Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

In my last two games the party had some kind of group telepathy and I eventually had to put my foot down and say “guys just because you talk in your thoughts doesn't mean it happens instantly, the mob boss/king/beholder is getting visibly annoyed at you just standing there silently.“ Had a neat moment where a telepath enemy started responding to their OOC chatter Psycho Mantis-style, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

My Lovely Horse posted:

Had a neat moment where a telepath enemy started responding to their OOC chatter Psycho Mantis-style, though.

I feel like this should involve the enemy reciting a list of their past greatest hits/the origin of their magical items/their very sad backstories at them, ala Psycho Mantis checking your savegames.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

theironjef posted:

Written language that works in pitch darkness. Makes sense as an underground written language to me.

It's worth noting that when this was conceived there was no such thing as 'darkvision' -- it was infravision all the way, and the general consensus at TSR was that you couldn't read with heat vision so any underdark races which liked books would have to come up with light sources.

Then some bright spark came up with Braille for illithids (in the aforementioned Illithiad, as I recall) and it stuck even after the game-mechanical reason for its existence disappeared.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Antivehicular posted:

I feel like this should involve the enemy reciting a list of their past greatest hits/the origin of their magical items/their very sad backstories at them, ala Psycho Mantis checking your savegames.
Or commenting on past characters and campaigns. Paladin player usually plays evil rogues, enemy gives him poo poo about making up for past sins.

... I think I need to revisit that idea some day, I realize I didn't use it to nearly its full potential.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

potatocubed posted:

It's worth noting that when this was conceived there was no such thing as 'darkvision' -- it was infravision all the way, and the general consensus at TSR was that you couldn't read with heat vision so any underdark races which liked books would have to come up with light sources.

Then some bright spark came up with Braille for illithids (in the aforementioned Illithiad, as I recall) and it stuck even after the game-mechanical reason for its existence disappeared.

Wouldn't it be easier for them to get a small imposssibly cute animal and "write" on their brain? Why would a race of psychics even need books?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Wouldn't it be easier for them to get a small imposssibly cute animal and "write" on their brain? Why would a race of psychics even need books?

Because there's still some things that illithids need to read that aren't known by thralls or can be reliably contained in one. The written "word" is still really helpful for permanent records after all. Oryndoll, the fearsome illithid temple/library/city in the FR, has miles upon miles of passages all with qualith written into the walls as the mind flayers' great repository of knowledge.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Most important question, do the Illithids read with their hands or their tentacles?

Man, this is really making me wonder if there's a CJ Cherryh RPG that revolves around language, cultural differences, and tea ceremony.
"Well, you rolled a critical failure - looks like you poured the milk before the tea! Doh hoh hoh hoh! Lose five Face, from shame!"

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jun 12, 2017

Ambi
Dec 30, 2011

Leave it to me

Angrymog posted:

Euros are a lot better about knowing other languages than native English speakers are...

We are euros, so...
It's mostly been an issue when only one member of the party knows an appropriate language, or when we're in a more rural area. Warsaw was easy enough to get along in, but somewhere like Wielun gave us some trouble. The main issue has been the Russian speaker being a socially-avoidant hacker, so as we've headed East it's been harder and harder to sweet talk people, as the two Face types only know English/Afrikaans and English/French.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I love the idea of a traditional English tea ceremony that involves four hours of protocol to make a mug of builders' :allears:

You may know the order of ingredients, but will you remember to use the tiny ceremonial hammer to chip the mug just enough?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Rockopolis posted:

Man, this is really making me wonder if there's a CJ Cherryh RPG that revolves around language, cultural differences, and tea ceremony.
"Well, you rolled a critical failure - looks like you poured the milk before the tea! Doh hoh hoh hoh! Lose five Face, from shame!"

So, who owns the Bloodsport license?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

My Lovely Horse posted:

I love the idea of a traditional English tea ceremony that involves four hours of protocol to make a mug of builders' :allears:

You may know the order of ingredients, but will you remember to use the tiny ceremonial hammer to chip the mug just enough?

And will you choose the correct brand of tea bag?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

Had a neat moment where a telepath enemy started responding to their OOC chatter Psycho Mantis-style, though.

Holy poo poo, I love that so much. My groups always have a bunch of OOC chatter, especially in combat, so I'm gonna steal that and throw them for one hell of a loop.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Rockopolis posted:

Most important question, do the Illithids read with their hands or their tentacles?
Do you read with your lips? :raise:

Rockopolis posted:

Hot goes into cold, never the other way around. :colbert:

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Illithid are interesting and have an interesting narrative flavor they can add to games.

