Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Palpek posted:

"Ryder, months ago I lost my skin moisturizer stash somewhere in the jungle. Please retrieve all 5 bottles that I far-sightedly marked with GPS trackers."

Oh wait, that's actually the kind of quest you could encounter in ME:A, still way too much RPG.

Turns out they're just reskinning Star Wars Galaxies!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Skippy McPants posted:

If the sources are accurate I'm not sure I'd put much of the blame on Walters. The pre-production sounds like it was an utter gently caress-fest of bad ideas and poor planning.

Spending three years on trying to procedurally generate planets in a Bioware storygame was pretty dumb, yeah.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Even the initial rescope of 30 hand crafted worlds was helariouly naive.

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
if chris roberts can do 100 for star citizen surely biowear can do 30

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

lalaland posted:

if chris roberts can do 100 for star citizen surely biowear can do 30
I admit that Bioware's failure to bring the ambitions behind ME:A into existence during all the development time they had does put Star Citizen's plans in an even more insane perspecitve.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

exquisite tea posted:

Doing that would break their streak of co-opting the hottest new gaming trend from three years ago.

quote:

“We have data that shows there are a lot of people that enjoy playing RPGs although they won’t necessarily call them RPGs. They’ll play Fallout, Assassin’s Creed and even Call Of Duty, which have these progression elements – you’re putting points into things – but they don’t necessarily associate that as an RPG. So we think that if we expand that out we’ll attract a much bigger audience.”

:allears: back when EA was on bioware's case for the thread's goldenboy ME2 being regarded the highest rated game of all time, like as good as a narratively driven sci-fi RPG could be anyway, but still not putting out the mega-sales numbers of bigger franchises even tho if it did really well on its own merits, and then ultimately shifting the goalpost's on bioware's other IPs

i get that EA is a business and all but i wonder how much they managed their expectations when they acquired a studio that puts a lot of effort into catering to a specific audience, a small but stable group, with a niche style of games that other studios don't really do too much of anymore when they started chasing the dragon of the latest industry trends and buzz words

Skippy McPants posted:

If the sources are accurate I'm not sure I'd put much of the blame on Walters. The pre-production sounds like it was an utter gently caress-fest of bad ideas and poor planning.

everyone gets s a healthy serving of blame this time around: the youtuber that repeated the kotaku article about andromeda's development woes did also make a point of mentioning that metal gear and final fantasy both had entries that went through similar development hell for technological/directorial vision reasons but like sensible companies they just pushed back release until a quality product could be assembled instead of sharting out a hastily cobbled shitshow, like even at the 11th hour disaster could have been avoided by someone swallowing their pride and saying it's obviously not ready yet

ultimately it took a comedy of errors and poor decisions by a variety of people to get to where andromeda was in March 2017

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Really we should of known it was over for Bioware around the time EA renamed some totally random studio to Bioware Victory in an attempt to generate hype for a mediocre game. EA has no actual respect for the creative process of games and only values Bioware as a brand name.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 12, 2017

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Internet Kraken posted:

Really we should of known it was over for Bioware around the time EA renamed some totally random studio to Bioware Victory in an attempt to generate hyper for a mediocre game. EA has no actual respect for the creative process of games and only values Bioware as a brand name.

EA's entire business model.docx

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

DancingShade posted:

This is the NPC interaction I'm predicting:

"Freelancer it's good to see you." *vocal pitch changes slightly* "Today's special is a 15% discount on super ultra lucky boxes which might contain a legendary weapon or rare paint skins for your suit."

change my name to Higher Chance Of A Legendary Item

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Chill Nazi Frog posted:

change my name to Higher Chance Of A Legendary Item

I love how both Assassin's Creed Origins and Anthem both went for showing off their loot systems with "Look guys, a ~Legendary Drop!~"

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
I like how in the Anthem trailer when they're opening a lootbox the lady playing accidentally gives the game away when she disgustedly says "UGH I hope I get something GOOD this time"

a bigger indictment of loot shooters has not yet been written

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
EDIT: Wrong thread

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 12, 2017

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Holy poo poo, XCOM made a Mass Effect!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3bENBYSucQ

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Thundercracker posted:

The new Wolfenstein had such good writing.I mean, the plot wasn't anything amazing but the writing really elevated it. Really put you in the head of Blaskovitz and had an almost Tarantinoesque tension in alot of scenes.

