Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Odddzy posted:

How long does it usually take to get the first stripe at white belt? I never got one and the schools I went at don't really do the stripe thing.

I think I got mine in like 2 or 3 months of not even very consistent attendance

e: the official guidelines of my gyms association (CTA) is like 40 classes per stripe at white I think

double e: I wasn't at my current gym when I started though

Dave Grool fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jun 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Odddzy posted:

How long does it usually take to get the first stripe at white belt? I never got one and the schools I went at don't really do the stripe thing.

Within a few months. Like under 4. All depends on attendance/attitude at that stage though.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

At my gym, the first stripe is knowing the basic curriculum (the moves we do every day in warmup), so a month or less.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Seltzer posted:

Wow that's cool and a bit hectic. How do they track belts, stripes, etc with 1200 students? Can lower belts train in Renzos class or are they restricted to certain classes/instructors until a certain level?
People tend to go to the same classes at the same times so the instructor for those classes know you. Plus we have attendance cards which help the instructor see at a glance what level you are, how many classes you take and how long since your last promotion. Renzo doesn't regularly teach any specific class. He teaches classes whenever he wants so it can be a beginner class or an advanced class. Renzo is an amazing teacher and a brilliant grappler. He is also super charismatic and really funny. I love when he teaches class because not only is the technique amazing but just hanging out with him after class listening to his stories is amazing.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

White belts at my gym get one stripe for every 25 hours of class.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

For those schools that have a stripe to hour ratio, are these cases of people who just don't learn as fast as others and wind up racking up stripes (or inverse, very quick/prior grappling history and don't get more than a few at the lower belts before moving on)?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Neon Belly posted:

For those schools that have a stripe to hour ratio, are these cases of people who just don't learn as fast as others and wind up racking up stripes (or inverse, very quick/prior grappling history and don't get more than a few at the lower belts before moving on)?

Gracie Humaita requires everyone to get 4 stripes before they test for their next belt. The belt test is just a demonstration of knowledge and isn't really representative of your ability to roll. White to blue is super easy and viewed as the belt that just shows you're committed to furthering your knowledge in jiu jitsu. Blue to purple is the longest time between stripes (115 hours) and that's pretty much where most people catch up to the curve.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
We don't have a class or time standard for stripes they are given for progress. Stripes are not rank. They don't mean anything but are just a way of encouraging people between belts and giving a rough measure of progress. People should not give much thought to them or ascribe any kind of ranking from them.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

In judo we only give stripes to 5-6 year olds for hanging out with us for a year even if they didn't even really learn any judo. We give half belts to kids, but they don't mean anything other than "you are better at judo than last time we thought about grading" - they have no effect on competition or anything. Once a kid switches to the adult class we stop handing out half belts. The highest half belt we've ever given out at my club since I've been there is orange/green.

Half belts do look loving rad though....

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

CommonShore posted:

In judo we only give stripes to 5-6 year olds for hanging out with us for a year even if they didn't even really learn any judo. We give half belts to kids, but they don't mean anything other than "you are better at judo than last time we thought about grading" - they have no effect on competition or anything. Once a kid switches to the adult class we stop handing out half belts. The highest half belt we've ever given out at my club since I've been there is orange/green.

Half belts do look loving rad though....

Those make no sense but look awesome.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Seltzer posted:

Those make no sense but look awesome.

Again, they're basically youth ranks which serve more or less the same purpose that Yuns describes above for stripes. Some clubs give them out up until 16 or so. We stop at 13.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I use to wear my judo belt to school every day when I was a kid. I can confirm the cool factor

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

If I had a time machine my very first stop would be to bully you as a child

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I now wear a singlet everywhere I go Danaher style

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

John will wear a rashguard out on the street but he changes into a different rashguard to teach.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I need a white brown half belt to reflect my true skill

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

I was a purple belt for SO LONG that it faded hard and people thought I was a blue belt

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Being a white belt, to me, kind of an ambiguous rank. It's probably the only belt where I think stripes are good, just to make it easy at a glance to tell between "It's their second week" vs "It's their second year."

