Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Grand Fromage posted:

Once TNG got established it seems like Frakes just does whatever the gently caress he wants. I imagine with the syndication and all he was set for life from TNG so why not.

I'm sure he does fine from Trek residuals but he's also (like many Trek alumni) a working Los Angeles TV director. He's directed episodes of Dollhouse, Leverage, Falling Skies, Castle, Burn Notice, Agents of SHIELD, NCIS: LA and he's going to be directing an episode of The Orville. That last one is probably just because Seth MacFarlane thinks it's funny to have Frakes direct his vanity Star Trek parody but hey, a gig's a gig.

Brannon Braga and Robert Duncan McNeill will also be each directing an episode of The Orville. Not sure how Roxann Dawson missed that job, but maybe she was just too busy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Grand Fromage posted:

Once TNG got established it seems like Frakes just does whatever the gently caress he wants. I imagine with the syndication and all he was set for life from TNG so why not.

I know he's a bigger actor from a much more popular series, but I wonder if TNG residuals are still paying out the big bucks. Here's Garrett Wang with a 24 cent residual check for Voyager:

https://twitter.com/garrettrwang/status/456569754841403393?lang=en

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

He pre-empted me. I was going to be a Lyft driver but as Dracula.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Stealing food out of Jerry Hardin's mouth!

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

I'm pretty sure you can't do that.

You can't run for congress as Mark Twain in the US? Americans must really hate foreigners for their freedoms.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Rhyno posted:

You may not be able to do so successfully and there's probably a rule of some kind against campaigning as "another person," though Twain is well known to be dead. But I suspect the First Amendment defends your right to campaign however you want especially if that involves huge amounts of unidentified campaign cash

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

shadok posted:

You can't run for congress as Mark Twain in the US? Americans must really hate foreigners for their freedoms.

This was the strangest costume contest Bob Smith ever entered. So much paperwork and questions just to walk on stage as Elmo. Most of the other participants weren't even in their costumes.
"We would like to announce your new MP..."
He stood frozen in shock as an attendant brought him a microphone.

vermin fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 12, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nessus posted:

You may not be able to do so successfully and there's probably a rule of some kind against campaigning as "another person," though Twain is well known to be dead. But I suspect the First Amendment defends your right to campaign however you want especially if that involves huge amounts of unidentified campaign cash

He's free to run but you can't campaign under the guise of someone else with intent to take office as that persona. Like say a debate, he couldn't debate as Twain.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Lester Shy posted:

I know he's a bigger actor from a much more popular series, but I wonder if TNG residuals are still paying out the big bucks. Here's Garrett Wang with a 24 cent residual check for Voyager:

I can't recall Voyager airing any place in syndication in 2014.

I wonder how those checks look now with 5 hours of Voyager a day on BBC-A.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Why would he try to join a house that has no honor?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Rhyno posted:

He's free to run but you can't campaign under the guise of someone else with intent to take office as that persona. Like say a debate, he couldn't debate as Twain.

So is Vermin Supreme cool because nobody else goes by Vermin Supreme or what?

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

Residuals work on a sliding scale, though, so the more your show is run, the less you get per airing.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I wonder how Netflix payouts work. Are Stewart and crew getting a buck or so every time I play a TNG ep?

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

WampaLord posted:

I wonder how Netflix payouts work. Are Stewart and crew getting a buck or so every time I play a TNG ep?

I do remember when Dan Harmon's "Harmontown" documentary came out, he said something to the effect of "It's on Netflix and also a bunch of on-demand services like iTunes, Google Play, and the rest. If you want to support us and can afford it, please watch it somewhere other than Netflix because they only pay a tiny fraction of what the others do."

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

I choose to believe that hairstyles are regulated. Like how Klingons, Vulcans, and Romulans all have the same hairstyle. Only the Federation's female officer hairstyles are also delineated to rank and station.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Lester Shy posted:

You probably have to be in good episodes to get more money.

Are there even any good Kim episodes? Good Kim scenes?

