Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

iceaim posted:

drat Super Lucky's Tale ditching VR really feels like a kick in the gut. They're not going to even bother adding it as an optional feature.

Well, it wasn't very good so why is it a kick in the gut?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

FormatAmerica posted:

They have a HUGE opportunity to fix the loving storyline. I in no way expect but seriously hope they re-touch it for some better endings.
Lol. It's a bethesda game, do people expect something different??

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Please don't rebuy fullprice games for fullprice in VR. It's a lovely practice by Bethesda when that support should have been incorporated natively into the PC version.

Just saw this at E3, Echo Arena looks to be free for Rifters: https://www.loneecho.com/

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Taintrunner posted:

Please don't rebuy fullprice games for fullprice in VR. It's a lovely practice by Bethesda when that support should have been incorporated natively into the PC version.

Just saw this at E3, Echo Arena looks to be free for Rifters: https://www.loneecho.com/

I'm assuming that so much had to be changed to make the game not run like poo poo so it works in VR that it is no longer compatible with the original Fallout 4. I'm fully expecting no mods and no fixes to anything besides performance. if they were going to make the game not suck, they would patch that into the original game, which they apparently haven't.

iceaim posted:

drat Super Lucky's Tale ditching VR really feels like a kick in the gut. They're not going to even bother adding it as an optional feature.

Microsoft hasn't mentioned anything about VR yet. They might bring up VR at a later time and then say "Super Lucky's Tale works both on your TV and in VR."

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Cojawfee posted:

I'm assuming that so much had to be changed to make the game not run like poo poo so it works in VR that it is no longer compatible with the original Fallout 4. I'm fully expecting no mods and no fixes to anything besides performance. if they were going to make the game not suck, they would patch that into the original game, which they apparently haven't.

Microsoft hasn't mentioned anything about VR yet. They might bring up VR at a later time and then say "Super Lucky's Tale works both on your TV and in VR."

The "work" they have put in justifies them charging full-price, it doesn't have to have anything to do with engine limitations. They can put the work in that ads on VR support to a game they have already made but spin it around and charge it full price because the market will support that. If they just glommed on VR support to Fallout 4 then it would have to compete with that, be attached to that and everything that comes with it. A new game means a new, blank store front, news feed, marketing angle and news coverage separate from everything Fallout 4 already has.
The trick is though they did just glom on VR support to Fallout 4 but are going to way that makes them the most money.

The differences between them doing the Skyrim Special Edition thing and Fallout 4 VR are pretty wide with what we know. Skyrim Special Edition is different from Oldrim in that SSE is on the Fallout 4 engine, a x64 executable and all the changes that come with that which is the reason mods don't just 'work' without a minimum of conversion. The only issue I can see with mods on Fallout 4 VR is performance destruction because modders have no checks when it comes to framerates. 4k textures for spoons are the norm you see.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jun 12, 2017

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Microsoft have Windows Holographic and if the Xbonex supports any kind of VR API it'd be that. Once those headsets get released I assume we'll hear more about console support for them.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

KakerMix posted:

The "work" they have put in justifies them charging full-price, it doesn't have to have anything to do with engine limitations. They can put the work in that ads on VR support to a game they have already made but spin it around and charge it full price because the market will support that. If they just glommed on VR support to Fallout 4 then it would have to compete with that, be attached to that and everything that comes with it. A new game means a new, blank store front, news feed, marketing angle and news coverage separate from everything Fallout 4 already has.
The trick is though they did just glom on VR support to Fallout 4 but are going to way that makes them the most money.

The differences between them doing the Skyrim Special Edition thing and Fallout 4 VR are pretty wide with what we know. Skyrim Special Edition is different from Oldrim in that SSE is on the Fallout 4 engine, a x64 executable and all the changes that come with that which is the reason mods don't just 'work' without a minimum of conversion. The only issue I can see with mods on Fallout 4 VR is performance destruction because modders have no checks when it comes to framerates. 4k textures for spoons are the norm you see.

I don't own Fallout 4, nor did I bother finishing Fallout 3.

But I'll pay whatever price they care to charge for Fallout 4 VR, assuming it basically works. It sounds awesome, and I hope more companies make VR stuff, even if they have to charge lots and/or end up double charging. I'm already in this for a lot of money; at this point, more content is worth big money

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

A bit part of the reason why I got a VR headset was the promise of open-ended RPG gameplay like in Bethesda RPGs being a perfect fit for the medium. Fallout 4 isn't the best example of the genre and has problems, but damnit it's good enough.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

jmzero posted:

I don't own Fallout 4, nor did I bother finishing Fallout 3.

But I'll pay whatever price they care to charge for Fallout 4 VR, assuming it basically works. It sounds awesome, and I hope more companies make VR stuff, even if they have to charge lots and/or end up double charging. I'm already in this for a lot of money; at this point, more content is worth big money

Yeah same.

The idea that people stopped playing Fallout 4 to not spoil it for Fallout 4 VR is pretty hilarious though. News flash guys: Fallout 4's story is poo poo garbage, characters are garbage poo poo and the whole narrative is piss fire. The fun in it is all the incidental stuff and world exploration.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

KakerMix posted:

Yeah same.

The idea that people stopped playing Fallout 4 to not spoil it for Fallout 4 VR is pretty hilarious though. News flash guys: Fallout 4's story is poo poo garbage, characters are garbage poo poo and the whole narrative is piss fire. The fun in it is all the incidental stuff and world exploration.

