Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Grey Fox posted:

He can literally explain how his views have evolved. That's a thing he can do. He is not doing that. He (or whoever is now in charge of approving his tweets) knows any further detail will stick his foot right back in his mouth, so he's saying as little as possible.

This does not happen if your views have ACTUALLY EVOLVED.

hes gonna evolve from a red-piller to a MGTOW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Jim Sterling used to be that kind of rear end in a top hat but now nobody cares or talks about it because he actually became a better person

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

CharlestonJew posted:

hes gonna evolve from a red-piller to a MGTOW

Or into a MTGOX and steal everyone's Bitcoins/wind up in Japanese gaijin prison.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
We should start a change.org petition to demand they make the villains a cult in Montana instead.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

For side by side comparison. Note that the sony chart is e3 only (they do ps expo too) and seems to be missing some titles as well like dqb and woff according to univbee

Its really a total abdication on ms' part of its role in 1st party dev

I asked the chart creator on NeoGAF about his list methodology and why World of Final Fantasy wasn't there, this was their response.

quote:

No, these are announcements made throughout an entire year.

Normally most of MS's announcement are just at E3, but Sony has 2-3 events per year.

As for why WoFF is excluded, if I were to include every single game announced the list would be too long, so I made my own creative decision to limit the number of 3rd-party games included. Only those that are major/lifetime exclusive/etc.

dodecahardon
Oct 20, 2008

Motto posted:

Jim Sterling used to be that kind of rear end in a top hat but now nobody cares or talks about it because he actually became a better person

like most people, i dont care or talk about jim sterling because i dont know who that is, nor do i care to know

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
some real hard hitting questions on this stream

are there any goatse references??

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Apologies if this has been asked before but is there a summary of reveals/highlights anywhere in this thread? I just discovered this and I fear I won't get through all 200 pages before the end of today when I asked this same question in the 2nd thread.

:unsmith:

http://e3recap.com/

univbee posted:

Or into a MTGOX and steal everyone's Bitcoins/wind up in Japanese gaijin prison.

Theres a old videogame where womens moved to venus and mens moved to mars. They develop their own cultures and of course, they start a war against each other.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Charles Mansion posted:

like most people, i dont care or talk about jim sterling because i dont know who that is, nor do i care to know
He's way more famous and interesting than The Last Night guy.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm glad we already have our "I'm too cool to know who the YouTube guy is and I want to make sure everyone knows it" post for this mention of Jim Sterling. Sometimes that takes half a page or more.

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!
The xX Xbox Xx at least makes me think that hardware has advanced enough for the next generation of consoles to be pretty cool, whenever we get there.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grey Fox posted:

He can literally explain how his views have evolved. That's a thing he can do. He is not doing that. He (or whoever is now in charge of approving his tweets) knows any further detail will stick his foot right back in his mouth, so he's saying as little as possible.

This does not happen if your views have ACTUALLY EVOLVED.

Or maybe getting a million messages from people yelling at you how you're an evil person and should kill yourself mixed in with a few legitimate hey that's kinda a really bad take dude messages triggers a defensive response by people to double down instead of immediately yielding to the demands of strangers

Look, the dude has lovely views, no debate. But it seems this method only creates more Notch-esque people and further emboldens the shitheads. People who spend all of their time in front of a computer (making a computer game requires a lot of time doing this) instead of going outside and dealing with other people tends to increase the chance of having terrible political views. It's not like you can brute force everyone into radical Marxism-Leninism overnight.

Motto posted:

~*ironic fascist dictator gimmick*~

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Probad posted:

The xX Xbox Xx at least makes me think that hardware has advanced enough for the next generation of consoles to be pretty cool, whenever we get there.

The next xBox will just be .::Box::., aka dot-colon-colon-box-colon-colon-dot. Then they release a new version simply called "Enigma machine" or ".::Box::.?".

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
I think his views are really good and I want to hear more about them.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Motto posted:

What did he used to say? For as long as I've been watching the Jimquisition, he's been pretty consistent in his views on things. The most he's said is he has some issues with some of the stuff in Anita Sarkeesian's videos, but he followed that up by saying the Gamergate crowd has basically made it impossible to ever really have that discussion

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I'm gonna buy a copy just to upset others.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Taintrunner posted:

Look, the dude has lovely views, no debate. But it seems this method only creates more Notch-esque people and further emboldens the shitheads. People who spend all of their time in front of a computer (making a computer game requires a lot of time doing this) instead of going outside and dealing with other people tends to increase the chance of having terrible political views. It's not like you can brute force everyone into radical Marxism-Leninism overnight.

~*ironic fascist dictator gimmick*~

Yeah but you can just not give them money which is easier.

Macaluso posted:

What did he used to say? For as long as I've been watching the Jimquisition, he's been pretty consistent in his views on things. The most he's said is he has some issues with some of the stuff in Anita Sarkeesian's videos, but he followed that up by saying the Gamergate crowd has basically made it impossible to ever really have that discussion

He was never that bad. I think he made some transphobic jokes and said some slightly right wing stuff about 10 years ago. He says he changed his ways after he (jokingly) called someone a feminazi slut and got called out for it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harrow posted:

I'm glad we already have our "I'm too cool to know who the YouTube guy is and I want to make sure everyone knows it" post for this mention of Jim Sterling. Sometimes that takes half a page or more.

To be fair it's not a very high bar to pass to be too cool to know who Jim Sterling is.

Bill Buckner
Aug 14, 2005
The real solution to the evil game dev menace is to stop looking for tweets to get mad over and just play video games that look fun.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

RBA Starblade posted:

To be fair it's not a very high bar to pass to be too cool to know who Jim Sterling is.

