Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
This whole time I'm playing, I keep thinking about how much I wish this game were in first person. Geralt, you're in the loving way again! Does the third person ever perform any kind of function that couldn't be conveyed in first person (aside from cutscenes, I mean)? I guess movement would be awkward, since there is a sort of readjustment animation that happens whenever Geralt moves from one direction to another...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I loved playing Witcher 3 on a controller with Alternative Movement Response.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

kater posted:

we somehow have nazis again so thats weird.

wait was all that poo poo about them making time machines legit?

At the end of New Order they still had a significant foothold outside of Europe.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

holy poo poo

I was joking with a friend about an imaginary person saying "why aren't you killing black and Hispanic nazis, huh?" but it's all happening wtf

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

duckfarts posted:

holy poo poo

I was joking with a friend about an imaginary person saying "why aren't you killing black and Hispanic nazis, huh?" but it's all happening wtf

We're here man, Pre-orders as a political statement.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

lordfrikk posted:

I loved playing Witcher 3 on a controller with Alternative Movement Response.

This is god's intended control method

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Crabtree posted:

We're here man, Pre-orders as a political statement.

these are the children of the people who went out and bought Chick-Fil-A en masse as a protest against gay people existing

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Really Pants posted:

these are the children of the people who went out and bought Chick-Fil-A en masse as a protest against gay people existing

Consumerism as a political statement is the hot new trend that transcends political and party lines as people get lazier and lazier.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK
I took a couple month break from the game when I got to the first boss in the Witcher 3 . For some reason I couldn't beat him. Then I came back months later and beat him with in 3 tries.

Heres a video from youtube of said boss.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_2kuiJHADE

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That's why I played on Easy. I want to experience the game, not frustration.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Turd Herder posted:

I took a couple month break from the game when I got to the first boss in the Witcher 3 . For some reason I couldn't beat him. Then I came back months later and beat him with in 3 tries.

Heres a video from youtube of said boss.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_2kuiJHADE

That's a lot of effort when you can kill him in about a minute by rolling past him, heavy attacking twice and doing it again. On any difficulty.

E: Not a 'git gud' post, just saying it seems like a lot of people try to get fancy with W3 combat when you can just keep it simple and solve most problems.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There's nothing in TW3 that can't be beaten by the almighty roll + Quen abuse, and past the White Orchard the only thing that will kill you is your own boredom.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Also, for those of you playing W3 for the first time, or wanting to play it again, grab the skill that gives the dodge iframes.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK

Orv posted:

That's a lot of effort when you can kill him in about a minute by rolling past him, heavy attacking twice and doing it again. On any difficulty.

E: Not a 'git gud' post, just saying it seems like a lot of people try to get fancy with W3 combat when you can just keep it simple and solve most problems.

It was the part where he would heal himself that was causing the issues. But when i came back it wasn't a problem.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Turd Herder posted:

I died to him 4-5 times. Then I googled and found out that he doesn't keep healing forever. That was enough to change my strategy and end the fight.

Also, that's one of the main reasons I ended up writing a guide for TW3.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Turd Herder posted:

It was the part where he would heal himself that was causing the issues. But when i came back it wasn't a problem.

Yeah I don't think it's ever directly pointed out that the dogs allow him to heal, or that he only has three phases, which is kind of an overarching problem W3 boss fights have. "Time to do thing, hope you're watching!"

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Is this the guy nobody picked in the first game because your other option was the depressed, crippled, old Scotsman? Or is it a new character?

Mordja fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jun 12, 2017

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Mordja posted:

Is this the guy nobody picked in the first game because your other option was a the depressed, crippled, old Scotsman? Or is it a new character?

I think they are taking some liberty's on how the last game ended since I'm pretty sure I saw a character that def is suppose to be dead in the trailer.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

BexGu posted:

I think they are taking some liberty's on how the last game ended since I'm pretty sure I saw a character that def is suppose to be dead in the trailer.
The announcement post on Bethesda.net mentions "Fergus or Wyatt" among the cast of returning characters, so I suspect there's either save importing or you'll have to make your choice again.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

The Kins posted:

The announcement post on Bethesda.net mentions "Fergus or Wyatt" among the cast of returning characters, so I suspect there's either save importing or you'll have to make your choice again.

