Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Console commands aren't allowed in Survival.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Gynovore posted:

There's all kinds of mods that make getting settlement supplies a non issue.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Gynovore posted:

Just use the mod to enable it. It's not like you won't need to toggle clipping when you inevitably get stuck somewhere.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Wouldn't scrapall break the power supply?

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Have I encountered a Far Harbour bug?
I met old Longfellow and started the trip to head to Arcadia.
I had Valentine with me. Sent him to Longfellow's cabin. I'd not been to the cabin before. Made it to Arcadia. Went to the cabin, can't find Valentine anywhere at all.

Ugh.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
If you have the vault 88 expac then you can look up his position on a computer

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I don't... never even heard of that. Will look it up.

Now this is odd. I previously cleared Corvega plant before I had a mission. Got the safe key etc from Jared. Preston has now given me the quest. Not sure what to do as I've killed all the raiders I can find inside. Am I missing something? Quest marker keeps pointing me inside though. Hmmmmmm...

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

moist turtleneck posted:

If you have the vault 88 expac then you can look up his position on a computer

The Vault-tec population management system is more worth it than the rest of the expansion combined.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

MikeJF posted:

The Vault-tec population management system is more worth it than the rest of the expansion combined.

It circumvents a lot of the bugginess, but not all of it.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

BadAstronaut posted:

I don't... never even heard of that. Will look it up.

Now this is odd. I previously cleared Corvega plant before I had a mission. Got the safe key etc from Jared. Preston has now given me the quest. Not sure what to do as I've killed all the raiders I can find inside. Am I missing something? Quest marker keeps pointing me inside though. Hmmmmmm...

Whenever you get a random Radiant quest to "go kill those guys", there's actually just one boss guy you have to kill. The Corvega quest has you kill Jared the first time around, if it's been reset then it's just a random dude.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
Just picked up the game when it was on sale, having fun farming garbage so far, but since people brought up the Corvega plant I thought there was something kind of dumb about the level design. The first time I went in I explored around a bit and found the side door, on the assumption that good game design should reward exploration, so this entrance should be better than running in the front door and maybe I'll find some turret controls or something. Instead I find myself on a catwalk being shot at by 12 people directly below me that I can't even see. Go in the door above the main door and find myself between two large rooms full of people coming at me from both sides. Finally work my way down to the front door and find that there are only a couple of people inside and that would have been the easiest way. Whoever said that the designers really want you to play this their way wasn't kidding, it seems like the front door is even easier than the sewer entrance.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

thekeeshman posted:

Just picked up the game when it was on sale, having fun farming garbage so far, but since people brought up the Corvega plant I thought there was something kind of dumb about the level design. The first time I went in I explored around a bit and found the side door, on the assumption that good game design should reward exploration, so this entrance should be better than running in the front door and maybe I'll find some turret controls or something. Instead I find myself on a catwalk being shot at by 12 people directly below me that I can't even see. Go in the door above the main door and find myself between two large rooms full of people coming at me from both sides. Finally work my way down to the front door and find that there are only a couple of people inside and that would have been the easiest way. Whoever said that the designers really want you to play this their way wasn't kidding, it seems like the front door is even easier than the sewer entrance.

Corvega was just awful, I remember wandering around in circles trying to find the last guy or whatever. It's definitely not structured like a Deus Ex level or something where it's a structure in a larger world but still also clearly an FPS map with side entrances and options.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

thekeeshman posted:

The run-up to the front door takes you past turrets and a rooftop full of molotovs, so that's the trade off with the basement.

Did you need to go through downtown Lexington to get to the side door? Trying to picture where it might have been, but if not you're also down some ghoul packs and power armor with a fat man compared to either "main" door.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Glazius posted:

The run-up to the front door takes you past turrets and a rooftop full of molotovs, so that's the trade off with the basement.

Did you need to go through downtown Lexington to get to the side door? Trying to picture where it might have been, but if not you're also down some ghoul packs and power armor with a fat man compared to either "main" door.

Off the top of my head the only 'side door' at the Corvega plant I can think of is located near the assembly line and is chained off from the inside. There is also the main entrance and then a second door right above it then a hatch on the roof to the far right (if facing the front of the building) that take you in nearby. Then the sewer entrance.

