Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axia
Nov 15, 2005

The future is now.

Slim Pickens posted:

Is this Glen Helen? That track's so ridiculously fast.

Thunder Valley in CO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Nothing new. They stole that from KTM.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Coydog posted:

Nothing new. They stole that from KTM.

BMW's shift forks would like a word.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I saw that today, what's going on is Honda having a rash of shite transmissions or what

tjones
May 13, 2005
That and what appears to be a horrible electronics package that has its own bag of issues.

That bike has nearly killed two TT legends and should be killed off and recalled.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

builds character posted:

BMW's shift forks would like a word.

shift spoons.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I suspect electronics are more to blame than the box itself cause that engine is unchanged architecturally.

tjones
May 13, 2005

Slavvy posted:

I suspect electronics are more to blame than the box itself cause that engine is unchanged architecturally.

I'm admitting now that I am fairly ignorant when it comes to the newer electronic packages and how they interact with bike in regards to assists and aids. How would an electronics failure cause false neutrals from 4th to 3rd? It's not shift by wire? The shift lever is still connected to the drum, and the drum to the fork, right?

From the video of Martin's come off, it looked like he tried multiple times to engage the shift lever to get the bike to down shift and got nothing but air every time. If I had to guess, I'd say something is wrong with the drum or fork.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Quick shifter and downshift blipping could play a part, I'll confess to not having seen any footage but if he were mechanically unable to get it into gear then yeah something is wrong there. I'd still point the finger at whoever put the engine together, or a defective part.

tjones
May 13, 2005
Here is the video for anyone that has not seen it. I did not realize it had not been posted before considering the conversation topic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjZXaUwYoog

You can hear him frantically banging down on the shifter right before he's booted off the saddle. Scary poo poo. It is one thing to gently caress up and make a personal mistake to cause a racer to be in a situation such as this, but to have absolutely no control, and possibly no confidence in the machine that they are relying on to move them around the course is frightening. I personally believe this is why Guy looks so shook in the post crash interview. I'd even question whether he would have had a different demeanor had the crash been a rider error.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Fucks sake, he looks ready to quit motorcycle racing in that interview :(

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Slim Pickens posted:

Fucks sake, he looks ready to quit motorcycle racing in that interview :(

I felt like this was his last hurrah. Big team, big manufacturer, big team mate. I wonder if these issues will crop up with the street bikes?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I dunno bout last hurrah, but to me that was the face of a dude who was feeling his mortality and wanted to lash out at Honda for that but knows enough to hold back and answer 'right' by this point. You can see his answers in his face before he says a reserved (for Guy Martin) answer.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

nsaP posted:

I dunno bout last hurrah, but to me that was the face of a dude who was feeling his mortality and wanted to lash out at Honda for that but knows enough to hold back and answer 'right' by this point. You can see his answers in his face before he says a reserved (for Guy Martin) answer.

Agreed, Martin is doing the team thing by not making GBS threads on the bike that clearly almost killed him. He'll be back next year, bikes are in his blood by his own admission, he'll die before he properly retires.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
I just love "a box full of neutrals".

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I've only experienced false neutrals from shifting up. Must be terrifying to be in a corner with no engine braking at all.

tjones
May 13, 2005
Something I did not consider is he may be running gp shift. It can be a bit more complicated trying to shift a lever up instead of down with body position playing a factor.

Anyone know which style most road racers prefer? It would be my guess that there is a bigger percentage of road racers who use a conventional shift pattern as opposed to purely track based racers.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It's about toe clearance when leaned over on the left side so I'd imagine most all serious racers run GP shift

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Why don't street bikes work that way? There doesn't seem to be any disadvantage to GP shift pattern, other than inertia because every bike uses the conventional pattern.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I think it's just "that's the way it's always been done"

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I think it's just "that's the way it's always been done"

Shifting "up" and "down" would get real confusing real fast.

"Upshift as you come to a halt" - Stopping in sixth.

