Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

what if a fabled japanese master smith used his centuries-honed skills to make a european-style bastard sword?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Leperflesh posted:

what if a fabled japanese master smith used his centuries-honed skills to make a european-style bastard sword?

he should use his centuries-honed skills to make a gun instead imo

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Yeah, speaking as someone who actually trains in a Japanese martial art and who has actually cut stuff with a katana, the hype about them is way ridiculous. And cutting stuff actually takes, you know, skill. It's incredibly easy to gently caress up a sword if your technique is bad - as I found much to my chagrin when I let one of the newbs try a cut with my sword - not only did he fail to cut all the way through the target, he also put about a 10-degree bend in the last six inches of the blade. Fucker. But it didn't snap or shatter, so that's cool I guess.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bronze swords are cool. They gleam like the sun and just look so pretty :)

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
My cutting words will leave psychological scars that last a lifetime.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

he should use his centuries-honed skills to make a gun instead imo
This is what the Japanese did in history, checks out.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

they should have just imported good quality iron instead imo

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Ein Sexmonster posted:

This is what the Japanese did in history, checks out.
You have to watch out for the samurai that can cut bullets out of the air though; that's why its best to make guns that fire tiny katanas, because even a samurai can't cut another katana out of the air.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Ashcans posted:

You have to watch out for the samurai that can cut bullets out of the air though; that's why its best to make guns that fire tiny katanas, because even a samurai can't cut another katana out of the air.

That was the whole point of the Meiji Restoration and its famous ban on guns, really. The technology to create katana-firing guns didn't exist yet and people would get mad as hell when samurai would gut their bullets out of the air and murder them

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
samurais didnt exist ya'll

they made em up!!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Uh if they made them up then who cut all those bullets in half, smart guy?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Moola posted:

samurais didnt exist ya'll

they made em up!!

Fake History. SAD!

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Isn't the whole swords verses armor thing dumb anyway? Its not like people were cutting through plate mail with bastard swords anyway...

Against armor they just tried to poke each other in the joints or concuss the other person anyway.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

It's a meme that only shows up when people start talking about Hanzo steel. I'm pretty sure the longsword hype got rolled into the variety of -isms with the Deus Vult! meme.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Ashcans posted:

Uh if they made them up then who cut all those bullets in half, smart guy?

they shoot the bullets separately in two parts!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The point of rifling wasn't to spin the bullet so it had a straighter path. It was to spin two half-bullets, essentially making them both screwballs, so the samurai could only have time to cut one of them in half.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

The point of rifling wasn't to spin the bullet so it had a straighter path. It was to spin two half-bullets, essentially making them both screwballs, so the samurai could only have time to cut one of them in half.

fortunately anime solved this problem

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

What's everybody's favorite anime?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

When I was a kid I drew a triple-barreled blaster that would fire three shots at the same time; I figured that a jedi could always parry one, and a really good jedi would be able to catch two blasts at the same time, but there was no way you could parry three blasts that weren't in a straight line with a lightsaber, so you would reliably shoot him.

I assume that somewhere out there a child is frantically working to determine how to shoot Kylo Ren.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Hixson posted:

the one with the children with huge tits

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Moola posted:

the one with the children with huge tits

Right but what's your favorite anime

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Hixson posted:

Berserk, duh.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Obviously I don't have a favorite anime, that honor is reserved for whenever GW produces one.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

There's too many good ones to choose from

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Chill la Chill posted:

counterpoint: they're all bad

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Moola posted:

fortunately anime solved this problem

They constructed a katana with more blades on it, but they won't stop there. They'll keep making larger katanas with more blades until they create one so large and with so many blades it destroys them all.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

Toss a coin.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Legend of Galactic Heroes

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

NTRabbit posted:

Legend of Galactic Heroes

It's this. It'd even work as a wargame!

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Soulfucker posted:

It's this. It'd even work as a wargame!

It had one.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

:eyepop:

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

A burst of posts? Of course it's the anime...

Chill la Chill posted:

Just wondering why GW just didn't strap these rules into a warhammer or 40k ruleset and call it a day. Though I guess at some point they run out of different types of artillery and, as sci-fi games have this problem, they "need" dozens of types of weapons.

As much as I like infinity, :lol: that it has 5 types of airborne deployment.

Well, for WFB you could easily work from a baseline of a standard ancients wargame and add some manner of monster/hero/magic elements (at least one game of that sort specifically had those three as rock-paper-scissors, superimposed over the regular troop type interactions).

The DBx standard of defining troops by qualitative battlefield function is very open ended and pretty easily hacked. The only issue is you lose out on the purely quantitative differences some fantasy fans will insist on...

Ancients can get away with treating all units as a continuum, as nothing ascends very far from the human baseline. A tactical wargame for modern, mechanized warfare however pretty much has to write completely separate rules for infantry and armour, as they simply operate on incommensurable levels. The trouble is that 40K actually presents a straight continuum with infantry in battle tank armour.

Basically, based on the predominant design paradigms for the respective eras, it is far easier to hack dragons in DBx, than it is to hack Space Marines into Bolt Action.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

This puts a 40K style game in a very unenviable position, as it can take nothing for granted in terms of interactions. An infantryman might be more heavily armoured than a vehicle. His standard rifle-equivalent might be able to blow up a tank. This means the rules have to operate very much like fake rules of physics: the comparison to 3E DnD is obvious (and saddening).

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

There is also the core of nerddom to consider: the need to obsess over things, and the need of things to obsess over: one of the core draws of anime is nothing more than its sheer, abysmal quantity.

In the same way, the sheer amount of meaningless statistical trivia available for modern military hardware means that nerds will be attracted to it; catalogue it; and when designing a game they will judge this trivia as being of supreme importance, while such confused issues as troop morale, discipline, willingness to fight, combat training, operational training... gets reduced to maybe a single number.

This is a burden ancients can happily do without having to address (katana-fold-counters notwithstanding).

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Wow, the new BFG figures look different than I expected.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

So: nerds believe the more fulsome, available and easily quantified information is, the more important and worthy of representation it is; modern war offers far more easily quantified information than pre-modern war. This applies also to science fiction and fantasy wargames, to the degree they are derived from their real-world predecessors. This is one underlying reason for why old WFB could get away with generic "swords" and "shields".

One of the core design tenets of 40K is the blurring of the distinction between infantry and armour. No one writing a tactical WW2 tactical game would give much thought to the impact of rifle fire on tanks (unless some poor fool wanted to play with tankettes), but in 40K units of vastly disparate power levels have to be able to interact by a common set of rules.

How could anyone hope to build a quick and fluid system that could still fulfil these demands for fake military detail and universal interoperability?

40K is not a very good system, but it is worth noting that it may not be as much a failure of mere design as a failure of a fundamentally impossible ambition.

PoontifexMacksimus fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jun 12, 2017

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
FLCL is the best anime but Gurren Lagann and Bebop are close

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
40k is fun to play and it's easy to find games.

• Locked thread