Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Franchescanado posted:

I think dwarf stabbing the lady also counts for one of the most violent things Lynch has put on film, the shots are close and the sound design is brutal. The kid dying was tragic.

Yeah, I just got there, jesus christ :stare:

Pretty brutal episode. Maybe I'm getting softer with age, but I welcome more Dougie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Does anyone else get shades of Albert's speech from Janey's scene in the park?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf0ZvY2usbY

It has that fiery "you might think I'm an rear end in a top hat but I'm busting my rear end off trying to live according to my virtues" quality that instantly humanizes them. Albert plays bad cop to Cooper most of the time, and Janey actually has kind of a similar role as Dougie's exasperated partner who has trouble getting on her son's good side.

What surprises me is up until that point, I assumed Janey was some sort of manufactured, less-than-human being who was just there to facilitate the weird role Dougie plays in trapping Cooper. But the scene in the park makes her definitely seem like as full a person as anyone.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
The hit and run was terrible, but the kid having tyre tracks all the way up his back was also kinda funny.

Ike "the spike" rules

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The amount of time the hit and run lasted, especially at the end cutting to awful extras doing extended over the top reactions like we were suddenly dropped into Birdemic actually got me laughing.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yeah, I just got there, jesus christ :stare:

Pretty brutal episode. Maybe I'm getting softer with age, but I welcome more Dougie.

There's been some extremely intense violence towards women in the revival. Not an outright criticism, it's just noticeable.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Just realized DougCoop is acting in a pretty similar way as the hotel waiter did in S2E1 after Coop had been shot. Huge problems communicating, mimicks other people's gestures, generally very confused.

Perhaps the waiter had recently returned from a stay in the Lodge as well.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Man, so many amazing scenes. I of course loved the poo poo out of Naomi Watts telling off the bookies - that's the sort of rant that I could also actually make if pushed hard enough, I think, but I'm sorta crazy :shrug:

There were so many little details and moments I loved, though. Cooper offering Sonny Jim a chip, even though it was (properly) rejected. What was amusing was how the adult/child role was sort of reversed, there.

I thought Cooper's scene in the office with his boss was great. I sort of agree with the AV Club reviewer, who saw Cooper's blunt "Make sense of it" statement to be almost like Lynch throwing out a challenge to us, personally, the viewers. Lynch is like Cooper, and this 18-hour-long (or whatever) film is what we're closely looking at and attempting to decipher.

And it's notable that when the boss finally "gets it", he doesn't articulate just what Dougie has communicated via his "childish scrawls". I mean, we assume it to be insurance fraud and what he drawing connections somehow with the "ladders" and "stairs" and the lines and "asterisks".

Also, it all truly makes me wonder what Dougie was like before all of this. Janey-E seemed to tell the police that Dougie was "very disoriented" on his best days, but I don't know if she was just covering for him or if the Manufactured Dougie was essentially very lackadaisical and, uh, air-headed more or less. He seemed normal in the very few scenes we saw - I mean, he wasn't a verbal parrot like Cooper who has spoken like a line and a half that wasn't an echo of what someone else said, or part of what they said.

I have to say though, part of me still finds it very sad and difficult to watch the Dougie scenes, and they comprised almost all of this episode. But it was VERY good, nevertheless. Really impressed me in the end, and it felt like it was over as son

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Zat posted:

Just realized DougCoop is acting in a pretty similar way as the hotel waiter did in S2E1 after Coop had been shot. Huge problems communicating, mimicks other people's gestures, generally very confused.

Perhaps the waiter had recently returned from a stay in the Lodge as well.

That was the giant's dopple

The giant's new dopple is Sonny Jim I think because his old dopple gave the thumbs up to the wrong person and got murdered

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

If you recall the boss man asked dougie to keep his findings quiet. So his symbolic scribbles which the boss was able to decipher is a perfect way to keep the information they both know confidential, hence why the boss may have seemed so pleased.

Also, Dougie is progressing just fine. He went from completely newborn to busting insurance fraud, all inspired by his time spent with the cowboy sheriff statue.

Cephas posted:

Does anyone else get shades of Albert's speech from Janey's scene in the park?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf0ZvY2usbY

It has that fiery "you might think I'm an rear end in a top hat but I'm busting my rear end off trying to live according to my virtues" quality that instantly humanizes them. Albert plays bad cop to Cooper most of the time, and Janey actually has kind of a similar role as Dougie's exasperated partner who has trouble getting on her son's good side.
That scene with albert remains as one of the best scenes ever aired on television.

G-III fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 12, 2017

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

It'll be funny when we find out Dougie has been in on it the whole time and is now incriminating himself.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?

Transistor Rhythm posted:

By "some OST guy" you mean Johnny Jewel, who's just a little bit famous.

Didn't mean to be dismissive. I've been doodling on guitar for a while around that little piece on repeat.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

weekly font posted:

The amount of time the hit and run lasted, especially at the end cutting to awful extras doing extended over the top reactions like we were suddenly dropped into Birdemic actually got me laughing.