It has to be making the choice again, probably in some kind of flashback maybe. No way they'll make save importing system for single choice plus you can have both Wyatt and Fergus saved because they are separate timelines on single save.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

SinineSiil posted:

It has to be making the choice again, probably in some kind of flashback maybe. No way they'll make save importing system for single choice plus you can have both Wyatt and Fergus saved because they are separate timelines on single save.

Which is the one that leads to Jimmy Hendrix joining your rebel group?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Rirse posted:

Which is the one that leads to Jimmy Hendrix joining your rebel group?

Wyatt gives you Hendrix, Fergus gives you Tekla who also owns.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

dmboogie posted:

Wyatt gives you Hendrix, Fergus gives you Tekla who also owns.

Wyatt is the worse character but I am not giving up the Hendrix scenes for love nor money...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLE8MXDQ_nI

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

So it turns out that my list for the month includes a bunch of smaller indie adventures that... aren't so good. It's going to be kind of a bleak week as a result, but everyone's going to be all up in E3 anyway. Today's is probably the worst of the lot, just because everything it does wrong, it seems to do on purpose.

1. Primordia
2. Black Mirror III
3. Puzzle Agent
4. Puzzle Agent 2
5. The Silent Age
6. Else Heart.Break()
7. The Sea Will Claim Everything

8. A New Beginning - Final Cut

How do you suppose the world is going to end? Here in the thick of 2017 we have more options than ever, but climate change is certainly a popular one. That's the angle that A New Beginning takes, the fight against a ruined future fought in the trenches of environmental science and politics. But it turns out that it's not fracking or carbon that's going to do us in. No, what truly dooms the world are the absolutely lovely people you have to deal with throughout this adventure, people so repugnant that you almost can't help but lie back and wait for everyone to die.

A New Beginning opens in the fjords of Norway with Bent Svensson, a reclusive scientist who gave up his hopes of a green future to grumble about how much he hates his life. A mysterious woman named Fay shows up on his doorstep to recount a mad tale of a future destroyed by climate change and a desperate quest through time to prevent it. While most of the action takes place in flashbacks there are plenty of interludes with Bent and Fay, eventually leading to the actions in the present that will determine the fate of humanity.

There's a chance that all sounds pretty neat, so let's go back to Bent's grumblings real quick. While puttering around in the makeshift prologue tutorial, Bent is going to harangue you constantly about his failures as a scientist, his failures as a father, and his failure to actually do anything about any of it. When Fay shows up, instead of helping kick-start his long-dead motivation, the first thing she does is call him an idiot for accidentally harming a bird. And then later, Bent's therapist calls him and actively discourages him from improving his life in an absolutely INFURIATING dialogue where you are forced to say something stupid and self-harming. I almost quit on the spot, but somehow regrettably soldiered on.

Now let's fast forward to chapter 2 and Fay's efforts to determine the cause of the apocalypse. She's joined by two teammates, one of which is the most hostile, dismissive, and venomous ally I've ever had in a video game. There's not a hint of humor to it, either; he hates Fay, fully thinks her useless, ridicules her (your) efforts to do anything, and twists her accomplishments to his own ends. He's a wholly reprehensible human being, and your other teammate is a depthless doormat who defers to Captain rear end in a top hat in every conflict. At this point, my regret was palpable.

Doesn't that sound like fun? Trying to save the planet with a gaggle of shitheads who resent your successes? Bent is no better, constantly picking apart Fay's stories and belittling her conclusions. And Fay herself vacillates between woman of action and gormless simpleton, plowing through puzzles as you direct her but often being caught off-guard or making terrible, baseless assumptions about anything new. And I'm not even digging into the worst of this compost pile... To progress the plot, Fay will happily sabotage her own allies, and one of said allies will at one point murder an innocent in cold blood.

