Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

There's actually a school of thought that the crappier your eyes, the more a higher refresh rate can help you (after a period of adjustment). There's also blue light filtration built into a lot of newer monitors, as well as coatings for glasses and supplemental 'gaming glasses' if you wear contacts.

Huh, I would have thought the opposite. What's the issue with blue light? Within the next couple years I'll probably pick up a second monitor and relegate my current one to second monitor status, I'll keep an eye out for that.

Interesting, the glasses have yellow lenses. A lot of shooting glasses have those as well, it makes things easier to see because science I don't remember or understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Yellow lenses make shadows less of an issue. I used to use yellow lenses playing paintball and it helps a lot in the woods where everything is 1 big shadow.

No idea why you'd use them playing vidja gaems.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
So I recently bought an ASUS MG279Q 1440p 144Hz w/ FreeSync. I absolutely love this monitor. Picture looks great, no dead pixels or anything of that sort, minor backlight bleeding in the top left corner which I truly do not give a poo poo about/doesn't bother me/barely noticeable.

This is, however, my first ever FreeSync monitor and I have no clue how to set this thing up. The adaptive range is apparently 35Hz to 90Hz which I've heard is either "good" to "wow that's low". Right now out of the box FreeSync is disabled and I've just been playing stuff with v-sync off anyway. I truly have not noticed any tearing whatsoever and 144Hz is absolutely amazing. Hell, even Windows is way smoother! I'm running a MSI RX 480 Gaming 8GB card and I figured I might as well try out FreeSync even though it really was not something I cared for when buying this monitor.

Do I turn off v-sync when FreeSync is enabled? Leave it on? Should I use FRTC to cap my framerate to 90 max to stay within the adaptive range?

Or, hell, should I just keep it off and enjoy 144Hz glory?

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Captain Hair posted:

So I just bought a cheap 2nd hand xb27ha monitor, 144hz gsync.

However it's got 2 stuck pixels the owner didn't mention :( though one *feels* like it's a spec on the screen. Gonna have to clean it up and see.

Anyone got any experience trying to fix dead pixels? Is it just a case of running one of those flickering noise programs and hoping for the best?

I'm really dissapointed as I'm pretty sure the guy selling it knew, given the price. Bleh.

On a good note, drat is 144 fps smooth.

Sorry to hear, but don't get your hopes up. For "stuck" pixels, you can sometimes run those programs or physically massage it back to life. But most of the time, a dead pixel is a dead pixel and you can't do anything other than a replacement.

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

Wirth1000 posted:

So I recently bought an ASUS MG279Q 1440p 144Hz w/ FreeSync. I absolutely love this monitor. Picture looks great, no dead pixels or anything of that sort, minor backlight bleeding in the top left corner which I truly do not give a poo poo about/doesn't bother me/barely noticeable.

This is, however, my first ever FreeSync monitor and I have no clue how to set this thing up. The adaptive range is apparently 35Hz to 90Hz which I've heard is either "good" to "wow that's low". Right now out of the box FreeSync is disabled and I've just been playing stuff with v-sync off anyway. I truly have not noticed any tearing whatsoever and 144Hz is absolutely amazing. Hell, even Windows is way smoother! I'm running a MSI RX 480 Gaming 8GB card and I figured I might as well try out FreeSync even though it really was not something I cared for when buying this monitor.

Do I turn off v-sync when FreeSync is enabled? Leave it on? Should I use FRTC to cap my framerate to 90 max to stay within the adaptive range?

Or, hell, should I just keep it off and enjoy 144Hz glory?

Normally when freesync is on the MG279Q limits itself to 90Hz. Outside the range you'll get frame tearing without Vsync, inside the range it literally doesn't matter.

But! You can extend the freesync range to 57-144Hz with Custom Resolution Utility (there might be directions for this in my post history? If not it's easy to google), which is enough to enable Low Frequency Compensation, which basically means the effective range is 1-144Hz. Once you get it set up, you just enable freesync on both the monitor and in Radeon settings, ensure the monitor is set to 144Hz, and forget about it--no tearing forevermore.