Beholders, on the other hand, are floating balls of lies. They're the most game-y monster that has somehow survived through the various edition shifts long after most other garbage like the Catoblepas have long since gone 'extinct'. 'It's a hovering sphere that fires all kinds spell effects at high level adventurers (Because even in 1975 on some level we realized that spells were bullshit and one of the few ways to single die roll gently caress over even a Lord or High Priest)'.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Rockopolis posted:

IIRC the Illithiad said the Illithids have four fingers on each hand, one to read each 'line' of quaralith.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Oh. Darn, no :zoid: slurping books to read them. I figured it was worth asking since that's how they usually acquire warm, delicious, knowledge.

gradenko_2000 posted:

So, who owns the Bloodsport license?
The Van Damme flick?

Yawgmoth posted:

Really? I've always done it the other way round.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Rockopolis posted:

Oh. Darn, no :zoid: slurping books to read them. I figured it was worth asking since that's how they usually acquire warm, delicious, knowledge.

The Van Damme flick?

Really? I've always done it the other way round.

For safety reasons, iirc, it should be be better to pour hot into cold so that if anything splashes, it's just the cold stuff.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Yawgmoth posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with you? Putting the milk in first is the mark of Satan. Let Doc Brown educate you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtK_vfp8po8

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

NorgLyle posted:

Illithid are interesting and have an interesting narrative flavor they can add to games.

Beholders, on the other hand, are floating balls of lies. They're the most game-y monster that has somehow survived through the various edition shifts long after most other garbage like the Catoblepas have long since gone 'extinct'. 'It's a hovering sphere that fires all kinds spell effects at high level adventurers (Because even in 1975 on some level we realized that spells were bullshit and one of the few ways to single die roll gently caress over even a Lord or High Priest)'.
They're also the most iconic example of ability bloat; so many really high-level encounters have so many loving abilities that even knowing them all and what they do is a task unto itself; being able to use any significant part of them in a fight requires either an all-day combat or throwing multiples at your players. It's weird and slightly annoying, like why have a few flavorful abilities when you can have a list of 15 spell-likes? :downs: I generally just pluck ~3 interesting abilities out of the list and put them on my spreadsheet for quick access, then maybe list the rest in a single cell just in case.

Dragons are another terrible offender. I don't think I've ever given a dragon its spell list; it's usually just a couple buff spells (e.g. resist energy [type they're vulnerable to], maybe a buff to dexterity and/or a deflection bonus to AC, that sort of thing) and if asked the rest are noncombat spells. It's a smug flying battleship, why would it use magic to fight?

Serf
May 5, 2011

why would you put milk in tea

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

It cuts the bitterness

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Serf posted:

why would you put milk in tea
Same reason you put milk in coffee: you don't really like it but you want to drink it anyways.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Haystack posted:

It cuts the bitterness

why on earth is your tea bitter. what are you doing to that poor tea

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Extra nutrients. Ditto molasses.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Haystack posted:

It cuts the bitterness

Opposing party suspects you only drink Lipton. Lose 10 face points, gain two consumerist points.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yawgmoth posted:

Same reason you put milk in coffee: you don't really like it but you want to drink it anyways.
Allow me to introduce you to a Rhode Island delicacy: coffee milk.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Rockopolis posted:

The Van Damme flick?

Yes. The joke is that he had to master a tea ceremony as part of his training, so a Bloodsport RPG would have a chapter on perfecting it.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Yeah, it's been ages. I mostly remember the bit about getting tied to the trees with buzzsaws.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Serf posted:

why on earth is your tea bitter. what are you doing to that poor tea

Because black tea has tannins and the like. Tannins are bitter.

golden bubble posted:

Opposing party suspects you only drink Lipton. Lose 10 face points, gain two consumerist points.

English breakfast, usually. Which, you know, has a lot of tannins in it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

If your black tea is bitter enough that you need to cut it, you're over-steeping.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Nah. Any black tea steeped to spec will have detectable tannins, just like any red wine.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

Nah. Any black tea steeped to spec will have detectable tannins, just like any red wine.

yeah if your black tea isn't bitter you're doing it wrong

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
All coffee and tea is bad. I only drink water.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
Everything is bad for you.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

P.d0t posted:

Everything is bad for you.

Time is mankind's greatest killer. It should be outlawed.

Serf
May 5, 2011

some googling has now taught me that there is a sort of tea that is hot and not sweet. i don't understand

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Milk in coffee is nice if you want to drink it immediately but it's a bit too hot (but you don't want iced coffee)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Serf posted:

some googling has now taught me that there is a sort of tea that is hot and not sweet. i don't understand

ew why would you want sweetened tea except for iced tea

sugar is anathema to a good cup of tea

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Serf posted:

Green tea? Earl Grey? English breakfast? aren't these all non sweet teas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

the only way to drink coffee is espresso, no sipping either, just down it like a shot

• Locked thread