Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Timby posted:

Nah, he shows up in his completely human form briefly on the Franklin's computer log at the end; Kirk and Uhura discover it as they're investigating the crash site.

Don't forget that they actually started showing this scene in commercials before the movie even came out. Leading Simon Pegg to tell people not to actually watch advertisement for his new movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Phylodox posted:

I feel like Beyond would have made a better fifth or sixth movie. The whole "This life in space is wearing so thin! Ennui-i-i-i-i-i!" would have played better with a more established, world-weary cast.

Also would have played better if Kirk's boring retirement wasn't running a crazy mega-city station on the edge of known space.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Also would have played better if Kirk's boring retirement wasn't running a crazy mega-city station on the edge of known space.

And if the destruction of the Enterprise had had some real gravity to it, a story climax. In Beyond, it was just "Here's a scene showing how dangerous and powerful the villains are to establish the threat."

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The villain is forgettable, but Beyond has great character moments for almost all of the cast. Urban's McCoy finally gets the spotlight he deserves and Pine gives a great Kirk performance with an actual motivation. It's a fun film.

Yeah, Beyond's biggest strength is that everybody had a lot of stuff to do.

Phylodox posted:

I feel like Beyond would have made a better fifth or sixth movie. The whole "This life in space is wearing so thin! Ennui-i-i-i-i-i!" would have played better with a more established, world-weary cast.

Every time I watch it (usually when I watch one of the reboot movies, I wind up going through all three) that feels like Pegg and Jung making a direct response to Orci and Kurtzman basically hitting a reset button with Into Darkness, where everyone was back to where they were at the beginning of '09: Kirk's still an arrogant rear end, Kirk and Spock are right back to hating each other's guts, etc. Pegg and Urban were both vocally unhappy with Into Darkness (to the point that Urban considered trying to get out of his contract until he read the Beyond script), and I think Pegg / Jung really wanted to move ahead after Into Darkness was all "five years in deep space! Five years in deep space!" ... and yet the entire movie takes place over the course of like two and a half days.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I think I said this before somewhere, but I think Beyond's biggest failing was it trying to have its cake and eat it, too. It wanted to play the "we've been at this so long, we're all so close, and this space thing is getting old" while effectively only being the third movie in the series. It wanted to recreate the camaraderie and introspection of the old Star Trek movies without the decades' worth of TV and film to back it up. Because, yes, these are versions of those well-loved characters, but with the reboot they've effectively become new characters, as well, so Beyond kind of felt like it was trying to cash in on the series' long history without earning it. But maybe that's just my take on it.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Beyond seemed to me like a good old fashioned fun Star Trek adventure, like a classic episode, streamlined, punched up and turned into a good time action movie. It's good is what i'm saying

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
So The Mummy's domestic opening of $32 million was better than Dracula Untold's $23m opening but wayyyyy worse than any of the Brendan Fraser 90s/00s trilogy (The Mummy Returns more than doubled it) but it couldn't even match the $36m opening of the lovely WWE co-produced spinoff The Scorpion King. LMAO

Pictured: a film that did twice as well on opening weekend as Tom Cruise's The Mummy and managed to have a sequel and four spinoffs
http://i.imgur.com/j8Yey0p.gifv

Fun fact: The Scorpion King actually made a modest box office profit and had three sequels which were all direct-to-DVD junk made on shoestring budgets with a crazy cast of people like Ron Perlman, Rutger Hauer, Temuera Morrison, Dave Bautista, Lou Ferrigno and Billy Zane.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jun 12, 2017

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Tom Cruise being a lunatic on Oprah killed his domestic drawing power and I'm not sure why anybody would be foolish enough to try to have him spearhead a new franchise. The Mission Impossible movies had a built in audience by that point, but he is pretty solidly a B-lister these days.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Simplex posted:

Tom Cruise being a lunatic on Oprah killed his domestic drawing power and I'm not sure why anybody would be foolish enough to try to have him spearhead a new franchise. The Mission Impossible movies had a built in audience by that point, but he is pretty solidly a B-lister these days.