For goons it might as well be Mt. Everest.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Steve2911 posted:

Yeah but you can just not give them money which is easier.

Oh god no I never suggested actually buying that game it looks terrible

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Taintrunner posted:

Or maybe getting a million messages from people yelling at you how you're an evil person and should kill yourself mixed in with a few legitimate hey that's kinda a really bad take dude messages triggers a defensive response by people to double down instead of immediately yielding to the demands of strangers

No, but you can make it clear that those toxic views don't deserve the platform or publicity that Microsoft seems (seemed?) willing to give them.

As I said before, he's had no shortage of opportunities to confront and own his terrible behavior BEFORE this game got a spotlight at E3. He doesn't seem that deterred if he's making an entire game centered around his ridiculous and absurd political beliefs.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Bill Buckner posted:

The real solution to the evil game dev menace is to stop looking for tweets to get mad over and just play video games that look fun.

I'm just gonna not support games made by weird assholes, it's not like the world can't do without some pixel art sci-fi game about how feminists have destroyed society.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Bill Buckner posted:

and, if people were to not buy anything produced under bad working conditions or that have one or more people on staff who voted for Trump, then they would buy a few indies a year

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah, but I think you immediately put yourself right back under that bar when you are compelled to post to make sure we all know you're too cool to know who Jim Sterling is.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harrow posted:

Yeah, but I think you immediately put yourself right back under that bar when you are compelled to post to make sure we all know you're too cool to know who Jim Sterling is.

I didn't say I passed it, regrettably.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Real hurthling! posted:

For side by side comparison. Note that the sony chart is e3 only (they do ps expo too) and seems to be missing some titles as well like dqb and woff according to univbee

Its really a total abdication on ms' part of its role in 1st party dev

Is there a Nintendo one, that's just like 3 first partys a year forever? Actually their E3 one would look like trash because of directs.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I didn't say I passed it, regrettably.

And clearly neither do I.

Sadly, I am cursed to know the names of several gaming YouTubers :negative:

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

i cant believe its over i cant live anymore

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
live not live

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grey Fox posted:

No, but you can make it clear that those toxic views don't deserve the platform or publicity that Microsoft seems (seemed?) willing to give them.

As I said before, he's had no shortage of opportunities to confront and own his terrible behavior BEFORE this game got a spotlight at E3. He doesn't seem that deterred if he's making an entire game centered around his ridiculous and absurd political beliefs.

At that point you need to ask yourself just what Microsoft is willing to put out there as far as games publishing is concerned if these types of faux-intellectual screeds against women is something they want to slap their name on, it's not like he's been closeted about this at all.

Or maybe he couldn't confront it because the internet creates intellectual bubbles that insulate people from self-actualizing because there's no shortage of people to surround yourself with that immediately agree with everything you say? So what you perceive as a universal standard of morality (and for the most part, I'm sure I'd agree with) is harder to reach and influence people like this guy in a way that they could really think this through? The vast majority of the Internet is misinformation and bullshit presented as truth that it's created a shitton of people with idiotic views on society. I mean, look at Notch and his lovely views combined with his billions in our hosed up faux-meritocracy society where the majority of Americans see wealth as a natural indicator of a person's value. There's greater structural problems here creating these views that hounding one random guy on Twitter every couple of weeks is never going to resolve or even convince these people their views are wrong.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Anthem is kinda like a Horizont Dawn Zero MMO-lite.

Yes or not?

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!

Tei posted:

Yes or not?

Anthem is kind of like a lot of games that already exist, based on what I've read here

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Tei posted:

Yes or not?

It's Destiny/The Division

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Probad posted:

Anthem is kind of like a lot of games that already exist, based on what I've read here

To be fair all games are mixtures of existing games.

If it has a cool enough world and the combat is enjoyable it could be a good little thing.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Taintrunner posted:

At that point you need to ask yourself just what Microsoft is willing to put out there as far as games publishing is concerned if these types of faux-intellectual screeds against women is something they want to slap their name on, it's not like he's been closeted about this at all.

Or maybe he couldn't confront it because the internet creates intellectual bubbles that insulate people from self-actualizing because there's no shortage of people to surround yourself with that immediately agree with everything you say? So what you perceive as a universal standard of morality (and for the most part, I'm sure I'd agree with) is harder to reach and influence people like this guy in a way that they could really think this through? The vast majority of the Internet is misinformation and bullshit presented as truth that it's created a shitton of people with idiotic views on society. I mean, look at Notch and his lovely views combined with his billions in our hosed up faux-meritocracy society where the majority of Americans see wealth as a natural indicator of a person's value. There's greater structural problems here creating these views that hounding one random guy on Twitter every couple of weeks is never going to resolve or even convince these people their views are wrong.
I don't think Microsoft did its due diligence on this guy. Period.

Some people have to hit rock bottom before they can confront thier behavior.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Probad posted:

I am interested in your opinions / views.

Based on the mmo-lite cliches and that Destiny exist. I am going to claim is some mix of Wildlands with Destiny, with a bit of Titalfall and another bit of Fallout for good mix.

Please reply namedroping at least 5 other games or genres.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Holding off on any judgement on Anthem because that trailer was pretty much the same as The Division and Destiny and those are kind of slogs. Maybe it'll be different but all I'm picturing is late game Divison enemies where you have to shoot a looter in a beanie 50 times in the head to kill them

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I can't wait to see how much the real Anthem looks nothing like what we saw in the gameplay trailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
tbf to the guy there's no way people would be talking about his game this much if he hadn't made those tweets

• Locked thread