Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Bethesda didn't learn their lesson from last time, they're trying to make paid mods A Thing :munch:.

Do what now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Over in the good timeline: oh great, publishers will divert a slice of their massive profits into paying top mod creators a reasonable fee for their work and release them as free dlc!

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Okay, I saw the video.

Ugh, they think trying the rent-seeking will work after last time, and for a bonus tray of poo poo sandwiches I'm guessing here comes the stacked DRM.

Guess I better sweep through the Fallout 4 DLC sooner rather than later.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Veotax posted:

Apparently there is going to be curation this time though, so maybe it won't be as much of a poo poo show as last time?

Also it'll be on consoles, so that'll give it a boost.

You trust Bethesda to be better than Steam on this?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Arcsquad12 posted:

Kinda difficult to be worse [img-Hollywood-scale-:v:]

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kavak posted:

It's not Steam itself doing this and Fallout IV sucks so at most the Skyrim Nexus will turn into a teapot of drama again.

If Steam couldn't land it as a general thing for all games, what the gently caress makes you think it's going to work for a single Producer's library? Especially the one with possibly the largest modding community of all?

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

It's not even screening mods (apparently you cannot even put on a mod that already exists), but them hiring you to make new mods for them.

Sounds like how user made skins worked in Dota.

So at worst Bethesda will just cut the modders pay in a year without any announcement...

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Best-case scenario: Bethesda starts out by contacting or negotiating with a couple of the Nexus modders (say, Arthmoor), and the initial correspondences result in them dropping the Creation Club idea without hesitation.

Ideal-but-highly-unlikely scenario: Bethesda sees TrainWiz's work and hires him to work on the next Elder Scrolls game.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bholder posted:

So how many people will lose their poo poo even though this is a much better system and at worst it will be ignored in favor of better free alternatives?

IS it? A special currency you have to buy to buy mods is the worst idea. Yeah guys, so if you have a refund for a mod problem, we don't give back your money, just the mod currency.

And most of it will be from Bethesda themselves? That's called DLC, not mods

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jun 12, 2017

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
The proof is in the pudding obviously and Bethesda has every opportunity to screw up the execution here, but taken at their word this program honestly seems fine to me.

Read the actual FAQ at the bottom of https://creationclub.bethesda.net/en if anyone hasn't.

Key points are that everything in the program is going through an internal Bethesda pipeline where it will have QA testing, polish and feedback phases. Partners in the program submit project proposals with documentation to Bethesda, and if Bethesda approves the project they start PAYING THEM IMMEDIATELY and set development milestones for further payment. All the content for the program is supposed to be completely original and It seems like it might actually be pretty difficult for someone to cram stolen assets through without anyone noticing, unlike the Steam Workshop. Bethesda hasn't said anything about clamping down on free mods and I don' t know why they would, the free mods aren't going anywhere.

Will the modders be paid fairly? Will it be impossible to sort out original work from stolen work? Will Bethesda actually hold up their end of the deal on QA and assistance? Who knows.

Regarding TF2/Dota comparisons, AFAIK Valve requires authors to submit completely finished assets to the Workshop and then it's either accepted or it isn't, and the creators are paid on a percentage of sales. Bethesda's scheme actually in some ways seems more fair and stable since it isn't based on skimming the cream from the top of a sea of totally unpaid spec work, and people theoretically know what they will be paid for their time rather than having to depend on item sales.

I agree that abstracted Bethesda Buxx currency is annoying and bad but let's not pretend that Bethesda invented the idea. I am inured to it at this point.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jun 12, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Scoss posted:

The proof is in the pudding obviously and Bethesda has every opportunity to screw up the execution here, but taken at their word this program honestly seems completely fine to me.

Read the actual FAQ at the bottom of https://creationclub.bethesda.net/en if anyone hasn't.

Key points are that everything in the program is going through an internal Bethesda pipeline where it will have QA testing, polish and feedback phases. Partners in the program submit project proposals with documentation to Bethesda, and if Bethesda approves the project they start PAYING THEM IMMEDIATELY and set development milestones for further payment. All the content for the program is supposed to be completely original and It seems like it might actually be pretty difficult for someone to cram stolen assets through without anyone noticing, unlike the Steam Workshop. Bethesda hasn't said anything about clamping down on free mods and I don' t know why they would, the free mods aren't going anywhere.

