Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Chilichimp posted:

Try to binge it, it works really well if the previous episodes are fresh in your mind (kind of why the show failed).

you also need to get a few episodes in before it starts getting really good, the style of humor is very unique and takes a little getting used to. not that the first few episodes are bad - they're great - but they're much better once you start to get it.

basically, a lot of the jokes are set up as punchline, joke rather than the other way around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Alter Ego posted:

If nothing mattered, there would be no Senate or House investigation, Comey and Sessions wouldn't be getting hauled before the Intelligence Committee, and Trump's approval rating wouldn't be like 30%.

We don't have mechanisms to call early elections in our Constitution. If we did, we'd have done so, and Trump would no longer be in charge.

Yeah but if they just cancel public hearings and investigations, whats left? What consequences are there between now and the election?because if there isnt anything until the midterms i'm starting to be worried of the idea of a republican party that know they're doomed and decide they have nothing to lose.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

socialsecurity posted:

What makes you think that, the Republicans haven't done a single thing to come even close to slowing Trump down, hell they even use the investigations as reasons to scream about Hillary's emails again.

Richard Burr loves holding Public hearings that cause Trump great mental distress.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Chilichimp posted:

Try to binge it, it works really well if the previous episodes are fresh in your mind (kind of why the show failed, because so many jokes in the current episode require knowledge of previous episodes or even seasons).

Or future episodes.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Chilichimp posted:

Watch it, it's great.

Just don't watch season 4

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Chilichimp posted:

Richard Burr loves holding Public hearings that cause Trump great mental distress.

Which is strange because I've spent my entire adult life voting and reeling against him and every initiative he's ever had

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

evilweasel posted:

you also need to get a few episodes in before it starts getting really good, the style of humor is very unique and takes a little getting used to. not that the first few episodes are bad - they're great - but they're much better once you start to get it.

basically, a lot of the jokes are set up as punchline, joke rather than the other way around.

Tiny Town remains the greatest single episode gag in all of television history, though.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Really we should all rewatch it because every watch through more jokes become apparent.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

exploded mummy posted:

Just don't watch season 4

Or do if you like ostriches (I really like ostriches).

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Tengames posted:

Yeah but if they just cancel public hearings and investigations, whats left? What consequences are there between now and the election?because if there isnt anything until the midterms i'm starting to be worried of the idea of a republican party that know they're doomed and decide they have nothing to lose.

Canceling public hearings would probably cause them to lose the Senate in 2018, an outcome they're not prepared to countenance just to save Trump's bloated carcass.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

evilweasel posted:

Or future episodes.

lol, I forgot about that poo poo. That show really was the greatest.

The best part of season 4 was realizing that the entire plot was orchestrated to deliver a single throwaway pun.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Shifty Pony posted:

Is there a particular news story you are getting that from? Pretty all lawsuits are contingent upon the judge allowing them to proceed because the firs thing the sued person is going to do is move to have the case dismissed.

It sounds like Maryland and DC have a pretty good case for standing because their city/state owned convention centers are in pretty much direct competition with Trump's new DC hotel and are losing international business because everyone is trying to butter up Trump by booking his properties.

Shifty Pony posted:

Is there a particular news story you are getting that from? Pretty all lawsuits are contingent upon the judge allowing them to proceed because the firs thing the sued person is going to do is move to have the case dismissed.

It sounds like Maryland and DC have a pretty good case for standing because their city/state owned convention centers are in pretty much direct competition with Trump's new DC hotel and are losing international business because everyone is trying to butter up Trump by booking his properties.

The first part is generally true in suits against the president, but for most run of the mill lawsuits.

The injury in fact is probably easier for the states to develop, but they'll still have to show its redressable and also not a political question. Plenty of grounds to punt on

Like, how do you make third parties stop staying at trump hotels? Even if you forcibly divest trump himself, he still knows his family will profit

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Tiny Town remains the greatest single episode gag in all of television history, though.

I couldn't recall this from memory, so I googled and watched the scene.

My. God.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

evilweasel posted:

he's already there

rince is incompetent and dumb so i'd rather have him suffer four years of trump torturing him for sport, its the actual dangerous people like sessions that need to get fired asap

That's fair.

