Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012
Just like Caska, there's no way Betchi would hang out with Guts for so long and not cause a major shake-up down the line. Hell, maybe even Serpico could be the potential owner if Farneze's brain turns to mush inside the dreamworld.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metal Pink Babble
Mar 31, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Crabtree posted:

However, most don't survive like Guts does and if he could defy fate enough to maybe use the Behlit, Slaan would absolutely love what sort of rage and carnage he'd unleash from that sort of action. There isn't exactly any rule that a sacrifice couldn't sacrifice someone else, correct? They usually just never get the opportunity to do so.

When The Count tries to offer up Guts as his second sacrifice, the Godhand first say that he doesn't mean anything to him, thus he cannot be a proper sacrifice. And also say that he was someone else's, probably loving up remembering the conversation though.

You're a reasonable fellow.

The point is that no contract mentioned. The guests for dinner were merely invited to stay for the main course. Emperor Gaiseric in his postmortem form had forgotten to button up his epidermus, and had used his Vorpal Blade to cleave the heavens from the firmament of the ghastly hellscape to deliver two offerings form their ultimate destination. Quivering and covered in ectoplasm, Guts and Caska seemed to wander as if possessed a few hundred yards from the site of sacrifice to some old man's hut which rests near a stream of iron slag and a quarry where workers communed with oni to forge hagane steel and fold it into masamune-style swords in times of you're.

The point is still there was no contract mentioned. Slan wants to gently caress Guts' brains out and Griffifth is the victim here. The apostles are the ones who need to be slain, and only King Gaiseric has the blade that goes with the armor worthy of one-thousand tetanus shots.

This conversation is bordering on spoiler territory. Think of the children who haven't finished their cartoon, reading the Berserk Manga Thread.

Metal Pink Babble
Mar 31, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of the oldest story in the book, Gilgamesh plucked Enkidu from the wild, and in casting aside aside his pelts, hoary beard, and stench, Gilgamesh knew Enkidu would be his partner and took him to a sacred temple/brothel, where the shrine maiden sold the feral warrior on the life of a civilized warrior. She used her womanly wiles, outlined in the book of the oldest trade, to convince the beastman to continue shaving and bathing on a regular basis.

Gil and Enki were the life of the party, and their gaity could be heard from one side of the walled city to the other. Eventually tragedy struck and good times were befallen by a murky cloud of hiatus. Felled by a beast with a stupid name, Enkidu's body grew cold, and his spirit was taken to the underworld. Gilgamesh, with a fervent lust to retrieve his fallen companion, ravaged his way through hell to recover his lost brother.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Crabtree posted:

When The Count tries to offer up Guts as his second sacrifice, the Godhand first say that he doesn't mean anything to him, thus he cannot be a proper sacrifice. And also say that he was someone else's, probably loving up remembering the conversation though.

They basically say that he can't be offered because he doesn't mean poo poo to the count and he's already branded and that's it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Personal_Nirvana posted:

Just like Caska, there's no way Betchi would hang out with Guts for so long and not cause a major shake-up down the line. Hell, maybe even Serpico could be the potential owner if Farneze's brain turns to mush inside the dreamworld.

I can't help but wonder about Puck. He's had the longest and closest relationship with the Behelit alongside Guts, and we're on course for bad poo poo happening to a place that's very important to him.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Jimmybob posted:

Way the hell back in volume 3, chapter 5, when the slug count's behelit activates and him and Guts go to the Godhand world, Slan says she would love it if Guts could become one of theirs. That fat one (Conrad or Ubik, can't remember) replies that Gut's hasn't been ordained by the laws of fate, so he cannot be among them. That conversation happened so long ago I don't even know if it means anything anymore.

That's probably the one I'm thinking of, I thought it happened during the Eclipse though. Given that context it sounds more like he's saying Guts can't become a God Hand, not an Apostle. So mystery solved on that.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
I figured out why this topic offends me so much; it isn't that it comes up so frequently that it's probably already been answered a dozen times in the thread, it isn't that everyone seems to make twice as many assumptions as they do state actual facts, it's that Guts literally has fought a manifested pile of intestines but no one can be bothered to actually provide any real material relevant to the conversation. By Femto's right hand, how hard is it to loving look?

Jimmybob posted:

Way the hell back in volume 3, chapter 5, when the slug count's behelit activates and him and Guts go to the Godhand world, Slan says she would love it if Guts could become one of theirs. That fat one (Conrad or Ubik, can't remember) replies that Gut's hasn't been ordained by the laws of fate, so he cannot be among them. That conversation happened so long ago I don't even know if it means anything anymore.

"Please grant me my wish. Take that man's life". "We can't do that". "Your desire, which has cleaved open space, is nothing more than an overattachment to life and a fear of death. It's not based on any personal hatred for that man". (DarkHorse)

"Not good enough Count". "That man has already been marked for sacrifice". "What's more that boy is merely your enemy".