I bought Wolfenstein on the Steam summer sale expecting a generic shoot nazis game, and it turned out to be one of my favourite games.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Poldarn posted:

I bought Wolfenstein on the Steam summer sale expecting a generic shoot nazis game, and it turned out to be one of my favourite games.

Did you try The Old Blood? It's not as good as New Order, but it is some great old school gun maze FPS gameplay.

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012

Drifter posted:

Holy poo poo, XCOM made a Mass Effect!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3bENBYSucQ

i am excite

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Generic American posted:

I know a lot of people are attached to their Shepard, but personally, I would be completely fine with them just rewinding the series to Mass Effect 1 and saying "Reapers never happened, the galaxy is intact, here are some completely new stories".

I mean they could do that without a full reset, but any side-story would inevitably beg the question of what happens to them during ME3 and knowing that like 99% of literally everyone you play as or meet is inevitably doomed by canon would sour that pretty hard.

This is getting real close to the Alien Franchise. 1 got us all onboard. 2 was a great and fun ride. 3 was a little weird and not as good but hey I kind dug it. Uh poo poo wtf is happening with 4? Now we're talking reboot and re-imaginings? Let's just make a new IP that focuses on the things we like...oh wait.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Are there any space games that don't include comic booky magic? I just want to be in space, no need to invent biotics or other magical voodoo. I'd give my left nut for a straight-up astronaut game set in the future.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

a primate posted:

Are there any space games that don't include comic booky magic? I just want to be in space, no need to invent biotics or other magical voodoo. I'd give my left nut for a straight-up astronaut game set in the future.

space engineers?

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Admiral Ray posted:

space engineers?

Looks like minecraft in space I guess? I might take a look but it would be more fun to be an actual character. Not expecting anyone to come up with a real answer to my first world problems, just generally Qq'ing.

E: I mean that xcom thing is holding an orb a la Magic the Gathering and looks like it's from an 80s metal band. Whatever happened to space suits???

a primate fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 12, 2017

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

a primate posted:

E: I mean that xcom thing is holding an orb a la Magic the Gathering and looks like it's from an 80s metal band. Whatever happened to space suits???

Bro, if you're FROM space then logically it means you probably are used to living there, too. Duh. That's just how evolution works, Jesus.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

a primate posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv6RbEOlqRo

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Palpek posted:

But seriously how the mighty have fallen, Bioware's A team is making a Destiny clone lol. I guess TOR was the gateway drug. If somebody had hopes for another Bioware RPG (much less a Mass Effect RPG) then it's time to put them to sleep.

It just seems like Bioware isn't interested in making the games that attracted to me to them as a studio in the first place. I guess we'll see what DA4 has to offer before I give up completely. As of now, which developers out there to fill in that space. CDR obviously but who else?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Guerrilla really outdid themselves with Horizon Zero Dawn and it's my favorite game of 2017 so far, but there aren't really many consequential choices that you're used to seeing in a Mass Effect game. If you had told me a couple years ago that the makers of Killzone would put out a legitimate GOTY RPG and Bioware would be making Destiny clones, I wouldn't believe it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Guerrilla making HZD is especially strange because their wheelhouse is in methodical slow pace FPS gameplay. Moving to a story based open world RPG seems so odd. Now the stories in the Killzone games aren't bad, but they're really straightforward and generic as opposed to their genuinely interesting backstory that is never brought up in the games. Making the leap to an new franchise and having a well fleshed out and told tale is quite an accomplishment for them

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

This is the kind of poo poo that happened to the old studios. Their publishers told them the poo poo they made and liked making weren't good enough anymore and they needed to make new poo poo. Then, 20 years later the people behind those studios got into Kickstarter and other fund sites and went back to make the stuff they used to like.

