Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Listening to some older episodes I passed over at the moment (at 1x speed) and I genuinely think Tom unironically likes the mighty mighty bosstones but just can't admit it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Hey I discovered the best show a few months ago from Hollywood Handbook and have been going through listening to all the old episodes, and just realized that this thread exists.

I'm wondering if anyone knows what the soundbite is that Tom uses for the good @bestshow submissions, where I think it says "everybody out of the tunnel!"

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

peepsalot posted:

Hey I discovered the best show a few months ago from Hollywood Handbook and have been going through listening to all the old episodes, and just realized that this thread exists.

I'm wondering if anyone knows what the soundbite is that Tom uses for the good @bestshow submissions, where I think it says "everybody out of the tunnel!"

It's Larry David screaming "EVERYBODY OUT OF THE CHUNNEL!" from the episode of Seinfeld where they go see "Chunnel"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUPu70uC8Bk&t=27s

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

JethroMcB posted:

It's Larry David screaming "EVERYBODY OUT OF THE CHUNNEL!" from the episode of Seinfeld where they go see "Chunnel"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUPu70uC8Bk&t=27s
Nice, thanks!

I've got a couple other random references from sound collages that I have been wondering the context of:
AP Mike asking while cracking up "do you have puppy dogs?"
caller and tom going back and forth with a melody "da na na, da na na, da na na na na"
and the "i need it in the morning... ladies, you gotta give it up" guy

SolamenteDoug
Mar 26, 2017

Do you have puppy dogs was from AP Mike appreciation day I think, which was a later day WFMU episode.

The "da na na na" is a kid singing Coheed and Cambria to Tom.

The last one is Andy Kindler's Pigpen impersonation

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
We need another AP Mike Appreciation Night, IMO.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm a little late to the party but good god, that kazoo guy.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Never again. Who could appreciate a man guilty of Stolen Valor?

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

veni veni veni posted:

I'm a little late to the party but good god, that kazoo guy.

Such a great final hour that week. I would love more of that.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I listened to most of that ep with a Co-worker and he seemed to think it was funny but was sort of baffled by the show, then he left and the whole thing turned into pure gold. I wish I had known that was coming.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Asnorban posted:

Such a great final hour that week. I would love more of that.

Who ever said it sounded like a portal to mid 2000s best show opened up was spot on

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Seltzer posted:

Who ever said it sounded like a portal to mid 2000s best show opened up was spot on

Hell, even Tom basically made that exact remark on air.

shut up netface
Jun 15, 2008

Seltzer posted:

Who was the guy from the band who was riding his bike around to decommissioned nuclear silos in new jersey. That was a good call.

That's Dave Wyndorf of Monster Magnet. The band isn't totally my thing but rocks fuckin hard. He also is a frequent guest on The Goddamn Dave Hill Show on WFMU

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

SolamenteDoug posted:

Do you have puppy dogs was from AP Mike appreciation day I think, which was a later day WFMU episode.
"Hi, I'm Dennis" always kills me, in context it was so funny off the cuff (was that one of the four loko shows?) and it slayed me when he used it in the sound collage with Touch Me

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Hi I'm Dennis was Mike pitching his voicework talents to one of the creators of Venture Bros. - don't think it was A Loko ep but I think it was near Christmas.

Also nobody on last night's show reacted to it but Kurt Vile's impression of James Earl Jones in Field of Dreams absolutely killed me

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

WrathOfBlade posted:

Hi I'm Dennis was Mike pitching his voicework talents to one of the creators of Venture Bros. - don't think it was A Loko ep but I think it was near Christmas.

A Four Loko Carol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3wx59MFzzg&t=1091s

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I didn't finish the second half of last week's show or the HHoP, any bits worth going back for?

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
How long before we all get tired of Kazoo Man? I think I have one more call of his left in me.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I'll take kazoo man over avalanche bob any day

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Flip Yr Wig posted:

How long before we all get tired of Kazoo Man? I think I have one more call of his left in me.

Ha idk what it was but I really feel like he burned up his goodwill on this one. Instead of just being a a delightfully aggressive weirdo, he just came off as aggressive. He didn't play too well with that "you emailed me to help you out in the improv world" bit too well (and if it wasn't a bit, Tom blew up his spot pretty hard)

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Kazoo Man is better than most callers. Such is the state of the show.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Okay fine. I'll give him 2 more calls. Then I'm gonna complain.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I would say that he won't get through any more but I think Mike won't notice it's him or actively wants people like him to get through.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

this show has very few openly antagonistic callers compared to the radio days and i think angry tom is good tom

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Is there a way to time queue a bit from one of the best show episodes hosted on WFMU?

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
The Kazoo Man strikes again

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Dr.Radical posted:

The Kazoo Man strikes again

No one was a bigger champion of Kazoo Man than me but hoooly poo poo these calls genuinely make me uncomfortable now

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Well what's worse. A Kazoo Man call or Jessica from Ithaca talking about the coincidence of eating chicken while a rap group talks about how eating chicken is bad?

In Jessica's defense, at least it was not a call about how her band's show got canceled.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Kazoo man loving rules

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

JethroMcB posted:

Never again. Who could appreciate a man guilty of Stolen Valor?

Of all the poo poo Tom has pinned on Mamacita over the years, I think stolen valor might be my favorite.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

veni veni veni posted:

Of all the poo poo Tom has pinned on Mamacita over the years, I think stolen valor might be my favorite.

"He takes their money; he'll yell at other Marines, he put the highest ranking on his thing. He made a guy drop and give him 20, he told him 'I'm a General.'"

Does anybody know which episode it is where a caller brings up Stolen Valor again and you can hear Mike yelling about it in the background?

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

I had totally forgotten about this weeks Best Show Best. That kids comedy nerd levels were just too good. The kids are gonna be the saviors of the show.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tom could run some sort of call in show for kids and I would be glued to it. Although overall it's better in moderation I think.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
So I watched the pilot ep of Budding Prospects and it's making me wonder if Tom actually saw it and didn't want to call the guy who said she was really great in it a creep because it would entail mentioning that the main thing of Clare O'Kane's part is her not having any pants or underwear on or if he has not actually seen it.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Dr.Radical posted:

So I watched the pilot ep of Budding Prospects and it's making me wonder if Tom actually saw it and didn't want to call the guy who said she was really great in it a creep because it would entail mentioning that the main thing of Clare O'Kane's part is her not having any pants or underwear on or if he has not actually seen it.

IIRC it was a bit of a running gag the previous time she was on and Jon Wurster's character references it at one point.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I don't recall that at all. Was this within the past few months? Because I guess the show came out in March of this year.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Dr.Radical posted:

I don't recall that at all. Was this within the past few months? Because I guess the show came out in March of this year.

It looks like it was the April 12 episode.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
tom talks about tightening up the callers

first call is from cat from raleigh calling in to mention how lonely she is

ugh. pls tom. pls.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
E-Cigs for legs continues to hone and improve his craft. He's become a legitimately good caller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Thom and the Heads posted:

tom talks about tightening up the callers

first call is from cat from raleigh calling in to mention how lonely she is

ugh. pls tom. pls.

Word, but the show went to amazing places. Amazing Wurster call, "Conor Gravy" got Tom to break. 2 solid bad companies in a row. Another great kid.