After that, if you want you can cap the framerate at 143Hz to ensure you're always in range, or you can use vsync (it introduces some input delay but it's so tiny at >144Hz it basically doesn't matter) to prevent tearing. More likely, you won't have to worry about it--pushing >144Hz@1440p is pretty serious!

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

betamax hipster posted:

Normally when freesync is on the MG279Q limits itself to 90Hz. Outside the range you'll get frame tearing without Vsync, inside the range it literally doesn't matter.

But! You can extend the freesync range to 57-144Hz with Custom Resolution Utility (there might be directions for this in my post history? If not it's easy to google), which is enough to enable Low Frequency Compensation, which basically means the effective range is 1-144Hz. Once you get it set up, you just enable freesync on both the monitor and in Radeon settings, ensure the monitor is set to 144Hz, and forget about it--no tearing forevermore.

After that, if you want you can cap the framerate at 143Hz to ensure you're always in range, or you can use vsync (it introduces some input delay but it's so tiny at >144Hz it basically doesn't matter) to prevent tearing. More likely, you won't have to worry about it--pushing >144Hz@1440p is pretty serious!

Alright, I looked this up and seems very simple. But what's the catch? What's the downside here? Like there has to have been a factory reason for them to restrict this monitor to 30Hz to 90Hz to begin with. So if I use CRU and bump it right up to 144Hz what am I going to encounter?

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

Wirth1000 posted:

Alright, I looked this up and seems very simple. But what's the catch? What's the downside here? Like there has to have been a factory reason for them to restrict this monitor to 30Hz to 90Hz to begin with. So if I use CRU and bump it right up to 144Hz what am I going to encounter?

With mine? Like once a month the monitor doesn't turn on properly, and I have to spend 5 seconds to turn it off and on again.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Wirth1000 posted:

You're technically overclocking the monitor control board, which might cause flickering.

The reason it's 30-90 Hz in particular is because AMD basically hacks this into monitors after the fact, the hardware isn't really designed to do FreeSync in the first place.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Hypothetically, can any monitor work in portrait-mode as long it's not attached to it's stand? I'm looking at affordable monitors but I've always wanted a 2nd monitor dedicated to coding/references/reading text along with the main one. Also, I don't want to buy monitor arms...

Pictured like this but with actual realistic price range on the system and monitors.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Alder posted:

Hypothetically, can any monitor work in portrait-mode as long it's not attached to it's stand? I'm looking at affordable monitors but I've always wanted a 2nd monitor dedicated to coding/references/reading text along with the main one. Also, I don't want to buy monitor arms...

Yeah, monitors just take pixels from the graphics card, the orientation of the monitor is controlled in your operating system. There are pretty cheap single monitor stands that can give you enough clearance to put your monitor in portrait if the stock stand doesn't allow for rotation.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Desuwa posted:

Yeah, monitors just take pixels from the graphics card, the orientation of the monitor is controlled in your operating system. There are pretty cheap single monitor stands that can give you enough clearance to put your monitor in portrait if the stock stand doesn't allow for rotation.

Thanks, this will be useful when I see some clearance monitors. I just run 1080/60 and the 2nd one doesn't need to be too fancy just to display 80% text and guides.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Yes, any monitor can be used in portrait mode. The one pitfall is with TN panels, where the viewing angle from below is atrocious so you want to make sure you look at it from straight ahead or from top angle. I had to deal with this at work, where our old 24" HP monitors only pivot 90° in one direction and because I wanted to set the monitor on the right side I would have been looking at it from bottom angle when moving my head. I solved this by taking the monitor panel off from the stand and turning it upside down, so it now pivots in the correct direction.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.

Constellation I posted:

Sorry to hear, but don't get your hopes up. For "stuck" pixels, you can sometimes run those programs or physically massage it back to life. But most of the time, a dead pixel is a dead pixel and you can't do anything other than a replacement.

