Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

http://www.mmafighting.com/2017/6/11/15778674/travis-browne-rips-derrick-lewis-on-instagram-wants-rematch

hahahahahahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

vaginal facsimile posted:

Ah he was trying to clone himself

Lol

He said later that Travis broke two of his ribs.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Calling out a fighter that just retired is good marketing

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

That post owns because Browne would have been cut awhile ago if not for his family.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Travis browne will never be cut as long as it remains a spectacle to see a guy that big being kicked in the face repeatedly

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Struve deserves the Travis Browne rematch.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

pathetic

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

attackmole posted:

Struve deserves the Travis Browne rematch.

gently caress that, struve should get a title shot next

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Lol brave man waiting until Lewis loses and retires to talk poo poo

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
For those that missed the Instagram post.

https://twitter.com/UFCWorldNews/status/874065325272305664

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

We didn't deserve the Black Beast

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

I love the ref.

"I'll give it a little while longer, this is fine"

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Mario Yamasaki is a hero

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Memento posted:

I love the ref.

"I'll give it a little while longer, this is fine"

That's Mario Yamasaki for you.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Can't blame him. My love for ribs is so great that I had to pressure wash the side of my house after I smoked some ribs on my gas grill. :sad:

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Soothing Vapors posted:

Mario Yamasaki is a hero

Lol mostly not

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Kaddish posted:

Can't blame him. My love for ribs is so great that I had to pressure wash the side of my house after I smoked some ribs on my gas grill. :sad:

:agreed:

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

chaleski posted:

We didn't deserve the Black Beast

Afterbirth Aftermath
Aug 29, 2002

I don't think this is what Cormier meant, UFC.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Please don't leave Black Beast

https://twitter.com/thebeast_ufc/status/874150849332760576

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

It still kinda amazes me that the UFC Heavyweight division is a thing. Basically every single one of them could have chosen to say, play professional football for 500x the money.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
There's a certain broke-brained-ness needed to be a professional prizefighter, true.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
maybe they dont like football

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

JaySB posted:

It still kinda amazes me that the UFC Heavyweight division is a thing. Basically every single one of them could have chosen to say, play professional football for 500x the money.

Some of the Americans maybe.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Lol

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

lmao when is Travis gonna learn

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Professional football is really really hard to play, probably big guys who are sort of athletic cannot just choose to play it and get paid a lot of money.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Is CTE worse in football than mma?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Almost definitely yes. They wear big helmets so the can slam their heads and be slammed in the head "without harm" but they found in amateur boxing that the helmets actually contribute to concussion rather than dampen it and there's no reason to believe that it's much different for gridiron helms.

Though I wonder if there are studies that compare American Football with Rugby in terms of concussion likelihood.

e: http://www.brain-injury-law-center.com/latest-news/head-injuries-rugby-vs-football/

There's at least this thing with some stats but it's not super deep or whatever

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jun 12, 2017

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

JaySB posted:

Except they couldn't. These guys are not anywhere near athletic/skilled enough, or they would be doing that. Every HW TUF is 80+% failed football players for a reason.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

KyloWinter posted:

Absolutely, but mostly because in football after someone gets concussed they go right back to getting smacked in the head again sometimes within minutes but definitely within weeks. In MMA when someone gets concussed, the fight is usually over, and the person is medically suspended for months on end. The number of subconcussive impacts a football player takes, especially guys on the offensive and defensive line, dwarfs the amount of strikes to the head any fighter absorbs.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Also, yeah, the number of professional NFL players is extremely small. There are about 70ish per team (counting practice squad) throughout the regular season. Less than 2300 people a year are able to say they were NFL athletes, and many of them will not play more than 2-3 years. Those majority of the players aren't getting million dollar paydays and instead make a few hundred grand, wash out, and open a car dealership before they eventually eat a bullet because they stared at a picture of their own kid for 20 minutes this morning and couldn't figure out who they were.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

KyloWinter posted:

Absolutely yes, and its not even close. Its also worse in football than in boxing.

Most of the damage doesn't come from the big, bell-ringing highlight hits. The small routine hits that happen over and over again when the offensive and defensive lines fire into each other almost a hundred times a game add up to massive brain damage over a career. You are better off getting knocked the gently caress out 6 or 7 times than play football for several years, even without ever losing consciousness.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
frankly its not that easy to switch from 1 sport to another even if you happen to be good at both. because you will be competing with people whove done the sport since they were children. additionally maybe someone would rather make a career in the sport that pays less but they happen to enjoy more. you die at the end of your life anyway so theres no point doing a job that you hate

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Almost definitely yes. They wear big helmets so the can slam their heads and be slammed in the head "without harm" but they found in amateur boxing that the helmets actually contribute to concussion rather than dampen it and there's no reason to believe that it's much different for gridiron helms.

Though I wonder if there are studies that compare American Football with Rugby in terms of concussion likelihood.

e: http://www.brain-injury-law-center.com/latest-news/head-injuries-rugby-vs-football/

There's at least this thing with some stats but it's not super deep or whatever

This argument is taking place in the boxing thread rn and its inconclusive.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3483721&pagenumber=19

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Do concussions happen a lot in MMA training?

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Fetch me my gridiron helm, boy. The king calls.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

I don't think we know, and it depends how you train. But probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Depends entirely on where you train and who with. I don't see it happening but I have heard some horror stories.

There's even a video of some guy punching people in the face to "strengthen their chin"

• Locked thread