Really couldn't disagree more. The way this shot happens in any other show is the kid gets hit, we get a close up on the mom wailing for 3 seconds, and then cut to another scene. But that's not how it happens in real life. IRL, the scene continues and people do stand around and no one knows what to do and it's the most surreal poo poo ever. Having been involved in a couple similar incidents, I feel like this was the best recreation I've seen of how it actually feels to be in that scenario. It *doesn't* end. It just keeps going, and your mind struggles trying to come to grips with how something so horrible could be real and how it has the audacity to relentlessly continue being real.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

the extras were definitely really bad though. kinda took ma out of it a bit until harry dean stanton saved it with his face

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I don't know, I felt like I was kind of doing the same thing the rest of them were doing.

Christ, I hope I never have to experience anything like that in real life, even remotely.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

regulargonzalez posted:

Really couldn't disagree more. The way this shot happens in any other show is the kid gets hit, we get a close up on the mom wailing for 3 seconds, and then cut to another scene. But that's not how it happens in real life. IRL, the scene continues and people do stand around and no one knows what to do and it's the most surreal poo poo ever. Having been involved in a couple similar incidents, I feel like this was the best recreation I've seen of how it actually feels to be in that scenario. It *doesn't* end. It just keeps going, and your mind struggles trying to come to grips with how something so horrible could be real and how it has the audacity to relentlessly continue being real.
Agree, but man those extras were bad.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I thought it was a pretty good touch that the guy in the front of the line just sat there in his car while everyone else got out. He's the one who waved the kid out. I had a dog yank the leash from someone's hands and run into my car recently, and while I had no intention of leaving, I sat in my car for probably 20-25 seconds just thinking "fuuuuuuuck."

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Is there a place online that is keeping this plot straight, I'm losing the multiple threads in my brain. I need a chart.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I mean, yeah, they were bad, but it was clearly deliberate. He's not going for naturalism (or whatever passes for naturalism on television). He's making a purposeful choice.

(See also: the wife from the previous episode.)

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
There's a dude at my office that has a pretty good web of plots but this is the only pic I have

I'll see if I can get a better pic later

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Lynch is in a pretty rare place where even if he gets a legitimately dogshit performance out of his actors, people will assume it was deliberate.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I think that Sheriff Truman's wife is good, don't understand the hate. I've known many women that sound and act like her.

Her delivery sounds like a woman just grasping at anything to bitch about, as if she's just coming up with problems while she has an audience. It completely works for me.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Franchescanado posted:

I think that Sheriff Truman's wife is good, don't understand the hate. I've known many women that sound and act like her.

Her delivery sounds like a woman just grasping at anything to bitch about, as if she's just coming up with problems while she has an audience. It completely works for me.

Yeah, that's the impression I got as well, it's a really fun character trait that works nicely.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Franchescanado posted:

I almost married a woman like that!

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
is there even one happy wife in twin peaks?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Lucy whenever she remembers she's married

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Cephas posted:

Mrs. Briggs was frustrated with Bobby but otherwise content in season 1/2. Lucy's happy, even if she's afraid of cell phones.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Also Donna's mom

You know, besides the legs

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

Franchescanado posted:

she's a cartoon character of a nagging wife.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cephas posted:

While not a wife, I was and still am impressed with how strong and optimistic and caring Norma is. I always wanted it to work out between her and Ed. :(

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Thom and the Heads posted:

She comes across as someone with a cluster b personality disorder not a cartoon character

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Someone's never worked retail.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
If you've ever interacted with or been in a relationship with someone with BPD or NPD or whatever that's a real rear end character.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

There is a Vin Deisel dwarf that is stabbing people with an ice pick set to hip hop music while a drug lord finger-guns a magic dime into a whiny brat's mouth. You're going to call an overly nagging woman the cartoonish situation?

Also, the fact that she's nagging from a a delusion, in an attempt to have any type of control in her life, due to losing her son to suicide works for me. Of course it's over the top, she's suffering from mental issues.

Just another way Lynch has introduced a funny aspect of the world then quietly paints it in tragedy.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Just noticed that the intersection where the kid gets hit is the same intersection where Laura and Leland are getting screamed at by the one armed man in FWWM.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

moist turtleneck posted:

That was the giant's dopple

The giant's new dopple is Sonny Jim I think because his old dopple gave the thumbs up to the wrong person and got murdered

The dopplegangers and the possessed people are not the same. The waiter was possessed/influenced by the Giant like Leland was possessed/influenced by BOB.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

SHE WASN'T ALWAYS LIKE THAT, CHAD. HER SON KILLED HIMSELF, CHAD.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
chad needs to die
i liked hip hop music woman, neat having such a powerful audio queue

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
chad also totally has an SA account

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
"Read between the lines! What's lurking in that toaster waffle, those muffins, that frozen children's treat? POISON!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hh7tUfUrHQ&t=117s

High fructose corn syrup

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

i hope hip hop woman's theme continues to play anytime she's on screen, even if it's just as a corpse at the coroner's