Will the modders be paid fairly? Will it be impossible to sort out original work from stolen work? Will Bethesda actually hold up their end of the deal on QA and assistance? Who knows.

Regarding TF2/Dota comparisons, AFAIK Valve requires authors to submit completely finished assets to the Workshop and then it's either accepted or it isn't, and the creators are paid on a percentage of sales. Bethesda's scheme actually in some ways seems more fair and stable since it isn't based on skimming the cream from the top of a sea of totally unpaid spec work, and people theoretically know what they will be paid for their time rather than having to depend on item sales.

I agree that abstracted Bethesda Buxx currency is annoying and bad but let's not pretend that Bethesda invented the idea. I am inured to it at this point.

This assumes the average mod-maker has a project coder's ethos and not a "done when I feel like it" attitude. Expecting developer-quality milestones and QT is not going to fly when the vast majority of them can't stand any form of criticism and will only release their pretty code baby when they think it's ready. Those stupid developers have NO PLACE expecting an a[u/r]tist to meet project goals and maintain contact with Bethesda to update them on content development pipelines.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

poo poo if it's literally nothing but in-house mods made by Devs, that sounds fine to me.

Remember that game-jam video they made for Skyrim ages ago? I wouldn't mind those as mods.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I have to interrupt you because I just looked at the Nexus and...

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/24814/

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/24808/

-Yikes-

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This assumes the average mod-maker has a project coder's ethos and not a "done when I feel like it" attitude. Expecting developer-quality milestones and QT is not going to fly when the vast majority of them can't stand any form of criticism and will only release their pretty code baby when they think it's ready. Those stupid developers have NO PLACE expecting an a[u/r]tist to meet project goals and maintain contact with Bethesda to update them on content development pipelines.

I'm not sure I see the problem, I mean that seems like a situation that solves itself through the mechanisms of the program. The submission and approval process is the first gate that will filter out anyone who can't put together a coherent and organized project proposal that meets whatever criteria Bethesda is going to lay out for them. If a non-serious developer does manage to get through the approval process, I can't imagine it will take long for their contract to be ended once they start missing milestones and fail to correspond with Bethesda. What's terrible about that?

If hobby modders, or any other kind of modder, want to retain complete authorial control over their own work and set their own schedules, then they just don't use the creation club.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Kavak posted:

People will pirate them again, there will be allegations of stolen content again, everything will be shut down again.

And there is much better DRM this time around. This is basically haven for anyone using patreon as a way to have their mods "sold" as an alternative. Look at the Slab for how creators can take advantage of thirsty nerds. Sex sells for sure, but in this case you are making a ton of dosh than just a regular armor mod.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Scoss posted:

I'm not sure I see the problem, I mean that seems like a situation that solves itself through the mechanisms of the program. The submission and approval process is the first gate that will filter out anyone who can't put together a coherent and organized project proposal that meets whatever criteria Bethesda is going to lay out for them. If a non-serious developer does manage to get through the approval process, I can't imagine it will take long for their contract to be ended once they start missing milestones and fail to correspond with Bethesda. What's terrible about that?

Every modder thinks they're Dev-quality creators and rais a massive stink about not being part of the 'elite 1%' people who are actually capable of being professionals working with the studio.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
And everybody else will laugh at them like they did the guy who put up that broken armor set as a paid mod. Nobody will care that a guy who can only desaturate textures didn't get in.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
If most modders aren't capable of meeting the professional standards to be a part of the creation club then it sounds to me like Bethesda built it properly. Again, the entire system seems designed to filter out flakes and extend a hand to the people that want to be professional developers. How is that bad?

Scoss fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jun 12, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Scoss posted:

If most modders aren't capable of meeting the professional standards to be a part of the creation club then it sounds to me like Bethesda built it properly. Again, the entire system seems designed to filter out flakes and extend a hand to the people that want to be professional developers. How is that bad?

