Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Eela6 posted:

I like all of these changes.

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Shadow225 posted:

Players aren't playing the Invocation lottery; they are playing the Force of Will lottery.
Around here anyway people really tapped themselves out buying BFZ and OGW, hoping for expeditions. Like sitting down before FNM and cracking a box. Like buying fatpacks at Wal-Mart for an extra 20%. There was a serious dip in limited FNM attendance when people's credit card statements caught up with them. It's all anecdotal, but it feels like people aren't keen to do that all over again.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
The changes really are good after looking at it a few times. Its true, everyone is a lot more hyped about a large set than they are about a small set. Will that continue now every set is a large set? Hard to say.

The core set coming back is going to be extremely healthy for organized play. It does however eat into the design space of modern masters though as far as set construction goes.

Gustav posted:

Glad to see core sets are coming back. I always enjoyed drafting core sets, never understood the hate.

Core sets weren't opened as well as the regular sets were towards the end of cycle. It was partly because the sets weren't put together very well and also because core sets are hard to make exciting every year. I am sure it was hard to justify making less $$ on a set that is crucial to balancing your organized play when designers got it in their head that they could do it with regular sets. I am glad it failed. Core sets being gone and modern masters has proven without a doubt how important reprints are to a healthy mtg game.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

little munchkin posted:

Gonna be great for limited, I don't think a format has ever been improved by adding an additional set.

Eldritch Moon was better than SOI but it was in spite of the SOI pack, not because of it. Eldritch Moon as its own large set would have been even better.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Shadow225 posted:

I feel like part of the point of the Masterpieces were missed. The reason the Amonket Invocations failed was because they were A. Ugly as Sin and B. Largely not valuable. Players aren't playing the Invocation lottery; they are playing the Force of Will lottery.

They are kind of forced to make some of the masterpieces garbage if they keep printing them every set

Anyways the new core sets sound like Magic Origins type of deals, which is pretty rad

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?

Shadow225 posted:

I feel like part of the point of the Masterpieces were missed. The reason the Amonket Invocations failed was because they were A. Ugly as Sin and B. Largely not valuable. Players aren't playing the Invocation lottery; they are playing the Force of Will lottery.

And the reason they weren't valuable is because there's a very small subset of old cards that could be used as Masterpieces for this set, so they had to scrounge the bottom of the barrel looking for anything vaguely related to gods or sphinxes or... I dunno, camels. Better to just skip it and use Masterpieces in the sets where it makes sense.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

dragon enthusiast posted:

They are kind of forced to make some of the masterpieces garbage if they keep printing them every set

Anyways the new core sets sound like Magic Origins type of deals, which is pretty rad

I don't agree with that exactly. I think they printed 25 invocations right? Could have probably printed 10 or less and it would have been more exciting. Trimming out the standard lottery versions would be a big help.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

evilweasel posted:

i feel like they don't quite grasp that the invocations were terrible because the cards looked like garbage

if you could have an original force of will vs that abomination you'd pick the original every time, but with the expeditions and inventions you'd probably want the new one

I actually don't like the expeditions, I think a lot of them look like this dark thing in the middle of the card. I do like inventions and think lotus petal is very pretty

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Sickening posted:

I don't agree with that exactly. I think they printed 25 invocations right? Could have probably printed 10 or less and it would have been more exciting. Trimming out the standard lottery versions would be a big help.

there's 30 in Amonkhet and 24 more in Hour of Devastation. It's just too many.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Elyv posted:

I actually don't like the expeditions, I think a lot of them look like this dark thing in the middle of the card. I do like inventions and think lotus petal is very pretty

The design around inventions was the best of them all. These cards are the loving pinnacle of magic card design.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

Temur Energy. The deck is straight gas. I think it's T1 even with Marvel in the format.

What made you change your mind?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Oh yeah now we can get more outsider-designed cards like in M15 hell yeah

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

DangerDongs posted:

What made you change your mind?

I got smashed by in the top 8 of a PPTQ 2 weeks ago then played the deck the last 2 weekends with very good results. It's very strong and a billion times more fun to play than Marvel.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

evilweasel posted:

i feel like they don't quite grasp that the invocations were terrible because the cards looked like garbage

if you could have an original force of will vs that abomination you'd pick the original every time, but with the expeditions and inventions you'd probably want the new one

I'll straight up trade one of my play sets for the new invocation even if the art itself is garbage. The template is great - the problem is they didn't go full on ancient Mew papyrus on it.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Elyv posted:

we're going to end up with some very large standards if there are no small sets moving forward

that's not me passing judgment, just a statement of fact

Considering that the biggest standard ever was also one of the best (cold snap, 3 tsp block sets, 4 lor block sets, core set), I am totally okay with this.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Sickening posted:

The core set coming back is going to be extremely healthy for organized play. It does however eat into the design space of modern masters though as far as set construction goes.
I don't disagree, but the way Maro emphasized how the core will be aimed at new players suggests there will still be a niche for Masters products. That's where they'll put all the Ad Nauseams and other arcane poo poo I don't understand.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Gustav posted:

And the reason they weren't valuable is because there's a very small subset of old cards that could be used as Masterpieces for this set, so they had to scrounge the bottom of the barrel looking for anything vaguely related to gods or sphinxes or... I dunno, camels. Better to just skip it and use Masterpieces in the sets where it makes sense.