But Jimmybob, thank you for pointing us toward the statement from Slan: "If that boy became one of ours... I'd love it". "But he hasn't been ordained by the laws of fate... so he can't be among us".

The Godhand continue to prod the Count to sacrifice his daughter until the very end. "The thread of fate has been severed".

It was very early material, so it's questionable how much Miura is required to adhere to it, but most statements in the thread seem to overreach quite a bit. As far as the Godhand know at the time, he hasn't been "ordained by the laws of fate". If Guts has a Behelit in the future, he will have been ordained by the laws of fate to make use of it.

Twice do they mention the requirement of a personal attachment to a sacrifice, though it seems a bit weak in reference to the Hawks, suggesting that Griffith is sacrificing the entire band instead of the individuals. His personally-directed revenge seems almost entirely directed at Guts, with Casca as fated to be an after-thought icing on the cake to cause Guts the greatest amount of pain before they both get chomped.

Sooo, the branded could use a Behelit, they could become Godhand (Skull Knight has been alive long enough to survive until another eclipse), they could become Apostle if they have an appropriate sacrifice, and it mostly seems that they cannot be sacrificed again (at least as much as the brand is concerned, but they can still be chomped at any point). Moreover, the Godhand has been demonstrated elsewhere to be rather short-sighted with regards to fate, herein they seem to be waiting around for choice before the thread of fate is severed, and at the Eclipse they certainly "can't foresee everything" (particularly at junction points).

... back to our regularly scheduled unsupported comments.

Metal Pink Babble
Mar 31, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

I figured out why this topic offends me so much; it isn't that it comes up so frequently that it's probably already been answered a dozen times in the thread, it isn't that everyone seems to make twice as many assumptions as they do state actual facts, it's that Guts literally has fought a manifested pile of intestines but no one can be bothered to actually provide any real material relevant to the conversation. By Femto's right hand, how hard is it to loving look?

"Please grant me my wish. Take that man's life". "We can't do that". "Your desire, which has cleaved open space, is nothing more than an overattachment to life and a fear of death. It's not based on any personal hatred for that man". (DarkHorse)

"Not good enough Count". "That man has already been marked for sacrifice". "What's more that boy is merely your enemy".

But Jimmybob, thank you for pointing us toward the statement from Slan: "If that boy became one of ours... I'd love it". "But he hasn't been ordained by the laws of fate... so he can't be among us".

The Godhand continue to prod the Count to sacrifice his daughter until the very end. "The thread of fate has been severed".

It was very early material, so it's questionable how much Miura is required to adhere to it, but most statements in the thread seem to overreach quite a bit. As far as the Godhand know at the time, he hasn't been "ordained by the laws of fate". If Guts has a Behelit in the future, he will have been ordained by the laws of fate to make use of it.

Twice do they mention the requirement of a personal attachment to a sacrifice, though it seems a bit weak in reference to the Hawks, suggesting that Griffith is sacrificing the entire band instead of the individuals. His personally-directed revenge seems almost entirely directed at Guts, with Casca as fated to be an after-thought icing on the cake to cause Guts the greatest amount of pain before they both get chomped.

Sooo, the branded could use a Behelit, they could become Godhand (Skull Knight has been alive long enough to survive until another eclipse), they could become Apostle if they have an appropriate sacrifice, and it mostly seems that they cannot be sacrificed again (at least as much as the brand is concerned, but they can still be chomped at any point). Moreover, the Godhand has been demonstrated elsewhere to be rather short-sighted with regards to fate, herein they seem to be waiting around for choice before the thread of fate is severed, and at the Eclipse they certainly "can't foresee everything" (particularly at junction points).

... back to our regularly scheduled unsupported comments.

dude, your so smart and use big words and poo poo. does it not bother you, the world of poo poo your in?

dont lose your way.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Wonder if the new episode of Berserk is out

quote:

Due to production issues, episode 22 will be delayed by approximately 4 hours. We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

a hearty lmao irl

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

The Bad Animation Machine broke down :ohdear:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That's what they put when something goes wrong on Crunchy's end.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It was okay this week.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The quality of reporting on the internet is really terrible. Polygon wrote this whole thing about how Berserk was delayed for a week because this is the last episode of the season so they had to make it good. But it's not. There's at least one more episode.

Anyway quality this week was what i expect from Berserk 2017. Not great, some awkward cuts, but nothing that screamed "we are completely terrible at our jobs" like last episode.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That shot of the knights walking towards the camera on the sewer dock was almost as bad as Guts walking towards the camera a few episodes ago. They just can't pull off that angle at all.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrV6NysVw2c

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Pretty much is the major sin of Berserk 2016/7 in its entirety. Its the cheapest poo poo they can get relying on a potential audience caring about Berserk to follow it despite how poo poo it is.