Not in Europe. Nobody cares about Oprah here.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
That was like 10 years ago. Who cares

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

So The Mummy's domestic opening of $32 million was better than Dracula Untold's $23m opening but wayyyyy worse than any of the Brendan Fraser 90s/00s trilogy (The Mummy Returns more than doubled it) but it couldn't even match the $36m opening of the lovely WWE co-produced spinoff The Scorpion King. LMAO

Pictured: a film that did twice as well on opening weekend as Tom Cruise's The Mummy and managed to have a sequel and four spinoffs
http://i.imgur.com/j8Yey0p.gifv

Fun fact: The Scorpion King actually made a modest box office profit and had three sequels which were all direct-to-DVD junk made on shoestring budgets with a crazy cast of people like Ron Perlman, Rutger Hauer, Temuera Morrison, Dave Bautista, Lou Ferrigno and Billy Zane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnVPUK-8P0M

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Simplex posted:

It's more of this movie looked really lame and people still had a slight interest in the Sommers films. They weren't gone from the mind.

Even the title treatment they used is some weak boring poo poo.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I knew Arnold Vosloo and Billy Zane looked like clones of each other, but that is just insulting. Edit: Oh, looks like his role wasn't some sort of mummy.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

The Mummy chat:

He becomes a weird amalgamation of the Mummy and Van Helsing, but at the same time not really being either. He's definitely undead by that point (he actually dies twice in the film) and the last time we see him he's riding a horse across the desert wrapped head to toe in Bedouin robes and wrappings with only his eyes showing. He's also immortal, is apparently possessed by an evil Death God and has some weird undefined powers over the dead. But he also has the power to detect evil monsters and Jekyll is pretty certain that means he'll wander the earth tracking down and defeating monsters.

That actually sounds kinda cool, mummy who is a monster hunter but come on no one gonna be intimidated by a 5'8 mummy

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mierenneuker posted:

I knew Arnold Vosloo and Billy Zane looked like clones of each other, but that is just insulting. Edit: Oh, looks like his role wasn't some sort of mummy.

Yeah that should have been a no brainer but I guess it's a bit too much to expect the guy who also directed Death Race 4, 12 Rounds 2 and Behind Enemy Lines 4: Seal Team 8 to be making intelligent decisions about movies. :v:

Ammanas posted:

That actually sounds kinda cool, mummy who is a monster hunter but come on no one gonna be intimidated by a 5'8 mummy

Checks out, Sofia Boutella is only 5'5 and she wasn't intimidating either :haw:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jun 12, 2017

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I hope the DARK UNIVERSE continues to exist so we can witness the studio's struggle to find tinier and ever tinier actors for their monsters. Peter Dinklage as Frankenstein (monster or doctor, take your pick) would raise the stakes a lot.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Dracula, played by Clint Howard.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I saw The Mummy this weekend and I didn't hate it? The narrative device was loving terrible but it felt like there was a good movie buried in there.

the amount of exposition and flashbacks were horrible and them leaning so hard on the shared universe thing with Jekyll felt like a mistake. Like I thought they were going to hint at Hyde but nah he's almost going crazy on their first meeting. There was some fun horror stuff in the movie and I enjoyed some of the set pieces. Even cursed dead buddy showing up as a friendly jerk ghost felt like a fun idea. But god drat what a mess of a movie this turned out to be.

The ending would have been good but bringing the buddy back to life and having him explicitly thank you for bringing him back to life was just... eh. Completely unearned and with no emotional weight. My guess (if they do more of these) is that they'll have Tom Cruise as a Mummy/VanHelsing hybrid character who'll need to awaken the Mummy again to learn about his powers.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Grendels Dad posted:

I hope the DARK UNIVERSE continues to exist so we can witness the studio's struggle to find tinier and ever tinier actors for their monsters. Peter Dinklage as Frankenstein (monster or doctor, take your pick) would raise the stakes a lot.

Peter Dinklage as the doctor and Ron Perlman as Igor.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Verne Troyer as the wolfman.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You can't cast a cinematic universe without HHH, guys. He would of course be Alucard.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Simplex posted:

If you look at this list, can you tell when Oprah happened?

