Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Going forward I wonder how much open world games will change to be more like BotW now?

Read an article last week about BotW's influence going forward. Devs think it's a total watershed moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Al Borland Corp. posted:

What's so horrible about it? You gain control of your player after a short cutscene and then go through a brief tutorial dungeon and then the world is open to you.

I tried playing the game three times and hated it each time. One day I found this video that explained exactly why:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpddXJJLhPY&t=2s

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Read an article last week about BotW's influence going forward. Devs think it's a total watershed moment.

Well AssCreed already has "Climb anything you see!" as a selling point and the new Mordor has the jump and aim with bow to slow down time but it would be really awesome to see open world games to follow the design of BotW where the map is designed to peak curiosity so you're constantly exploring. It's amazing how much I find myself just getting lost in BotW on random whims cause I see an interesting hill of all things where in other games I'll pass by entire forests without even considering going into one unless there's some symbol in it or some hunt quest for that area

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Waltzing Along posted:

I tried playing the game three times and hated it each time. One day I found this video that explained exactly why:

I'm glad someone made a video which is longer than Skyrim's opening to explain why Skyrim's opening is actually bad.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

irlZaphod posted:

I'm glad someone made a video which is longer than Skyrim's opening to explain why Skyrim's opening is actually bad.

It's a game developers channel. But thanks for your input about the bad game.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
The Skyrim opening is annoying after playing it a million times but it's bearable and not game breaking or anything

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Waltzing Along posted:

that's a p good breakdown

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

why did they raise the pitch on the voices

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

It's probably just gonna be that Zelda content.

Like Mario-related content would look weird.

Pikmin...Animal Crossing? Can you imagine what would happen if you tapped your Villager amiibo and got something? What would you even get?

Hmm yes Mario would look out of place in the game where you can mod the dragons to all be Macho Man Randy Savage

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I really liked Skyrim's intro the first time I played it, yeah it's dull to play through multiple times when you're starting a new character but that's a different issue.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Fried Watermelon posted:

To fit more content into a shorter video.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Well AssCreed already has "Climb anything you see!" as a selling point and the new Mordor has the jump and aim with bow to slow down time but it would be really awesome to see open world games to follow the design of BotW where the map is designed to peak curiosity so you're constantly exploring. It's amazing how much I find myself just getting lost in BotW on random whims cause I see an interesting hill of all things where in other games I'll pass by entire forests without even considering going into one unless there's some symbol in it or some hunt quest for that area

I fully understood this aspect of BotW when I began one play session fully intending to go directly south to investigate something I'd seen the night before, and after two hours of "oh that looks neat" ending up farther north from my starting point than I had planned on going south, in a big spiral, totally unplanned, never making it to my original destination. Not because I couldn't figure out how to get there, but just because there was so much else I found to do.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Waltzing Along posted:

I think Skyrim and COd's intros were both fine. COD needed to improve it's intro since it's always trying to bring new customers, whilst skyrim knew what it was doing, their playerbase already knows whats up so it didn't have to let players gently caress around from the first second.

Also did everyone forget how morrowind puts you on a loving boat and then drags you into a house with an old nerd for character creation?

Dizz fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jun 12, 2017

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Dizz posted:

whilst skyrim knew what it was doing, their playerbase already knows whats up so it didn't have to let players gently caress around from the first second.

It's bad game design if you turn off new players from the get go.

What would have worked better:

1 - create a character
2 - have a mini mission where you are a thief, or whatever, and you get caught and put in chains
3 - then you start in the wagon with the bonus of not having to stop the action to create a character. "action"

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I feel like I'm the one person on earth who isn't remotely interested in Skyrim on any platform :(

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Martytoof posted:

I feel like I'm the one person on earth who isn't remotely interested in Skyrim on any platform :(

Well, besides the dozens of people who've already posted in this thread about how they're not interested, yes.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Martytoof posted:

You aren't even the one person on earth to make this post on this page.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Martytoof posted:

I'm with you, but I'm sure the game is great. The repackaging of it every year for the last 6 years is a bit ridiculous, though.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Dr. VooDoo posted:

It's pique friend

I hope they announce a Smash thing so I can buy this console

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

It's pique friend

I was about to say that's what I typed but lol nope thanks phone autocorrect

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

If Skyrim was $30 or less, I'd get it for the Switch. But they've tacked on gimmicky motion controls and Zelda amiibo support for what I'm sure is an effort to justify a $59.99 cost.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Fried Watermelon posted:

He said he has trouble varying the tone of his voice when reading from script, and his normal voice is pretty droning. It is, in fact, to keep you from falling asleep.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
Skyrim is a bed time simulator. You spend most of the game listening to bored voice actors read 3000 lines of filler text or watching load screens. The battle system is almost the same as it was in the 90s

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Skyrim is a good game and I might buy it on the Nintendo Switch.

That being said it’s become insanely trendy to say that it’s bad and always has been.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I'm not sure if I'm buying Skyrim but I'm 100% buying* ARMS this week!

*digitally, as God intended.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Skyrim is a good game and I might buy it on the Nintendo Switch.

That being said it’s become insanely trendy to say that it’s bad and always has been.

I dunno how trendy it is for people to dislike the feeling of dying of old age

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Physical is the correct way you dirty digital bastard

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I'm more likely to buy Skyrim than Arms :twisted:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Here's some impressions of FIFA for Switch.

http://m.ign.com/videos/2017/06/12/fifa-18-fans-react-to-playing-on-nintendo-switch-ign-access

These are all fans really excited to be in the show floor though, they'll probably say anything is awesome.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Skyrim owns I bought it on ps4 pro

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Two, nearly three, bad decisions in one post.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Skyrim owns if: it's your first time playing it OR you can mod the poo poo out of it so your subsequent gimmick runs are actually interesting.

The novelty of having vanilla Skyrim on a portable is not worth $60 to me :shrug:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Waltzing Along posted:

Counterpoint: https://youtu.be/LWGepV3sTYI

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

deadly_pudding posted:

Skyrim owns if: it's your first time playing it OR you can mod the poo poo out of it so your subsequent gimmick runs are actually interesting.

The novelty of having vanilla Skyrim on a portable is not worth $60 to me :shrug:

Well it has all the expansions and it looks like they've basically "modded" in Zelda (out Nintendo at large?) poo poo.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Counter-counter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSDfTAu86qo

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Raserys posted:

I'm more likely to buy Skyrim than Arms :twisted:

yeah this

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Tomorrow is gonna be good

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Rebuying Skyrim is tempting for exactly as long as it takes me to remember the number of mods needed to A. make the inventory not-poo poo, and B. fix all of the horrible minor save-corrupting, game-loving bugs because it's a Bethesda game

I always loved checking out the wiki for a questline and seeing the "Note: This situation can occur that will make it so you can't complete this quest unless you go into the console and move the quest state from 10 to 20, if you're on a console then have fun restarting your game I guess"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I never really ran into any of those bugs in what I would consider a fairly lengthy playthrough where I did every quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

A) Sky ui one of the oldest and most downloaded mod takes about 4 seconds to find fixed the inventory for me, not sure it works on consoles though

• Locked thread