I think there may also be another door off to the side, nearby all those catwalks around the smoke stack but I may be thinking if another location.

You don't need to go through Lexington to access any of them. Since the plant is on the edge of town you can just go around to avoid the ghouls and Far Man wielding raider if you want. The location is designed for a higher level character but I don't think I've ever had an issue over lvl 10+, I wouldn't run there first thing out of the Vault though.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Glazius posted:

I'm talking about the door on the right side by all the catwalks and the skybridge over the driveway. There were plenty of people around that area before I sniped them all along with the people around the front door, so I don't think it would have been any easier to get to than the front door. It just seems like a strange design decision, or maybe I played too much Mankind Divided.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

shovelbum posted:

Corvega was just awful, I remember wandering around in circles trying to find the last guy or whatever.

Currently got this quest in my quest log and STILL stuck because of exactly this issue. Just can't find the remaining raiders to kill. Considering putting a point into VANS just so I can get some kind of direction to him.

You guys tried V.A.N.S? Is it at all worth it? I finished the last game without needing it at all, and to spend an entire level up on this perk just to finish Corvega seems dumb. But with around an hour sunk into trying to find this guy, I'm frustrated...

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

drat, you guys would be screwed playing old resident evil games

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

BadAstronaut posted:

Currently got this quest in my quest log and STILL stuck because of exactly this issue. Just can't find the remaining raiders to kill. Considering putting a point into VANS just so I can get some kind of direction to him.

You guys tried V.A.N.S? Is it at all worth it? I finished the last game without needing it at all, and to spend an entire level up on this perk just to finish Corvega seems dumb. But with around an hour sunk into trying to find this guy, I'm frustrated...

I thought the last guy was in the assembly room at the top of the plant, across that bridge you needed to extend? There should be a lot of guys in there.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

hawowanlawow posted:

drat, you guys would be screwed playing old resident evil games

I played my first RE game (RE2) five years ago, and it was surprisingly accessible. Good design shines through aging graphics and antiquated controls.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

thekeeshman posted:

I'm talking about the door on the right side by all the catwalks and the skybridge over the driveway. There were plenty of people around that area before I sniped them all along with the people around the front door, so I don't think it would have been any easier to get to than the front door. It just seems like a strange design decision, or maybe I played too much Mankind Divided.

You really can't compare Fallout with DXMD. Any Deus Ex game gives you seventeen different entrances to any given situation, in Fallout you're lucky to get more than one.

A dude posted:

You guys tried V.A.N.S? Is it at all worth it?

VANS sucks. The quest marker is all you need.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I love vans some of those places are a pain to navigate when you just want to Get the Quest Done

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

BadAstronaut posted:

If I remember right, Corvega is the one that for some reason has an entire floor of the factory only accessible through the elevator.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

isndl posted:

If I remember right, Corvega is the one that for some reason has an entire floor of the factory only accessible through the elevator.

There's stairs up there, if you are referring to where Jared is set up with the turrets.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Remora posted:

There's stairs up there, if you are referring to where Jared is set up with the turrets.

No idea, I haven't gone there in ages so I don't know who you're referring to. There's multiple places with turrets. :v:

My distinct impression was that the extra floor via elevator was below the main floor where you come in.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

isndl posted:

Easiest way to clear Corvega factory at low level:

Get a good sniper rifle. Go to the freeway overpass, make like Bob Lee Swagger and kill everyone. Go down and go in the main entry, disarm the obvious boobytrap. Go forward, kill dudes, turn left, kill dudes, go down stairs, take elevator. Sneak foreward and turn on the Protectron. While the raiders are distracted fighting the robot, snipe everyone and the turrets. Killing Jared completes the quest.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

You can also grab a few mines and use the tight corridors around the drainage entrance to thin out the herd

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

So once I smack the heads off the gang leaders, do the raiders in the other five parks vanish? Or do I have to go clear them out one-by-one?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

On a related note: ahahahah you still get the Lover's Embrace perk if you sleep near their corpse.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

MikeJF posted:

So once I smack the heads off the gang leaders, do the raiders in the other five parks vanish? Or do I have to go clear them out one-by-one?

