Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

boo_radley posted:

A lot of this is available in Contacts already. You can add notes and a ton of other fields in the app, and it all syncs up to contacts.google.com

If I click more fields in just brings up a few extra fields. Am I missing a way to add my own fields?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I can click the dropdown for what a field is, select "custom", and then name the field whatever I want, such as favorite pie. I don't know if there's a limit to how many custom labels you can have.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Thermopyle posted:

It's funny that this is a thing. (happens on the 6P too)

Why is google so bad at cameras?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

peepsalot posted:

Why is google so bad at cameras?

counterpoint: the pixel

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Taffer posted:

counterpoint: the pixel

Then the question they ask becomes "Why is this phone so expensive?"

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Phosphine posted:

I can click the dropdown for what a field is, select "custom", and then name the field whatever I want, such as favorite pie. I don't know if there's a limit to how many custom labels you can have.

Wowwwww. I feel slow. That's perfect. Thank you.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
Tsyni what is your favorite pie?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Scudworth posted:

Tsyni what is your favorite pie?

Pumpkin usually, but banana cream can be pretty fantastic.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Tsyni posted:

Wowwwww. I feel slow. That's perfect. Thank you.

Man I fuckin love it when the answer to "what is an app that does this kinda weird and specific thing I want?" is "you already have the app bro"

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

So, is there a top choice for an app to manage screen brightness? I've used Lux for years, but it's a crashy mess on Android O. Obviously, O is still beta software, but Lux hasn't been updated in over a year, so I don't foresee it getting fixed. The stock Android auto-brightness is way too bright. I also like that you can create different profiles in Lux for things like day/night, so it would be cool to retain that ability.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

XIII posted:

So, is there a top choice for an app to manage screen brightness? I've used Lux for years, but it's a crashy mess on Android O. Obviously, O is still beta software, but Lux hasn't been updated in over a year, so I don't foresee it getting fixed. The stock Android auto-brightness is way too bright. I also like that you can create different profiles in Lux for things like day/night, so it would be cool to retain that ability.

don't use preview software and expect your apps to work; they just now finalized the APIs for O anyway.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

nimper posted:

don't use preview software and expect your apps to work; they just now finalized the APIs for O anyway.

Like I said, I know I'm on preview software and fully expected apps to misbehave. I'm fine with that. But Lux seems to no longer be in development, so I was wondering what my alternate options are.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I use cf lumen but I think k it needs root

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Blue Train posted:

I use cf lumen but I think k it needs root

I thought that was like Twilight and only controlled screen color/temperature?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Turns out you are right

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Not sure why you'd use any alarm app other than Timely tbh

It hasn't been updated in 2 years and lots of reviews are saying it's wonky. :(

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Haven't had any issues myself. But what's the new hotness in alarm apps LastInLine?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

DemonMage posted:

Haven't had any issues myself. But what's the new hotness in alarm apps LastInLine?

AMdroid.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Alarms.apk

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

DemonMage posted:

Taffer posted:

AMdroid.

This is the one I'm really loving.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Any way​ to get the alarm sounds from Timely in another app? I find them to be much more pleasant than what amdroid comes with.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Incessant Excess posted:

Any way​ to get the alarm sounds from Timely in another app? I find them to be much more pleasant than what amdroid comes with.

I just went to a ringtone site and found a nice soft one for the pre-alarm and use one of the Pixel's stock tones for the actual alarm. I always hated how Timely's tones never looped properly.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I just use the stock clock app, but I'm an old person with cats so my actual alarm needs are minimal.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

LastInLine posted:

I just went to a ringtone site and found a nice soft one for the pre-alarm and use one of the Pixel's stock tones for the actual alarm. I always hated how Timely's tones never looped properly.

How long are you listening to your alarm :raise:

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

DemonMage posted:

I've been using Sleep as Android for a while and love it. It's regularly updated, ties with my smart lighting system, tracks sleep via my watch and/or sonar, has multiple alarms and everything else one could want.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

How long are you listening to your alarm :raise:

You're making a great point here and unfortunately in my defense I can only say "long enough to hear it loop". I have worked overnight for over twenty years though and some days are harder than others. :smith:

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Back when everyone I talked to used Hangouts, it was super convenient. I would have conversations synced across my phone, PC, or even random computers I logged onto at work thanks to Gmail chat.

Is there any way to replicate this with all text messages, even from people not using Hangouts? Ideally, I'd like to be able to pick up phone based SMS conversations I've been having on my PC when I get home.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Aranan posted:

Back when everyone I talked to used Hangouts, it was super convenient. I would have conversations synced across my phone, PC, or even random computers I logged onto at work thanks to Gmail chat.

Is there any way to replicate this with all text messages, even from people not using Hangouts? Ideally, I'd like to be able to pick up phone based SMS conversations I've been having on my PC when I get home.

I use Pushbullet for this.

vvvvv :v:

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jun 11, 2017

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

EDIT: ^^drat you

Aranan posted:

I use Pushbullet to text from my computer (and many other things). It works really well and I'm happy to pay the $5/mo for the premium version.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Cool, thanks guys. I also saw Pulse when googling for alternatives to Hangouts so I'll give those both a try.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Aranan posted:

I use Google Voice, so I get to use Hangouts for SMS messages in exactly the same way Hangouts messages work.

It's GLORIOUS.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

XIII posted:

The stock Android auto-brightness is way too bright.

It's too bright with the slider at minimum? You mean using it in the dark?

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

LastInLine posted:

This is the one I'm really loving.

loving Christ I'm trying to get back into using Android again after using iOS for the last two years, and I'm shocked at how complicated they were able to make an alarm app ffs.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

IuniusBrutus posted:

loving Christ I'm trying to get back into using Android again after using iOS for the last two years, and I'm shocked at how complicated they were able to make an alarm app ffs.

Press alarm at the top and the plus button to add one?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

IuniusBrutus posted:

Considering iOS can't even dismiss an upcoming alarm I'm not surprised you're confused.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

LastInLine posted:

Considering iOS can't even dismiss an upcoming alarm I'm not surprised you're confused.

I have to wake up a half hour earlier than normal tomorrow. It was pretty great being able to quickly change just that one alarm from the upcoming alarm notification :c00l:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I have to wake up a half hour earlier than normal tomorrow. It was pretty great being able to quickly change just that one alarm from the upcoming alarm notification :c00l:

No no the correct way is to go into the recurring alarm and turn it off. Then create a new, one-time alarm for the next day. Then, set a reminder for any time after the normal alarm time tomorrow to re-enable the recurring alarm for the following day. IT'S ABOUT KEEPING IT SIMPLE.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

LastInLine posted:

I like a lot of things about my iPhone but iOS itself and all of the stock apps are infuriating to use when you're used to Android.

Android got notifications right years ago and Apple still can't figure it out to this day. Also would it really kill them to add some kind of onscreen indicator when the phone is on silent? I'm sick of turning my phone around to look at the physical switch.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

LastInLine posted:

No no the correct way is to go into the recurring alarm and turn it off. Then create a new, one-time alarm for the next day. Then, set a reminder for any time after the normal alarm time tomorrow to re-enable the recurring alarm for the following day. IT'S ABOUT KEEPING IT SIMPLE.

The simplest alarm is having your mom call you. Or installing Aire Freshener on an Android Windows emulator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

sweart gliwere posted:

The simplest alarm is having your mom call you. Or installing Aire Freshener on an Android Windows emulator.

Cats. Convince them that feeding time is first thing in the morning, and you will never sleep through your alarm again.