It's not, it's a sensible setup. The problem is it's interacting directly with people who are not sensible, or sane, and will get pretty drat vocal about it :munch:.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
yeah the thing to note is that neddy does not appear to be criticizing bethesda's setup here as unfair or whatever. it's common knowledge that the vast, vast majority of modders are loving awful technologists and worse people. he's simply saying that this system will bring that out in greater relief, which is more content for this thread, and that is good.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Finally a Jennifer Coolidge companion.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Remind me to read the Nexus mod author section tomorrow because I imagine that it's already a barrel of laughs.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

turn off the TV posted:

Remind me to read the Nexus mod author section tomorrow because I imagine that it's already a barrel of laughs.

Please don't hesitate to share if there's anything really good.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Max Wilco posted:

Ideal-but-highly-unlikely scenario: Bethesda sees TrainWiz's work and hires him to work on the next Elder Scrolls game.

Look at this. Look at this and tell me they aren't already looking at him for this.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's not, it's a sensible setup. The problem is it's interacting directly with people who are not sensible, or sane, and will get pretty drat vocal about it :munch:.

My objection to paid mods has always been that these three-children-in-a-trenchcoat modding motherfuckers should not be rewarded, least of all monetarily, for locking themselves away from constructive criticism and pitching a fit, taking their ball and going home any time someone disagrees with them. This setup is perfect because I suspect there's no way with Bethesda themselves vetting people, that most of those wailing idiots will get a foot in the door, meaning level-headed people with actual talent can make some money off their actual hard work that isn't just upresing vanilla textures or removing parts of armor for 'sexiness'.

Mind you I still probably won't be purchasing mods, much less for Bethesda games, but this is seemingly the right way to handle it.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

I have little faith in Valve/Steam to do anything right these days, so maybe?

I dunno, so far it sounds much better than Valve's approach of "upload whatever you want, we don't care. Also we'll only pay you after you make like a grand or whatever it was"

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

Valve will somehow turn this into another gambling site scandal, while Gaben buys another warehouse to store his knives and brony stuff.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Scoss posted:

an internal Bethesda pipeline where it will have QA testing, polish

:lol::lol:

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
So how long before they add "crates" (or thematic equivalent) to Skyrim and sell keys in the Bethesda funbux store?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

m2pt5 posted:

So how long before they add "crates" (or thematic equivalent) to Skyrim and sell keys in the Bethesda funbux store?

You will only be able to get mods from bethesda funboxes. Open a box and get five dong mods but no legendary tier dong framework mods? Sucks to be you!

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

m2pt5 posted:

They pretty much proved this is exactly their plan with a chest containing an official Link costume: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk9wzFtAVx8

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

m2pt5 posted:

That already happened to ESO.

Anyway, I like their approach more than Valve's (but they set pretty low bar and they are making it only lower) and I guess one video call or whatever would be enough to filter out crazy narcissistic modders (if they will ever bother, but professional applications would probably suffice). But I am curious what kind of DRM will they employ. I guess - pretty much none.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jun 12, 2017

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

The Joe Man posted:

They pretty much proved this is exactly their plan with a chest containing an official Link costume: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk9wzFtAVx8
This is an Amiibo function in the Switch version. Summoning random tat at the press of a figurine is an established Amiibo Thing, separate from the current lootbox stuff going on in PC games.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Every mod will have its own copy of SecureROM and a rootkit included.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Filtering out prima-donna babies seems like an unqualified plus to me tbh.

eta: whoops, seems this is a well-plowed field.

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jun 12, 2017

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I hope Arthmoor tries to submit something and is unceremoniously rejected.

He'll probably throw a poo poo-fit on his blog about it.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Nah, man, this is how Whitenlore: the Beartime is going to take the gently caress off.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Cernunnos posted:

I hope Arthmoor tries to submit something and is unceremoniously rejected.

He'll probably throw a poo poo-fit on his blog about it.
If those modders get to be employees, I suspect that his involvement in that furry game might lead to concurrent employment.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Arthmoor furry now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I dunno, I still think paid mods are an atrocious idea. I like the idea of a revenue stream for prominent modders but honestly in my experience each game has maybe five to twelve modders who make anything worth being paid for. Plus paid mods flies in the face of the 'I code as a hobby' element a lot of modders actually follow (and let's please not delude ourselves into thinking anyone is going to make a professional wage off of modding, let alone should they.) The whole thing has too many barriers to legitimate users and I don't know how you implement it without hitting the free mod community over the head with a hammer.

Some kind of patreon model is about the only thing I can think of that would work.