Thanks, and yeah you turned out to be about right :(

On white I can count 4 black looking pixels that will not go away. On green I could see about 10 :stonk: managed to massage them away so it's just the 4.

Unfortunately one of them is right in view at the middle and soneone previous to me has clearly poked at it with something sharp and left a pin prick. There's also a small 1cm brown mark in the dead center of the screen as if it's been burnt or heated?

I wouldn't be surprised if the guy didn't notice, I've never seen a monitor so filthy!

Edit: yeah I've arranged to return it. Accidentally bought another one and had to cancel because it doesn't have gsync. Apparently there are 3 different sub models of xb270h

Captain Hair fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jun 11, 2017

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I'm looking for two 2160p monitors with thin bezels that can rotate to portrait and sit next to a 34" monitor without looking too tall for it. Because it's strictly for office work I don't need FreeSync or higher refresh rates and because it'll be in portrait I figure I don't have an option besides IPS (viewing angle is non-negotiable). It appears that a 27" monitor would be way too tall rotated so now I'm one of the weirdos looking for a 2160p 24" monitor. Looks like I've really only got these as realistic options:

• Dell P2415Q - I've had good experience with Dell monitors so far in the ultrasharp line
  • Some LG 24" IPS but because I absolutely hate the LG OSD and control scheme that's out for me
  • Asus MG24UQ - Seems like I'm paying more for FreeSync and gaming features

Are there any other options I should consider before plopping down $800 so I can read and write even more documentation?

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

necrobobsledder posted:

I'm looking for two 2160p monitors with thin bezels that can rotate to portrait and sit next to a 34" monitor without looking too tall for it. Because it's strictly for office work I don't need FreeSync or higher refresh rates and because it'll be in portrait I figure I don't have an option besides IPS (viewing angle is non-negotiable). It appears that a 27" monitor would be way too tall rotated so now I'm one of the weirdos looking for a 2160p 24" monitor. Looks like I've really only got these as realistic options:

• Dell P2415Q - I've had good experience with Dell monitors so far in the ultrasharp line
  • Some LG 24" IPS but because I absolutely hate the LG OSD and control scheme that's out for me
  • Asus MG24UQ - Seems like I'm paying more for FreeSync and gaming features

Are there any other options I should consider before plopping down $800 so I can read and write even more documentation?

I can confirm that a 27" would look weirdly tall. I'm rocking a U2414h (1080p, looks kind of gross) next to my X34 and its got like 2.5 inches of panel above and below the 34 when centered vertically next to it.

Having absolutely no experience with any of those 3 displays I'd still say go with the dell because dell monitors own.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

You might consider not worrying about the height. I've got a portrait monitor that is several inches taller than the monitor next to it, and it seems fine to me.

The "look" is that it's a separate display rather than a display that you're trying to pretend is one with the others.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
I ended up getting a XB271HU. Is there a .pdf manual someplace that explains what poo poo like Game Mode and OD settings are? This OSD is horrendous and the instruction leaflet it came with is worthlessly vague, with descriptions like "Turns OD mode off." WTF is OD mode? I don't really understand what ULMB is, but I know I can't turn it on, probably because another mode is super-ceding it, but I wouldn't know for sure 'cuz there's no manual!

Hooking this thing up also disrupted my whole setup because the only DP cable I have on hand that will run 144hz is the one that it came with and it is about 25ft shorter than the one I was using before. I need to source another long-rear end DP cable, but all the ones on Amazon I can find have negative reviews where people are saying "This piece of poo poo doesn't do 144hz like it said it would!"

Last thing, how are you guys hooking receivers and surround systems up to your PCs? I really don't want to put receiver between my PC and monitor, but HDMI\DP is still the prefered way to get uncompressed surround out of your PC. My 980ti has one HDMI that is in use, but I could convert one of the spare DP ports to HDMI and run that to a receiver just for audio. I suppose I could also re-enable my mobo's onboard Realtek garbage and use the toslink on that, but I don't wanna.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
As a general rule, you want OD set to medium on almost any monitor that supports it. ULMB is Ultra Low Motion Blur and does exactly what it sounds like--it substantially reduces motion blur. The catch is you generally cannot use it at the same time as GSync, so you get to pick your poison there: ULMB is going to be better for you if you can keep a very high framerate all the time (CS:Go, for example), while GSync will generally be better if you're playing something that causes frames to dip.