ARE YOU loving KIDDING ME? YOU COULDN'T EVEN GIVE SOUND TO THE FIRE RAGING AROUND THE BEAST OF DARKNESS AS IT BURNS?!

Motherfucker, how many times do I need to pull out a loving PS2 game doing this better? Of actually putting any sort of emotional charge into the scene?! Because it is absolutely loving pathetic that you don't even put loving basic sound in the goddamn scene.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
The anger in your posts makes me feel so much better about 2017 Berserk. Thank you all.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It was okay this week.

Alright, I'm taking this as an endorsement and will try watching it.

Edit: Schierke scenes were good, her voice actor fits the character well. And the ending was surprisingly nice, even if that Alligator man looked looked dumb as hell. Yeah, Berserk was okay this week.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jun 11, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Chiwa Saito is a great VA in general.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Why don't they just recruit video game animators I don't understand how a 12 year old game and a recent Musou have demonstrably better animation and direction

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

"Hmm, how do we show this normal human transforming into a giant monster?"

"How did it look in the comic"

"It happened between panels"

"Okay let's just do that"

"But-"

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
noted totally normal human Zodd the Immortal

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Good soup! posted:

Why don't they just recruit video game animators I don't understand how a 12 year old game and a recent Musou have demonstrably better animation and direction

It costs a lot more money and time to make video games than cheap cgi anime so the comparison isn't especially relevant, though this is clearly worse than even most cheap cgi anime.

And considering where this season is ending, we're probably getting a season 3...

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Good soup! posted:

Video game animators get paid considerably more. Budgets for games are significantly higher than for TV and they have much more time.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Good soup! posted:

One thing to keep in mind is that the vast majority of video game animation is in the gameplay, there's maybe like 50 minutes of high quality cutscenes in the whole game. Maybe.

Also both video games are still not very good, since they're only animating highlights from the story and skipping or cheaping out on huge chucks. That scene posted earlier where Shierke sees the huge demon covered in flames? The cutscene before that was literally the three of them standing in a row talking with no camera movement and barely any animation.

Also also it doesn't matter one lick if they hire the best loving animators ever born and paid them seven figure salaries per frame, if the director doesn't give a gently caress and the editing is poo poo and the schedule is rushed then we'd still be getting the same anime we're getting now. There are so, so many problems that can happen that compact into each other that it's silly to lay blame on only one department, as if fixing that one issue would magically make everything better. This is a shitshow from the bottom up, every level of production does not give a drat so we're given poo poo on a plate and told to enjoy it and gently caress off.

... wow thank god I'm not actually watching this series or I might be more pissed off than I am already.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I love the way the guy's shoulders just kinda lazily move about

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

U-DO Burger posted:

He's found peace. He doesn't have to be in the show any more.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

SatansBestBuddy posted:

One thing to keep in mind is that the vast majority of video game animation is in the gameplay, there's maybe like 50 minutes of high quality cutscenes in the whole game. Maybe.

Also both video games are still not very good, since they're only animating highlights from the story and skipping or cheaping out on huge chucks. That scene posted earlier where Shierke sees the huge demon covered in flames? The cutscene before that was literally the three of them standing in a row talking with no camera movement and barely any animation.

Also also it doesn't matter one lick if they hire the best loving animators ever born and paid them seven figure salaries per frame, if the director doesn't give a gently caress and the editing is poo poo and the schedule is rushed then we'd still be getting the same anime we're getting now. There are so, so many problems that can happen that compact into each other that it's silly to lay blame on only one department, as if fixing that one issue would magically make everything better. This is a shitshow from the bottom up, every level of production does not give a drat so we're given poo poo on a plate and told to enjoy it and gently caress off.

... wow thank god I'm not actually watching this series or I might be more pissed off than I am already.

Yeah, at the end of the day its just all hosed and all we can really do is hope they make more films - which they likley won't because people swallow this poo poo so why bother going after talent again?

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Epic win for the win.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Is this actually from the show? I almost want to start watching it for comedy purposes now.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

bloom posted:

Is this actually from the show? I almost want to start watching it for comedy purposes now.

Yeah it is

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

U-DO Burger posted:

What is even going on there? They start moving before the dude even gets squished.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Radish posted:

What is even going on there? They start moving before the dude even gets squished.

I think that's supposed to be him struggling to escape. :lol:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

okay now that I'm viewing this on a computer and not my phone, I see that Zodd isn't actually crushing the guy's skull with his hand, but is instead smushing him into the ground :lol:

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Radish posted:

I...I think it's a ragdoll physics reaction to Zodd gently placing his hand on the guy's head?? :psyduck:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

They should seriously consider crowdfunding the next attempt at a Berserk anime.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I hope you don't mean them in particular.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

A crowdfunded Lost Children anime would be good. It might actually be made if it's a movie and not a series, it's short and quite self contained and it's really good.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Berserk, 2017:

Resident Evil 2, 1998:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Makes me want to play through Parasite Eve again