Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

And don't forget to include pictures of your confused bird wondering what the hell the nebulizer is and what it is doing.

Good luck with your birds :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

help!

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i swear it was like this when you got here

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Good luck, Peeps!

Yoshi had some night terrors at around 5 in the morning today, thankfully just as I was getting up to get a glass of water, so I could get him calmed down. He made a huge racket, but he didn't seem to hurt himself, and he cheerfully bleeped hello when I woke him up on my way out the door.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I got a Twitter recently (this rock was super comfortable) and keep seeing bird thread goons show up on it, same when I went to look at /r/parrots and /r/partyparrot on Reddit. It's a small bird world out there

BTW I totally forgot but Ohtori turned six at the end of May. :toot: Another year of being the Best Bird

greypearl
Jul 26, 2007
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Pearl when I elect to work from home: "Good, you've finally realized your real job consists of scratching my head."

Happy birbday to Ohtori! Pearl is a May baby as well (19 this year).

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

19! And to think how that's nothing for a Grey... here's to many more years of :bird:

Steve is helping

Photo of Ohtori's small water bowl by the end of the day, all the large Harrison's were sacrificed I guess

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Battle Pigeon posted:

Photo of Ohtori's small water bowl by the end of the day, all the large Harrison's were sacrificed I guess

Reason I no longer put the water next to the food.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

It's there because he takes it to wherever water is anyway, so he has one small shallow bowl for dipping and one large bowl on the other side of the cage. Inko has two as well, one on each side, for the same reason

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Battle Pigeon posted:

It's there because he takes it to wherever water is anyway, so he has one small shallow bowl for dipping and one large bowl on the other side of the cage. Inko has two as well, one on each side, for the same reason

Hot tip:. If you put the water higher than the food, the parrot can't carry the food up (easily) because it needs to open it's beak to climb unlike going across the cage on somewhat the same level since it can just brace itself without opening their beak.

No doubt they will be successful a couple times , but it will be very annoying for them to do.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Nope they absolutely still do it with little problem, even Inko with his hosed-up legs learnt how to pick things up and carry them from the floor up the bars or across the entire cage to ruin the freshly changed water that was just put in

Ohtori doesn't even really use his beak to climb up the bars of his cage, with the size of the spacing he just walks up, so carrying things isn't an issue

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Battle Pigeon posted:

Steve is helping

Yoshi does this with the Wii U stylus. :allears:

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

EVIL Gibson posted:

Hot tip:. If you put the water higher than the food, the parrot can't carry the food up (easily) because it needs to open it's beak to climb unlike going across the cage on somewhat the same level since it can just brace itself without opening their beak.

No doubt they will be successful a couple times , but it will be very annoying for them to do.

Yeahhhhhh.....I thought this too but Cricket has NO issues at all climbing with her beak full. Its amazing how she does so!

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

Bicyclops posted:

So do you want play as Yoshi in MK8?

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Bicyclops posted:

Is there singing and flirting? That's what Steve was doing!

Jack Forge
Sep 27, 2012
Speaking of Kookaburras have you ever seen one eating? They had one at the bird fair here in Raleigh a few years ago. Small mouse. They typically grab the food by the tail and beat it to a pulp on the branch they are sitting on to crunch up the bones, then they gobble it down (mostly) whole.

SLURP!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YVFjvSSQUE

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Today I gave a crow scritches. He liked them the same way Pion does.
http://0x0.st/IOH.webm

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
:3: that's awesome. Is that the normal colouration for that type of crow? I've never seen one that colour before, and I would have thought it was an albino if it didn't have the brown spots.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
My cockatiel is a VERY BAD GIRL who seems to love jumping down on the ground and running around when I try to catch her. (She laughs!)

I've tried locking her up afterwards but it doesn't seem to help much. She's not really being super bad, just kind of toddling around in circles.