I don't know how long a run you're trying to do, but the DP spec limits full bandwidth (which you want for 144Hz) to 3m runs on passive (cheap) cables. Active cables can in theory do up to 33m, but are more expensive (15m ones are $75+).

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Copper Vein posted:

I ended up getting a XB271HU. Is there a .pdf manual someplace that explains what poo poo like Game Mode and OD settings are? This OSD is horrendous and the instruction leaflet it came with is worthlessly vague, with descriptions like "Turns OD mode off." WTF is OD mode? I don't really understand what ULMB is, but I know I can't turn it on, probably because another mode is super-ceding it, but I wouldn't know for sure 'cuz there's no manual!

Hooking this thing up also disrupted my whole setup because the only DP cable I have on hand that will run 144hz is the one that it came with and it is about 25ft shorter than the one I was using before. I need to source another long-rear end DP cable, but all the ones on Amazon I can find have negative reviews where people are saying "This piece of poo poo doesn't do 144hz like it said it would!"

Last thing, how are you guys hooking receivers and surround systems up to your PCs? I really don't want to put receiver between my PC and monitor, but HDMI\DP is still the prefered way to get uncompressed surround out of your PC. My 980ti has one HDMI that is in use, but I could convert one of the spare DP ports to HDMI and run that to a receiver just for audio. I suppose I could also re-enable my mobo's onboard Realtek garbage and use the toslink on that, but I don't wanna.

ULMB is Ultra Low Motion Blur and does what it says, it's very good for competitive FPS games and such but you have to choose between it and Gsync because they are incompatible with each other. OD stands for OverDrive and can reduce ghosting, but generally you want it set to a moderate level. Game Mode should be ignored, it just increases gamma to stupid high levels. You can find the (mostly useless) manual here: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/6434;-;XB271HU

The longest DP cables that can do 1440p@144Hz are around 10 feet.

I use 2ch stereo off of my mobo's built in sound so I can't help you on the stuff with receivers.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Copper Vein posted:

Technically the maximum length DisplayPort supports is 3 meters, so it's not surprising you're losing some bandwidth with longer cables. Maybe a really good one will do better but don't hold your breath.

You may be able to find an "active cable" that includes repeaters to boost signal strength, or "active extenders" that plug into passive cables, but that may increase latency somewhat.

Here's your manual.

Note that you cannot enable ULMB at any refresh rate other than 120 Hz, and that enabling that will disable GSync.

OD is "Overdrive", that option controls how aggressively your monitor drives the pixels to change color. Generally the best option is Medium on almost all monitors, reducing it causes blur and increasing it causes ghosting.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Copper Vein posted:

I suppose I could also re-enable my mobo's onboard Realtek garbage and use the toslink on that, but I don't wanna.

You think somehow the sound chip on your motherboard will output worse 1s and 0s than your graphics card?

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

Thanks for the responses, guys. I did grab that pdf manual earlier, but due to its generic filename and intro pages I immediately dismissed it as a catch-all for all Acer's monitors and then complained about it on the internet. I will give that a throrough read.

..btt posted:

You think somehow the sound chip on your motherboard will output worse 1s and 0s than your graphics card?

Yes I do, as least as I understand digital audio formats. The toslink\spdif can only do compressed 5.1, whereas HDMI can do uncompressed. Now, maybe I am incorrect on this, or maybe it doesn't goddamn matter for the bleeps and bloops of the Doom wads I still regularly play, but that was my thinking.

I also just don't wanna futz with those drivers if I can get away with it

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
I get not wanting to deal with another driver package, but I guarantee you that you'll be unable to discern the difference between Doom's rage screams over compressed vs uncompressed PCM output to what I'm gonna assume are not some fancy-rear end $1000 monitor speakers in an acoustically mapped and controlled listening room.

