Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Does it have the skin or not? If so, you need to do a deep scoring to create the cracklin and make it palatable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Veritek83 posted:

Got some pork belly at the butcher yesterday, about 6 lbs. Anybody have advice for/experience with belly on the PBC?

look up pork belly burnt ends. they're loving amazing!

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Babby's first ribs and chicken

The chicken turned out loving FANTASTIC. Generous bone-in chicken breasts, brined overnight, little bit of salt/pepper/olive oil before smoking for 3ish hrs, finished on grill to get internal temp up for salivating guests.

The ribs tasted fantastic, but they were kinda dry, not sure why. I did a standard 3-2-1. I feel the final 1 hr killed them, they looked perfect after pulling from foil, just soggy and not smoker like. I did 225 degrees meat up for the first 3, light brown sugar and butter in a foil wrap for 2 hrs meat down, then final hour was meat up to dry out. They weren't small either so not sure why they dried so much. Any tips? Smoker is a masterbuilt electric 32" I thought about maybe doing half racks next time so they aren't near sides of smoker and taking off 30 mins from the first stage. Thoughts?

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

qutius posted:

look up pork belly burnt ends. they're loving amazing!

They really look it. I'm doing it with salt, pepper and garlic powder this time and sliced, but pork belly burnt ends for sure next time.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I have a maserbuilt offset that I got off of craigslist for $20. It is rusty and leaky as hell so of course maintaining temp can be difficult sometimes. It seems to be a lot easier on warmer days which is to be expected I guess. It works fine for pork butt but I am thinking of upgrading. Since I have to convince my wife of its utility I am probably looking as WSM vs PBC. Anyone here who has used both? What are your impressions?

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Had 2 racks of ribs fall into the coals in my PBC yesterday. I must have caught it within minutes of them falling, as they were still perfectly fine. Also, I was drunk.

Smoking kicks rear end

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

If you need to be sober to use the PBC properly that would be a huge drawback...

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
can confirm sobriety isn't necessary for PBC operation

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

therobit posted:

If you need to be sober to use the PBC properly that would be a huge drawback...

You don't, I just had insanely huge racks and forgot to double-hook them.

Veritek83 posted:

This pork belly looks amazing!

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

djfooboo posted:

Babby's first ribs and chicken

The chicken turned out loving FANTASTIC. Generous bone-in chicken breasts, brined overnight, little bit of salt/pepper/olive oil before smoking for 3ish hrs, finished on grill to get internal temp up for salivating guests.

The ribs tasted fantastic, but they were kinda dry, not sure why. I did a standard 3-2-1. I feel the final 1 hr killed them, they looked perfect after pulling from foil, just soggy and not smoker like. I did 225 degrees meat up for the first 3, light brown sugar and butter in a foil wrap for 2 hrs meat down, then final hour was meat up to dry out. They weren't small either so not sure why they dried so much. Any tips? Smoker is a masterbuilt electric 32" I thought about maybe doing half racks next time so they aren't near sides of smoker and taking off 30 mins from the first stage. Thoughts?

Can i ask how you smoked the chicken exactly? My past attempts gave me this horrible leather skin but yours look great.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

ChaseSP posted:

Can i ask how you smoked the chicken exactly? My past attempts gave me this horrible leather skin but yours look great.

You need high heat to crisp up the skin. 350+.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Veritek83 posted:

nice job, that looks loving delicious!

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

ChaseSP posted:

Brined for 12 hrs, patted dry with paper towels, salt and pepper, light coat of olive oil, place on 225 degree smoker for 3 hours, finished on grill to bring up temp but that didn't change skin much if all.

https://www.thismamacooks.com/2016/06/dadgum-good-brined-smoked-chicken-quarters-recipe.html

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Veritek83 posted:

Inspired!

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
I made ribs this weekend, they were delicious.

I pulled that rack off right when they start to crack when doing the bend test, they had a perfect bite and pull off the bone. I left two others on for another 30 - 45 minutes and those came off the bone very clean. Tasty!

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Look at the bark on that, nice

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Okay so I'm new and did my first pork shoulder this weekend on my PBC. The pork shoulder I bought from HEB's Central Market came pre-trimmed and looked great but when I brought it home, I noticed the bottom side of it was just fat (about a 1/4 of an inch). I trimmed some of it off but it was still showing 100% fat on that side. Well, when I put it on the grill I put it fat side down at first and I think I charred it a bit due to flare ups. My shoulder still came out good but I'm curious if I should have removed all of that fat, or just started on the non-fat side and flipped it when the coals had gone down a little?

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

RisqueBarber posted:

Okay so I'm new and did my first pork shoulder this weekend on my PBC. The pork shoulder I bought from HEB's Central Market came pre-trimmed and looked great but when I brought it home, I noticed the bottom side of it was just fat (about a 1/4 of an inch). I trimmed some of it off but it was still showing 100% fat on that side. Well, when I put it on the grill I put it fat side down at first and I think I charred it a bit due to flare ups. My shoulder still came out good but I'm curious if I should have removed all of that fat, or just started on the non-fat side and flipped it when the coals had gone down a little?