And hopefully we'll be rid of Sessions soon. Sounds like things have been heading that way for a while anyway, but if he won't fire Mueller, that may accelerate.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
I only just understood the name Arrested Development, man am I slow.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

This is how stuff can matter. Republicans might never get off their butt and impeach him but his businesses could get turbo hosed without congress

Night10194 posted:

And losing him money will drive him insane.
The Clintons faced so many lawsuits that when they left the White House in 2001 all their money was gone to lawyer's fees and they had to scramble to make more (book deals, speaking engagements). I would love to see Trump get out of the White House with far less money than he came in with.

KittenofDoom posted:

It's awkwardly-placed seams on the dress.
The dress is not supposed to fit that way. Having a tight fit was more important to her than having a good fit.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Trump and the True Meaning of ‘Idiot’ https://nyti.ms/2tbIcoK

Goddamn!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Unormal posted:

https://twitter.com/sethiankit/status/873606383924629504

...also I just learned about mumbo sauce and ate some delicious loving wings covered in it which I know you loving DC pol goons knew about and kept from me, so now I'm mad at all of you.

Not trying to sound like a smart rear end, but the second I looked at the armor and all the parts it didn't cover and all its holes, my first thought was "that poo poo will do absolutely nothing against a knife."

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

Blitz7x posted:

Which is strange because I've spent my entire adult life voting and reeling against him and every initiative he's ever had

He's probably gearing up to be a house husband and suckle off of that sweet LRB money that his wife is making. He's not running for office again.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Ralepozozaxe posted:

I only just understood the name Arrested Development, man am I slow.

To be fair there's like 3 different meanings you can use for it off the top of my head. You have the literal arrested development with George Sr; You have clinical arrested development with essentially the entire Bluth family; Finally the literal pun that smacks you in the face with Sudden Valley. Twice.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jun 12, 2017

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
It's a good title.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Everyone should watch the first 3 seasons of Arrested Development

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

exploded mummy posted:

It's a good title.

[extremely Ron Howard voice] it is

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I love Arrested Development, but the whole Mr. F plot line does not hold up well.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Invalid Validation posted:

What's that goon app that has all the local government contact info on it?

That would be "MyReps" https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mezzanine.myreps :)

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://mobile.twitter.com/NPR/status/874281419647930372

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

whydirt posted:

I love Arrested Development, but the whole Mr. F plot line does not hold up well.

I've been rewatching a week or so ago and was at that same point and thought the same thing.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

:getin:

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

SocketWrench posted:

No it won't. It'll get the shooter arrested, his house, family and himself rioted against, and feed the republican persecution complex. In the end all it'll do is justify Republicans being more violent in their eyes
Republicans are masters of and rule through fear and violence.

That's going to happen anyway. If you lay down politely in the street and offer your throat for stomping, Fox News will run a story about how a liberal terrorist shredded some poor nazi's knuckles with his teeth, then got blood and brain matter all over the nice young lad's brand new jackboots.

The fact that some of you still cling to this ridiculous illusion of bipartisanship is nothing short of astounding.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

I've been rewatching a week or so ago and was at that same point and thought the same thing.

Neither does the episode where Maeby goes around telling people Lindsay is a transwoman, by use of a slur. I always skip that one on rewatches, too.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

whydirt posted:

It wasn't the best of the show at the time either, to be honest. That said, it was very well done for what it was, with a lot of hidden foreshadowing, and the first meeting is one of the funniest scenes in the entire series.

Oh boy, another must see tv event!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Mwahahaha :unsmigghh:

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Get the gently caress in.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Sinteres posted:

It wasn't the best of the show at the time either, to be honest. That said, it was very well done for what it was, with a lot of hidden foreshadowing, and the first meeting is one of the funniest scenes in the entire series.

Oh boy, another must see tv event!

I wonder if it'll be as big a draw as Comey's testimony was.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I'm almost more interested in how transparently crap the republicans are going to be in this one.

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

Spiritus Nox posted:

Trump will probably fire Mueller and the GOP definitely won't give a flying poo poo.

It would be dangerous if the fascists walk away from firing Mueller without severe consequences. Republicans must know that voter suppression and the favorable nature of electoral systems, won't be enough for them to stay in the political game as is. A significant fraction of them surely prefer a Russia style managed democracy over a democracy where whites are no longer a dominant political group.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

awesome

that's definitely not what he wanted

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Both my senators are democrats. Calling senators from other states is pointless, right? I'm concerned the senate isn't getting enough heat on AHCA...

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

This'll be under oath like Comey, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

:getin:

• Locked thread