There's a reason that the discrete sound card industry has all but died: mobo audio has actually become pretty decent, especially considering the equipment people hook it up to.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Are amazon and newegg decent sites for monitors? I'm looking for <22" and I hope it'll swivel to portrait mode but none of the spec lists are telling me anything useful :tinfoil:

I would go to a B&M but I feel like sale associates would stop me from manhandling the test displays...

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Can't say anything for Newegg (US only I believe) but Amazon is great and they have really cheap deals, cheaper than you'd typically find at a B&M. Only downside is you can't see it in person. I got my monitor from Amazon and I'm real happy with it, I just looked at the reviews and watched a bunch of videos on Youtube before buying it.

atal
Aug 13, 2006

burning down the house
Can I get a check on the following monitor before I spend my increasingly worthless $Brexit Bux?

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/27-dell-s2716dg-144hz-nvidia-g-sync-qhd-gaming-monitor-tn-2560x1440-1ms-1000-1-black-dp-12-hdmi-1-4x

edit: I thought the URL would show it - it's Dell S2716DG 27"

I've tried to scan the thread and can see some comments about it which seem positive.

I'm running a factory overclocked 1070 so I assume I'll be ok on the power. I'm fed up of people in discord praising GSYNC without me.

atal fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 12, 2017

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Alder posted:

Are amazon and newegg decent sites for monitors? I'm looking for <22" and I hope it'll swivel to portrait mode but none of the spec lists are telling me anything useful :tinfoil:

I would go to a B&M but I feel like sale associates would stop me from manhandling the test displays...

Amazon is great, particularly because they have incredibly generous return policies (free shipping, no restocking, etc) for many of them. NewEgg can have decent deals, but their return policies are nowhere near as generous, so if the prices are close I'd always go Amazon.

You might be surprised with your B&M, particularly if you present yourself as a seriously interested customer rather than someone just going around poking random buttons on monitors. Worst they can do is ask you to stop, and at least you'd get to see them in person.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

DrDork posted:

Amazon is great, particularly because they have incredibly generous return policies (free shipping, no restocking, etc) for many of them. NewEgg can have decent deals, but their return policies are nowhere near as generous, so if the prices are close I'd always go Amazon.

You might be surprised with your B&M, particularly if you present yourself as a seriously interested customer rather than someone just going around poking random buttons on monitors. Worst they can do is ask you to stop, and at least you'd get to see them in person.

The nearest B&M are BB, M.C., Target, and Staples I think there's some small techs stores but even Micro Center had much smaller offerings than I expected.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

atal posted:

Can I get a check on the following monitor before I spend my increasingly worthless $Brexit Bux?

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/27-dell-s2716dg-144hz-nvidia-g-sync-qhd-gaming-monitor-tn-2560x1440-1ms-1000-1-black-dp-12-hdmi-1-4x

edit: I thought the URL would show it - it's Dell S2716DG 27"

I've tried to scan the thread and can see some comments about it which seem positive.

I'm running a factory overclocked 1070 so I assume I'll be ok on the power. I'm fed up of people in discord praising GSYNC without me.

This one is a much better choice for the money since it's IPS, if the Dell was ~£150 cheaper it would be a good deal but for £20 the upgrade to IPS is well worth it.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Downside for buying monitors from eBay other than high S&H costs? I'm looking at 16:10 monitors and amazon doesn't have as much variety compared to ebay.

I mean within USA not importing tech from Asia. I've bought cheaper tech like tablets, mice, headphones, and Vita from eBay w/o any problems too.

Alder fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 12, 2017

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Mostly that you're taking a risk on the quality of the monitor that shows up; if you have issues with it, chances are much higher that you'll end up eating a return S&H cost, whereas you almost certainly won't on Amazon. It's a question of risk:reward.

atal
Aug 13, 2006

burning down the house

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

This one is a much better choice for the money since it's IPS, if the Dell was ~£150 cheaper it would be a good deal but for £20 the upgrade to IPS is well worth it.