I stopped playing it because I would rather just play New Vegas again.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Why do people keep saying the Fallout story is bad? You can shoot your kid in the head, how many games let you murder your own children

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Lemming posted:

Why do people keep saying the Fallout story is bad? You can shoot your kid in the head, how many games let you murder your own children

The Sims

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Lemming posted:

You are intentionally leaving out information that is vital to would-be child killers the world over mister

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Robo Recall mixed with Sairento with DOOM sounds weapons and enemies sounds like perfection.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Nalin posted:

It's going to require a GTX 1080 Ti for min-spec.

I don't know anything about gaming hardware these days, did they say this anywhere or is this just very obviously what will happen?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I just want the game to let me play with the framerate unlocked without everything breaking and to let me use a mouse+keyboard AND a controller without having to do some .ini bullshit to get one or the other to work. That PC port is an embarrassment; I honestly don't have high hopes for the VR stuff.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

mellowjournalism posted:

I don't know anything about gaming hardware these days, did they say this anywhere or is this just very obviously what will happen?

Todd Howard is my friend and he said "yes I said it" just now, to me

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

mellowjournalism posted:

It was a joke, but also kinda not. All of the Bethesda Creation Engine games (Fallout 3/4, Skyrim, etc) are janky, buggy, and slow as poo poo. I just can't believe they can get it running at a consistent 90 Hz. Especially because all the physics and puzzles and stuff break at > 60 FPS!

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
And it will be SteamVR only so you don't even get ASW to hold your hand. I can't wait to see the reviews on it.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Nalin posted:

And it will be SteamVR only so you don't even get ASW to hold your hand. I can't wait to see the reviews on it.

ASW works on SteamVR when using a Rift

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Anyone taking bets on whether Bethesda actually does an HMD check to lock out the Oculus?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

If they do people will patch it out within an hour of it coming out, if Google Earth was any indication

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there
I know that Zenimax, the parent company of Bethesda, had sued Oculus for like $500 million at some point. I wonder if we'll see official support.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

InevitableCheese posted:

I know that Zenimax, the parent company of Bethesda, had sued Oculus for like $500 million at some point. I wonder if we'll see official support.
There will not be official Oculus support for Fallout 4 what would make you think otherwise

I mean look how passive-aggressive they were when they first announced Fallout 4 VR and how slatheringly they smear 'Vive' all over everything.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
So if they are doing a vr version of fallout 4 would that mean they are going back and untieing the phsyics engine from the fps? Because thats why it was capped at 60fps and made for hilarious poo poo when doing a lock pick at 300fps and things moving faster then the eye could see

So if they have to go back and fix up some of that poo poo i could totally get behind having to pay 60 for a new version that also had native unlocked fps and widescreen support for normal monitor use too

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Lone Echo and mages tale both coming out within 2 weeks? Doom & fallout on the way? VR's dark days are over!

Lone echo multi looks like the poo poo I'm gonna play way too much.

Fooz fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jun 12, 2017

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Fooz posted:

Lone echo multi looks like the poo poo I'm gonna play way too much.

The presentation made it look to me like the single player and the multiplayer were different games with different names and different release dates? I might have misunderstood that, though, it wasn't that clear.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Ok it was super confusing but looks like Lone echo comes out on July 20, but the free beta of the multiplayer starts June 23?

https://www.oculus.com/blog/defy-gravity-with-lone-echo-and-echo-arena-pre-orders-now-open/

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Scarecow posted:

So if they are doing a vr version of fallout 4 would that mean they are going back and untieing the phsyics engine from the fps? Because thats why it was capped at 60fps and made for hilarious poo poo when doing a lock pick at 300fps and things moving faster then the eye could see

So if they have to go back and fix up some of that poo poo i could totally get behind having to pay 60 for a new version that also had native unlocked fps and widescreen support for normal monitor use too

No, they are tieing it to 90 fps now. So when the game inevitably runs at 45 fps everything will move in slow motion all the time.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Fooz posted:

Ok it was super confusing but looks like Lone echo comes out on July 20, but the free beta of the multiplayer starts June 23?

https://www.oculus.com/blog/defy-gravity-with-lone-echo-and-echo-arena-pre-orders-now-open/

It sounds like they are two separate games. Both come out on July 20, but the multiplayer game has a free beta period a month prior.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Fooz posted:

Yeah can't wait I'm gonna be the best at it

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lemming posted:

Yeah can't wait I'm gonna be the best at it

Nuh uh Ender Wiggum

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
I'm real curious how VATS is gonna work in VR.....

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Re: FO4VR, the E3 presentation briefly showed some huge walking robot which wasn't in the base game unless it was in the main story which I still didn't play. I imagine they will add a DLC-sized new story to help justify the purchase, but never underestimate Bethesda's laziness and newfound love of rehashing. I am unfortunately a slave to this and will buy it on release, probably with a sub-$50 price from greenmangaming.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Sintax posted:

Re: FO4VR, the E3 presentation briefly showed some huge walking robot which wasn't in the base game unless it was in the main story which I still didn't play. I imagine they will add a DLC-sized new story to help justify the purchase, but never underestimate Bethesda's laziness and newfound love of rehashing. I am unfortunately a slave to this and will buy it on release, probably with a sub-$50 price from greenmangaming.

Yeah that's Liberty Prime which you might not see depending on which playthrough you do.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
These motherfuckers gonna make us pay for the same mediocre game twice

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Sintax posted:

These motherfuckers gonna make us pay for the same mediocre game twice

Yeh I'll probably still buy it tho

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
"What else are you gonna do? Play more TiltBrush!? AHAHAHAHAHA!" - Bethesda

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I'm gonna be the king of lone echo actaully

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Maybe we don't get Fallout but I'll take Skyrim VR :toot: Game is played out as gently caress but I will play the gently caress out of it in VR.