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

hiddenriverninja posted:

You probably have to be in good episodes to get more money.

Are there even any good Kim episodes? Good Kim scenes?

I don't hate Timeless.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Rhyno posted:

I've been saying that alot while reading the news for the last year.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

hiddenriverninja posted:

Good Kim scenes?
He dies in one.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

bull3964 posted:

BBC America still has to pay for things. They aren't uniquely funded like the BBC.

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

Xibanya posted:

So is Vermin Supreme cool because nobody else goes by Vermin Supreme or what?

His real name is Vermin Love Supreme and he has been living with that identity since the 80's at least. I also don't think he actually gets on ballots too often, he mostly fills out the forms to get into fringe primary debates.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Cojawfee posted:

BBC America still has to pay for things. They aren't uniquely funded like the BBC.

That was my point. BBC-A shelled out for Voyager syndication this year. I don't think Voyager was in syndication prior to that since its run ended on Spike in 2010. So, from 2010-2017 it really wasn't airing anywhere, so not much for residuals.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

bull3964 posted:

That was my point. BBC-A shelled out for Voyager syndication this year. I don't think Voyager was in syndication prior to that since its run ended on Spike in 2010. So, from 2010-2017 it really wasn't airing anywhere, so not much for residuals.

:eng101: Voyager has been broadcast as part of the All Star Trek block on Heroes & Icons since July of last year.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Never heard of the channel before.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bull3964 posted:

Never heard of the channel before.

It's a broadcast subchannel that's been around for a few years, usually connected to CW affiliates.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Doggles posted:

:eng101: Voyager has been broadcast as part of the All Star Trek block on Heroes & Icons since July of last year.

COME THIS JULY MAY

COME WHAT MAY

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Timby posted:

It's a broadcast subchannel that's been around for a few years, usually connected to CW affiliates.

Yep, it doesn't broadcast everywhere, but it came to my city last year shortly before they started their All Star Trek block. More and more little broadcast channels are starting to pop up with great syndicated content. I've got Heroes & Icons for Star Trek, and even more recently Comet for Stargate SG-1 and Mystery Science Theater 3000. Get yourself a $20 antenna and see what you can pick up!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
There was a local Houston channel called The Kube that used to run TOS and Voyager late at night a few years ago.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure Space here in Canada runs Voyager.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Franks more then likely makes a poo poo ton of money just from conventions, where Wang doesn't l.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The TNG crew makes mad money at cons, like insane amounts.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

In my mind, the producers must have hated Wang so much they only gave Harry the dorkiest traits, like being first chair for the clarinet at the Academy.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

That check is way too big for anyone who had anything to do with any part of Voyager.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

hiddenriverninja posted:

In my mind, the producers must have hated Wang so much they only gave Harry the dorkiest traits, like being first chair for the clarinet at the Academy.

I'm pretty sure that's just what they thought all Asian Americans were like. It's a good thing they didn't make him actually Korean or he would have gone around talking about kimchi and comparing Kazons to the Japanese or something. As it is, they never actually settled on a specific ethnicity for him, so all that was left was the "well behaved/good at math" stuff.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Watching Q Who. It's intense and well-directed, but I'm slightly distracted by my old question of why they bring the civilian saucer along on this ultra-dangerous mission of exploration.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

"The technology required to achieve this biological and artificial interface is far beyond our capabilities"

Come on Data, it's the 23rd or 24th century. This brings up possibly the biggest flaw with Star Trek which is how much it's missing cyber.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The borg are so cyber they almost make up for it but I'm not sure it's constructive to have them as villains.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

The borg are so cyber they almost make up for it but I'm not sure it's constructive to have them as villains.

Geordi and Picard aren't enough for you?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Angry Salami posted:

Geordi and Picard aren't enough for you?

Are you talking about how much Picard loves his Holodeck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Watching Q Who. It's intense and well-directed, but I'm slightly distracted by my old question of why they bring the civilian saucer along on this ultra-dangerous mission of exploration.

Look, most ships just scan star farts for 7 years.