Thanks. I ended up picking up the Acer one you linked instead because I was on the fence about paying much more for IPS.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
There simply aren't that many choices in 16:10 these days - you can buy a perfectly good 1920x1200 IPS Dell or HP office monitor but it isn't going to have gsync or high refresh rates or anything like that.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

DrDork posted:

Just a quick add on to this. I ordered a 1080ti 2 weeks ago from Newegg and it was defective. They made it a GIANT pain in the rear end to return it. Only reason I opted for Newegg this time around was that Amazon charges tax now in Colorado :(

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

veedubfreak posted:

I ordered a 1080ti 2 weeks ago from Newegg and it was defective. They made it a GIANT pain in the rear end to return it.

Really? I used to order a lot of stuff from Newegg and out of, say 5 parts, one part would be defective. Seriously. Mobos, GPUs, RAM, PSUs, everything.

But Newegg never gave me any hassle in issuing an RMA. That's unfortunate if they have changed their stance on returns since I doubt that QA has gotten any better at Asus or Corsair. (never buying a Corsair anything ever again)

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

dissss posted:

There simply aren't that many choices in 16:10 these days - you can buy a perfectly good 1920x1200 IPS Dell or HP office monitor but it isn't going to have gsync or high refresh rates or anything like that.

I'm fine with average monitors just they start at $200 unless I'm missing out on local deals. My main monitor cost $110 since 5 years ago.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Alder posted:

I'm fine with average monitors just they start at $200 unless I'm missing out on local deals. My main monitor cost $110 since 5 years ago.

16:10 is dead, and has been for years. So, yeah, if you're married to that exact resolution you're going to pay more for it now that it's a niche item. Also I'd imagine your 2012 $100 special wasn't an IPS, which is a pretty big difference. If you're ok with 1080p, you can get generic 24" IPS monitors for <$150: https://www.amazon.com/Acer-R240HY-bidx-23-8-Inch-Widescreen/dp/B0148NNKTC and better monitors for not much more (like the aforementioned Dells).

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Copper Vein posted:

Really? I used to order a lot of stuff from Newegg and out of, say 5 parts, one part would be defective. Seriously. Mobos, GPUs, RAM, PSUs, everything.

But Newegg never gave me any hassle in issuing an RMA. That's unfortunate if they have changed their stance on returns since I doubt that QA has gotten any better at Asus or Corsair. (never buying a Corsair anything ever again)

Well most video cards are "return for exchange" only now. So they wanted me to pull the card I just spent 700 bucks on, send it back, wait 3-5 days for them to send me a new card using 3 day shipping. So I would have been out 10 days for a brand new defective item. They refused to cross ship. At least I was able to convince them to let me order a new identical card and send back the dead one for refund.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Didn't Newegg get bought by another company in the past year or two? Might explain a drop in customer service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Copper Vein posted:

I've never had an issue with Newegg, beyond Egg Saver shipping being slow as balls. I changed my mind on an open-box 980 purchase and sent it back unopened, no restock fee. Never had any problems with anything arriving DOA.

On the subject of my eternal Microcenter fellatio: last week I accidentally bought a motherboard and CPU that aren't compatible (i3 7100 and Asus Z170 Gaming Pro). Tonight I had an online text chat with a tech at my local store who listened to my debugging procedure, recommended me relevant things to try (which I'd already done) and then told me to bring it in to either have the board flashed ($40) or exchanged (free). Standard exchange policy is 2 weeks, more or less no questions asked (manager's discretion, seldom refused).

Microcenter's prices are super absurd on XF270HUs by the way ($400+tax new). Less than AcerRecertified, for brand new monitors. If AMD actually made some loving 1080 Ti-competitive GPUs, I would probably actually sell my NVIDIA poo poo, buy two Vegas and three XF270HUs and do Eyefinity.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jun 13, 2017