"Clutchless downshifting is fine, just don't upshift." - Wrecks gearbox.

tjones
May 13, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

Why don't street bikes work that way? There doesn't seem to be any disadvantage to GP shift pattern, other than inertia because every bike uses the conventional pattern.

I'd rather down shifting be easier for situations not un-similar to what started this discussion.

If you find yourself coming in too hot or needing to escape a situation it's easier to bang down a lever and let the bike help slow you or give you a lower gear for more power.

I've rarely found myself mid corner and hanging off the bike wishing I could more easily up shift to shave a few fractions of seconds it takes to wait or search for the lever. I have used split second down shifts to prepare for a possible sticky situation.

I don't think gp shift is more practical for street situations, even aggressive canyon riders to be entirely honest. I also think most do it on their street bikes because they want to be street Rossi. Or at least in my experience, I've come to that conclusion with the few people I've met who run gp shift all the time.

That being said, I grew up riding 80 and 90 model quads and three wheelers that had reversed shift patterns.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I really liked running GP shift on my track bike. I never had issues swapping between the two of them (left dirt and street bike normal shift), but occasionally, when riding aggressively on the street my brain would equate speed with GP shift and I'd have trouble.

I really do prefer it though, just not every bike makes it easy to swap so I'm not going to use it full time. I find clicking up to row down gears while braking a more complementary action and the 'flick down' to drive out of corners is a lot easier when you are riding at your personal 10/10ths of ability.

I think its the flight stick/joystick preference all of us with brothers had when growing up. You like it down stick to pull up, they like up=up, and swapping controllers between friends is a nightmare.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
https://instagram.com/p/BVIc2VvBmNV/

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That's....hmm.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Slavvy posted:

That's....hmm.

Really that's all we can say about... That...

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

I liked GP shift when I tried it on a rented track bike, plan to try it on the street with my next bike. The 500 hasn't got any more lean angle available even with normal shifting.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

agreed

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

Is it to do with gearboxes requiring more force to shift down than up? I'm sure someone told me that at some point.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I can't think of any benefit to GP shift on a road bike but I can think of negatives, I mean track riding and street riding are complete opposites. You want quick upshifts on the track and the downshifts don't need to be as fast cause it's in controlled braking. But the street is 180, you don't need fast upshifts, more fast downshifts if you are emergency braking, and this would be in an unpredictable time. It's so much easier to tap down than you be reacting to whatever and trying to get your foot under the lever to work it up.

tjones
May 13, 2005
It's good to see Guy Martin in his environment when he is enjoying himself after the previous video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb3pptYyU-Q

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
:stonk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46KuqaehOHc

in gif form:

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I don't know how they fit these guys for track suits when they're packing two stone of brass balls. Just watching that video made my rear end pucker.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

tjones posted:

It's good to see Guy Martin in his environment when he is enjoying himself after the previous video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb3pptYyU-Q

Yeah, after that crash, and even the next day, he was really out of sorts.

Also stolen from YOSPOS :haw:

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I don't get why chopper riders think it's okay to ride without a front brake

I had a lady friend die in the Rockies from a high side into a guard rail.

She was riding with my other buddy, they were both on choppers coming down to Denver from the mountains. Typical rear lockup from painic braking at something.

It wasn't his fault but I still kinda blame the fad that encouraged them to build those stupid unrideable bikes

It was tragic as gently caress.

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jun 11, 2017

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I guess if it's raked out enough, you'd have to run a pretty weak front brake to keep it from locking the wheel up whenever you used it due to insufficient weight transfer. So why even have it if it's drat near useless in the first place? I'm grasping at straws here, but that's the only semi-plausible reason I could come up with.

Sorry your friend died because of a lovely fad.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
If that wasn't enough, choppers look sound and feel like poo poo too. But that doesn't put very many people off.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
ugh

Edit: Atlanta supposedly

https://streamable.com/ltlj3

https://cdn-e2.streamable.com/video/mp4/ltlj3.mp4?token=1498460698_30967359b4e59e7d21b7772ae2377f343c83bd36

`Nemesis fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jun 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

What is this? Some sort of moron pride ride?