Is there anything else I can try? I'm currently letter her run around a bit (while keeping an eye out she doesn't chew on any cords) rather than lock her up right away since I think she likes the negative attention of being chased.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Is it getting her back into the cage that's difficult?
Try making going back to the cage something positive. I've made a point of never having food generally available outside the cage, so mine have to go in to eat. I usually also offer a treat (which I place inside the cage) when I want them to go back in.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
'tiel time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvfthkELUPw

quote:

[The cockatiel] is my son. Of course he's a bird, but he's my son.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
This afternoon my 'tiel Garrus just took a bite of my wasabi peas when I wasn't looking. He let out a pained chirp and shook his head for a good 30 seconds. I guess they're not immune to the stuff in horseradish like they are capsaicin. At least now he refuses to go near my wasabi peas. :derptiel:

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Jack Forge posted:

Speaking of Kookaburras have you ever seen one eating? They had one at the bird fair here in Raleigh a few years ago. Small mouse. They typically grab the food by the tail and beat it to a pulp on the branch they are sitting on to crunch up the bones, then they gobble it down (mostly) whole.

SLURP!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YVFjvSSQUE

Goast & I had some friends over from Arizona last week, so we took them to the local wildlife park, and got there at the right time to catch most of the animals being fed, so we got to see a Kookaburra and an Osprey eating some babby chicken carcasses.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
how could i pick a favorite? :colbert:

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

My parents are moving, and I finally got around to asking the landlord if I can keep Murphy with me, so here's an image I call "Princess Buttface surveys her new digs."

Blurred for aesthetic.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

maskenfreiheit posted:

My cockatiel is a VERY BAD GIRL who seems to love jumping down on the ground and running around when I try to catch her. (She laughs!)

I've tried locking her up afterwards but it doesn't seem to help much. She's not really being super bad, just kind of toddling around in circles.

Is there anything else I can try? I'm currently letter her run around a bit (while keeping an eye out she doesn't chew on any cords) rather than lock her up right away since I think she likes the negative attention of being chased.

It's just what they do

Much easier to get them running on the floor than flying around in circles and up to the highest shelves though

Find a special treat she loves and only give it to her when she gets put back into the cage, along with some attention for being put inside so it's not as bad and she gets what she wants, but inside

I love this photo, and the old man 'tiel. The comments on the video say he's 27 now and still going!

Mirthless posted:

I never really cared much for budgies until this thread, but all the photos and stories etc really highlight how they're no different from their larger cousins, truly huge parrot hearts in the tiniest package

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Mirthless posted:

Easy:

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

How couldn't you love a cockatoo.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Mirthless posted:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
"I can hold it myself" :smuggo:

Edit: finally got a chance to watch that old man tiel and I love that he's still just doopdooping around like a cockatiel :kimchi:

Tendai fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jun 12, 2017

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

does anyone have a right handed parrot

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

where the red fern gropes posted:

Yup

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

I get the feeling that I'm next. Am I next?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Inglonias posted:

I get the feeling that I'm next. Am I next?

Depends on if you have any more orange wedges.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Beelerzebub posted:

So do you want play as Yoshi in MK8?

He gets really confused if someone plays as Yoshi in Smash Brothers, sort of like if I put a cell phone on speaker and he hears my wife talking to him through what, to him, is just a toy.

Jack Forge
Sep 27, 2012

where the red fern gropes posted:

Yes, Coozie always holds her food in her right.

Clary
Jan 6, 2011

What are birds?
We just don't know.

This bird is the sweetest doofiest thing ever, and still looks so youthful! I hope Skillet ages so well.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

So, yesterday, Yoshi was being a smol birb, which is very unlike him, and I wondered if it was the heat for awhile, so we let him splash around in some water, and let him drink some ice water, and in general tried to keep him cool, but he still stayed very little and didn't puff up. He flew back and forth between the couch and his stand and screamed, like he wanted something, but I couldn't figure out what it was.

Finally, it was his bed time, so I took him in to say goodnight to my wife, and then I said goodnight to him, and when I went to put him back in his cage, instead of just hesitating like "But I want to stay up late and watch movies," he flew to his stand, and it was only then that I noticed that, somehow, there was a beetle on the bottom of his cage. I grabbed a tissue and picked up the bug, and showed him his cage so he'd know he was safe, but it wasn't until I crushed the bug (and immediately after I did) that he started whistling happily and puffed up.

I think this bird likes pests less than I do :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Someone went for a bit of a fly today, after being startled by a plastic bag.

I whistled around, and got no answer, so I started the manual search and found a very shell-shocked cockatiel in the bathroom sitting on my pyjamas, still trying to figure out how she'd managed to fly so far.