If you assigned the park to a raider gang, they will continue to populate the park after Open Season is completed. Source: Had to kill a bunch of Operators to get my gorram Quantum armor.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Are the triggers for quest-based DLC placed inconspicuously in the world or are you pointed towards them fairly directly?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

snoremac posted:

Are the triggers for quest-based DLC placed inconspicuously in the world or are you pointed towards them fairly directly?

Directly. You gotta listen to radio stations to get the map marker but that's all. There's level requirements before the radio station becomes available as well.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Volkerball posted:

Directly. You gotta listen to radio stations to get the map marker but that's all. There's level requirements before the radio station becomes available as well.

Great, thanks.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Stray frag mines in survival mode can get hosed.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Survival mode might as well be called 'permanent sneak mode' and you basically need to bum rush which ever rank gives you the ability to not set off mines pretty much ASAP. Molotovs will remain a one-hit kill for the duration though, at least until you get high-end power armor (then it's a two-hit kill).

I also recommend Chemist for survival, being able to slow time is incredibly useful when you can't save/reload on the fly.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Giving this a reinstall. Any mods I should be using? I already completed the main quest, so I'm mostly after:

1. A mod to make Preston Garvey only give me quests that actually have a proper reward

2. A mod to disable the main quest

3. Any generally-agreed-good rebalance or bugfix mods

Edit: Crap, didn't realise there was a modding thread

Gort fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jun 13, 2017

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Wolfsheim posted:

Survival mode might as well be called 'permanent sneak mode' and you basically need to bum rush which ever rank gives you the ability to not set off mines pretty much ASAP. Molotovs will remain a one-hit kill for the duration though, at least until you get high-end power armor (then it's a two-hit kill).

I also recommend Chemist for survival, being able to slow time is incredibly useful when you can't save/reload on the fly.

Eh, I already lowered the difficulty. There was too much stuff I was too underpowered to explore and the stress of having to find beds to save was killing my enjoyment.

The combat was generally more fun though. I really enjoyed the Concord mission.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jun 13, 2017

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Gort posted:

Giving this a reinstall. Any mods I should be using? I already completed the main quest, so I'm mostly after:

1. A mod to make Preston Garvey only give me quests that actually have a proper reward

2. A mod to disable the main quest

3. Any generally-agreed-good rebalance or bugfix mods

For 1 and 2, just ignore them. You don't even have to go into the Museum of Freedom.

For the last one, FO4 is as close to playable out of the box as any Bethesda game has even been. There are really no huge bugs or balance issues. The only overpowered stuff I can think of are power armor and Overseer's Guardian, so just don;t use them.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Gynovore posted:

For 1 and 2, just ignore them. You don't even have to go into the Museum of Freedom.

For the last one, FO4 is as close to playable out of the box as any Bethesda game has even been. There are really no huge bugs or balance issues. The only overpowered stuff I can think of are power armor and Overseer's Guardian, so just don;t use them.

I ended up installing:

Weapons of Fate
Towbie's Realistic Weapon Sounds
Faraway Area Reform
Lowered Minutemen Expectations
Armor and Weapons Keyword Community Resource
Optimized Vanilla Textures
Sim Settlements
More Where That Came From
Weapon Balance Overhaul
Natural and Atmospheric Commonwealth
Easy Hacking
More Realistic Stealth and Sneaking
Start Me Up
Full Dialogue Interface

From my list of original wants, "Lowered Minutemen Expectations" makes Preston Garvey less demanding, "Start Me Up" makes the main quest much more ignorable (I know you technically could ignore it before, but this feels better to me), and the "Weapon Balance Overhaul" looks like it should be all the rebalancing I really need.

Stuff like "Easy Hacking" is just there because I don't like the hacking minigame, and I liked the look of "Sim Settlements" - thanks SBS.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

started playing this again....... why are settlement walls so expensive.. trump didn't tell me about this, i can only get 1/100th of the way around sancutary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
And Fallout 4 being what it is, walls are purely decorative in any event, since super mutants will just spawn inside the settlement right on top of your crops most of the time.

• Locked thread