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/people/chart/?id=tomcruise.htm

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The only other time one of his movies has made less than $50 million in the last, like 20 years was in Rock Of Ages, which I don't think anyone was expecting to be super profitable. The Oprah thing was barely a hiccup. It tarnished his image but not his profitability.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Yeah, pre-Oprah his private life was very well-controlled and maintained by his people, post-Oprah is when that poo poo went completely bonkers. He's always been a deft hand at choosing his roles when it comes to either stretching himself or reaching for mass appeal, with the obvious ups and downs most actors have.

Overall, Cruise has a shockingly solid filmography. I think there are only about 4 or 5 movies of his that I don't like and even in those he's good.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I didn't think the Oprah thing tarnished his image so much as the contentious Matt Lauer interview a few days later. I don't really think housewives were up in arms at him jumping up and down so excited by how much he was in love. It was just fun to mock on the internet.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I saw The Mummy this weekend and I didn't hate it? The narrative device was loving terrible but it felt like there was a good movie buried in there.

the amount of exposition and flashbacks were horrible and them leaning so hard on the shared universe thing with Jekyll felt like a mistake. Like I thought they were going to hint at Hyde but nah he's almost going crazy on their first meeting. There was some fun horror stuff in the movie and I enjoyed some of the set pieces. Even cursed dead buddy showing up as a friendly jerk ghost felt like a fun idea. But god drat what a mess of a movie this turned out to be.

The ending would have been good but bringing the buddy back to life and having him explicitly thank you for bringing him back to life was just... eh. Completely unearned and with no emotional weight. My guess (if they do more of these) is that they'll have Tom Cruise as a Mummy/VanHelsing hybrid character who'll need to awaken the Mummy again to learn about his powers.

Yeah, they badly needed to excise most of that shared universe setup. Especially having Hyde show up to fight Nick for one scene just felt pointless. Introduce Jekyll in the movie, sure (but take out all that loving voice-over exposition and replace it with scenes that actually build up the characters in the movie), but turning into Hyde now adds nothing to this movie's plot or characters. Maybe leave that for a post-credits stinger or something if you really want to be coy with it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

RLM theorized the reason for all the voice over was the film was designed for an international audience so having exposition in narration is a much more efficient way of getting information delivered across language and cultural barriers.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Their point about the Egypt thing was interesting. For a movie called The Mummy, it hardly looked like one. I think there's two or so shots in the trailer that show the pyramids and all that. The rest is London, a plane, a forest and the Avengers lair thing. It is odd.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

LesterGroans posted:

Overall, Cruise has a shockingly solid filmography. I think there are only about 4 or 5 movies of his that I don't like and even in those he's good.

I've said it before, if you just wanna watch a movie but can't pick, just pick a Tom Cruise movie because on average they're great. I wouldn't even call myself a fan, but I can't deny he's got just about the most solid filmography of any working film star.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

RLM theorized the reason for all the voice over was the film was designed for an international audience so having exposition in narration is a much more efficient way of getting information delivered across language and cultural barriers.

That's a really interesting theory, and a pretty clever way to make your film multi-purpose.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Also another thing that felt could have been good was tom's character having those mirages/visions as he was influenced by the mummy. I get what they were going for but they ended structuring it too neatly and they never attempted to blur the line of what was a vision and what was real. So you simply end up with a vision where something freaky happen followed by a clean cut to Tom "waking" up into reality. Then it happens 3 more times so you can tell exactly when each vision is happening.

A better approach would have been to blur these situations/scenes to show Tom going crazy from the mummy's influence. Also showing the craziness from Jenny's perspective would have helped a bit. Honestly the ENTIRE movie being framed from Tom's character was a mistake.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I haven't paid attention if voice over and flashbacks are a thing in my country's movies, but considering we have some oscar winning directors that sometimes do weird poo poo and that we LOVE...yeah, nah. My guess is that, in my case, the movie sold because of Tom and because sometimes people like to see some stupid action movie (Transformers is a super hit here).

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Honestly the ENTIRE movie was a mistake.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

I remember when this came out, the movie bragged "our model of The Rock looks better than even the (WWF Game That Was Coming Out Soon) could do!"
Literally comparing their CGI to a PS3 game.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Not even that, PS2.

Not lying though!

