster, free internet, and if you've tried this hot new VR demo it's already on your phones and a government can never censor it or shut it down.

it's like if they managed to backdoor their thing into the newest Android release but it wasn't really done in a shady way, just android overlooking their newly acquired code

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 12, 2017

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

tarlibone posted:

I also loved that. Everything about it, especially the way in which the line was delivered--there was no mistaking that it was an automatic response that one must make because of etiquette.

It's quite a powerful statement on the true worth of the oft-used variants of "sending thoughts and prayers" in times of tragedy. It truly has become naught but a "Bless you!" that people blurt out when tragedy sneezes on us.

That was great. Made me immediately think of this:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

bring back old gbs posted:

Which is now being used in every device that will be running Feldspar's VR demo?

No, the integration with PP died with the deal and Hooli's middle-out compression is running it now.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Dave posted:

No, the integration with PP died with the deal and Hooli's middle-out compression is running it now.

Ah, I figured they were going to use the internet 2 networking stuff to set up some "crowd-source the graphics!!" thing after Laurie explained the demo can only be run well on a supercomputer.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm thinking it will be more them getting people to install the app.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Cojawfee posted:

That was my assumption too.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was thinking they buy all the tickets themselves so the whole HooliCon is them heckling Barker from the front row

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Cojawfee posted:

I got the impression that they'll try to figure out a way to con attendees into loading their app. "Molesting" them, if you will...like Jared's uncle.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
'The future of VR is obviously in mobile.'

Yeah, you know what, I can't suspend my disbelief that much.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jun 13, 2017

White Noise Marine
Apr 14, 2010

Paladinus posted:

'The future of VR is obviously in mobile.'

Yeah, you know what, I can't suspense my disbelief that much.

Pretty sure there are a bunch of company's trying to turn your smart phone into your vr headset like Google cardboard

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

White Noise Marine posted:

Pretty sure there are a bunch of company's trying to turn your smart phone into your vr headset like Google cardboard

Yep, if you search for VR headset on Amazon almost all the results are for phones.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

SgtSteel91 posted:

For a sec I though Erlich was going to die in that fire and that was how T.J. Miller was leaving the show

That's what I thought too, and I was like poo poo, that's morbid as gently caress.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I went from, "VR is a gimmick," to, "VR is the future," in seconds while trying a co-worker's $20 smartphone-headset while it ran a VR video off youtube.

High-end headsets would be amazing in movie theaters, training contexts and for advanced interfaces. I wouldn't be surprised if VR arcades in urban centers become a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

Accretionist posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if VR arcades in urban centers become a thing.

Theres one not far from where I live; it's just a bunch of cubicles with PCs running Vive games from Steam but it's a pretty neat setup and it was fun for an hour or so. Once decent multiplayer games start coming out I could see it taking off.

• Locked thread