This is the reason I think the decision not to continue Masterpieces in every set was made before the outcry over how ugly the Amonkhet ones were. There just aren't enough cards they can print that people care about. I saw it all the time where people who opened up a bad Masterpiece looked more disappointed than if their pack contained just a foil common.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Elyv posted:

I love how pretty the Sol Ring one is. I should also get a Cloudstone Curio one, as it looks amazing too.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

OgreNoah posted:

I love how pretty the Sol Ring one is. I should also get a Cloudstone Curio one, as it looks amazing too.

I need a Cloudstone Curio for my Animar deck, so people know how hosed they are.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
When even Maro admits "standard has had a rough year", you know they're panicking.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Count Bleck posted:

I need a Cloudstone Curio for my Animar deck, so people know how hosed they are.

That's exactly what I use it for. I only break out the Animar deck when people insist on playing combo decks over and over.

"Yeah, this is how the rest of us feel when you pull that nonsense every game."

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
They also front loaded the Kaladesh Inventions in the big set and the small set got feels really shallow despite having plenty of power cards. Would you rather open a Sol Ring or a Defense Grid?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I'm generally a-ok with these changes.

Curious what's next for today?
"There's a lot of cool stuff coming your way (a bunch of which you'll hear about later today)"

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Star Man posted:

They also front loaded the Kaladesh Inventions in the big set and the small set got feels really shallow despite having plenty of power cards. Would you rather open a Sol Ring or a Defense Grid?

both cards are vintage playable so they're basically the same, right

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Soul Glo posted:

This could be cool. Good for Standard, anyway.

mcmagic posted:

Changes seem fine. Though the core sets were never all that exciting to me...

Eela6 posted:

I like all of these changes.

Gustav posted:

Glad to see core sets are coming back. I always enjoyed drafting core sets, never understood the hate.

C-Euro posted:

Everything he said about (past) core sets in that article is stuff that I agree with. Not sure what the new ones will look like but I'm willing to try them out especially if they're going to be easier to draft (I am bad at draft)

Ugh, all magic players do is complain!!!

Walked posted:

I'm generally a-ok with these changes.

Curious what's next for today?
"There's a lot of cool stuff coming your way (a bunch of which you'll hear about later today)"

Hour of Devastation spoilers? Or is it still too early?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i have never actually seen this thread have a consensus opinion but it's actually nice to see we're all on the same page about the change

well, until a post comes along shattering this illusion

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Seem like good changes to me. I probably want core sets to be more interesting than they will actually be, but it seems like the best way to help fix issues with Standard when reprints in the new "blocks" aren't workable. Also like fewer limitations on set mechanics carrying over.

I like invocations OK but agree that their current pace/strategy wasn't sustainable.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I think we also have a concensus to punch Andrew Jessup's face until it's reduced to atoms.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

For once the changes are "we looked at things that people like and decided to do those things more often while doing the things people don't like less often".

Star Man posted:

I think we also have a concensus to punch Andrew Jessup's face until it's reduced to atoms.

I just googled him and he does have a very punchable face. What's the deal with him?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i just want someone to punch him a chin

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Star Man posted:

Punch his brother first. He's:

1) A gigantic rear end in a top hat (Andrew is actually relatively friendly)
2) Bad at Magic
3) Has an equally punchable face.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ThePeavstenator posted:

For once the changes are "we looked at things that people like and decided to do those things more often while doing the things people don't like less often".

I just googled him and he does have a very punchable face. What's the deal with him?

he's just an SCG grinder as far as I know, tbh i'm not sure where all the hate comes from

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

hot take: people shouldn't be beaten up for their appearance

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Elyv posted:

Things we pretend to believe, but never actually live by.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Them bringing back core sets is a good thing, now we can have reprints of cards that we really want.

Like Crucible of Worlds.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Bring back exalted for a set so we can have cheap Noble Hierarchs again.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Andrew Jessup is fine and actually a very good magic player.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Elyv posted:

it's actually really normal and healthy for grown adults to fantasize about assaulting people for the crime of being slightly more out-of-shape than they are

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Star Man posted:

Bring back exalted for a set so we can have cheap Noble Hierarchs again.

Prediction: Will be an "Expedition" equivalent in Return to Alara.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Bonus posted:

Not to mention that if you wanted to draft a small set with your friends, you had to get your hands on 6-8 boosters of the large set. You couldn't just buy a box and draft it like you could with a large set.

That isn't relevant for 99% of players who have no friends