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Due to various circumstances and A LOT of bad timing I was never graded above white belt, even when I had like 4 years of training 4 times per week and doing advanced div nogi competitions and stuff

Attending a new club was always fun. Not being able to compete at all in BJJ competitions due to a catch 22 of being too experienced to sandbag white belt divs but too literally a white belt to compete in anything above- not quite as fun.

These days I have re-earned my white belt by having become terrible, so it all worked out in the end.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I started teaching a couple of friends who live nearby some basic BJJ out of my garage, because they can't afford to train. I expected it to be burdensome but man, I'm learning so much from teaching. Being forced to revisit my own fundamentals is eye opening.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

please rate my sweet new ink

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

See what we have here is specificity in action. You pay a dude who hopefully knows Bjj very very well, but you would not pay him to draw a tat.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Bohemian Nights posted:

Due to various circumstances and A LOT of bad timing I was never graded above white belt, even when I had like 4 years of training 4 times per week and doing advanced div nogi competitions and stuff

Attending a new club was always fun. Not being able to compete at all in BJJ competitions due to a catch 22 of being too experienced to sandbag white belt divs but too literally a white belt to compete in anything above- not quite as fun.

These days I have re-earned my white belt by having become terrible, so it all worked out in the end.

Smash white belt comps until someone finally promotes you, obvi.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Neon Belly posted:

Smash white belt comps until someone finally promotes you, obvi.

Is it really sandbagging if everyone competing at white belt these days just happens to be an ex-national/state wrestler, ex-judo black belt, two year white belt prodigy, or advanced no-gi competitor?:grin:

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 12, 2017

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Wangsbig posted:

Why does your club have pink belts? :v:

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

I met a white belt woman years ago that had a pink "white" belt. Few stripes too

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

So how do I finish an electric chair sweep against a guy who can do full front splits?

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 13, 2017

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

CommonShore posted:

So how do I finish an electric chair sweep against a guy who can do full front splits?

Seems like there's some pretty fundamental answers here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXBQ-_z8dsE

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Wangsbig posted:

You have sure do have girly legs wangsbig.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

omg chael crash posted:

I met a white belt woman years ago that had a pink "white" belt. Few stripes too

Doesn't every gym have that one guy who washed his white belt with a new blue gi, self-promoting to a sky-blue belt?

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

welp looks like no jiujitsu for me for a while.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Slipped disc between 4 and 5?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP_0BhCw2rg

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Slipped disc between 4 and 5?

That's what it looks like to my untrained eye. Radiologist is going to review tomorrow morning and send a report to my back doc.

I swear to god if I have to quit bjj due to an injury as a four stripe brown belt I'm going to be a loving wreck

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

ch3cooh posted:

That's what it looks like to my untrained eye. Radiologist is going to review tomorrow morning and send a report to my back doc.

I swear to god if I have to quit bjj due to an injury as a four stripe brown belt I'm going to be a loving wreck

Sucks bigtime man, how/when did it happen? have you been struggling with it for a while?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

JaySB posted:

Seems like there's some pretty fundamental answers here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXBQ-_z8dsE

Yeah I ended up watching that one right after I posted. Looks like I need to shrimp back more and go for the stoner control, which I haven't needed to do in the past if I just wanted the sweep.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

ch3cooh posted:

Looks like a herniated disc. Plenty of surgical options, it doesn't have to be the end of your grappling forever. However, based on the people I know who have had the same, you are going to be taking some serious time off.

I think that's L4/L5, which is what my partner had go wrong.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
That's a herniated disc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

ch3cooh posted:

it depends how severe it is but youll be fine in the long run generally. they can usually heal without surgery, my friend had one that he recovered from with physical rehab and he was doing hard cardio after 2 months or so and doesnt get any back pain or any problems now. you can probably expect a much longer recovery if you do need surgery