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I cannot find the guy bragging about it on the internet! I swear it was on the dvd, though.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

well why not posted:

The only other time one of his movies has made less than $50 million in the last, like 20 years was in Rock Of Ages, which I don't think anyone was expecting to be super profitable. The Oprah thing was barely a hiccup. It tarnished his image but not his profitability.

Honestly, it seems what's hurt him most is his obsession with franchises for the last ten years, or at least his attempts to start new ones up. Like he realized Mission Impossible is the only movie of his that still succeeds so he just keeps trying to replicate it. He was pushing for a Tropic Thunder sequel starring himself instead, he's gotten a third Jack Reacher and sequels for Edge of Tomorrow and Top Gun into development. Though I don't know how much of it is Cruise or the toxic culture he built around himself.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Avengers did it better, of course, but I did dig how, in The Mummy, Tom Cruise uses his power to bring back that lady back to life by screaming at her, simply because he has literally no idea what he's doing with regards to said powers.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The Tom Cruise Oprah thing is really a shame because apparently the energy in the room fed it. The crowd was totally going nuts for it but once you watch it in the comfort of your living room/on your phone, it just seems insane. Here's an interesting article about that and while I don't agree with everything in it, I promise you the article is decent and not as bad as the terrible headline and teaser make it seem.

http://www.laweekly.com/news/how-youtube-and-internet-journalism-destroyed-tom-cruise-our-last-real-movie-star-4656549

It makes some really keen observations about what happened with Cruise (who is a genuine weirdo but ultimately of the harmless variety).

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Phylodox posted:

I think I said this before somewhere, but I think Beyond's biggest failing was it trying to have its cake and eat it, too. It wanted to play the "we've been at this so long, we're all so close, and this space thing is getting old" while effectively only being the third movie in the series. It wanted to recreate the camaraderie and introspection of the old Star Trek movies without the decades' worth of TV and film to back it up. Because, yes, these are versions of those well-loved characters, but with the reboot they've effectively become new characters, as well, so Beyond kind of felt like it was trying to cash in on the series' long history without earning it. But maybe that's just my take on it.

Yeah, that's absolutely why I don't like the new films. The reboot was great because it gave them the excuse to ignore all previously established canon and just do what they want, but apparently what they wanted to do wasn't Star Trek, it was just Generic Space Action Movie In Space. Without the trappings of Star Trek, literally nobody would bother to go see them, and therefore these characters are just assumed to have the same interpersonal relationships and attitudes towards one another that the original versions did, even though they're not the original versions. Quinto's not playing Spock, he's playing Nimoy playing Spock. Urban isn't playing McCoy, he's playing Kelly playing McCoy. It's the laziest way to establish characterization, letting the previous films do the heavy-lifting and just carrying everything over even though these guys haven't been on a 5-year mission and thus gotten to know each other and become friends yet. It's just "Oh of course they're friends, they're Spock and Kirk and McCoy" even though the characters have no idea who these fuckin' guys are yet.

Also I'm really getting tired of blowing up the Enterprise, big doomsday weapons that take forever to unfold and fire their movie-ending shot, thus giving the good guys time to escape from a seemingly-doomed situation and save the day, and evil Starfleet admirals.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It makes some really keen observations about what happened with Cruise (who is a genuine weirdo but ultimately of the harmless variety).

No. The Church of Scientology has literally murdered people by tying them to a bed and dehydrating them. Cruise knows every bit of the evil, evil poo poo they do, and they were even going to assign him a new girlfriend after he broke up with Nicole Kidman. You don't rise to his level in such an evil organization and get to be considered harmless. Going Clear doesn't even cover the worst of the things they've done.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The Tom Cruise Oprah thing is really a shame because apparently the energy in the room fed it. The crowd was totally going nuts for it but once you watch it in the comfort of your living room/on your phone, it just seems insane. Here's an interesting article about that and while I don't agree with everything in it, I promise you the article is decent and not as bad as the terrible headline and teaser make it seem.

http://www.laweekly.com/news/how-youtube-and-internet-journalism-destroyed-tom-cruise-our-last-real-movie-star-4656549

His celebrity does aid in recruiting for a cult, so he's not entirely harmless.

• Locked thread