I cannot stress enough how disgusting the story beats and interactions between these people are. Every one of them is awful in their own way, and their lines come off as entirely divested from reality with ill-timed snark and bizarre exceptions to the strangest things. I'm sure something is being lost in translation here but there's no way that can account for the abject unpleasantness of every person you are forced to interact with. And, AND, this idiocy extends to the over-arching plot which isn't content to just let climate change happen as it's happening, but ties the apocalypse to a baselessly alarmist doomsday scenario involving a nuclear power plant. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that writers who can't even make people sound like people don't know the first thing about environmental science, but it is shocking just how angry the ignorance on display could make me.

In mechanical terms, A New Beginning is on the lower end of point-and-click competence anyway. The interface is clear enough, and most of the puzzles make sense and provide decent challenges. However, just about every chapter has at least one puzzle or sequence where what you need to do is clear, but the solution requires an extra twist of complexity that only the developers would think of. One example is when you have to power up a hand-held laser drill. There's a whole bit about locating a battery and a power interface that should do the trick, except you ALSO have to change the focusing lens by carving a chunk out of something that the game warns you is rickety and should not be messed with, and can only be interacted with at one tiny corner.

The art isn't bad with its clean items, expansive backdrops, and detailed characters, though the animations have a pretty severe lack of frames. Sound does its job as well, and I admit they got decent voice actors for this, even if their lines and direction are awful. A New Beginning would be a tolerable adventure game if it wasn't filled to the brim with intolerable morons slogging through an equally moronic story. After the prologue got my blood pressure up I stuck it out maybe a third of the way through the game, but not only did the aggravations not let up, they found new ways to infuriate me. Honestly, if playing through A New Beginning were the only way to avert the apocalypse, I'd rather just die and get it over with.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
what games do you get to kill nazis besides the wolfensteins?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Doorknob Slobber posted:

what games do you get to kill nazis besides the wolfensteins?

I mean, you know, any WW2 game.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
im making a list of sjw games to boycott so this is good

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Doorknob Slobber posted:

im making a list of sjw games to boycott so this is good

In Tetris, the straight piece is superior to all the other pieces.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Drifter posted:

Not really, there are too many holes it won't go into.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Drifter posted:

It's actually the t piece

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
The best piece in Tetris is the piece the game won't spawn when you need it the most come the gently caress on.

Throw me a bone here, dancing Cossack guy, I'm dying.

RadioDog
May 31, 2005
I may be alone in thinking TNO enemies were insufferable bullet sponges (too many robot/armored soldiers) but if they can give Wolf2 the Doom treatment I'm all for it. Doom is about how fast I want to be killing things in FPS from now on.

Sand Dan
May 15, 2017

welcum 2 our
sick cyberpunk h e l l

QuarkJets posted:

:perfect:

For real I can't wait for someone to accuse wolfenstein-guy of being a SJW

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198040112987/recommended/201810/

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

It's actually the t piece
I know T-spins are the optimal strategy but Puyo Tetris got me into a habit of storing an I block then building a giant vertical gap to drop two of them in a row. Until I ran into the pros online it worked pretty well.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I did a search through Games and didn't see much talk about Northgard. Mostly just people asking if anyone has played it and no responses. So, I figured I'd do the same. Has anyone played it? Is it any good?

[Edit: Which is all surprising to me, considering the game has a 91% positive review ratio on Steam.]

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 12, 2017

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got

meatsaw posted:

I may be alone in thinking TNO enemies were insufferable bullet sponges (too many robot/armored soldiers) but if they can give Wolf2 the Doom treatment I'm all for it. Doom is about how fast I want to be killing things in FPS from now on.
Sorry I can't remember if this is true I was busy BLOWING UP MOON NAZIS' HEADS WITH AUTOMATIC SHOTGUNS

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3bENBYSucQ

Finally an actual expansion.

Piekuuns
May 15, 2009

I've just noticed BJ has a seam around the neck. His original body is definitely dead. Just look cat/monkey hybrid hinting at that.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Piekuuns posted:

I've just noticed BJ has a seam around the neck.

:confused: No he doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Piekuuns posted:

I've just noticed BJ has a seam around the neck. His original body is definitely dead. Just look cat/monkey hybrid hinting at that.

If head transplants are a thing in Wolfenstein I GUARANTEE we're going to see Hitler's head grafted onto someone/thing.

• Locked thread