I can't wait for the developers of the old Bioware to get into kickstarter so we can get the spiritual successor to Mass Effect. I'm not being ironic either.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

HZD feels like somebody's life-long pet project. The vision of the world and the story don't seem like something somebody was paid to write a screenplay for but something that somebody was writing down and building for years patiently waiting for a budget big enough to pull it off. The entire concept is just so fully realized. I don't know if that's the actual case but that's what the game feels like to me and that's the big difference between it and the Killzone series. Those guys gathered all the game developing experience in the world and had the potential to pull off a game like HZD but needed a project that they themselves fell in love with to succeed.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Palpek posted:

HZD feels like somebody's life-long pet project. The vision of the world and the story don't seem like something somebody was paid to write a screenplay for but something that somebody was writing down and building for years patiently waiting for a budget big enough to pull it off. The entire concept is just so fully realized. I don't know if that's the actual case but that's what the game feels like to me and that's the big difference between it and the Killzone series. Those guys gathered all the game developing experience in the world and had the potential to pull off a game like HZD but needed a project that they themselves fell in love with to succeed.

There's a Dutch making-of documentary about HZD and it very much was managing director Hermen Hulst's passion project, which he privately worked on for years before GG began pitching new IPs to Sony. Not too unlike how Casey Hudson conceived of Mass Effect while cranking out KOTOR games for LucasArts.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

:lol: sold.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Grabbed this during the 50% discount on Origin and because I hate myself and quite like Mass Effect. So far it's a bit too DA:I-in-space for me so I'm ignoring all the bear asses collection quests and it's a fine enough game I guess.

But I must be doing something wrong because I can't seem to craft much things except some minor weapon upgrades. It's confusing because I've got a poo poo ton of blueprints but no means of crafting the items because I always miss lots of minerals. I'm only level 9, put some mining drones on Eos and scanned the system. Am I supposed to craft the armor (and the Not Mako) upgrades later?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Furism posted:

Grabbed this during the 50% discount on Origin and because I hate myself and quite like Mass Effect. So far it's a bit too DA:I-in-space for me so I'm ignoring all the bear asses collection quests and it's a fine enough game I guess.

But I must be doing something wrong because I can't seem to craft much things except some minor weapon upgrades. It's confusing because I've got a poo poo ton of blueprints but no means of crafting the items because I always miss lots of minerals. I'm only level 9, put some mining drones on Eos and scanned the system. Am I supposed to craft the armor (and the Not Mako) upgrades later?

Every 10 levels you can craft the next version of whatever you want to use. Yes, they helpfully didn't put a lot of essential crafting material nodes on Eos so you can't craft poo poo to start with.

For the "full experience" try doing every single side quest and see how many you finish before getting utterly sick of them.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

a primate posted:

The non-alien world of Prey (2017) is pretty understated like that. The astronaut part included.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

You can't avoid the magical alien powers in that game though even if you're only fighting against them.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spikeguy posted:

It just seems like Bioware isn't interested in making the games that attracted to me to them as a studio in the first place. I guess we'll see what DA4 has to offer before I give up completely. As of now, which developers out there to fill in that space. CDR obviously but who else?

Devolver

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

I like devolver but what rpg do they have besides that neat Diablo - like that isn't out?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://www.spiders-games.com/games/the-technomancer

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
When Spiders is your only hope, we are truly doomed :smith:

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Did you try The Old Blood? It's not as good as New Order, but it is some great old school gun maze FPS gameplay.

Yeah, I knew it wouldn't as *as* good but it was still a great pulpy horror shooter.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Rinkles posted:

The non-alien world of Prey (2017) is pretty understated like that. The astronaut part included.

Prey did seem like a good game. I watched someone on YouTube play a bunch of it since I wasn't going to buy it myself.

The last game to really scratch this itch was Adrift. It was simple but atmospheric enough to keep me playing. A bit monotonous though. I liked having a break from shooting things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

a primate posted:

Prey did seem like a good game. I watched someone on YouTube play a bunch of it since I wasn't going to buy it myself.

The last game to really scratch this itch was Adrift. It was simple but atmospheric enough to keep me playing. A bit monotonous though. I liked having a break from shooting things.

Prey was hilarious because after a ton of hours, you finally reach your goal and defeat the boss...

...only to find out it's the halfway point and the real boss is at the very top of the tower.