I go fat side up and leave it that way. no turning except to change positions in my offset necessary.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

I thought this was charred octopus when I first saw it and thought the thread was heading in an interesting direction.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
Hello thread! I'm looking into upgrading from my cheap offset smoker to an upright unit that I can do multiple cuts of meat simultaneously. What are people's opinion on Bradley smokers? I'm not sold on their pellets, more interested in charcoal/wood chips, but the automation of the Bradley unit is nice.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Krycek posted:

Hello thread! I'm looking into upgrading from my cheap offset smoker to an upright unit that I can do multiple cuts of meat simultaneously. What are people's opinion on Bradley smokers? I'm not sold on their pellets, more interested in charcoal/wood chips, but the automation of the Bradley unit is nice.

Get a Pit Barrel Cooker.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
Weber Smokey Mountain with a BBQGuru type device.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Krycek posted:

if you want an upright charcoal smoker the Weber Smokey Mountain is the gold standard. Simple, inexpensive, used by prize-winning pro BBQers

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Going to toss on two chickens tonight spatchcock style. Then make stock.

Lame, but hey, smoking meat.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Krycek posted:

Get a Broil King Keg
Especially if you are in a place that gets god-awful cold and windy - double walled and insulated. That and a iQ Stoker and you are golden. I easily nail 225F for 15-20 hours without adding charcoal, and just as easily can get it to 700-800F for scorching steaks. Unlike an egg you do not have to worry about breaking it. The more expensive version just gives you a different kind of vent at the bottom and side shelves. Really not worth the additional cash that could go toward the stoker.

If you both smoke/grill 365 days a year, this is a great choice.

Action shot at -3F

Have never used it, but it easily attaches to a trailer hitch, if you are into that sort of thing.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jun 13, 2017

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Man I wish I could get it in the UK for that price I'd get it straight away. Its £765 here so would be twice the price of any other I'd buy but I'm still tempted since it removes a lot of the hassle from living somewhere fairly windy

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
One mod I am considering before next winter is hooking up a long intake hose from the garage. It holds temp like a champ, but when it stokes with cold air it needs to overcompensate due to the air being cold. :)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I made some pork belly burnt ends, as mentioned a few days back

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Fog Tripper posted:

Unlike an egg you do not have to worry about breaking it.

How the heck are you breaking an egg?

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

sellouts posted:

You can tip it and thar she blows

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

sellouts posted:

He used it to make an omlet.

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
I'm so sick of pork butts, but apparently my MES spits them out so perfectly that that is all anyone ever wants. at $1.40/lb I don't really care, but I am sick of eating pulled pork at lunch for weeks on end. I'm thinking next will be brisket, I had terrible luck with ribs.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
It's funny. Pulled pork used to be by far my least favorite standard BBQ food, and ribs were probably my favorite. Since I started smoking my own, I've really grown to like my own pulled pork a lot, but I haven't really enjoyed ribs that much.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

BeastOfExmoor posted:

It's funny. Pulled pork used to be by far my least favorite standard BBQ food, and ribs were probably my favorite. Since I started smoking my own, I've really grown to like my own pulled pork a lot, but I haven't really enjoyed ribs that much.

Same. I like pulled pork because you get more food roughly the same price as a rack of ribs and it's more versatile (sandwiches, in eggs, tacos, etc.).

Love dat bark...

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Any tips to cooking a flat brisket? I'm having trouble finding a whole brisket so I'll bother with that some other time.

Plan is mostly the same as I've done for pulled pork. Find some rub recipe, cook it at 225F until temp is around 203F and pull it to set for a couple hours. ?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Larrymer posted:

Any tips to cooking a flat brisket? I'm having trouble finding a whole brisket so I'll bother with that some other time.

Plan is mostly the same as I've done for pulled pork. Find some rub recipe, cook it at 225F until temp is around 203F and pull it to set for a couple hours. ?

see my post a page or two back. plan on more time than you think (a 5lb took 15hrs@225 no crutch)

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

toplitzin posted:

see my post a page or two back. plan on more time than you think (a 5lb took 15hrs@225 no crutch)

I thought you did a full one, I was even following along for that. :doh: Thanks.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I have 20lbs of pork picnics currently in a sous-vide bath at 165 for the next 21 hours, tomorrow night I will smoke them for 3-ish hours until they're 203 internal. This is for my wife's work lunch on Friday.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

I got two racks of Wagyu beef ribs, marble score about 6-7 :getin:

I was gonna add a photo but I'm phone posting and not at home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

sellouts posted:

Dude, ceramics are brittle as gently caress.